New electric mountain bike frame by Phasor Cycles

BATFINK said:
Thanks for info, how much deposit do they need to pre order?

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

They asked me for 1/2 deposit. But im not sure what they are asking everyone else. Your best bet is to just send David a messege. He is very busy but will eventually reply. I just spoke with him and he is very anxious to post up some vids in the for sale section, but weather and a fork spring is holding him back.

Here is some additional information on the requirements for the front fork and rear shock.

dpearce said:
Hello Billy,
The head tube length is 5". So your steerer tube needs to be at least 5" + the stack hieght of your headset, + thickness of your upper triple clamp mounts, if you are using a direct mount handlebar mount.
If you are using a stem that mounts to the steerer tube, as opposed to mounting directly on the triple clamps, as shown in this picture
Direct triple clamp mount:
2012-03-16_14-29-29_428.jpg

then you will need the steerer tube to extend beyond the top of the triple clamps by a few inches, depending on the requirements of your stem. So if buying used, you would need to make sure to buy a fork with a steerer tube that hasn't been cut for a direct mount stem, or ideally one that hasn't been cut at all.

or the rear shock, to get 8.1" of rear travel you need a 3" stroke shock, to keep the geometry the same it needs to be 9.5" eye to eye. Eye diameter needs to be for an 8mm bolt. Width in between shock tabs is 1".

Of course anything will work, you can use something with less stroke, but it will lower the bike a little bit and have a little less travel. If the eye diameter uses a larger than 8mm bolt you can always drill it out, you probably won't find shocks with anything smaller than that.

You can find these cheaper sometimes if you keep your eye out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Fox-DHX-RC4-Boost-Valve-Shock-9-5-x-3-0-400-new-/230756276684?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ba2559cc

Thanks-
David

I have messages phasor both through the website and via private message here

Great stuff been messages by David, still some testing being done and I'm committed to buying a frame, will drop deposit as soon as the testing is complete, can't wait! Yes be nice to start getting things together for the bike.

Phasor crew,
Were you guys able to hit the trails hard this weekend? results?
Weather sure did look nice in Cali the past few days!

Not really, didn't get a chance yesterday. Weather was nice, not so much today it has been raining all day. We did finally get the fork spring in the mail so the bike is ready to go and I cannot wait to get on the trails with it. I hope to get out during the week sometime. I have been putting some miles on it around town just searching for some jumps, but everything is paved and nothing is more than curb high around here:

[youtube]P4iCYYaeUOA[/youtube]

ROG130 here is the source for the wheels, they are available in several different diameters / widths. They are not intended for downhill use, and I have ovalized a pair of the 2.5" wide rims, but it wasn't easy..they are fairly strong.

http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/611/Rim-Only-26-x-3-Black/

I realize I am a bit late here but whatever happened to this frame?..got the $$ READY TO BUILD

Contact me if you are interested in pre-orders through PM or at
info@phasorcycles.com
There are a few spots left for this first run of frames, when we get 10 pre-orders we will order everything in bulk and start producing them one by one.
I hope to get the spring in the mail before the weekend so I can put some miles on this thing.

Those fat boy rims are nice. $150 for the 26" 3.0" wide front, laced to a hub. The problem for me would be finding someone local that can lace the rear hub to the rear rim. If I can't find anyone local, it would be a lot of money to ship a 40lb hub and rim round trip...

dpearce said:
At this point delivery of a frame is estimated at 2-3 months out.

Is this an accurate ETA for those that have already pre-paid? I know you said you expect about a week per build, which is understandable. I was just wondering if you added a month or so to the ETA in the FS thread to take into account the months worth of builds you already have. Or not, lol! 8) Either way, 2 months isnt terrible. I just wish my Kona was in better shape to hold me over.

If i saw someone rolling around town with your type of bike i wouldnt know what to say. Best of the best downhill parts throughout; and your riding on a sidewalk???! haha I know you explained why, but its still funny. If your bike could talk, it wouldnt be happy about the stroll through town. :lol: I like how you found that little patch of rocks!

Bike looks great! keep up the good work and updates! If you need any help putting it through the ropes, ide be happy to sign my life away for a frame. I dont hit gaps like you, but i trail bash huge roots, tree stumps and fallen trees at 30mph.

Deutch420 said:
Those fat boy rims are nice. $150 for the 26" 3.0" wide front, laced to a hub. The problem for me would be finding someone local that can lace the rear hub to the rear rim. If I can't find anyone local, it would be a lot of money to ship a 40lb hub and rim round trip...

