Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

That was very nice to see, a father and son on an ebike ride together. The video looked ok to me Jay. I too will have to ride with others, as my father also has preceded me to the great beyond. I like your attitude, although I suspect I will end up as dust it the wind. 8)
Brian L.

another good vid Jay, what else do we expect from you?
that fighter is the nuts, pisses along sweet, very jealous here, must take the time to catch up with the build and see what you've been up to, nice to see youo doing your thing ;)

D

Man that H40 has some pace! :mrgreen: Pics of the Fighter would be good when you have time Mr Asia :p

You're lucky your dad is still able to be out riding bikes with ya, make the most of it dude :)
My dad too was a motorbike rider back in the late 50's and early 60's, hooning around Europe on various BSA's with his brother. They had a ball!

Paul :D

Man those things really rip along! Great to see some father and son bonding.

I've got a 2005 Giant AC I have earmarked for a conversion (shot you an email late last week asking about kits).
Seeing the pace of bikes on here (and just having read through timma's M3 thread) I certainly have a lot to learn.

Inspiring stuff - thank you.

Great vids! That modded Fighter rips along, and the blue bike has got some nuts too :)
You guys ought to be wearing motorcycle or maybe ski helmets at those speeds as cycle helmets will become polystyrene confetti if they get a hit! I think I saw someone in a ski helmet on one of Knoxie's Bomber videos...

Just wanted to post to say its good to see someone that has passion for what they do and the story from the early begginings.

Glad I was able to entrust hyena to build me a system for "dummies" and to just get on and start riding leveraging not having to go through all the experimental stages. ESP when I didn't have a lot of time on my hands.

I bought a 2000watt 36v 15 amp hr polly battery kit and had it posted all the way from Sydney down to Hamilton, victoria, Australia from Hyena and the bike has been oresome, it went down a long hill on very first new batteries at 52 kilometers an hr it was flyen, for a pushbike this is fast and it never went that fast again but gets average 50 but it always averages 42 on the flat and can get up any hills i encounter at bout 30k. I never pedal i tell ppl after forty yrs old you dont have to pedal anymore lol.

I recormend any Aussies and the world for that matter deal through hyena as he has good follow up after sale service. I've got to contact u about something soon actually Hyena.

Glad you're enjoying the bike jaffasoft. It was actually a 45v pack though not 36. That's where the extra speed came from.
Country Victoria is a hop skip and a jump, I've sent stuff to Perth, NZ and even the US, UK, Germany and Spain. I've had requests from most other corners of the world too but often shipping is too expensive to make it worthwhile.

knoxie said:
yeah Jay normally rocks along with one of these
Yep, usually armour and a full face dirt bike helmet when offroad riding zooming around fast. My dad and I were actually just intending a leisurely ride up the street, but when you get 2 fastish vehicles together, when does that ever go to plan :lol:

I took the fighter out for a good run today, finally got the chain on and hooked up a CA. The people at my nearest LBS were impressed with the fighter and for once not ebike snobs so I'll be sure and give them repeat business. I offered them a ride but none of them were game after me telling them how much power it had. Heh.

I think I've been lying to you guys and myself about the power output. And in a good way!
I programmed it such that it should have been about 120 amps but I think because of the board type setting in the controller it actually only programmed around half that - peak current was only 60 amps!
I still haven't accurately calibrated the shunt, just going off 1.5 mohm which is around what most 18 fet crystalyte controllers run. But yeah, it's around that which is great because that means it's only running around 4kw peak so it'll have alot more in it when i wind the juice up :twisted: I thought it was the faster winding in this motor making it not feel as brisk as my 9C off the line but it looks like it was actually being fed LESS power!
What a spaz :p

I got totally covered in mud on my ride today, it's been bucketing down for weeks here and its the first nice day in ages. The tracks were still soaked though and a few times I nearly came off when I hit patches of water and mud at speed that were alot deeper than I expected. One I dropped into (only going slowly luckily) was so deep with thin mud that it went about 80% of the way up my spokes to the motor!

Until I edit the video, here one of me overtaking a ferrari.
[youtube]PGdjLe87aZM[/youtube]

What, I never said it was moving :p

Lolz, looking forward to the vid later.

D

Not every day you gat to pass a F430! I liked it. :lol: If only I had the cash, I would definitely buy from Jay only. Still looking forward to dumping 66v into the brain box you sent me! That should be fun.
Brian L.

Jaffasoft said:
Just wanted to post to say its good to see someone that has passion for what they do and the story from the early begginings.

Glad I was able to entrust hyena to build me a system for "dummies" and to just get on and start riding leveraging not having to go through all the experimental stages. ESP when I didn't have a lot of time on my hands.

