RUST: DIY Hub Motor Repair & Restoration

Damn... you said it KF. Too bad english speaking folks usually don't do the hubmotor design - well, at least what is copied and ends up being the factory's recipe anyway :)

I always wondered how you were so sharp with this sort of thing.. 30 years as an engineer.. ok, it's all coming together now.

Still glued to this thread.. can't wait to see your results. Maybe then i'll stop being such a wimp and ride my hub motors in the rain.

dave, KF is an engineer's engineer. i kid you not, he was so confident in his design he got on the road and arrived here without even bringing along a voltmeter. he carried his wiring diagram on a sheet of paper in his tool kit.

we dissassembled then reassembled his bike in my driveway and we added internal stays to keep his liner off the rear wheel, and he fixed the brake switch, i cut off the extra length of aluminum bar sticking outa his charging rig so it would fit more easily in the bag, and just like that he took off and drove across oregon in like no time, got there in the afternoon way over in bend. a honda wagon fanatic friend of mine saw him going up hwy 26 to mt hood while he was driving back from repairing an expresso machine out there.

great thread, i think i will spray the inside of ever motor i open from now on, especially to seal the hall sensor legs from shorting with moisture.

Kingfish said:
miro13car said:
You want dealers to demand quality from China manufacturers?
You got to be kidding.
The first responds from manufactureres would be that they are going to increase prices.
No way you can have all your suggested improvements and still $200 USA dealer price on even medium size hub motor, even manuactured in China.
Anyway almost sure those improvements cannot be done in existing plants, no machinery
Name of the game in China brand manufature is - use cheapest parts and materials possible/
When I worked for the toy company many moons ago I wanted to make the batteries fit into the compartment in one direction; make the toy so that there was no +/- pole swapping. It turns out that this can be accomplished for ONE penny per unit; a single wire is all it takes. I told my boss he could take the penny out of my paycheck. Management agreed it was silly to save a penny for the trouble it caused consumers, so I got my wish. :D

Let’s evaluate the cost of my proposals:

• Sealing the stators is like adding a coat of paint, one thick coat, or maybe two thin ones. The cost is less than a quarter dollar per unit at 10,000 units/month. Gosh, no more rust, and way-happy consumers. Was that expensive to accomplish? No – it’s easy-peasy, and I know China can do it cos we’re already getting starters and alternators from them.
  • Venting: The hub covers are cast aluminum. Mod the mold for say - $1000; it’s probably a lot less. It’s just an insert into the mold; they do it all the time. Part is now vented at the seam along the periphery. This is their design flaw: They should eat the cost.
  • Axle bearings: There are two bearings per motor. One is a sealed bearing, and the other is not: It uses a rubber seal that costs nearly as much as the bearing. Get rid of the unsealed bearing and rubber seal and replace it with a sealed marine-grade bearing. Money is saved, enough I’d wager to pay for the two fixes above.
  • Connectors: Gosh, if they use the USB Mini-B along with an APP clone connector, well – the Mini-B is pre-formed in massive counts, and all they have to do is snake the other end of the cable through the axle and mate it up with the HE sensors. Money is saved cos they don’t have to assemble the Molex connector. And money is saved cos they don’t have to add the nut/washer; they can just remain packaged in a plastic bag tossed into the box. Man – we are saving money left and right! Let’s spend that coin on upgraded phase wires; should only cost us about another quarter dollar.
  • Disc Brake interface: Once the unit is assembled, during the functional Q/C test, take 1.5mm off the flange side where the disc is going to mate so that it is FLAT and PERPENDICULAR to the axle. Not a big expense; maybe takes a dollar to do that step, maybe… They have to Q/C the motor anyway so that they know it works, at least – that’s what we do in my country. And as for making the motor compatible with American and European calipers, well we are back to the business of making product that matches our market. If they can’t swim in our pond, if they can’t cook in our kitchen, then THEY NEED TO GO HOME and think about who they are trying to sell to cos we’re not a bunch of idiots…
Or maybe we are! :p Maybe we are just that weak, stupid, and ignorant. BTW – I have some swampland in Florida I would like to sell to you. And whilst I’m at it, lemme sell you some unprotected motors that don’t exactly fit your standard, and we won’t guarantee quality either, but you are going to buy them cos it’s YOU (the general consumer) that are cheap cos you are eager to put up with it!

