GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

andreym said:
Skippic said:
Great news Greg, mayby you can bump it up to 150C. The halls and temp sensor should withstand that.
I had my hs3540 at more than 150 several times during the last summer, and everyday of 120+ at the windings.
but never wend above 170 so the windings color was the same as new. So do not worry about 150C - you should only avoid it getting above 170-180C and it will be just fine.

wow. and ive got my temp alarm set to 90degC... and haven't hit it yet! active cooling ftw.

greg, you should open up the temp monitor, and take out the alarm, put a switch in its place and mount the alarm externally. that way, when the alarm goes off, you can switch it off w/o switching off the temp probe. works like a charm.

sn0wchyld said:
wow. and ive got my temp alarm set to 90degC... and haven't hit it yet! active cooling ftw.
really! wow!

i hit 125 after a fairly normal, mostly downhill commute this morning, because it was raining! otherwise the holy motor woulda been much hotter.

i had a dilemma about which bike to ride this morning. it was raining and i have a work presentation at the client's in a minute and could NOT be late. (amused reflections of justin's appraisal comments on ebike reliability...) the GT's been acting up and i suspsect a failing hall. (can't test that since i blew the ebike tester. :roll: ) but i had a great idea: why not swap out the sensored controller with a lyen sensorless which i bought as a backup? so i swapped them, the sensorless ran fine when i lifted the wheel, but crap, no regen, and double crap, no rear brakes, and tripple crap, it's raining and my 6" front brakes screeches like a banchee in the wet and hardly works at all. so i look over at the giant dh comp, and think, ok, it's rain baptism day for you, honey. :lol: you've got regen, you've got a nice front brake, just a bit of tape here and there to cover the wires i want to stay dry, and off i went... i got into work, but can you imagine what my face looked like after going 30mph on nobbies in the wet w/o a front fender... :lol:

you should open up the temp monitor, and take out the alarm, put a switch in its place and mount the alarm externally.
excellent idea. thank you. for that, i will remove and weigh the motor/wheel.

It would be nice to know the temperatures you used to achieve with your old 9x7 without holes on a hot day...

It must have been around 200C. Dunno how the halls survived that.

As you say, now we see, but higher temp rated sensors might be needed.

i touched the 9x7 (rotor) today when it was 150c and could keep my finger there for a couple seconds.

there've been times it's been so hot i couldn't touch it for .5 sec..

dc summer's can be hot! the one i gave you was pretty well cooked, wasn't it?

still, i've never smoked the windings, only halls...

definitely been on a destructive streak. the BMS Battery charger failed to charge during work (but i made it home on SP 1) and when i plugged it in at home i heard a nice pop:
IMG_4856.JPG
IMG_4857.JPG
IMG_4858.JPG
View attachment 3
IMG_4860.JPG
i think it's probably had it. kaput. the cap was none to happy. is that coiled thing the regulator? anything else i should investigate, for posterities sake?

balance charging w/ 150W(?) accueil something or other till a replacement comes in.

who ever said this was a green hobby?

That sucks man! Those chargers seem to be going POP! a lot. I had considered one until I got to the shipping page :shock: No Thanks!

GCinDC said:
definitely been on a destructive streak. the BMS Battery charger failed to charge during work
balance charging w/ 150W(?) accueil something or other till a replacement comes in.
you should definitely ask dbaker for a 1200w psu he got probably half the year ago(i believe he got 2 of them)
See details here
Let me know if\when you get it, I`ll tell you what pins to short to make it 41.5v :wink:

hey andrey, my rear motorcycle wheel reminds me of your compatriot's avatar! :lol:

Re the charger:
andreym said:
Let me know if\when you get it, I`ll tell you what pins to short to make it 41.5v :wink:
so i'd need two for 83V? dang, the whole reason i liked the BMS Battery charger is the form factor. Easy to carry to work..

I've got a 20v meanwell as psu for balance charger, and for the bench it's fine, but it sucks to carry. thanks for link tho. i'll read up on it.

Skippic said:
You need a serious bulk charger. Would you consider my way of charging?
i don't understand your charger! didn't you say it was like 2A?

my first lipo charger was a total joke. .5A? it took 12 hours to charge a 5s2p pack! the 600W bms charger charged my half drained pack in an hour, plenty quick enough for me to take lunchtime ride, then charge up for return commute.

and honestly, this thing was ALWAYS on - maybe that was a mistake on my part, but after AM commute, it sat on charger till end of day, then rode in my backpack for 20 min, then worked for an hour in my garage and sat ON until 7AM, and then would take 15 min break in my backpack and then sit ON till the PM commute... was that bad? I did hear some a quiet constant ticking, but didn't think anything of it.... :?

so anyway, i'll probably get another, because 600W is plenty and form factor is of utmost importance.

Re Wheel Swap:
The motorcycle wheel was fun enough, but it needs to be relaced, and after novelty wore off, i wanted my speed back! the hs3540 was just sitting there upgraded on the bench. so i decided to swap nobbies for my new HOOKWORMS. i was up till 1AM - those hookworms are hard to install!
IMG_20120322_082434.jpg
Work Notes:
- Motor removal/replacement very easy with kiwi's dropouts - no complicated torque arms... :D
- Disc brake alignments are tedious
- Installing hookworm on hs3540 was a PIA
- Installing hookworm on front DH rim was a Total PIA - i first punctured tube, patched & replaced it, good fun at 12:30am :roll:

So guess how disappointed I was when I fired it up to take off this morning and demons banging inside the motor! No idea what it was, but seemed to operate ok - perhaps something that will just grind down with a bit of use? So I started my commute and only got 1/4 mile before a hall failed... Video to come.

So I commuted on GT with sensorless controller, which sucked at starts and felt really anemic.

Fun hobby tho. :p

GCinDC said:
Re the charger:
andreym said:
so i'd need two for 83V? dang, the whole reason i liked the BMS Battery charger is the form factor. Easy to carry to work..
why don`t you want just to plug your famous series-parallel adapter to the main leads only?
you need to make it 10s4p instead of 20s2p
that was my way of charging for the past year :)
anyway 30amps it outputs is ok for 4p but i believe it will be too much for 2p... so I do not recommend 2 chargers in series...
so in 10s4p config it will be 37v nominal and 20ah - it will take like 30-40 minutes to fully recharge your pack at 30amps of output.
at least I got up to 30amps out on 220v input. Datasheet sais it will be a bit less at 120v though. Anyway it will be much faster than bms-battery crap you were using...

GCinDC said:
and honestly, this thing was ALWAYS on - maybe that was a mistake on my part, but after AM commute, it sat on charger till end of day, then rode in my backpack for 20 min, then worked for an hour in my garage and sat ON until 7AM, and then would take 15 min break in my backpack and then sit ON till the PM commute... was that bad? I did hear some a quiet constant ticking, but didn't think anything of it.... :?

so anyway, i'll probably get another, because 600W is plenty and form factor is of utmost importance.
How about buying two chargers? One for home, one for work. Gives them each a rest, and means they have an easier life not getting thrown around while you assault the urban environment. Also gives you a back-up if one dies.

- Adrian

andreym said:
why don`t you want just to plug your famous series-parallel adapter to the main leads only?
oh, i'd be happy to do that. but how big is it?? looks like 2 feet long! i just saw doc said it was small, but would you mind measuring? thanks!

hey adrian, i park in a public garage, so i'm not sure where i'd stow it that it'd be convenient. but if size/price are right, maybe i can find a place...

i've certainly been using my backups these days! and the turnigy made some ugly sounds when i hooked it up, on only the fourth charge of it's life so far.. :roll:

GCinDC said:
hey adrian, i park in a public garage, so i'm not sure where i'd stow it that it'd be convenient. but if size/price are right, maybe i can find a place...

I hear you. I was lucky in being able to park in a locked cage at work with a power point. As I had ~8 hours of charging time I used a cheap 2amp charger for my 10Ah pack, as so didn't need anything quicker.

GCinDC said:
sounded FINE on the bench, in the vice. on the bike is another matter!
[youtube]FgYSpTkUIFY[/youtube]
i took it all apart and can't see what could be making that sound... . :roll:

did you check the side cover bolts? there might be one thats come out a turn or two, just enough to clip the break calliper? sounds metal on metal to me...
sucks about the charger. my own bms 400 only made it through about 10min of its first charge before the regulator coil overheated and stunk up my house.

ps
what are you going to do with the old mx rim/tyre/spokes? posting it may be too expensive but i might be willing to take them off your hands for a nominal fee (the 17" I have right now is a tad too small)

sn0wchyld said:
did you check the side cover bolts?
i did, but maybe i missed it. sounded more like a rub at low speed, but perhaps that's consistent w/ screw head.

here's how it sounds on the bench. there was a distinct moment when it lost power, hence my assumption it's a hall. but after taking this apart, it's not clear what was making the sound, except perhaps some fat shrinktube on a phase wire, and it does look a bit rubbed.
[youtube]LLGv0F5xAoE[/youtube]

what are you going to do with the old mx rim/tyre/spokes?
needs to be relaced. had planned to install hs3540, but have been rethinking that. kinda curious what a cromotor would be like in it! :lol:

tbd. that reminds me i need to weigh it!

I am sure you already knew cause you rode dbaker's ebike with cromotor. didn't you? :mrgreen:

I can't wait 2 cromotors coming for me next week. 8)

GCinDC said:
what a cromotor would be like in it! :lol:

GCinDC said:
sn0wchyld said:
i did, but maybe i missed it. sounded more like a rub at low speed, but perhaps that's consistent w/ screw head.

here's how it sounds on the bench. there was a distinct moment when it lost power, hence my assumption it's a hall. but after taking this apart, it's not clear what was making the sound, except perhaps some fat shrinktube on a phase wire, and it does look a bit rubbed.

needs to be relaced. had planned to install hs3540, but have been rethinking that. kinda curious what a cromotor would be like in it! :lol:

On the last vid, the sound is what look like a missing phase or shorted phase wire.. or hall wire.. check by disconecting each phase wire one by one. Each time retry runing it. If the sound nearly dissapear but your motor only have less power, it is that phase wire the problem

Doc

GCinDC said:
andreym said:
oh, i'd be happy to do that. but how big is it?? looks like 2 feet long! i just saw doc said it was small, but would you mind measuring? thanks!
According to datasheet it is: 11.02 x 3.44 x 1.65” / 284.5 x 87.4 x 41.9mm
and 1.27kg weight
but actual weight is a bit more - around 1.5kilo.

Doctorbass said:
GCinDC said:
sn0wchyld said:

On the last vid, the sound is what look like a missing phase or shorted phase wire.. or hall wire.. check by disconecting each phase wire one by one. Each time retry runing it. If the sound nearly dissapear but your motor only have less power, it is that phase wire the problem

Doc

does sound too frequent on that last vid to be a single point on the wheel... unless the rpms were far higher than it looked...
is the noise only there under power? ie free-wheeling is silent? if its still noisy with no power then that'd pretty much rule phase shorts etc out wouldnt it?

Doctorbass said:
thanks, doc. these phase wires perplex me, esp the term 'shorted' - when ever i check for continuity between the phase wires, i always get zero resistance.. so they all seem shorted. i do this of course with the multimeter, checking for resistance, and touching the green phase with one terminal and the yellow or blue with another... i don't understand that. but it's true for every motor i've tested, so it must be by design... so a 'shorted phase' means one where the the short occurs 'prematurely' in the leads, or in the coils?

if one phase wire is shorted, the sound may go away if i disconnect one?? i will try it...

but i will also try connecting to new sensorless controller to see if it runs (to rule out the halls). then i'll make the pilgrimage to dbaker's to borrow ebike tester and try that. :mrgreen:

andreym said:
According to datasheet it is: 11.02 x 3.44 x 1.65” / 284.5 x 87.4 x 41.9mm
thanks! it's a nice size compared to MW. maybe time to order TWO. :mrgreen:

i might be a bit concerned about charge rate for my old lipo pack. one cell has been dragging, so i gotta keep a close eye on balance there... thanks! maybe now i won't charge like a girl.

GrayKard said:
You must live in an alternate universe where there are 30 hours in a day.
haha, if true, doc lives in a universe where's there's 60hrs in a day! i just take lots of pictures... at home kids take up all my time, but eventually they fall asleep. :lol:

chroot said:
I can't wait 2 cromotors coming for me next week.
are you keeping up a build thread? what donor bike?

snow, as promised, 9x7 + ~4.5lb Alum Excel Rim + ~8.5lb Shinko 244 tire + Some Giant Tube + Spokes:
IMG_20120323_073749.jpg

and imagine my horror when i hopped on GT this morning and noticed Old Faithful 9C side cover was COMING OFF?? wtf? emil, did we unscrew this when you were over? i can't imagine it unscrewing on it's own!
IMG_20120323_074712.jpg

Back