I bought a 2000watt 36v 15 amp hr polly battery kit and had it posted all the way from Sydney down to Hamilton, victoria, Australia from Hyena and the bike has been oresome, it went down a long hill on very first new batteries at 52 kilometers an hr it was flyen, for a pushbike this is fast and it never went that fast again but gets average 50 but it always averages 42 on the flat and can get up any hills i encounter at bout 30k. I never pedal i tell ppl after forty yrs old you dont have to pedal anymore lol.

I recormend any Aussies and the world for that matter deal through hyena as he has good follow up after sale service. I've got to contact u about something soon actually Hyena.

Long time lurker, but my first post should be about Jay! Service is second to none and always has the time to answer ANY question. Quality kits that are practically bulletproof. I'll have no hesitation in recommending his kits to anyone from Melbourne. Hats of to you sir :D

Jay are you running 24" wheels front and rear?
Did you get a chance to ride this bike with 26, and if so was there much difference in handling?
Which one is more stable at speed?
It is probably a question for the general section, but I'm interested in the effect of being slightly lower has on handling and stability.

The idea of a strong set of 24" wheels on an ebike is growing on me.
But I'll take 26" if I'm moving under my own steam :)

Thanks fellas, I'm going to quote you all when I redo my website :p

Tinto said:
Jay are you running 24" wheels front and rear?
Yep, though with the big chunky tyres there's no much difference between a normal 26" rim.

Did you get a chance to ride this bike with 26, and if so was there much difference in handling?
No I didn't but I imagine there's nothing much in it.

Which one is more stable at speed?
They both feel fine at speed (60-70km/hr) but I guess I have more confidence in the fighter because I know it's made of stronger parts. The hardtail is definitely more nimble and maneuverable but it doesn't really feel twitchy at higher speed. The triple clamps and geometry on the fighter make it feel heavier and more motorbikeish but at speed its not an issue. Sort of like driving a car with power steering vs none (at speed it makes little difference but parking / tight spaces kinda suck)

It is probably a question for the general section, but I'm interested in the effect of being slightly lower has on handling and stability.
Again fairly negligable but it stands to reason that being lower is better.

The idea of a strong set of 24" wheels on an ebike is growing on me.
But I'll take 26" if I'm moving under my own steam :)
24" tyres are harder to come by but I do like em. For my commuter I'm running 26s but for offroad with big tyres the 24s are nice.

In other news I dropped in to glow worm bicycles yesterday and hung out with voicecoils a bit. I finally managed to get my CA calibrated (it was only slightly out in the end) so now I know exactly what sort of power I'm burning. This motor is surprisingly economical yielding the same or even slightly less whr consumption as my 9C running the same voltage and current.
I used 4.5 ah to cover 16km to work with an average speed of 39km/hr and a top speed of 74. I was on the power a fair bit but not blasting WOT alot of the time. Because this motor is a faster wind than the 9C I don't ride it in 100% mode most of the time. 80% speed gives a top motored speed of around 50 which is about as fast as I can comfortably pedal along with with the schlumpf so that's perfect. Then there's 100% for when there's no peds/traffic around or I need the extra burst of power and speed to dart past slow traffic before they have time to move over on me!
Though I wont be riding this on the road much so that doesn't really matter.

I also sorted out the brakes while at glow worm, using their facilities to shorted my hydro brake lines and route the rear hose through the frame.
I offered one of the girls a ride and she said her heart was racing at the end :lol:
Then I gave her a go on my bike :mrgreen: :twisted:
She only rode it in low speed mode and wasn't keen to give it squirt in the higher power mode. You can't see much but I'll post the video later

Also... I have a killer new bike in the works. My new general all rounder, stealthier than a stealth, smaller, lighter and unique :D
The frame is leaving today from the other side of the country so should be here late next week. I'm hoping to have it all built to take with me on my trip to Canberra at the end of the month. Those on the ball will be able to work out what this is and where it's come from :wink:

Oi, the dummies were supposed to try and figure that out for themselves :p

I was planning to have Paul make up a number of these frames for me which I could then build up with sweet powertrains and sell as complete turn key ebikes but he's too busy now and with my health still up in the air, well, bugger you lot - make your own custom frame ebikes :p

This is the frame I started with - the aim is for a comfy full suspension bike that has a low key side profile so doesn't stand out like the fighter.
The 18S2P pack shown here strapped to the top bar is fitted to the down tube - 1 5ah pack wide at the BB and steerer end 2 wide in the middle.

