100 mile ebike @ 30mph constant on flats without headwind?

mvly

10 kW
i am looking into building an ebike that is capable of:
A) 100 miles range on single charge
B) maximum of 6 hours to charge
C) able to sustain 30 mph at the range in A) and capable of going up to 40mph both WITHOUT pedal assist. No head wind or tail wind and flats just to keep it simple.
D) needs to carry me and i am around 150lbs + extra 50lbs for other stuff. So 200lbs load + whatever bike + battery weigh.

After doing a lot research, i think only a 2 wheels recumbent with wind guard and probably 3KWh of battery paired with 700W to 1KW charger can do the above.

Any comments?
Also has anyone built such ebike?

I think it is doable but like you said you will need a BIG battery and a motor that can sustain 30mph CONSTANTLY. To me the EASIEST route is to see which geared motor can do 30mph with the least amount of volts efficiently. Maybe a cell_man speed MAC. And then get 2 48V ping batteries and a tadpole trike. On a mountain bike I'll say this is almost impossible to do unless you carry a trailer behind you. I have no experience with huge range bikes so those are only my 2 cents.

Note: Every system is unique to the route let's say you have a route of 100 miles but you have no stop lights then this simplifies the system a LOT. If you have a stop and go situation that's a whole nother story.

A recumbent of some kind is going to be a good start. If you can hold down 25Wh/mi, you could get it done with 20s 40ah of LiPo (~80% depth of discharge). And yeah, that would be ~3kWh. That high of a voltage would cover your part C pretty easily if you're using a hub motor setup, just pick the winding most appropriate for your wheel size. That would be around 40lbs of battery, if you went the LiPo route.

As for the charger, do you need to carry the charger with you, or can it be big and bulky to stay at home? Your best bet in general will be bulk charging with occasional balancing as needed with a smart charger/battery medic. If you don't want to roll your own from Meanwells or server power supplies, the simplest I know of is from BMSBattery- a lot of folks here have used and had good results with those. I personally have the "400w" model, which is small enough for an onboard charger (though you'd be looking at a >10hr charge in your case). If it doesn't have to be portable, you could go with a bigger model. Looks like the "900w" model should meet your needs.

If you plan on using the motor all the time, and it sounds like you do at those speeds, a direct drive will be a bit more efficient, and capable of high power, compared to a geared hub. So I would stick with a direct drive.

Looking briefly at http://ebikes.ca/simulator/

30mph would need about 44wh/mile, assuming a MTB.
So 100 miles would require 4.4kWh minimum, more realistically ~5.5kWh, so you aren't fully discharging your batteries if you plan to use that 100mile capacity all the time.

100v on a nine continent 9x7, would get you to 40mph, and not over heat at 30mph.
At 100v you would need 55Ah. So with LiPo that would be 4s7p of 6s8Ah LiPo bricks, @1.22kg each.
That is 24*1.22kg = 30kg of Lipo.
24*$84 = $2000

But as you point out a recumbent will have better aero, so smaller battery required. It may also let your body actually handle a 100mile, 4 hour ride.

You also need to think about how you will mount that volume of battery on a bike.

There are a couple of people on the forum with huge packs, but I can't think of who off the top of my head. But I am pretty sure on of them were a guest on the podcasts.

Recharging. 5.5kWh/6hours ~= 1kW charger.

Why do you need such a huge range out of interest? If you don't need it everyday, I would be tempted to have two packs. Your daily pack, and the range extender. This would make battery mounting, less of a mountain of a task.

On a 100 mile range... If something goes wrong I would hate to pedal a DD motor. Then again they are more efficient like you say at that speed and handle the higuer better. Perhaps if the OP would consider running a lesses cruise speed the scenario changes. Mounting a battery like the one you suggested is definitely easier on a tadpole trike.

adrian_sm said:
If you plan on using the motor all the time, and it sounds like you do at those speeds, a direct drive will be a bit more efficient, and capable of high power, compared to a geared hub. So I would stick with a direct drive.

Looking briefly at http://ebikes.ca/simulator/

30mph would need about 44wh/mile, assuming a MTB.
So 100 miles would require 4.4kWh minimum, more realistically ~5.5kWh, so you aren't fully discharging your batteries if you plan to use that 100mile capacity all the time.

