Hobbie or a Tool ?

mxer

1 kW
Proberly a silly question but what is your bike ? A hobbie or a Tool used for work etc ? Mine is a Tool i use to get to work and that was it, But with my choice of Lipo just recently has now slightly turned me into a bit of a hobbie head as there is sooo much to learn and BUY!!! Lol..But primarly it's a Tool i use to earn me money by getting me to work!!! :roll:

So yeah, Simple question is your bike a Tool or a Hobbie ?

I use it for exercising mostly. The motor provides some resistance yet allows me to get there a lot faster if I want to.Ttrips to store or across town. Don't work. Retired 10 years ago

A tool for every day commute, although it wouldn't be necessary for that purpose of 2 Km city ride that I can walk in 20 minutes.

They are toys mostly, motor sport toys to ride the mountain trails.

With six ebikes, some are tools, and some are toys. All are fun, since all tools are also fun.

Definitely a tool for my commute, when i have a day off i go for a ride sometimes... In that case is a cool hobby.

for me, a tool, toy and learning aid. Studying electronic engineering so a good practical application of knowledge. not that EE is really required to build an ebike.

sn0wchyld said:
for me, a tool, toy and learning aid. Studying electronic engineering so a good practical application of knowledge. not that EE is really required to build an ebike.

I would think EE is a LOT harder than putting together an ebike. Building a controller/charger/motor, that seems more on par.

My ebike is a very fun tool, can't get better than that. If it weren't for the ebike, I wouldn't get out nearly as often. I always look for excuses to take it out.

A tool, commuting wise. It's not the prettiest, fastest or quietest. But it does allow mento do a 22mile round trip for pennies. So much so that I no longer use a car and it's saved me £2200 in the first year alone.
So it paid for itself in 6months really.

I'll continue to commute with it in the future as £2000 a year is a few holidays for me to enjoy.
At worst even with some train journeys involved it's still an easy £1500 banked.

For a fun bike i have an unassisted mountain bike. Which I won't convert because I think it will spoil it.

mxer said:
Proberly a silly question but what is your bike ? A hobbie or a Tool used for work etc ? Mine is a Tool i use to get to work and that was it, But with my choice of Lipo just recently has now slightly turned me into a bit of a hobbie head as there is sooo much to learn and BUY!!! Lol..But primarly it's a Tool i use to earn me money by getting me to work!!! :roll:

you got 165 posts already here, this puts you in the hobby catagory :D

Me ? I'm busy for 1.5 years now building mine and still haven't ridden a single meter. :mrgreen:
definately hobby.

I'm semi-retired so it is a hobby. But additionally it is my exercise "tool". I couldn't ride 20 miles on a regular basis without the E.
otherDoc

I can't think of much else to call it except perhaps an "instrument"? In my world instruments are used for both work and play - pretty much describes the way I use my eBike.

myrtle and eucalyptus are in full perfume mode

whales are migrating north

I'm traveling to do my laundry

Lebowski said:
mxer said:

you got 165 posts already here, this puts you in the hobby catagory :D

Me ? I'm busy for 1.5 years now building mine and still haven't ridden a single meter. :mrgreen:
definately hobby.

I know it was/is a tool, but love the tinkering and is rapidly turning into a hobbie :roll: , I don't need em for my "Tool" commute but have just ordered some more batteries to play with WHY ??? :twisted:

Oh, and your right about the post's, I do love it here :lol:

veloman said:
sn0wchyld said:

I would think EE is a LOT harder than putting together an ebike. Building a controller/charger/motor, that seems more on par.

My ebike is a very fun tool, can't get better than that. If it weren't for the ebike, I wouldn't get out nearly as often. I always look for excuses to take it out.

for sure, EE is much harder, but its great getting to know the inner workings of batteries/controllers/motors etc etc as I'm going along. I'm only just about to start 2nd year too so my knowledge is still relatively 'basic' as far as becoming a EE is concerned.

Let's see. Science experiment. I'm not scientist. Something to do while I have too much time on my hands. Even after giving up a couple dozen in the last few years, I'm still almost a collector. I think we're sticking with hobby here, expecially since I fixed or build every one of these. When I work it's usually a long drive and I have to carry things in the car.

(1) MX650
(2) MX500 (Including one that still looks as though I grounded to a stop and fixed it during the Baker to Barstow.)
(1) Currietech 350w that's been tweaked to maybe 500w but still doesn't suit me.
(2) eCycle Dash
(1) Voy Electra
(1) Mongoose mountain bike with Currietech wheel upgrade
(1) Motorized Workman trike
(1) Unknown Chinese scooter of probably 1,000w.

Think I left a few out, this is just off the top of my head. With my shoulder recovering I'm ready to get building.

Both, parenthetically by design as with all things that become part of my profession, like doodling which became drawing which became technical drawing – that which illustrates an idea or concept formally with prescribed notations and analytical conveyance towards manufacture.

Once upon a time, I picked up a crayon and instead of trying to eat it - I drew! :lol:

Imagination is the perfect freedom. Traveling on my ebike is an extension of what was once, thought. And so, it begins as a plan, to toy with an idea, advance upon a premise (or twelve) to develop something more complex and integrated. Eventually the idea grafts upon the lifestyle, affecting not just you, but influencing others – minutely at first, though progressing with social acceptance and distinct novelty.

I am in the middle stage; the point to where I comprehend the difference between hobby and tool, and where my accountant wants to know my future plans after a taxable history of ebike expenditures. Perhaps we need to add a third category: Manufacturer.

~KF

Jethro56 said:
I don't have hobbies. I have obsessions.

I can so identify with this. Each succeeding hobby becomes an obsession. This one is no different...

Daily commute. 15 years now riding a bicycle to work all year round. Just recently added a "pedal useless" motor for the hills around here. Leave the Tundra at home. 600 miles already. Hummm 9mpg city Tundra. No brainer.

CogHog said:
Daily commute. 15 years now riding a bicycle to work all year round. Just recently added a "pedal useless" motor for the hills around here. Leave the Tundra at home. 600 miles already. Hummm 9mpg city Tundra. No brainer.

Man, if my vehicle got such bad mpg, my ebike would be paid for completely by now! But I have a Honda Civic, so only the battery is paid off at 2300 miles.

Sometimes I just have really good rides /stretches where the speed/comfort/safety of the ebike is just so amazing that it blows me away. I just love being able to turn into a motorcycle of sorts, and get out of the crap! I like biking to begin with, but until we have separate bike highways everywhere, it's always going to be less desirable IMO for commuting.

veloman said:

No kidding. My two brothers both have 4 year EE degrees. Way to much math for me!

I will say though, they were wonderful people to know when I built my trike, so far as soldering boards went. One of them is willing to help me mod my current 40amp controller (infinion from ebikes.ca) to run at a higher voltage (and regen to it too).

Of course I'm going to school to be a welder/machinist, so I'm sure they'll be asking me to build something for them someday!

On topic: My trike is another method of transportation, it is neither a toy nor a tool.

Back