I’ve been an engineer for over 30 years. I’ve quit jobs if I thought the client was deceitful. I won’t make or ship shit that I wouldn’t buy. My role in this hobby is to learn. Make something work off-the-shelf. Great, now I’ve done that. Now I am paying the price for choosing these particular motors. But let’s make one thing perfectly clear: What other country is making this class of motor for bicycles? Germany? Japan? United States? Maybe in limited quantities… I struggled to find them. The practical choice came down to Crystalyte, 9C, Bionix, Golden Motor… Not a huge selection out there. :roll:

As I said earlier, I’m ready to build my own motor. The links to that study are in my sig. I only want to make two: one for the front, and one for the rear. I want to go fast! I want to be free! If it works and people like what they see, well – that could be another project. 8)

The continuing saga of the motor R&R:

• Second coat of Rust-Mort has been applied this evening. I decided to do this outside under cover from wind and rain. It was far less stanky. I waited a bit before bringing the stators in. The change is not obvious since the remaining rust is slight.
  • Also tonight I treated the rotors for the first time. I’ll upload pictures when they dry.

One step at a time.
Thanks for the support and encouragement, KF

Seems that most motors have one problem or another. My brand new C-lyte 3540 has wire damage without even being on the bike yet so I had to pull it apart and make a cover to keep the wires from getting completely worn through in < hundred miles. What no testing anything before it is put on the market? My BMC's both had poorly machined axles as well as other problems. Looks like you are doing it right now anyway so they should last for awhile. But really it would not take much for the manufacturer to do it right in the first place.

it is almost funny how people buy China brand product and try to apply Western quality standarts to it when this product costs like 10% of cost of equivalent ofWestern product.
It anly seems that it can be improved so easly, really that easly?
if they have like thousands to make in a year?
you forgot there is cost to improvement.
I charge you 190 bucks only but....You improve it yourself , it is untold truth for China brand.
It is simply NOT ready to use motor,etc.
Example new ht/hs series motors from China factory.

I’m confused…
A starter motor/Alternator is well-made because by contract it has to pass muster of State/Fed Code. Those costs are reasonable. The DD hub motors I have been referencing are simpler than those items and yet they have the same price. One person told me that 9C hubs are produced at a rate of 40k/month; that’s one factory in China, and there are many. The cost of production is wrapped around the first five, ten units, 100, even 1000; when working out the quality and supply-line issues.

Personally, I enjoy my job when I can walk out into Production, inspect The Line, interview assemblers and managers to see how things are going… It’s the feedback that’s important: It could be just the smallest thing, maybe a radius on the corner, or if this part was threaded we could save a nut and washer. :)

Basic Engineering Principle: Spend 10% more on Engineering the product correctly, and save 120% in Support and Service. Many in upper management never get this at all: They think that by rushing the product to market, or by shaving a few cents on unit production that they are making huge profits, however the truth is that a lot more is spent in supporting and servicing flawed product, especially in Software (such as lack of proper documentation). It’s the reason why we’ve evolved into a throw-away society: Cheaper to chuck it. That is until someone else figures out that there’s a lot of rare metals being tossed into our garbage. Next thing you know, we’re digging up our own compost, off-shoring salvage to a nation with little thought on human rights where they send their children in to go and dig out the gold. :(

Second part that is costly is gaining the bad wrap: Make a good product and eventually people will find it, with opposite is true for bad. Levis, Coke (Coca-Cola) Kleenex, Google: Good products, so reputable that it became part of language. Bad products we will never forget: Corvair, Betamax, New Coke, Windows ME. Speaking of Microsoft, product development of the last fifteen years often appears like they will create five independent teams, seed them with a concept and delivery date, then step back and watch them duke it out. The winner is often not the best engineered solution, but the one that has the best political chops. Is the cost of that development MY FAULT? That is the American Brand of today fostered by flawed Corporate Management. The problem is that these people have never been in War, and I’m not talking Corporate War.