100v on a nine continent 9x7, would get you to 40mph, and not over heat at 30mph.
At 100v you would need 55Ah. So with LiPo that would be 4s7p of 6s8Ah LiPo bricks, @1.22kg each.
That is 24*1.22kg = 30kg of Lipo.
24*$84 = $2000

But as you point out a recumbent will have better aero, so smaller battery required. It may also let your body actually handle a 100mile, 4 hour ride.

You also need to think about how you will mount that volume of battery on a bike.

There are a couple of people on the forum with huge packs, but I can't think of who off the top of my head. But I am pretty sure on of them were a guest on the podcasts.

Recharging. 5.5kWh/6hours ~= 1kW charger.

Why do you need such a huge range out of interest? If you don't need it everyday, I would be tempted to have two packs. Your daily pack, and the range extender. This would make battery mounting, less of a mountain of a task.

Well i would like to build a touring bike. With a range of 100miles, i am sure i can assist it to do 150 miles a day easy. This will reduce touring trip time by a lot. I just used the simulater and it looks like i need a full recumbent with 2kwh if usable energy. So if i go with lipo i wouls need 51.8v50ah. This will mean 30lbs of lipo including all the wiring. This will give me 99miles usig bmc v2spd with 40A controller at 80% throttle going at 29mph on flat. No risk of burning out.

Has anyone else sucessfully built one of these long ranger?

mvly said:
Well i would like to build a touring bike. With a range of 100miles, i am sure i can assist it to do 150 miles a day easy. This will reduce touring trip time by a lot. I just used the simulater and it looks like i need a full recumbent with 2kwh if usable energy. So if i go with lipo i wouls need 51.8v50ah. This will mean 30lbs of lipo including all the wiring. This will give me 99miles usig bmc v2spd with 40A controller at 80% throttle going at 29mph on flat. No risk of burning out.

Has anyone else sucessfully built one of these long ranger?

Kingfish.

mvly said:
C) able to sustain 30 mph at the range in A) and capable of going up to 40mph both WITHOUT pedal assist.

Zero does, the ZF9

mabman said:
mvly said:
C) able to sustain 30 mph at the range in A) and capable of going up to 40mph both WITHOUT pedal assist.

Zero does, the ZF9

Yeah defeats the point of biking. I guess I forgot to mention. Bicycle so you don't have to get those fancy license and I can go almost anywhere with it. I don't think people will like it much if I take my bike on the sidewalk or on the train. : )

Just looked at what Kingfish did. It looks good. However I think I doubt he can charge his battery in under 6 hours. LOL. 100lbs of Lipo

Never ceases to crack me up that people mention legality of thier ebike in the same thread as they say 40 mph club. :roll:

Don't get me wrong, chances are you will fly under the radar with it. But it sitll makes me spew coffee on the computer screen every time.

I would say the best compromise for what you want is going to be dropping the speed to about 25-30 mph. Why, because if you have 35 mph capability, you are going to use it. Whoops, range just dropped to 50 miles.

I have been intrigued by the idea of a long range bike that does about 25-30 mph myself. One idea that occured to me is using my longtail, because you can strap a ton of battery to it. I have a 9 continent 2810 motor on it, and currently run it at only 20 mph top speed with 48v. But a 72v 20 amp controller bumps that speed to 30 mph, while retaining a superb hill climbing without overheating capability. At 25 mph, you'd still be able to pedal some mostly for comfort rather than the 75w. On the flat, you'd be using about 600-700w. So your battery would be a relatively tolerable to carry 2500- 3000wh to have 100 mile range. At 30 mph, you'd have to carry significantly more battery to truly make 100 miles.

Here's the cherry on top. Put an additional gearmotor on the front wheel, just a 36v 350 w deal, with a seperate throttle. On the very steepest longest grades, you'd run that motor too. And if you fried the 9c, you could limp in to town on the gearmotor.

A bike like this is still illegal in many states, but riding 25 mph most of the time, you'd never attract notice. It would be legal in my state btw.