DIY! :D Firs wheel took me ~ 4hours to build align and put tire on, second ~2 hours and I always am more satisfied with my results then local shops work.
I used this guide: http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Will this chassis take a standard rear wheel if someone wanted to do a mid drive with this frame??

Just got back from spending day riding with David and the Phasor Cycle on the coast line of Sunny Southern California. Nice day out here.

This is one awesome beautiful machine. Detailed unbiased ride report with lots of pics and videos coming.

Here is a teaser....one pic cant really do this bike justice...more pics coming.

Attachments

• IMG_7112.jpg
    IMG_7112.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 5,492
ohzee said:
dayumm that's one pretty baby.. if I pay the other 1/2 of my deposit can I move up in the queue \o/ haha

Nice try. I offered a % more for rush order. I got denied. :(

Heh I was just about to post something to that effect - did you rip the ass out of your pants ? :lol:
Looking good though guys, and great scenery.

One of the interesting things about this bike is it evolved from the carbon fiber bike we saw in the previous thread. This Phasor is not just clone of a stealth or a greyborg. David made some changes to the bike geometry based on riding that old design hard....big drops etc. He said he had been building up the size of jumps leading to this 7 foot drop in this video, and this weekend he plans to take some even more intense jumps. You guys might remember photos of the carbon fiber taking this same 7 foot drop. This was the first time this chromoly version of the frame would take this jump, and David was a little nervous if the bike could handle it because after all this is a prototype. David did seem releieved after taking the first jump (the one in the video) that the frame did indeed hold up (he ended up doing a total of 3 drops). Holding the camera, i was kind of secretly hoping for a lfp moment (and you know the bike is dangerous?) On the production version, if any weaknesses are found now they could be strengthened thicker steel used etc. Based on riding this bike, David did mention some small changes he will make on production version to improve on the prototype. David seems like a rare type. Not only a talented mechanical engineer, but also an avid builder, and a hard core rider. He also seems like a true perfectionist. After meeting with him i trust he is the type to design a kick ass bike. It is no wonder that his very first build, the carbon fiber prototype on the other thread, was such an ES standout, one of the nicest builds i have seen on here. It was Dogati himself who commented in that thread that David should take that frame into production....and now a few years later..he is doing just that. David said that when he built that first bike he had no intention of ever selling...he was building to build it as his senior design project...and for the love of building which he has always had in him. In case you haven't heard, a mechanical engineer who actually builds with his hands, can builds and enjoys building is a rare thing. It is a sweet idea conceptually that David applied his skills to design something using solidworks, and then used his unique skills as a builder to bring that conception to a reality. The materialization of the Phasor bike, and actually seeing it in person was inspiring for me, since i have been following his build threads since the beginning. Its amazing to me that the bike is actually available for anyone to buy now....and it is such a sweet ride.

Flashback to that early build thread:

CIMG2487.jpg

The fact is the Phasor is being tested to see if it will hold up to gigantic drops etc and so far it is holding up good.

Also a big benefit David mentioned about offering the frame in Chromoly, if some hard core rider does happen to break one, it can be welded and fixed pretty easily. If you break a carbon fiber frame its over. I was suprised there was only a 3 pound difference between carbon fiber frame and swing arm and chromoly frame and swingarm. I am assuming the carbon fiber version was much stronger than this steel version...but that is just a guess.

Good on you guys who took a chance and laid down cash for this bike. I think it is a good thing to see an American student building an ebike from the ground up and actually bringing it to market and you guys are supporting that effort. This is definitely a quality bike and at half the price of the bomber....IMO the stealth bomber has nothing over this bike and i have ridden both. I think many forum members here will opt for a bigger motor...the hubzilla or the 5304 crystalite like on the Bomber to get bomber like performance. But i thought this 80 pound bike with bmc v3 cranking 2000 watts was a nice choice. The bike felt extremely balanced, efficient, and powerful enough. You do after all have the down hills to get crazy...and being 40 pounds lighter than the Stealth and not having all that weight in the rear wheel does have its advantages handling wise. I remember when riding the Steatlh Bomber with its heavy weight and draggy motor that the pedals seemed like they were added as a technicality so you can call it an ebike. The Phasor with the bmc still pedaled and felt like a bike. But i really am partial to the BMC motor being a San Francsico guy (a lot of us run bmc's because of proximity to Ilia at ebikes-sf). The wonderful thing about the Phasor is you can build it in any configuration you want motor and battery wise. It will hold up to 56 volt 40ah in lipo battery.

