Ebike Project 72V HS3540 UK "build thread" +Videos!

Damn, I don't think I would ever be able to live with myself if I had that much stuff on my handlebars. How's the motor holding up? Is it getting warm on trips? Are you pushing the full 72V 40amps into the motor yet? :evil:

Trackman417 said:
Damn, I don't think I would ever be able to live with myself if I had that much stuff on my handlebars. How's the motor holding up? Is it getting warm on trips? Are you pushing the full 72V 40amps into the motor yet? :evil:
YOU ARE THE 100th POST! :mrgreen: lol
Yea its not too bad having that on my handlebar, but some of us in this forum do have insane amount of stuff on it :shock:
And yes I&ve run full 83v 50amps into the motor and since UK has been so cold my motor is doing perfect! :wink: Infact I can WOT for 5min and still dont get warm! but then the controller do get little warm :roll:

Haha well that's good! And yeah that's true about some people having so much more stuff on the bike than you do.
That's really awesome the motor doesn't get hot WOT riding at that power. I was hearing so many stories about the HX motors over heating that I was getting concerned and I'm going to run 40 amps do that should make a big difference in heating as well 8)

Well, recently (last week) I had a problem with connectors getting wet by the snow and my mud guard being useless...so I bought these from eBay and hoping to prevent my connectors getting wet.
Does anyone know better ways of waterproofing connectors while still being able to connect and disconnect the wires?

My multi Switch arrived today! so this is my plan, I'm going to swap green horn push switch to normal switch so that push and it will stay on.
I didnt realise horn switch is smaller than red switch,,,but little sanding and all perfect! now my switch can turn on off my lights and controller!
(haven't thought about what R/L switch should do yet...)
ViewImage.aspx

IMG-20120215-00572.jpg
also my BMS charger that are broken; Im trying to fix it so I'll upload few pictures when I know the problem...
but mean while here is what they look like inside:

IMG-20120214-00551.jpg

I've been away over the weekend and didn't get to ride it due to something went wrong with my motor and it started to make vibrating sound and no power...I suspected water got into halls connectors while its been snowing.
I've checked all and finally when I was about to give up I saw this...

they are suppose to be waterproof as well as that, I put so many layers of heat shrink and all....I've cleaned them up and now its back and running :D

On other news, I couldn't figure out what went wrong with my BMS Charger 2 so I've decided to transplant broken parts from charger 2 to 1 and see if I can get one of them working...

Its been quite a while since my last post but yet again, I made silly mistake...I accidentally shorted my battery for the second time. (Never charge when ur tired). I've checked the cells and they look fine (thank god!)
I haven't had time to make any upgrade or add switches but I'll do them soon.

Interesting news: my from speedometer has gone crazy when I hit 58mph going down the hill and it think it did 90mph!!IMG-20120227-00594.jpg

Last night I took my shorted connectors and replaced with new sets and here is what I saw... :shock:IMG-20120306-00611.jpg
I never thought those massive connectors could melt...

Nightmare Rio, electricity can melt a lot of things, I remember taking a factory apart and as I was disconnecting a wire from a live socket (some idiot was supposed to have shut it down) there was a big blue flash and the electricity melted the screwdriver, it actually cut the end clean off!!!

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

electr0n said:
How did that happen to your connectors? Did positive touch negative?
I was balance charging four sets of 5s2p and I've accidentally plunged battery and battery together instead of battery to the charger.

Its been a LOOONG time since I updated! so here is whats going on!
My laptop died(7years old) so I decided to clean it up and upgrade to new HDD plus installed ubuntu(no virus) :mrgreen: ...then I've got my self chain cleaning tool from ebay>>>
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-cleaner.htm
It is super effective! I really do recommend you guys to get this :wink:

Here is state on my ebike>
IMG-20120402-00647.jpg
Currently no change other than cleaner chain, disk brakes and a new side mirror :)
I do recommend using "white lightning Clean Streak" it removes all the dirt/oil/lube with strong degreaser spray and at the same time the liquid evapurates so no need to wipe them after! disk is now soo much stronger without squeaking! :D i've used it for chain cleaning as well!

Almost forgot, BMSBattery are doing sale at moment any all the charger has reduced price! since I am still struggling to fix mine I've got myself 400w charger for only $40!!

Looks good! However one thing that is concerning me ought now is where u placed ur lock. I mean sure it's a good place to put it, but if it some how gets caught in the spokes and you are at speed, you could get thrown off the handlebars. :cry:
I hope this helps!

Trackman417 said:
Looks good! However one thing that is concerning me ought now is where u placed ur lock. I mean sure it's a good place to put it, but if it some how gets caught in the spokes and you are at speed, you could get thrown off the handlebars. :cry:
I hope this helps!

Hahahaha funny how ur the first person to mention that :lol: , I've actually already had this problem but what happened was my lock just got ripped off the mount and nothing was seriously damaged :p but If you can think of better placement I would love to hear about it!

How about rotating it so the lock is facing the other way? So when it bounces into the spokes the spokes will spit the cables out.

Finally, I bought another BMS charger (this time is 400w) cos it was cheap....I can finally charge bulk again! :mrgreen:
I didnt notice before but 400w charger is inch smaller than 600w ones...which is quite handy for the size!
IMG-20120419-00682.jpg
Also another good news, Doc's torque plates has arrived so i can now officially use regen setting on my bike! :D
IMG-20120419-00684.jpg

Bad news...Yet again by BMS charger let me down :evil: charged my battery half way and capacitor seem to have blown up :roll:
Im going to make the complain and might as well try nd replace the cap...but I think from now on i'll use Original KP charger fromhttp://www.evassemble.com they are better quality then BMSbattery so if anyone planning to get them...DONT!

Edit:
here is the picture of what seems to have gone wrong...
2012042006580001.jpg
2012042006580000.jpg

Yeah I think you should stop buying chargers from BMS lol
Just my $.02

Trackman417 said:
Yeah I think you should stop buying chargers from BMS lol
Just my $.02
well I agree with you on that. but since my complaint seem to have gone through. they told me they'll send me a new one asap! :mrgreen:
But then I didnt want 400w so I asked them if you could send me a 600w ones..then they said no problem! :shock: So! I will wait and see how that'll treat me...

I have looked around for alternative ones and I think this is the best you can buy!
http://www.evassemble.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&sort=20a&page=2
Ev assemble looks like the original source of alloy shell but they are much better and they do offer warranties :wink:

pchen92 said:
Did you modify the charger so it can charge your lipo up to 4,15V/cell ? Or do you use it @ 83,6V ?
Thanks
I didnt make any modification so yes they are just charge to 83.6v...but in case your wondering about the individual cell then I've got battery medics to balance them while bulk charging :wink:

pchen92 said:
And you plug the battery medic everytime you use the batteries ? ie when charging and discharging them ?
How many of them are you using ? 4 ?
What's your range ?

thanks
yea i use them once in few charges not all the time. ( I've never discharged my batteries lol)
yea i've got 4 of them so that i use one per 5s2p.
I've got 10Ah but I use only 8Ah, since I pedal quite alot and I dont go WOT so i get range of about 20~30miles

Back