Search problems, fixes, suggestions (merged threads)

I have the opposite problem--the View New Posts page for me is always many many pages long, even if I mark all the forums read! This is true on the other V3.x forums I've visited, too, but was not the case in 2.x.

"View New Posts" was working ok for me until today, but now I get just a few results if I am logged in, once I logout I get 1000+ results again.
Was getting sql errors early today. Any end in sight of getting this php version running well? This one seems to need more than one fix.

Hrmmmm...

"View new posts" just flaked. It went from displaying seven pages of topics to just seven topics .

Clicking through each forum is gonna be tedious. :(

Hrmmmm...

"View new posts" just flaked. It went from displaying seven pages of topics to just seven topics .

Logged-out, then logged-in and all "new" were gone.

Clicking through each forum is gonna be tedious. :(

O, so I'm not losing my mind, and everyone hasn't stopped posting on anything other than

A. topics I've already posted on and
B. Dogs eating egregious amount of butter.

safe.

Attachments

• Spoked Cycle Wheel.jpg
    Spoked Cycle Wheel.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 4
grindz145 said:
O, so I'm not losing my mind, and everyone hasn't stopped posting on anything other than <snip>
No, we haven't stopped posting everywhere else, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you're losing your mind. :p

How about now? When I checked, I had pages of active topics. I did notice they put a hard 1,000 limit when you select the "show me all posts forever" option.

amberwolf said:
grindz145 said:
O, so I'm not losing my mind, and everyone hasn't stopped posting on anything other than <snip>
No, we haven't stopped posting everywhere else, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you're losing your mind. :p

Good call. I mean there are still the voices...

I just spent a few minutes trying to search this forum for Turnigy 63-64 B motor and got thousands of hits..but the first half dozen or so pages were either hits with only the word Turnigy or the Turnigy 80-100 - this motor seems to have developed a cult following on these pages ;) Can someone point me to a place where I can hone my searching skills?

Try using "Turnigy 63-64" :
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=%22Turnigy+63-64%22&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Using 'Topic titles only' helps a ton.

Google searches this site much better though.

If you want to search just the topic titles select "search within topic titles only" and "display results as topics". I find myself doing this most of the time I search.

The search here may not be perfect, but it's miles ahead of other sites. I usually use the built in search instead of google here. :)

The phpbb search function is not very good, and seems to be getting worse.
Have no fear, though, Google can be used much more effectively.

Just go to google and enter your search term followed by a space and
site:endless-sphere.com

You can also use cool functions like the image search and you are much more likely to find what you are looking for.

The ES search window has gotten less helpful as the site has gotten larger. I don't know anything about the IT stuff, but Its possible to search ES using Google. I stumbled across this help graphic and thought I'd post it in ES, so I can find this again by looking at my posts...

GmFOs.jpg

Thanks for that Google has a habit of coming up with more relevant results and less junk most of the time.

One of those things you feel too stupid to ask. Thanks, SM. 8)

Back