Kona Caldera 48v AerodriveXP

cajunjay

1 W
Didnt take that long once joining the forum, my bike is almost ready.

Turnigy AerodriveXP 170kv 3250
Hall sensors
4x 22.2V 5000mah
48v 350w controller (cuts out when I give any juice)

Reduction drive unit

Motor has 16t pully which drives a 72t pully which is connected to a jackshaft, this then drives a 11t sprocket which turns the rear sprocket 65t.

Im well happy I have gotten this far fairly quickly, with the help I must say from a member on here.

I just got the chain put on today and strapped the battery onto the frame with duct tape, Plugged everything in and went for a test run in the garden.
The controller just kept cutting out when I gave it any juice, it does spin a little then it cuts out. I have been told there are solutions for this hopefully it will get sorted.

Anyway here it is.

Attachments

• ekona.jpg
    ekona.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,737
There is lots of info about this cutting out problem in this thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16910
The quickest way to fix this on a untouched controller is to solder a resistor across the surface mount cap ( but you need a steady hand ). If you go down the route of re-programming your controller ( which you will do ) then you may want to get your self a usb to ttl converter and solder some wires ( plug ) into the controller ready to start playing with the settings. some info can be found in this thread on how to program http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14807 Lots of reading to do and a very steep learning curve, but well worth it.

Hey Gwhy, what happened to your post count? I KNOW you posted more than 4 times? Glad to have you back!

Hiya mate,
Yes, my account got screwed up for some reason so this was the only way I could get back on ( had to make a new account, so I lost all my PM's as well but I will still get notification of new pms' into my old account but I will not be able to read them ).
Im glad to be back :D ,
Cheers.

I opened up my controller and found the bit where I need to solder a resistor (C20)

There is noway I could manage that its tiny and my solderinf skills are terrible at best. Looks like Im gonna have to program the controller :(

Okay so the bike is up and running, been over a week now and its a loads of fun, only been riding it locally around my neighbourhood and have been getting tons of confused looks and people shouting thats cool etc.

This morning I let the missus have a go and she gave it full throttle going up a big kerb, thing is she didnt make it up the kerb but went straight into it at full throttle the motor tried spinning but it all went dead.

I checked the motor and it was still cold like usual and also the controller, so I opened the controller and got a really slight smell but nothing major and cannot see anything that could have burnt out.

Need some advice guys. :(

Hi guys

Ive just bought a 48v 500w Cyclone kit to use on my Kona jump bike.

This bike runs on 24" wheels and runs fairly smooth on Maxxis Holy rollers, Ive been reading some threads where others are using the same kit and one guy said the battery consumption is really bad on these kits especially 500w, he mentioned that he gets the same consumption form his 1500w hub motor setup.

I just ordered myself a 48v 15ah battery and now im thinking it wont be enough, Im only looking for about a 12mile trip at average speeds say 15-20mph and mainly flat ground will this be enough battery?

Thanks in advance

If you can't ether you or your bike need to go on a major diet. Assuming it's a good pack of course. I used to run a 360w Cyclone on 24v and got about 15 miles on an 18ah lead pack. On a 20ah lifepo4 pack I had no problem doing 20 25 miles and 30% was with no peddling.

Bob

Sounds okay then I suppose.

My battery pack is a fairly cheap one as Im staying in china for 6 months so bought it from a store I found.

So your saying I might be okay for a 12 mile trip? You old setup was 24v 360w and you did okay on a 18ah lead acid setup which is promising for me.

Maybe I should have went with a 24v kit instead of the 48v one as this is gonna use up my battery so much faster, or even just went with a hub motor setup which isnt gonna be as much fun as I wanted some torque for off road sometimes.

cajunjay said:
Hi guys

Ive just bought a 48v 500w Cyclone kit to use on my Kona jump bike.

This bike runs on 24" wheels and runs fairly smooth on Maxxis Holy rollers, Ive been reading some threads where others are using the same kit and one guy said the battery consumption is really bad on these kits especially 500w, he mentioned that he gets the same consumption form his 1500w hub motor setup.

I just ordered myself a 48v 15ah battery and now im thinking it wont be enough, Im only looking for about a 12mile trip at average speeds say 15-20mph and mainly flat ground will this be enough battery?

Thanks in advance

cajunjay

Where did you get a 48 Volt 500 watt cyclone kit.

I thought they only came in 24 Volt and an internal controler on the 500 watt kit.

Rick

I have to admit I too thought the smaller Cyclones were all 24v. In any case 500w is 500w regardless of the voltage. So there is no more consumpsion from the batter at 48v 500w then at 24v. The advantage of the higher voltage is you can use smaller wiring.

Yeah, I had no problem with the lead packs on my 360w. And a lifepo4 pack should be better. Of course that will always depend on the quality of the cells. The big problem with the 500w Cyclone is they consume a lot of power under high loads. So if your pack is has a low C rating be damn sure you peddle on starts and make use of your low gears.

Bob

You should easily get 12 miles on a 15ah pack @ 15-20mph. I had a 48v 1200w setup and constantly got over 30km / 19miles from it with a 12s / 15ah lipo drawing up to 2000w peaks.

A few things i learnt with the Cyclones (the 1200w atleast):

*Pedal - this really helps with range and speed.

*Use the gears - don't be lazy with gear selection and try not to lug/under rev the motor. Always start from a stand-still in 1st or 2nd gear.

*Don't bother using the 44t or 48t front chain wheel for pedaling, its too taller gearing for the motor to really pull.
Use the 44t or 48t to go to the 14t motor sprocket and use the 32t or 34t chainwheel to go to the back wheel.
I used a 32t and could still reach 64kph on a flat pathway with slick tyres on the bike. Its also much better for hill climbing.

*WOT for extended periods will see the motor starting to get quite hot, this could effect efficiency... The Cyclone heatsinks will help counter this, worthwhile getting.

I hope this helps :)

Paul :D

Back