Re-winding a hubmotor

It lives that's great! You really put the hours in to make it that way. Thanks for taking us through all this and I hope the rest goes a bit more smooth for you.

Its not really related, but i do have the same tock sound with my cromotor... I tought it was something in the frame but your custom motor does the same tock...

It's ALIVE!
itsalive.jpg

Farfle I hope you get this reference, if you haven't seen it, go rent it NOW! Young Frankenstein

Thats awesome dude GREAT WORK! You must have ~70hr into this build!

Arlo1 said:
Thats awesome dude GREAT WORK! You must have ~70hr into this build!

Hehe, I wish. I have been logging my hours, and I am at 161 hours including screw ups, 90 something without.

So if you had been charging say 50$ an hour at a massive E-S discount on your labour, the commissioner would be looking at owing you 4500$ for your time, and you'd be out a further 3500$ of labour for screwing up. Kind of puts the effort in perspective :p.

You've got two sets of magic pie side-covers. One set needs to be turned into swiss-cheese badly, the more airflow you can get across those coils, the longer and happier life it's going to have.

One set will be set up for air cooling, and one set will be set up for a semi-bath oil cooling.

Farfle said:
One set will be set up for air cooling, and one set will be set up for a semi-bath oil cooling.

Perfect! :)

Great Job!!!
Brave partner holding the axel like that.
Glad he did not make a short sleeve shirt in the testing process.
Bike looks even better on vid than it does in still pics.

Uurg! The ultramotor spokes we had at the shop were too short.. Like 3mm too short, they would lace up, but it wasn't confidence inspiring. So, I challenged the LBS to see how fast they could do 36 100mm spokes :lol:

Sure ran smooth!! Did I miss how you are clamping your axle on the bike? ... or are two vices in order? :p

The droupouts are a special creation of mine, ill get some pics of them when im at the shop next. In the meantime, I have a video of it running on the bike that shows the dropouts a little bit. And no aw, I never tell them what it's for. If the guy asks why I want super short spokes, I just say that i'm relacing a wheel on a kids bike.

sorry guys, no riding video yet, how bout a walkaround?

[youtube]EBLuP-JTY5o [/youtube]

Alan B said:
Very nice!

Any idea what that 'clicking' is?

It didnt do it before i varnished the stator, and now it does, so im guessing that its just the dang varnish rubbing on the mags. It has self-clearanced quite a bit, and im hoping that with some more miles that it goes away, if it doesn't I'll pop it open and sand it.

ohzee said:
Looking good.. I like how the braided wires look as well.

Can't wait for that puppy to be laced up.

Not only do they look good, they reduce the overall induced inductance into the hall wires running near them because they are no longer parallel. At least that's what Farfle likes to tell me, but I know he just really loves to braid :mrgreen:

Alan B said:
Very nice!

Any idea what that 'clicking' is?

the noise is very much alike the one I have... and im almost sure its the hub bearing...
will WOT alot to see if it goes away... dont really wanna open it.

Back