DB-build.jpg

db-frame.JPG

Controller will sit on top of that removable panel (for accessing the batteries) and there's room up in the neck for a DC converter for lights.
Shitty shock was replaced with a manitou air shock that should give 4" of rear travel and rock shox tora airs up front will give the same.
I was going to put a mac on it in keeping with the low key/stealth approach but might go with a larger 9C style DD hub for now to maintain a higher power level. (4-5kw)

Now, what colour to paint it ?!
I'll probably put stickers on it too, in an attempt to make it look like a commercial bike product.
I think I shall call it... the Positron X :mrgreen:

that's beautiful. keeping the weight low. how wide is it? were you tempted to fill up the triangle?

i keep wondering if there's a perfectly sized extruded aluminum box that can can be trimmed and folded at the ends where it gets welded to BB & headtube...

more pics of the whole job?

i kinda feel sorry for all your spare inner tubes - they'll have to find new work soon, or else they'll turn to the bottle. :lol:

oh, ps. we talked about the quad copter in your thread before, and just wanted to mention the concept is gaining traction... their sample vid. game changer.

GCinDC said:
how wide is it?
About 110mm I think, I'll measure when it arrives

were you tempted to fill up the triangle?
nooooo, just the opposite, the whole purpose of this bike was to retain as close to normal MTB appearance with a hollow triangle. From the side the down tube isnt much taller than standard. If I wanted total stealth I would have had a single file row of 3 6S packs in teh top and down tube, but that would have been more work for Paul. Ideally if doing from scratch I'd make the whole traingle section in one neat piece so there's no joins.

i keep wondering if there's a perfectly sized extruded aluminum box that can can be trimmed and folded at the ends where it gets welded to BB & headtube...
There's not, that I've come across anyway. If you buy enough you could have it made but I'd be making a serious investment there and I'm not keen to make that leap.
If done on a larger scale I think I'd try and do it in 2 bent L shaped halves welded together, to minimise welds and cutting. Easily done with a big pan brake.

more pics of the whole job?
I'll post more when it arrives

i kinda feel sorry for all your spare inner tubes - they'll have to find new work soon, or else they'll turn to the bottle. :lol:
haha I haven't used inner tubes on anything for ages*

*for more than test rides :p

oh, ps. we talked about the quad copter in your thread before, and just wanted to mention the concept is gaining traction... their sample vid. game changer.
Very slick. I'll have to go past the hobby king store front near my again some time soon and sus out of any of the locals have bought those quad copter kits, then go along to one of their meet days and hit them up. Though hardly worth it with my gopro in its blurred lens state at the moment :( Funds are tight after my rather long and sudden departure from work so I won't be getting a hero 2 any time soon unfortunately.

That camera copter is amazing. 8 blades. http://vimeo.com/31252441
Check out their stabilizer for the camera. http://vimeo.com/34891694
And here is another demo this time with Ninjas. 8) http://vimeo.com/36341233

BTW nice frame, Jay. Awesome job as usual by Paul. I would probably have flipped the battery enclosure to be narrow and tall, rather than wide and shallow. But I guess that wouldn't have got the same profile effect. Should make for a great bike. You are getting quite the stable of ebikes to chose from now. :lol:

- Adrian

adrian_sm said:
I would probably have flipped the battery enclosure to be narrow and tall, rather than wide and shallow. But I guess that wouldn't have got the same profile effect.
Yeah keeping it all as low key as possible was my primary goal

Should make for a great bike. You are getting quite the stable of ebikes to chose from now. :lol:
Yep 4 in my garage now, I hope my car doesn't rust away out in the driveway :p
I actually still have the diamondback bike shown in the first picture as it stands in that shot, I bought a few of the bikes with the intention to mod them but that hasn't worked out so I may actually sell the one with the pvc lipo box on the top tube.
If anyone in Perth is interested in buying one brand new in a box give me a shout - I'm sure Paul wants them out of his shed!

Here's a quick vid from my trip to glow worm the other day and one of the girls there test riding my fighter. She was a bit shy with it but I like the bit towards the end when she giggles. No doubt she felt the midrange pull when she started to gun it. I must admit, the first time I rode it I had a similar reaction myself :lol:

[youtube]sOc1jdxbSXQ[/youtube]
(still uploading for the next 20 mins)

lmao.... i love to send newbs out on maiden voyages.. does not always turn out well tho... had one guy on my chopper panic with a death grip on the throttle trying to stop and not letting go.. hit the curb, flew over the bars into my neighbor's bushes.. jumped right up and was like " Holy Shit :shock: !!.. "

I currently have a bike on order from Jay.

The falling off is exactly the reason why i didnt try his bike when he offered LOL could see myself with gravel rash lol.

Like all have said Jay ios a top guy!

looking forward to getting my bike !

Wayne

. ....I'll have to go past the hobby king store front near my again some time soon and sus out of any of the locals have bought those quad copter kits, then go along to one of their meet days and hit them up. Though hardly worth it with my gopro in its blurred lens state at the moment .....

They seem to have closed...either major renovations or closing down..

Back