GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

Duc998 said:
If you have time can you take some more close up picks of your pack? Also some front / rear shots I want to get a feel how wide the box is.
your wish is my command:
[youtube]3FTVpTjZne4[/youtube]
nothing special at all - i want to be sure i like parts where they are before doing them better, if i ever get to that... it'll be nice lunchbox to carry in the elevator, but there's not a lot of contact area with toptube, just a cut off corner really, and for the triangle fit, i might prefer it be a bigger triangle - and i might put connectors there after all. the aluminum connector mount i fabbed up is totally half ass, and you can see the wires pop out more than i'd like....

oh, i'm using ebikes.ca stretchy sleeve to cover the wires in a couple places - is that what you're asking about? i highly recommend it! (store> parts > Connectors & Misc. Parts)
firstcommute01.JPG

i rode it into work too. felt a bit blind w/o the CA, which i should have put on - and i wished i'd warmed the lipos up in the garage first!

but it's raging. it loves the grass and dirt. i can't wait till quitting time! :twisted:

i was sooo late, i didn't have time to mount a gopro.

and i'm not even sure how i feel about the bike yet! some reflections:
- it's smaller than i'd like for sure; i feel a bit scrunched
- when i stand, i'm so much further forward that a nasty regen burp would eject me. wrist position is not ideal
- gotta move the seat back for starters - feels like a chopper w/ ape hangers compared to the GT
- riding the road w/ nobbies is weird too - i don't plan to do so much but love them in the rough after stuck w/ slicks for street for so long
- mid-suspension stop is still a bit weird but will play w/ too, if not change straight away. sag might be about 3" right now. curious how 500lb spring feels...
- left the wife alone w/ three kids for the better part of saturday and paid bigtime sat night/sunday.. :lol: and still so much to do!

GCinDC said:
oh, i'm using ebikes.ca stretchy sleeve to cover the wires in a couple places - is that what you're asking about? i highly recommend it!
I've used inner tube to achieve a similar result. yeah yeah I know, another recycled use for them :p

left the wife alone w/ three kids for the better part of saturday and paid bigtime sat night/sunday.. :lol:
Don't I know about that all too well!
I also had the opposite on Saturday, the wife had a baby shower so took the 2 kids with her and I had the afternoon to myself for the first time in months. And what happened ? It absolutely bucketed down so I couldn't go riding :(

wow nice GC thank you so much for the vid's, Love it your pack in nice and compact. Bike looks stealthy too really appreciate it thanks mate.

Loved even the last bit with your kid on the bike, Something I'd like to do take the kids for a quick ride. Did u make something for them to sit on?

Hi Greg,

You could give yourself a bit more cockpit room with a laid back seat post, used to use them back in the day for bmx but im not sure if they do them for mtb size, quick look sais they do various sizes but if they dont you could always mod/make. example.......
http://www.cycleking.co.uk/searchpage.php?searchbox=BMX%20LAY-BACK%20BRACED%20SEATPOST%2022mm%20CP
you'd need a saddle that has adjustable clamp but could give you more space?
will have to wait till i get home to check the vid.

D

deecanio said:
You could give yourself a bit more cockpit room with a laid back seat post
cool. thanks, D!
woahnelly.jpg
you'll see in the second jump that the bottom fell out on me. not sure if it some dirt caved in on the top ledge (which was easily 3', btw, even tho it only looks like 14"), or the extra motor weight i'm not used to. i usually always try to land evenly on two wheels. and if i was on pavement, i would have surely wiped, cause when the bottom dropped, my grip caused the throttle to rev and it tried to buck me when i landed. not used to the grip of the fat ass cheapo chinese throttle, which i should have swapped with my magura...

the handling is way different, and that SPV on the rear shock freaks me out. it feels like i'm riding a little motorcycle with a blown rear shock that's always bottoming out.

i hate to say it, but if i can't sort that out, this will just be another interim bike before a phasor or stealth or homebrew... sad to say it so early, but i should definitely have held out for a Large frame... i'm going to try to do a comparison of the GT frame, just for my own curiosity, to compare foot, seat, handlebar geometry. if the ground were angled at 30 degrees, however, as in DOWNHILL, the ergonomics would feel a lot better... :mrgreen:

for street combat right now, i'd take the GT without question. but this is probably just the normal process of adjusting to a new frame.. i don't like that SPV, even after more adjustments, but i gotta say, i go off curbs and hardly feel it. and i was running over some rocky stuff and the rear was so soft i thought the tires were low, but they weren't. oh well, it's a fun process - a journey of discovery - and riding in i was musing about the names they came up with for these bikes... Transition Dirtbag. :lol: of course the Stinky... :lol:

I noticed mdd0127 selling just an 18" frame, not sure how much different that is size wise.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37461

my entry in this year's Battery Case Beauty Pageant:
IMG_20120303_164210.jpg
(yes, that's part of the same old sign i've been using for years now... :mrgreen: )

for the pic below, i put bolts on each side of the top left corner, mainly to support any stress from using handle.
IMG_20120303_164243.jpg
and some foam to separate the the batts from the frame bolts. the edges look sharp. and they are sharp! but i sanded them down, and none touch the packs. i cut off the rail where the wires come out the side, btw.
IMG_20120303_164348.jpg
the paralleling balance lead harness is old. it's too long but still works fine. i could replace it if i need to shave a couple ounces.. :lol: a couple bolts here and there.
IMG_20120303_171021.jpg
the main power plug mount is garbage. i broke part of it, but basically got tired of it in the design stage and decided to carve it out and slap it on so i could ride the damn bike! the guerilla tape is basically structural, and the pack can now withstand a substantial amount of abuse. and i've got the cordura over it all now, but i'm not taking it to the seamstress to sew up with proper velcro until i'm happy with it.
IMG_20120303_171748.jpg
so version one, let's call it: V1.1/2ass :mrgreen:

GCinDC said:
and i'm not even sure how i feel about the bike yet! some reflections:
- it's smaller than i'd like for sure; i feel a bit scrunched
- when i stand, i'm so much further forward that a nasty regen burp would eject me. wrist position is not ideal
- gotta move the seat back for starters - feels like a chopper w/ ape hangers compared to the GT
- riding the road w/ nobbies is weird too - i don't plan to do so much but love them in the rough after stuck w/ slicks for street for so long
- mid-suspension stop is still a bit weird but will play w/ too, if not change straight away. sag might be about 3" right now. curious how 500lb spring feels...
It takes a bit of time to get used to the different geometry - those bikes are designed for DH after all. Just keep riding it

There's a large DH Comp frame for sale in Toowoomba QLD $350 :lol:

Video looks good

Nice jump Greg! It actually looks alot higher from the first shot. When you approached it looks like a massive drop and I thought to myself "heh, he's looking for jumps but rightly so on pulling out on that one, it's too high" Then you turned around a DID jump it! :lol:
A brave move landing hard with that heavy H35 on the back my friend - I'd take it a bit easy if you want it to last. In the mean time, have a sensorless controller on hand for when the halls die :p

full-throttle said:
There's a large DH Comp frame for sale in Toowoomba QLD $350 :lol:
I would have been all over that if I didn't just buy a fighter!

Hyena said:
In the mean time, have a sensorless controller on hand for when the halls die :p
see the DH Comp on the front of the bus rack?
IMG_20120306_165530.jpg
hall died at the bottom of the hill, and of course i was late.

that didn't take long. :roll: time for that sensorless controller! :mrgreen:

but tell me how the jumps affect the halls? i was hauling along M st (pardon the pun), averaging 40A for a couple miles - that's it. no hills, so it probably got cooked, no? tested it w/ ebike tester at home, and it's the same one i replaced...

oh, and i'm not sure what i was saying about that SPV tho... sure does make pedalling easier! :mrgreen: karma!

BUMMER!!!!!! I bet your boss grumpy for your being late for work. isn't he?

GCinDC said:
Hyena said:
In the mean time, have a sensorless controller on hand for when the halls die :p
see the DH Comp on the front of the bus rack?
hall died at the bottom of the hill, and of course i was late.
I'm going to get the mods to change my user name to Nostradamus :mrgreen:
I'll save me having to type "told ya so!" every few pages :p

I'd say the impact from the big drops loosened the halls then either the heat caused them to fall out or they just fell out from riding. Even at 40 amps thats still 3kw at the voltage you're running so it'll be pretty toasty in there.
Heat alone is enough to screw them - either thermally killing the hall itself or physically having them dislodge by melting the glue that holds them in.
I have a smoked HT motor here that was never jumped but the windings are blacker than Wesley Snipes on a moonless night. When I set the stator down on my bench 2 of the halls came springing out at me

Hyena said:
I'll save me having to type "told ya so!" every few pages
this is a somewhat costly way to have a conversation with you, for me at least... :lol:
Hyena said:
Heat alone is enough to screw them - either thermally killing the hall itself or physically having them dislodge by melting the glue that holds them in.
i jb welded the suckers in to prevent dislodging, but that was rather short sighted of me, as usual... :oops:
file.php

so i figured one was cooked, but after editing the vid, listen to it's final moments (0:55). does sound to have been dislodged and ground like pepper over salad in a fine restaurant - i didn't know what that sound was at the time... and while it does seem wise to stop and investigate, mainly to prevent losing precious parts before they fall off, i well, nevermind, like to keep going forward...
[youtube]WEjRd3qurR8[/youtube]
i let the vid drag out, as if a zombie's gonna pop out of somewhere, but spare you the tedious pedalling... :lol:

eh, who needs to sleep.. curiosity got the best of me... the halls were not dislodged. do i bother to replace the bad one (green)?
IMG_20120306_224148.jpg
that sound musta been one of those bamboo sticks... shrinking at temp? but still no proper explanation. except heat?IMG_20120306_224137.jpg
is there even a point to paint this? i can hit it with the belt sander to get off some rust on the top but look at the crud in there.. i really want to make this motor work..

Hi G

Nice work on the bike man! and nice drops however it was funny you know last night I was watching the video thinking that's cool but I wonder how long that thing will stay together with all that power and off road rough stuff? Sensorless would be a good call I reckon for off roading, you of course still have the problem that the magnets can come loose with all the heat and vibration, not to mention the stress on the axle from the jumps (pretty sure with my weight I would pop an axle on one of these)

I am wondering whether Stealth are having specced up motors made for their bikes as I haven't seen any posts of motor failures with their bikes? Maybe its time to consider a mid motor mount?

P1000082-1.jpg

You will get used to the frame as well it will just take some time and some riding :) good luck with the bike buddy looking forward to seeing some cool videos from you.

knoxie said:
Hi G

Nice work on the bike man! and nice drops however it was funny you know last night I was watching the video thinking that's cool but I wonder how long that thing will stay together with all that power and off road rough stuff? Sensorless would be a good call I reckon for off roading, you of course still have the problem that the magnets can come loose with all the heat and vibration, not to mention the stress on the axle from the jumps (pretty sure with my weight I would pop an axle on one of these) ..........................

yea im starting to get seriously worried about my own HT... after seeing one with a popped axle etc its not really confidence inspiring... time for on-frame motors!

where the heck is that pic from? not exactly subtle but a nice looking bike!

Back