In real honest to goodness War, where people’s lives are at stake, where the Nation depends upon Service and Quality instead of Power and Profit, when Resources are rare, where the Supply Chain is at risk of collapse, there is zero room for error. A company that makes shitty product doesn’t survive for long; it’s nationalized. Here’s a great story that was born out of WWII: Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing. 8)

Yes, this seems like a dry boring spec, but to me – it’s the dream come true! This is how we won the last Great War: Disparate allied countries making usable products that fit across the seas by defining a common international standard and adhering to it. We consumers appear to be willing to ignore the standard for cheap product. Actually – allow me to correct myself: I have little tolerance for shitty product that is deceptively packaged, where suppliers attempt to train us that shitty product is acceptable, and that it’s OUR FAULT the components rust out. What a total scam! :eek:

When I buy clothes, I look at the label: Where is it made? I am not anti-PRC; I am against being forced-fed to accept corruption in Government, in Management, and in the supply chain. You don’t buy moldy fruit and vegetables at your local supermarket, and the employees of the supermarket certainly will not tell you that moldy fruit and vegetables are good for you, and that it’s your fault for not accepting them – do they? An impoverished country may not have that choice – but WE, as free peoples, DO have a choice!

The cost of making something correct isn’t that much at all when you step back and take in the whole enchilada and imagine: What is the cost of supporting flawed product? What is the cost of my safety if this unit fails at a critical time of need? Is my Life worth it, to continue to support entities that do not serve us properly, that overtly deceive us?

My first two motors won’t be cheap. But then – I expect that. The cost of creating those units, the special tooling and programming of the CNC machines is expensive – but then it’s only paid once. All that’s left is material, assembly time, and packaging scaled directly to quantity discount with ample time to avoid rush charges. Economy of Scale.

I just like creating fun, and watching others enjoy my toys! That’s what I have time for… :wink:
My inner-child is never stilled for long, KF

Status – January 11th

It’s been hell-busy at work and I haven’t been able to take off for a long lunch to discuss the hub cover repairs with the machinist… but soon, very soon. In truth, I’ve been sitting on my arse cos it’s colder than my x-mother-in-laws’ love out thar. However, I did promise some pictures a while back – so here they are. :)

These are the rotors after one Rust-Mort treatment.

P1-1111FH03.jpg

Original rusty buggers

P1-1112.RH04.jpg

After the Vinegar treatment

P1-1211.FH01.jpg

FH: After one Rust-Mort treatment

P1-1211.FH02.jpg

FH: full view.

P1-1211.RH03.jpg

RH: It’s pretty much the same shape; incrementally better and needing another dose.

There’s still a long ways to go. The stators are not that much improved since the last time; you’d hardly notice between the two coats if I took a picture of it, so I’ll wait till the end before I go and varnish it all.

Rotors: The part that worries me a little is how the residue has migrated between the magnets; I should probably get a toothpick or hard plastic bit in there and try to scrap that out. Rotors could definitely take one more treatment. Stators need one more fer sure, and that might be it; nearly done. :)

Cheers, KF

We’ve had snow for a week. Yesterday it began to melt; there’s still a lot on the ground in the form of wet mashed-potatoes. Today the weatherman says it got to 42°F. That’s good enough for me. :D

I spent the last 90 minutes outside cleaning the scale off using a stainless steel snipped spoke-end that had a nice sharp edge to it cos it’s not attracted to the magnets. Did a reasonable job. Pooped out though from scrubbing away removing black scale and acid deposits. Hands were cold and stiff and I thought about calling it a day, but – I really what to finish this, so I applied yet another coat to both rotors and stators. This might be the last round; it’s looking very good with only a couple of spots of rusty patina left.

Tapped off the excess out in the drive; the melt will wash it away. I think it’s plenty aerated; the acid out-gasses most went reacting, and that part is done. Waited about 15 minutes and brought it in whilst still a bit wet for it to finish up and dry. I’ve had the heater going full bore all week, so the humidity is very low; should dry out in no time. But I have to say: Even at 42°F, this Rust-Mort stuff reacts right away; you can see the change in the metal within 30 seconds.

When this is settled (fingers-crossed starting tomorrow) and I am convinced it doesn’t need another coat, the next steps will be:
  • Clean off the last of the residue and wash the treated parts.
  • Upgrade the wiring on the Rear Hub.
  • Varnish both rotors and stators (needs a warmer day).
  • Prep the covers for the machinist, and have him replace the bearings and seals, and vent the sides.
  • Reassemble.
  • Pray it works.

Working with that acid, my hands have never been so clean! :shock: :)
~KF

Superbowl Sunday
Waiting around for the game to start, I became ambitious and decided to wash the residue from the stators; it was caked on pretty good so I gave it a ½ hour soak in a tub full of warm water. The crust did not want to loosen up with the toothbrush, but my fingernail did the try. They are now drying out. I am looking for any new rust to form as a test to see if the Rust-Mort treatment did what it advertised.

