Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Thanks mate. We might see some more Hyena Industries Stealths out there once peoples warranties are up :)
I've actually had a few offers to buy it and while I'm reluctant to sell it the money would enable me to get stuck into my custom frame project I've wanted to do for ages.

Yes it is pretty good over the rough stuff, especially after riding my hardtail on the same track!
I can't oblige with an all day video but here's another few minutes worth from that ride, on some faster trails.
Part 3 is coming soon and has the parts in it where I ran into the dirt bikes. Alot of it is relatively slow as the terrain was very steep and rocky/difficult.

As before the video is still uploading (about an hour to go) but once you can see the image below it's done.

[youtube]F13FQ1ZXE-k[/youtube]

Awesome vids Jay, if youre taking requests, maybe you could hit that golf course under construction across the road from where this was filmed :twisted:

Seriously good luck this week on the health front matee, there's a big gang of guys on here, clench fisted hard wishing good news for you and your family, leighton Hewitt style COME ON!

Hobbit said:
Awesome vids Jay, if youre taking requests, maybe you could hit that golf course under construction across the road from where this was filmed :twisted:

Seriously good luck this week on the health front matee, there's a big gang of guys on here, clench fisted hard wishing good news for you and your family, leighton Hewitt style COME ON!

+1, on both points!

Thanks fellas, the big scan is tomorrow and I get the results thursday.
Hobbit, I'll be riding past the place you saw me last time at 8am if you'll be in the area

Golf course you say hobbit ?
*scratches chin* :twisted:
I did see one area roughly opposite this which I think is where the old tip was, all bare with big mounds of dirt. That could be fun to blast though. I did end up accidently at the back of a golf course last time anyway, but it had been long established. Is where you're talking about an extension of this ?

In unrelated news, I called into bunnings this afternoon to get some bits I needed and on the way home came across a petrol powered bike. I was spewing I'd left the gopro on my fighter the previous day and was running late so didn't have time to swap the mounts over. I heard him coming and looked around to see him riding like a maniac, zooming off the gutter then weaving around cars back and forth and down the wrong side of the road. Why do all gassers ride like assholes and attract attention to themselves ? I guess this is why the cops have it in for them and not ebikes.

Anyway I was keen to see what he had as he seemed to accelerate quite quickly when I saw him approach from the site. I was minding my own business pedalling along at 40ks and he came up behind me sitting right up my arse, as soon as the car behind us passed he zoomed up along side, smirked at me then continued to pull away slowly down a hill at max revs (noisy, smokey bloody thing). I let him get a bit of distance then flicked into 120% mode and quickly reeled him in. I flew up the inside and yelled out "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?!" He looked around stunned then I zoomed off and he never caught up :mrgreen:
I might detour that way on the way home tomorrow and see if I can find him again :twisted:

Ahh great story!! love it and damn shame that you didn't have the cam running!! that's always the case! my commute is so short I don't bother with the cam but I always take it out on long rides and have caught some funny stuff. lots of lycra beating lately although I feel bad for doing it, I was stopped by a railway bridge at the weekend taking a drink and checking on my batts, this Lycra dude stopped and asked if all was OK and whether I needed help, (maybe he thought I was going to jump!! ha) but you know they aint all bad.

Anyway back to your smoker, you simply have to try and meet him again that would be so funny!! super stink racer! I have never ever seen one over here in the UK although there is an eBay seller that is always trying to sell kits by miss selling them as ebike kits? WTF! I mailed the guy and asked him what part of his kit was electric, he replied that it had a kill switch! ha ha and he had to list them under electric bikes as nobody found them otherwise, I suppose its a fair point although its not strictly playing fair.

If you can get video that would be great although my experience of timing runs to catch bikes or cars that I have seen before have never been very successful and by the way this guy rides I would bet he might not be on the road for too long? Good luck this week with the results and tests :)

It was an industrial area and the guy looked like a labourer or tradie of some sort so I reckon there's a good chance if I sit by the side of the road and wait he'll come along soon or later when he knocks off work :)
Most hyenas scavenge on the kills of others, this one hunts and stalks his prey :mrgreen:

Maybe I should mount the gopro facing backwards so you don't just see a glimpse of him as I go by :twisted:

1 more video uploading for ya knoxie - riding with dirt bikes from the weekend. No different camera angles on this one, just all onboard footage with not alot of editing but you'll probably enjoy it. Some nasty and steep terrain in this one but the motor did pretty well for a high speed wind. Youtube is still showing 3 hrs - urrgh I'll post the link later

The tradie types on smoker bikes are doing it because they've been caught for the 5th time driving their cars without a licence and had them impounded. They ride like that because... that's the sort of people they are. I still have my stink bike in the garage, used to use it on Fridays to get home with a bellyfull of the amber nectar and not have to worry about drink driving..... The ebike is soooo much better now- I love the sound of silence....

Nice vids there Jay, and yes, good luck tomorrow and Thursday- I'll be sending a prayer or two to God, Jehovah, Allah, Buddah and the mice (it'll be interesting to see who gets that one), just to cover most bases.

Hyena said:
Thanks fellas, the big scan is tomorrow and I get the results thursday.
Hobbit, I'll be riding past the place you saw me last time at 8am if you'll be in the area

Golf course you say hobbit ?
*scratches chin* :twisted:
I did see one area roughly opposite this which I think is where the old tip was, all bare with big mounds of dirt. That could be fun to blast though. I did end up accidently at the back of a golf course last time anyway, but it had been long established. Is where you're talking about an extension of this ?

In unrelated news, I called into bunnings this afternoon to get some bits I needed and on the way home came across a petrol powered bike. I was spewing I'd left the gopro on my fighter the previous day and was running late so didn't have time to swap the mounts over. I heard him coming and looked around to see him riding like a maniac, zooming off the gutter then weaving around cars back and forth and down the wrong side of the road. Why do all gassers ride like assholes and attract attention to themselves ? I guess this is why the cops have it in for them and not ebikes.

Anyway I was keen to see what he had as he seemed to accelerate quite quickly when I saw him approach from the site. I was minding my own business pedalling along at 40ks and he came up behind me sitting right up my arse, as soon as the car behind us passed he zoomed up along side, smirked at me then continued to pull away slowly down a hill at max revs (noisy, smokey bloody thing). I let him get a bit of distance then flicked into 120% mode and quickly reeled him in. I flew up the inside and yelled out "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?!" He looked around stunned then I zoomed off and he never caught up :mrgreen:
I might detour that way on the way home tomorrow and see if I can find him again :twisted:

hahahah lol I had a similar experience with a gasser myself, though he was just a kid and not acting like an ass. stoped and chatted for a while, he claimed to have a top speed of 'about 75'. lol, sure sure I thought... as he was about to ride off home I suggested a drag race down the street - a speedbump street as it happened. he immediately floored it and raced off, with a 15-odd-m and 3-5 seconds head start. needless to say I flicked it to 100% (i dont have 120 yet :cry: ) and ripped past him a few seconds later, leaving him for dead over the bumps. No way that thing'd ever hit 75, much less beating me at around 65. and like you, I'd left the gopro at home that day :evil: . still fun though eh?!

andynogo said:
The tradie types on smoker bikes are doing it because they've been caught for the 5th time driving their cars without a licence and had them impounded.
Yes I must admit he did look to fit that profile and I'm sure he would have previously had a battered VN commodore in his driveway at home.

good luck tomorrow and Thursday- I'll be sending a prayer or two to God, Jehovah, Allah, Buddah and the mice (it'll be interesting to see who gets that one), just to cover most bases.
You forgot the only one that really counts, the flying spaghetti monster! :p
But thanks fellas :)

Tomorrow I shall be cycling to the cyclotron :lol:

Final video for a while!

[youtube]sHhHh2eqlTA[/youtube]

I'm off to canberra this weekend, will hopefully catch up with Philistine while I'm down there.
I was hoping to take my new custom frame bike but it's in pieces for painting at the moment and it's going to be a rush to get it finished by thursday night so I might just take my blue hardtail.

knoxie said:
lots of lycra beating lately although I feel bad for doing it,

Lycra beating? What kind of game are you playing where you put a motor against human power? I will say it again, it sounds silly. Yes, I'm an ebiker and also a lycra, at different times.

Ebiker against a smoker? Hell ya. I love that.

chill your beans veloman..I simply mean that I pass lycra dudes and dudettes when I am out on the road and feel bad for doing it I am not bragging that I have done it? quite the opposite? you have misread what I said. Beating meaning passing them not hitting them with a big stick :roll: :wink:

Lots of my buddies ride in clubs and I have joined them on rides in the past and I regularly go out on a normal bike myself, thats why I feel bad when I pass folks who dont know me, they must get disheartened if they dont spot whats going on, I mean you spend 10K on a carbon racing bike and someone passes you an 200 quid mtb, oh and before you say, a lot of my buddies at the club didnt know my bike was electric when I rode past them, when your head is down peddling you dont.

Oh and for the record racing against mopeds is one of my favourite sports :mrgreen:

:lol: thats the way to go show him who is king of the road you dont have to have a gas bike to be fast .plus the police can not hear you coming on a ebike :twisted: well dun jay shame you never had a vid of that lol

knoxie said:
Beating meaning passing them not hitting them with a big stick :roll: :wink:
Nothing says 'get out of my way' like being clouted in the head with a hub motor :lol:

In breaking news, I got some pretty news from my oncologist this arvo.
My tumor is still there (about the size of a golf ball) but not growing so they're not going to do any more treatment for now and just watch it for the coming months. Obviously there's no guarantees but it looks like I won't have 2012 chiseled into my headstone! :)

Now, time to get some really cool ebike projects going 8)

Oh man, that's the awesome-est news. Hyena industries full steam ahead!

Hyena said:
My tumor is still there (about the size of a golf ball) but not growing so they're not going to do any more treatment for now and just watch it for the coming months.

Great news that it isn't growing. Really really glad to hear it. How did the family take the news?

Why no more treatment, and the wait and see. Is it a case of the cure being worth than the symptoms?
I assume that also means it is to risky to go and a get out.

Anyway. Awesome news.

All the best, Adrian.

hyena said:
My tumor is still there (about the size of a golf ball) but not growing so they're not going to do any more treatment for now and just watch it for the coming months. Obviously there's no guarantees but it looks like I won't have 2012 chiseled into my

Fantastic news Jay, must be a huge relief for you and the rest of the HighSiDE Hyena clan... All the best with your up and coming projects

KiM

Back