FalconEV 19" triangle bag.

tnx Ohzee. As this is an ongoing project, my bike is looking different again. I now have almost everything in house to go 2WD. Just waiting for the right moment, and the Falcon bag, of course.

My bag needs to travel from US to CH, which during holidays may take a while. Given the good reviews above, my expectations are quite high... :D

Here is my newest build with the FalconEV bag.
IMG_20120109_105236.jpg

Damn that looks clean. I just shoved 12 6s 5000mah into mine.

Here is my bike with 12 6s 5000mah lipo's with a slight bit of room at the top.

20120109163810825.jpg

My bag arrived some time ago, but my triangle is too small. I will have to adjust the bag to fit my 6 pieces of 10S bricks inside the triangle and have the bag cover everything appropriately. This will take time, but I will definitely do it and post some pics. So far, the bag looks fine, sturdy, and of high quality. Happy!

Photo%2026-01-12%2016%2055%2044.jpg

It has 6 Zippy 10S bricks as 20S3P 74V 13.5Ah in it. That gives me a top speed of 58km/h and a range of approximately 45km until LVC (3.6V cell level).

ohzee said:
Damn that looks clean. I just shoved 12 6s 5000mah into mine.

Here is my bike with 12 6s 5000mah lipo's with a slight bit of room at the top.

20120109163810825.jpg

Mind cracking open the bag and showing us how the magic was done? :lol:
I know you can technically fit 12 packs in there, but it's definitely a squeeze.

Missed this last request sorry. It actually wasn't as tight as you'd think.. not sure if it's because I have mostly
zippie's and just a few turnigies ? tho the size difference is minimal. There was actually enough room at the
top I could have fit a controller in there granted the heat would have been bad.

I rode my bike in today , but only with 24s2p (damn that shit was fun on my ht).

Tonight I will place 12 of those in there and get a pic with it open.

So after the nice weather this week and riding my bike 3 times to work so far I take back the comment
about there being plenty of room for 12 6s 5000mah in this bag. Batteries fit fine , but throw in the harness
and it's a bit of a tight fit.. It works if you line it all up , but in a rush I even broke a zipper this morning (the pull part).

:(

Wanted to correct myself.

ohzee said:
So after the nice weather this week and riding my bike 3 times to work so far I take back the comment
about there being plenty of room for 12 6s 5000mah in this bag. Batteries fit fine , but throw in the harness
and it's a bit of a tight fit.. It works if you line it all up , but in a rush I even broke a zipper this morning (the pull part).

:(

Wanted to correct myself.

Thanks for the update. That sucks that you broke the zipper.

You know what would help? rotate the 4 packs in the middle about 90 deg. This will make them bulge out of the bag a little, but shouldn't interfere with pedaling. This gives you more room up top where you have those 4 diagonal packs.

That's how i successfully jammed 12 into my falconEV bag recently.

Also, loosen the top of your bag straps a little. That is a stress point, and one other member had a tear there once. Those look a little stressed.

Also consider fully cycle testing all your lipos ( just for safety ), then when you weed out the duds ( if you haven't already ), solder them up in permanent series and/or parallel groups to cut your wiring down. This is easier to do if you are using multiples of 10S or 12S and have a 10S or 12S capable charger.

Before this bag, i made an ammo case mount and all the wiring of an 10S 20AH pack prevented me from closing the box, and i eventually ended up scrapping the project.

29_betterparallel2.jpg

Ended up going perma-series since i had an iCharger 1010b+ to deal with the 10S groups. Soon, i will go perma-parallel for 2p ( 10AH ) groups. Cutting the wiring for 4 packs in 1/4th = pure win :)

My falcon ev bag has ripped :( the stitching has torn along the top end between the course outer layer and the nylon lining where it stitches onto the zip. My bag has always been a little bit of a strain to shut, to the point the zipper snapped off ages ago. Only carrying 12s 2p (4 packs total) in the bottom of the bag, but because the weight is at the bottom it sags on the right hand side making it difficult to close as the bag is unsupported on the bottom edge due to the large triangle size. Annoying as it's not weather proof anymore.

That sucks. The bag is really designed to have the weight rested on the bottom, the top straps don't do too much.
If it is difficult to close, it seems like the top tube would be supporting some of the weight, but that's a bad area to put stress.
For your frame, maybe you should make a supporting bar of some kind. I've had good results with my trek, probably because the bottom tube is sorta flat, preventing the left/right problem.

There are some other triangle bags out there, but they aren't as big. They would still warrant some investigation. I already wasted $$$ on the power in motion / crystalyte bag, so you guys get to be the guinea pigs for the other packs.. :p

haha love you neptronix - enjoy following your posts.

I loosened my top straps and thanks for the ideas. Luckily my frame is just right and the batteries actually do
rest on the bottom bar like they should. I am planning on ordering some of methtek's boards so may do something
more perm down the road.

Sorry yours tore Tom. I still have the opinion these are about the best triangle bag you can find.. Only negative I
think is the falcon on the side.

Will keep this thread updated on how mine works out.

If the bag was supported on the bottom I think it would be totally fine it's just because it's hanging from the top bar. Hardly any weight in there so it won't be stressing the frame too much. For the commuter I'm going to build a plywood box like shelbyelectros, bit more resiliant, If I can stitch up the Falcon EV bag I'll put it on my 17" frame hardrock as it fits like a glove in that frame and the load is more evenly distributed.

I added some steel strip support at the bottom of the bag held in place by the cup holder on the frame, makes a huge difference and that iswith 12 of those big chunky crappy 16Ah Headway cells that weigh a ton.

A while back, mine ripped from having the top straps too tight. The way I had it setup originally, the bag was suspended within the frame.

I fixed the rips with some safety pins and black duct tape. It doesn't look too bad (doesn't look great either,) but it's holding together fine for now. At some point it will need to be sewn up properly.

It now rests on the bottom bar when I ride, but due to my 22.5" frame I can only get the front two straps on the top bar.

I have one of these and you need to be careful about the weight. I overloaded mine when I first got it.

but since it was just a few weeks after I got it, Andy replaced it. as long as you dont overstuff it or exceed its weight carrying ability, they seem to work great.

Recently, he has upgraded the material. His new Gen. 2 bags have double the material strength , 600D to 1000D, I think that means Dieners... don't know the technical meaning but it has something to do with the type and thickness of the Nylon they use.

David

Is that Falcon name his brand or something ? Curious why it's on the side.. Good info thanks for sharing.
Hopefully I have one of the v2 bags.. I can honestly say it seems pretty damn sturdy all the way around.

Falcon EV bag seen here on my Schwinn, as you can see the frame is too big which has caused it to tear along to top. Still using it and it is still very much weatherproof. I would move it forward and down so it's resting on the down tube but the straps wont be long enough to support the back.

397825_10151264385895370_653260369_23070975_2035208214_n.jpg

any idea of a price on those neptronix? site dont show SH%@.

nonlineartom: Ive had some great experiences with professional tailors that could easily fix and modify your pack for very low prices, its a ten minute job for them. check it out.

V_Mark said:
I just received mine and can confirm that it will fit a 48v 15ah Ping. It's a little snug, but zippers have enough clearance. Plenty of room for padding except for the sides.

Can you post an open and closed pic of the Ping in there? I think that's what battery I'm going with.

Kinni420 said:
any idea of a price on those neptronix? site dont show SH%@.

nonlineartom: Ive had some great experiences with professional tailors that could easily fix and modify your pack for very low prices, its a ten minute job for them. check it out.

SInce that post I took it to a local tailors who stitched it up with a new patch of fabric, you can't tell it's been repaired at all. I've since build a wooden shelf on the frame to support the bottom of the bag so the seems aren't under load anymore

Whoops, didn't answer about the price..
Originally i paid about $45 but it's up to $50 or so now, shipped to the continental US.

Both of my falconEV bags are still in perfect shape.

Too bad they are problematic when it comes to building a dual suspension rig :(

he would do well to start selling a new version of the falcon EV bag which is split into two halves, hung over the top bar like a pannier sort of bag, but maintaining the same internal volume as the falcon EV split in 2 parts with a semi-rigid inwardly facing panels. Each side having 50mm space width wise to accomodate pretty much any LiPo pack.

He could sell that shit for $70 and people would buy it....

....anyone know some good manufactures?!

Back