The hub covers' brake-side already had the discs removed so there was no extra work before cleaning. Here I used a bottle of white vinegar that I keep around for laundry and stainless. Just a small splash into the bell of each cover and I went at it with the toothbrush consuming the rusty residue and attacking the surface where the bearings are inserted. The vinegar did a very good job of removing those crusty surfaces. Rinse & repeat & rinse: They are as clean as coldwater can get them.

Reminds me of a joke:
  • Grown son off to visit his Dad who’s really getting on in his years. Dad makes dinner. Son is putting the plates on the table. “Dad, these plates don’t look very clean.” :(

“They’re as clean as coldwater can get them!” the old man replies.

Son is placing flatware down and notices debris still clinging… he wipes them down with a towel and says “Dad, this silverware still has crusty bits on it.” :?

Again – “There as clean as coldwater can get them!” his Dad grumbles.

Food is on the table and they eat. With dinner finished, his son says “Here Dad, let me do the dishes…” :)

But the old man replies, “Oh no, I’ve got them.” He whistles twice sweetly “Here Coldwater, come on boy…” and in comes the happy dog all tail-wagging…

Moral of the story: If someone says it’s as clean as cold water can get them, go back and wash’m again! :shock:

I plan to do one final clean & Rust-Mort treatment to the hub covers once I get them back from the Machinist. :wink:

The rotors do need washing too, but that can wait a bit longer. I misread the Rust-Mort directions: It essentially guides the user to remove the majority of the debris with a wire brush, though leave some residue behind for the chemical to bind with. This creates the “coating”. Applying 3-4 layers thinly builds up the protection. Then wait 24 hours to completely dry, and then apply the Bondo or whatever body filler and priming. Evidently the coating is not that long-lived before it can become compromised. I can see what they are talking about with the rotors: There’s a white precipitate that has formed where the acid has continued to do its’ work. The stators weren’t too bad and I was catching it every time by scraping it off before the next treatment. The reality is that if it hand not been so dang cold outside this job would have long been completed. Anyway – take it from me, go with all speed to complete the steps; it should be a warm-weather task that goes quickly rather than slow and dodgy in the winter. :roll:

OK, I’m ready for the big game, so…
Rootin’ for no one in particular, KF

Day after Valentine’s
Last week I took the hub covers down to a motorcycle shop a few blocks away from my client; they said it would be no problem to the work:

• Pull out the old seals
  • Replace the rusty bearings
  • And ventilate the covers with 3 holes equidistant at 1/8th inch diameter.
Took two days, and about $110 for labor after tax. I spaced and only had one set of seals, so the second set was ordered Monday morning before dawn on the west coast to a company on the east coast. Service this time was pdq: The package arrived this afternoon! Here’s the pic:

P1-HubRustR&R0.jpg

The black bearings are a little stiff; smooth but with resistance. Not terribly worried. The brick-red bearings are silky smooth and rotate freely. The seals pressed in without much trouble; I didn’t have a mallet though was able to tap them in using the plastic-end of the screwdriver and a hammer. Good to go.

One last slap of Rust-Mort on the steel parts of the covers and that will be that. Stators need one slap as well, but before I can do that, I need to upgrade the phase wiring on the rear hub.

One small step for man, KF

Keep up the good word i hope everything turn up fine or even better when you put everything back together looking forward to seeing everything completed ! Almost makes me want to open up my motor that i have had for three years in all types weather and never opened it up :)

Rust & Restoration – The Saga Continues

Greetings ye kindred ebike wayfarers. It has been a long cold lonely winter. Then spring came and went. Now, we have the Seattle-equivalent of summer, which just means the rains are warmer than in the deep darkness of winter. There’s a big orange glowy thing in the sky that scares me. Some call it “the son”, but I don’t what son they mean. Anyways, it rarely rears its’ head. Now back to rain…

Confession time:
Last November when all this shite went down, I somehow pulled tendons or ligaments in my left knee at home. Might have bumped it on the coffee table... it's a mystery, however is was really super painful and felt like I had been hit with a crowbar by some hired thug of an embittered ice skater. Anyways, this event happened around mid-November, hobblingly about though I could still barely ride the ebike. When the second motor rusting out, it was pure suffering trying to do this work on my knees. For therapy, I had the leg raised most of the time, eating Ibuprofen like popcorn, and did a lot of walking. It wasn’t getting any better. Weeks, then months went by with improvement, then relapse. Finally saw a sports-doctor last month and he just put me on stronger pain meds and said to bare through it cos there’s no meniscus damage, and gave it a name: Quadriceps tendonitis. The situation has improved; I've been walking 12 miles or more/week, the knee is stronger and less painful. I’m back at the repairs for the past couple of weeks.