One last thing, you done 100 miles yourself ever? Charge time isn't going to matter to you after 100 miles. You are going to be wanting 12 hours of rest. One option may be more practical. Carry about 60 miles of range, and figure on a rest stop midday that lasts about 3 hours. That is how I have done it, with a pair of 750wh pingbatteries, and a motor that goes 27 mph. A 48v 15 ah pingbattery charges 90% in 3 hours, charges and balances in no more than 4. At 27 mph with a 2807, you have about 40 mile range with two, and range can easily stretch to 60 miles at 20 mph. It's a pretty practical setup, capable of 100 miles per day, and a less ass beating 75 mile day is quite possible at full speed. And you only need to carry 1500wh of battery weight.

dogman said:
Never ceases to crack me up that people mention legality of thier ebike in the same thread as they say 40 mph club. :roll:

Don't get me wrong, chances are you will fly under the radar with it. But it sitll makes me spew coffee on the computer screen every time.

I would say the best compromise for what you want is going to be dropping the speed to about 25-30 mph. Why, because if you have 35 mph capability, you are going to use it. Whoops, range just dropped to 50 miles.

I have been intrigued by the idea of a long range bike that does about 25-30 mph myself. One idea that occured to me is using my longtail, because you can strap a ton of battery to it. I have a 9 continent 2810 motor on it, and currently run it at only 20 mph top speed with 48v. But a 72v 20 amp controller bumps that speed to 30 mph, while retaining a superb hill climbing without overheating capability. At 25 mph, you'd still be able to pedal some mostly for comfort rather than the 75w. On the flat, you'd be using about 600-700w. So your battery would be a relatively tolerable to carry 2500- 3000wh to have 100 mile range. At 30 mph, you'd have to carry significantly more battery to truly make 100 miles.

Here's the cherry on top. Put an additional gearmotor on the front wheel, just a 36v 350 w deal, with a seperate throttle. On the very steepest longest grades, you'd run that motor too. And if you fried the 9c, you could limp in to town on the gearmotor.

A bike like this is still illegal in many states, but riding 25 mph most of the time, you'd never attract notice. It would be legal in my state btw.

One last thing, you done 100 miles yourself ever? Charge time isn't going to matter to you after 100 miles. You are going to be wanting 12 hours of rest. One option may be more practical. Carry about 60 miles of range, and figure on a rest stop midday that lasts about 3 hours. That is how I have done it, with a pair of 750wh pingbatteries, and a motor that goes 27 mph. A 48v 15 ah pingbattery charges 90% in 3 hours, charges and balances in no more than 4. At 27 mph with a 2807, you have about 40 mile range with two, and range can easily stretch to 60 miles at 20 mph. It's a pretty practical setup, capable of 100 miles per day, and a less ass beating 75 mile day is quite possible at full speed. And you only need to carry 1500wh of battery weight.

Great advice. I have done up to 50miles a day on around 900Wh with serious pedaling at 25mph. This is way too slow for me. Too much wind resistance. This is why I am looking into recumbent bike/trike.

The way I see it is: If I can do 150miles a day on this bike, then it would cut my touring trip time by 3. i.e. a touring trip normally taking 3 weeks will now only take 1 week. This will enable me to do round trip as oppose to just one way and shipping my gear back. Pretty tempting huh? But regardless of what I do I will have to wait to get enough funding to do the build. I suspect it will cost somewhere around a Stealth Bomber ebike when all done. : )

I will probably end up converting something like this once I get the money for it
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/sm/gte/index_e.html

30mph = around 5-7 hours ride before out of battery to reach 150miles I think this is very doable. And 30lbs of Lipo is not that bad to lug around. Keep in mind, I will have a ship load of other stuff on this bike already. It might be easier if I just get a trailer for this thing. : )

When I hear touring trip I'm thinking vacation, so I'd be looking for ways to turn 3 weeks into 6 or 8 weeks, not cut it short to 1 week. :lol:

Flat road and no wind, my cargo bike can do that with no problem simply by adding more batteries. My recumbent experiment will also do it easily and require a lot less batteries than the cargo bike, because the 93% peak efficiency hubbie I'm testing is on it. That's before adding fairings, which will make a huge difference, especially on the recumbent.

I could do 100 miles at 20mph no problem while in nebraska last summer with this, No Motor and 15kg of gear
189043.jpg

Probably could have gone faster with a taller gearing. It's all a matter of aerodynamics :wink:

bzhwindtalker said:
I could do 100 miles at 20mph no problem while in nebraska last summer with this, No Motor and 15kg of gear
189043.jpg

Probably could have gone faster with a taller gearing. It's all a matter of aerodynamics :wink:

yeah that is why I chose to go recumbent if I do. Nice rig. YOu need to electrify it! LOL

John in CR said:
When I hear touring trip I'm thinking vacation, so I'd be looking for ways to turn 3 weeks into 6 or 8 weeks, not cut it short to 1 week. :lol:

Flat road and no wind, my cargo bike can do that with no problem simply by adding more batteries. My recumbent experiment will also do it easily and require a lot less batteries than the cargo bike, because the 93% peak efficiency hubbie I'm testing is on it. That's before adding fairings, which will make a huge difference, especially on the recumbent.

Yes it will a vacation, but keep in mind most people who tour will end up shipping their rig back. I would prefer to ride back possibly a different route. This way I can keep the trip length roughly the same yet I get to ride back.

I'd rather be comfortable, riding along with 30 pounds of battery than handling sketchy trying to carry more.

Kingfish is on the right track using lipo to carry more wh in less weight. But bottom line for me when touring is that 25 mph is about as fast as I can ride and really enjoy the scenery. At 30 or more, I'm just riding anong hunting the next piece of road debris. What was that? Was that Moab? I missed it, I was trying not to hit broken glass.

Of course if you were touring Kansas, haul ass.

ahh, youth
bzhwindtalker said:
189043.jpg

read your blog... interesting.
I wouldn't ride along HY34 on a bet.
Too much traffic and way too many trains along most the route, but it is along the Platte river valley and is very, uhm, flat.
Nebraska has great bike trails and I've also ridden HY2, HY20 and HY6
Hys 2 and 20 are my favorite for quietness and scenery, but they ain't flat!
...more like thisNE hills2.jpg...although that pic was taken on my travels through South Dakota; the badlands ahead of me.

I prefer crusizin@10mph -lacking the need to be inna hurry to get anywhere and enjoying the ride
-can't remember the longest I've sat on a bike but it was over 8 hours.
Nowadays I much prefer around 2-3 hours on a trike (LOL-no more bikes for me)
*currently building a 50m-100m range trike, stupidly relying on solar panels in loo of more batteries* because I wanna try it

ddk said:
*currently building a 50m-100m range trike, stupidly relying on solar panels in loo of more batteries* because I wanna try it

I don't think it's stupid at all. What we're missing to make solar a great option is light weight thin solar panels for a reasonable price. Thin film solar just hasn't come around product and price-wise, but I firmly believe DIY panels could do the trick. Get some modest charging while on the go, but while stopped fold out a bigger area of panels placed at a good angle to the sun. Then it's just a matter of scheduling nice long stops around lunch time. I've got the cells and my only real open item is finding a sufficiently accurate and reliable charge controller to match my battery packs.

You want a Yuba Mundo with dual motors (DD+geared), 5kWh in sideloaders, fat baloon tyres, Stan's strips, Thudbuster, 32mm+ coil fork and a good fairing. You probably already know the answer to the question WHY NOT a decent 125cc motorcycle, so I won't bother asking 8)

Yeah, cargo bike for the win. Preferably a custom built recumbent cargo bike.

It's why I built this, I wasn't as concerned about aero obviously, but I wanted to carry large battery capacity without bending rims. For me, to do long days on the road, full suspension is definitely required.Frankenbike longtail.  Bouncing Betty..jpg

The bags cover the details, but that's a steel frame suspension bike welded to an old Currie electric bike frame. Rides like a dream, even on washboard dirt roads. Carrying 3000 wh would be no sweat on this bike. Pack those saddlebags with lipo.

• My 2WD can do 100 miles at 30 mph, and significantly farther of course with slightly less speed. :wink:
  • Charging employed two Meanwell PSUs HRP-600 in series and took between 8-9 hours (overnight) depending upon how much capacity was previously consumed; the actual amount of power used by the charging assembly was measured to be about 1 kW from the plug. I suggest that you will want 1.5 kW to 1.98 kW charging system to meet your criteria.
  • As for 40 mph without pedaling – sure, that can be accomplished, though not for very long.

P1&P2-0.jpg

Figured the weight of the trailer was about 120 lbs. when loaded.

Notes from On The Road:
You will discover that there are very few bicycle frames that can hold all of that equipment well. You will want full-suspension, otherwise you will feel like an old crippled man at the end of each day. Big balloon tires helped increase stability in loose soils and over railroad crossings. 2WD ensures redundancy in the field, and splits the load between wheels so that neither motor becomes too hot; great for hill-climbing!

I would caution you that doing 150 miles/day is not for the faint of heart: It is a long ride, and you will need to build your stamina up before you go. I was riding daily 20-50 miles and thinking, yeah I can do 100 miles no problem: Wrong! I plateaued and peaked on my first day at 80 miles, ready to toss in the towel, but after stretching for 45 minutes, I was able to go one more hour and get to a good middle city for overnight. You really need to train at 50 miles/day for several days, then 75 for a few days: Get your legs beefed-up and your diet sorted. The body will adapt eventually.

I don’t know where you are traveling but I encourage you to bring plenty of water and quick snacks. Keep it simple. Stop and smell the roses every 15-20 miles to water-up and feed your face and to pee: It’s vitally important to allow your body to adapt and catch up. Personally, I struggled with numbness in my hands, and sore arse. Cruise-Control was my friend and allowed me to shift hands frequently. I went through 3 or 4 saddles before picking the Brookes Saddle as the best for cross-country. Even still – after 50 miles, all saddles become uncomfortable. :roll:

I strongly suggest employing brake lights, and if possible turn indicators: You are in traffic, you will need to be in the lane at times, you will at time be going as fast as commuter traffic! It is to your advantage for health and safety to indicate to drivers your intensions, albeit slowing/stopping, or turning. It just makes good sense.

Wear proper clothing: I wore a lightweight moped helmet because it only takes one head-on crash at 30 mph and you are a vegetable. I wear gloves. I kept my clothing light so as to ward off the sweat, and I wore SP70 sunscreen. Packing: Take only the essentials, the bare-necessities, and plan to wash your clothes in the sink (two complete sets of riding apparel). Pack replacement parts of risky items, take a cell phone with you (and a way to keep it charged on the road), and detailed maps for when your GPS fails. In other words, Shit happens: Be Prepared. :)

I take it you are going solo? Where to?
Best, KF

Kingfish said:
  • My 2WD can do 100 miles at 30 mph, and significantly farther of course with slightly less speed. :wink:
  • Charging employed two Meanwell PSUs HRP-600 in series and took between 8-9 hours (overnight) depending upon how much capacity was previously consumed; the actual amount of power used by the charging assembly was measured to be about 1 kW from the plug. I suggest that you will want 1.5 kW to 1.98 kW charging system to meet your criteria.
  • As for 40 mph without pedaling – sure, that can be accomplished, though not for very long.

P1&P2-0.jpg

Figured the weight of the trailer was about 120 lbs. when loaded.

Notes from On The Road:
You will discover that there are very few bicycle frames that can hold all of that equipment well. You will want full-suspension, otherwise you will feel like an old crippled man at the end of each day. Big balloon tires helped increase stability in loose soils and over railroad crossings. 2WD ensures redundancy in the field, and splits the load between wheels so that neither motor becomes too hot; great for hill-climbing!

I would caution you that doing 150 miles/day is not for the faint of heart: It is a long ride, and you will need to build your stamina up before you go. I was riding daily 20-50 miles and thinking, yeah I can do 100 miles no problem: Wrong! I plateaued and peaked on my first day at 80 miles, ready to toss in the towel, but after stretching for 45 minutes, I was able to go one more hour and get to a good middle city for overnight. You really need to train at 50 miles/day for several days, then 75 for a few days: Get your legs beefed-up and your diet sorted. The body will adapt eventually.

I don’t know where you are traveling but I encourage you to bring plenty of water and quick snacks. Keep it simple. Stop and smell the roses every 15-20 miles to water-up and feed your face and to pee: It’s vitally important to allow your body to adapt and catch up. Personally, I struggled with numbness in my hands, and sore arse. Cruise-Control was my friend and allowed me to shift hands frequently. I went through 3 or 4 saddles before picking the Brookes Saddle as the best for cross-country. Even still – after 50 miles, all saddles become uncomfortable. :roll:

I strongly suggest employing brake lights, and if possible turn indicators: You are in traffic, you will need to be in the lane at times, you will at time be going as fast as commuter traffic! It is to your advantage for health and safety to indicate to drivers your intensions, albeit slowing/stopping, or turning. It just makes good sense.

Wear proper clothing: I wore a lightweight moped helmet because it only takes one head-on crash at 30 mph and you are a vegetable. I wear gloves. I kept my clothing light so as to ward off the sweat, and I wore SP70 sunscreen. Packing: Take only the essentials, the bare-necessities, and plan to wash your clothes in the sink (two complete sets of riding apparel). Pack replacement parts of risky items, take a cell phone with you (and a way to keep it charged on the road), and detailed maps for when your GPS fails. In other words, Shit happens: Be Prepared. :)

I take it you are going solo? Where to?
Best, KF

Thanks for the detailed response and advices. As of now, I am not going anywhere because I don't have the bike yet. LOL.

But I am doing some brain storming to build the perfect bike for it.
Here is what i am looking at:

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/sm/gte/index_e.html

30-40lbs of lipo will go right under my seat if you look at the picture, obviously with reinforcements than the one provided by HP Velotechnik.
I learned my lesson on building hard tail ebikes, so I am definitely going full suspension.
Stuff and chargers will go on the rear rack. If I am short on room, I might just tow a trailer.
As of now, BMC V4C might be the best choice, but I fear it cannot hold 30mph constant for over 3 hours with all the weight. : ). I might end up using Cyrstalyte HS3540 DD for reliability, regen and easy of use. As for the hills, I will pedal assist and go slow so I should be ok for just using single drive.

I chose recumbent for comfort and aerodynamics. This way I don't need 100lbs of Lipo to do 100miles. LOL.

The trip is touring from San Diego California to Seattle Washington, probably during early April when things starts to melt and are worth seeing. As of now, I cannot afford time or money to build and go. I would also like to do round trip. i.e. head up on the coast and then go back down on in the Sierras.

I know it requires serious planning, i.e. figure out where I would charge and such. So I would need to do practice runs i.e. tour to LA first and back, then to the bay area and back and then maybe the whole way. But again as of now, I would like to just focus on building a machine that can do it reliably.

We should coordinate once I get my rid setup working. But it looks like you will be up there. Maybe for one way trip. LOL.

• +1 Recumbent: That will work well for a more relaxing ride. Caveats: You will not save that much from lower aero unless you do the shell, and even then the best that can be achieved is about 1/3 less wind resistance.
  • A trailer would definitely help, although I didn’t care for the Bob Ibex; too flimsy and heavy – and it could not carry the advertised weight, hence the reason why I made my own.
  • You want to leave in April… this year? :shock:
  • San Diego to Seattle sounds great. :wink:
  • Check the weather: In late summer-fall the wind blows north to south, so you might want to reverse the direction. Almost everyone… ok, E V E R Y O N E that I saw riding cross-country was going the other way. :roll:
  • The PNW will be wet, Wet, WET so prepare for that.
  • On Hwy 1, there are dangerous road conditions due to construction around Montara south of SF; just take over the lane through that section and drive like a bat outta hell to get through it cos there’s no room for cars and bikes.
  • Oregon roads are well-maintained; they are very bike-centric and I enjoyed my travels through the state.
  • I came across fog of all things when leaving Hollister towards Santa Cruz: Pick out clothing that is highly visible and reflective.
  • The first few days I started out late, though eventually built my stride by leaving before the crack of dawn: Less cars on the road when leaving congestion – and they’re headed the other way, less wind in the morning (I noticed that wind picked up between 12 Noon to 2 PM), more time to get to your destination, better chance of finding a room when you get there.
  • By Week-4, I was riding an average of 140 miles/day which translated to 7 hours, not counting rests. This is a pace.
  • Loop through the Sierras: The route I took was pretty good; I would change little except to see what I may have missed. Some roads should be avoided, like Tionista and Panoche’s Jackass Pass, though I don’t think it would affect you very much. Gosh, now you have me thinking of a border-to-border run: Vancouver BC to San Diego. Ha! Maybe after my next road trip; I’ve got one in the works now that is going to be an awesome feat for 2013.
When you get underway, let me know when you get close so we can meet up. We can be brothers with Justin in the E-pic Touring Club! 8)
Cheers, KF

Back