In short, I can vouch for this bike and think it is a good thing to lay cash down. I cant think of a better deal in terms of commercially available high performance bikes. It is annoying that you have to source all the components yourself. David said in the future he hopes to provide some components and eventually complete bikes.

Just to throw something out there..the white brothers groove 200 fork, the same fork that comes on the stealth bomber at a $1200 upgrade price (cough) has been on ebay and online bike stores lately brand new for $500. Also the stock bomber fork RST-R1 is a $250 fork. And the rest of the bicycle components on the stealth are not that expensive. The v-boxx is nice..but heavy and ugly as a barrel of monkey butts. I think a sclumpf high speed drive, or the less expensive schlumpf clone is a great choice for the phaser...and just a single speed free wheel on the back (as the stealth fighter comes)

According to my math, you could stock this bike with a hubzilla motor, and as good if not better components than what are on the Stealth and save %50 over the price of the stealth, and help a noble effort which is a young american engineer fresh out of college hoping to make a living building electric bikes in really tough times to be an american building anything to sale.

Attachments

• IMG_7163.jpg
    IMG_7163.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 5,366
If the awesome build quality these guys had on their CF frame wasn't enough, if you check out their website and their quals, these guys clearly know what they are doing, and take pride in their work. If I had the reddies spare I would be ordering one of these in a heartbeat (and if I get a boost in my liquidity I suspect I may still).

My only concern is fitting my insanely large 24 Fet controller into the frame. If they were happy to do so, I think a lot of people would love to see more close up detail of the internal space in the frame, and (for example), showing the scale of putting things like a 24 Fet infineon (a cardboard box to scale would do) or 8AH zippy packs inside the frame.

But hats off to the Phasor guys, clearly some serious talent there.

The fighter has a unified rear triangle, which puts the cranks on the swing arm. That's like putting the pegs of a motorcycle on the swing arm. FAIL! (p.s. the $12,000 optibike is the same way :oops: ) I do like the v top tube though. The benefit is simplicity, no chain tensioner, NO derailleur, huge plus! The same reasons for the gearbox on the bomber. The bomber also has the pivot in the right place.
This bike has some advantages, I like the independent swing arm!, and I'm sure, like anything, some disadvantages (derailleur and high top tube, which also increases capacity, so maybe an advantage.). All in all a sweet bike at a fair price, and its made in America! Sure beats hanging lipo and duct tape all over the place, or the big rack over the rear wheel!!
Great job guys, its very similar to the frame I have in my head!!
$900-1200 for a complete used DH bike
$1900 for frame
$2000 for electrics
$5000 half the bomber or opti for a better bike!
ouch! :shock: the electric revolution is still a pricey proposition! Sure is sweet though! :mrgreen:

Here are some more pictures:

2012-04-15_18-58-54_293.jpg

2012-04-15_19-00-09_273.jpg

2012-04-15_16-48-46_433.jpg

2012-04-15_16-48-58_819.jpg

Thank you for the kind words Green Machine, it was great to meet someone who is so into electric bikes.

Here is a link to the battery spreadsheet again, I made some modifications and caught a mistake in it, I also included a little range calculator that is handy for use with the cycle analyst.

http://www.4shared.com/office/taztf0iT/Battery_Spreadsheet.html

Here is a link to a parts list, everything you will need to complete the bike, including the parts I used and some links to where you can get them.

http://www.4shared.com/office/VUaF6AEA/Parts_List_Phasor_Cycles.html

I have received all the material for this first batch of frames, and it is at the waterjet place right now being cut out. Once I get all the other parts machined then I can start assembling the first one. I have been riding eveyday, but still yet to get up to the jumps, it's either been rained out on the weekends or some other circumstance that has kept me from going. No rain this week but the trails Ive been wanting to go to are closed for brushfire maintenance for a week.

I am considering building wiring harnesses in a few different configurations that I know will fit in the frame, if there is interest. That would take much of the headache out of building the battery pack, you just buy all the zippys you need, plug them in and tape them up. Then you would need to wire the balance taps to a BMS, and cram it all in there. The harnesses take time to build though, which would be reflected in the price. I can say from experience that for me at least, they are not fun to build so it may be worth it for some to be able to just buy one.

Back