Status as of yesterday:
Repairs were idled but I finally got on the stick and started wrapping things up. The weather since July 4th had become noticeably warmer and stayed in the mid-70s for days since. I been waiting for this so I could varnish the parts.

Since sitting for so long, both stators picked up a tiny bit more oxidation; I hate to say rust – though it was discoloration from the humidity. Bought a small wire wheel and cleaned them all up bright and spiffy.

P1-1207.FH01.jpg

Front Stator

P1-1207.RH01.jpg

Rear Stator - taped and ready to go. Used Liquid Tape to seal the HE solder joints at the lower-right.

Parallel to all this, I took the hub covers over to a local mechanic that does R&R on ICE; I wagered correctly that he had a bead-blaster. Wasn’t having much fun using the wire wheel on the covers to remove the build-up, but for $50 he kindly cleaned them all up real purdy-like. Picked them up on Friday the 13th. Gave the ventilation holes a slight debur/chamfer and wiped them down with alcohol.

The rotors were also cleaned-up one last time and wiped down. Then spent 4 days varnishing using the same stuff as DocBass except I liked the green color better – being EV and all. Or it could have been that was the green stuff was the automotive/industrial strength… whatever. Doesn’t matter now; I’ve got the goods in hand and it worked pretty well. With varnish, spray on light layers and allow to cure, otherwise it stays tacky for a long time and is a pain to handle the parts cos yer off to the sink trying to scrub it off yer hands. PitA.

P1-1207.01.jpg

Finished Results

Closeup of Rear. This stator got the phase wire upgrade this time around. The Front already had the mod applied last year. During the 2011 road trip, the rear phase wires did become very hot. I pulled Ethernet sans outer sheath (24-AWG x 8 ) + Phase Wire (12-AWG x 3 ) through the axle which only had the stator-side exit hole cleaned out nice and smooth. It took about an hour, maybe two of cussing and swearing like a sailor to work the wires through using Teflon Grease for lube.

P1-1207.RH03.jpg

Here’s a close-up of the varnished rotor. Compare this to the rusty original.

P1-1111FH03.jpg

Was :x

P1-1207.RH02.jpg

Is now :D

The Stator-side exit hole was covered over using Liquid Tape. It took several coats. When dried, if feels a little waxy like Polyethylene, but is actually quite durable. The Liquid Tape is really best for coating statically affixed connections; do not use it on wire that flexes otherwise it will crack.

P1-1207.FH02.jpg

The bead-blast really did a remarkable job on these hub covers! Front & Rear shown. So much better-looking than that ugly scale.

P1-1207.RH04.jpg

Halls on the Front Stator. The Rust-Mort really cleaned off the corrosion well for varnishing.

P1-1207.FH03.jpg

P1-1207.FH04.jpg

Top view

Another compare/contrast: On the left is an original never-been-used stator next to the varnished unit.

P1-1207.02.jpg

Everything is set for assembly. I can't begin to tell you how much time and money I've spent on this repair, but at least I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. More in a bit.
~KF

Extremely cool. Can't wait to see how it goes.

T'anx Nep :)

Small Issues:
The FH has been reassembled and is on the ebike ready for a freewheel test. Without power, it spins with little effort and feels solid. I have to put together a battery pack before proceeding; briefly... the battery harness and batts were stripped for evaluation (another small project altogether).

So far so good, except that when I reassembled the RH, there was some minor rubbing. Took it apart again and the HE wires were wearing away. How could this be? I tried to bind it closer, moosh it down better, reassembled & tested – slightly better but still rubs. Anger set in and I was a bit aggressive and tore a HE wire off the sensor. Now it’s buggered good. :oops: I tried to solder it back but the solder won’t take to the wire. WTF? :evil: I finally gave up and chiseled out the HE sensors and ordered replacements yesterday from Digikey – Honeywell SS41, Qty-10… in case the FH has issues too. Anyways, those items will be here in a few days.

I also ordered the EC5 connectors from HK on July 12th; checked the status and they’re in New York as of the 16th. Hopefully everything will come together soon: New battery harness sans pesky APP, refurbished and rust-resistant hubs, winning lotto ticket… er… um, well 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. :wink: