72v 1500W 40A Hua Tong CA08 XM06AD_P04.1 controller

Sorry to ask a redundant question, but I'm looking to mod one of these controllers to 48v with the resistor LVC mod. DHGate no longer stocks them, and I can't tell which version alibaba or ebay offers -- who is recommended to buy from so that I can do this 48v mod?

thanks for all your trials and errors, guys...(and posting them!)

It is really hard to guess which model you get when you order. Greentime has the original, but their shipping is much more expensive than from DHGATE. I have an extra on, just across the border from you and if you can wait until April 20, I will be in Bellingham and can ship from their. PM me if interested.

I have just ordered a couple of 1200w 60v controllers from Greentime and they are being sent via Hong Kong post with a tracking number through Australia Post and it is costing me around $8 each for shipping.

XLR8 said:
I have just ordered a couple of 1200w 60v controllers from Greentime and they are being sent via Hong Kong post with a tracking number through Australia Post and it is costing me around $8 each for shipping.

This is great news as in the past, Greentime could not/would not use HK Post, only DHL which cost more than the price of the controller.

XLR8 is in Australia, so that might have something to do with the shipping being HKPOST, the geographical proximity, but I will make a general inquiry,

HKPOST is a good way to avoid the customs, from my POV at least.

Here's mine, inside and out, I am pretty sure its a HUA TONG of some description but that it is much older than the versions being discussed here.

IRF 1407 Mosfets, Good to around 75v and 100A or 130A depending on the spec. Does that mean Phase Amps or Battery Amps???

RSCN5227.jpg

I have no clue what this connection does. It has 4 wires, brown, orange, white, and blue.

DSCN5266.jpg

They terminate at the following pads:

Blue: Q. Orange: D. Brown: XL. White: X

DSCN5242.jpg

There is a single-wire PURPLE connector, it terminates at Pad: S

This is what I assume to be the regen jumper, it terminates at a jumper-pad "XS"

DSCN5261.jpg

Jumper-Pad XS:
DSCN5260.jpg

Unknown Pad, its not connected to anything and is denoted by "1:1"

DSCN5243.jpg

The E-Brakes terminate at Pad: E and Pad: Ground.

Throttle terminates at Pad T, T- and T+. Red goes to T+, Black to T- and Grey to T.

LED's

There are two LED's, one Red and one Green.

LED1, Red

DSCN5252.jpg

LED2, Green

DSCN5251.jpg

This is, potentially, the most exciting bit. Its what looks to be a 5 Pin connector, hopefully for programming.

DSCN5228.jpg

I tried to get a photo of the main chipset, but its covered in some sort of a film or scum.

DSCN5236.jpg

For some reason, there is some sort of a capacitor or something wired into the trace. I would be grateful for any information on this.

DSCN5231.jpg

wesnewell said:
It lives!!!!
All I needed to do was swap the Y and G phase and hall wires. Runs great and fast even on 19s. Can't tell how fast as I don't have a speedometer on this bike. So for ~$37 shipped, and a little work, I've got a decent 72V controller. Next phase of testing is to go to 23s and test the cruise control. Hope to get this done today.

I had exactly the same issue with my controller today, swapped the y and g phase and halls, good god this goes. woop woop.

got cruise control and pad x wired to my brakes. still needs better braking. but thanks again this thread is priceless

Regen (pad X on pc board) was not brought out on either of the ones I bought. I cut the alarm connectors off and moved the wires inside to get whatever I wanted. The single light orange/brown wire was cruise control on both of mine. Installed a momentary button to ground for it. Ran regen through ebrake lever switches to ground for regen.

wesnewell said:
Regen (pad X on pc board) was not brought out on either of the ones I bought. I cut the alarm connectors off and moved the wires inside to get whatever I wanted. The single light orange/brown wire was cruise control on both of mine. Installed a momentary button to ground for it. Ran regen through ebrake lever switches to ground for regen.

I see you are using the controller on the yescom 48v1000w. That is the motor I have and I tried it with Hua Tong with 18s Lipo and the wheel just stutters, never starts spinning...what mod did you do to make it work properly? I saw the mod to make it work at 50 volts, but am now just thinking to wire my battery for 72 volts if I can get the controller to drive the motor correctly.

thanks!

cwah said:
Not sure to understand, do you mean there is no regen on my controller?
No, I mean you have to wire it up. Regen works fine on the 2 I have using 18s lipo.. So does cruise control, and speed limiting switch. And if you want a strong ebrake, so does brake-hi. Regen and brake-hi only work up to about 78V. Go over that and it doesn't work.

caleb said:
I see you are using the controller on the yescom 48v1000w. That is the motor I have and I tried it with Hua Tong with 18s Lipo and the wheel just stutters, never starts spinning...what mod did you do to make it work properly? I saw the mod to make it work at 50 volts, but am now just thinking to wire my battery for 72 volts if I can get the controller to drive the motor correctly.

thanks!
Hooked up phase and hall wires like this.
Controller: Motor:
HALL:
Yellow Green
Green Yellow
Blue Blue

PHASE:
Yellow Green
Green Yellow
Blue Blue

wesnewell said:
cwah said:
Not sure to understand, do you mean there is no regen on my controller?
No, I mean you have to wire it up. Regen works fine on the 2 I have using 18s lipo.. So does cruise control, and speed limiting switch. And if you want a strong ebrake, so does brake-hi. Regen and brake-hi only work up to about 78V. Go over that and it doesn't work.

So brake-hi and regen belong to the same white plug? If I plug brake hi, then regen works at the same time?

I've read the ability to use regen via a throttle or a push button. any idea how I can do that?

Thanks for this invaluable help :)

cwah said:
So brake-hi and regen belong to the same white plug? If I plug brake hi, then regen works at the same time?

I've read the ability to use regen via a throttle or a push button. any idea how I can do that?

Thanks for this invaluable help :)
No. brake-hi and regen are two separate features and afaik can not be used at the same time. If you want to use a push button regen, wire the button from pad x to ground through it. Not sure if auto regen (anytime you release the throttle) is available. For power braking, wire the brake-hi white wire to positive battery voltage as I recall.

Thanks, sorry if I'm asking basic question because my knowledge in electronic is non existant. Didn't understood what "pad" meant initially.

For the regenerative braking, I understood that the XS pad is the regen jumper so when it's connected it's activated. But you also mentionned the x pad to connect for regen. So I suppose I should do that in 2 steps?
hua_controller_regen_pad.png

For the brake-hi, shall I connect it to the main positive battery wire? isn't that dangerous?
hua_controller_ebrake.jpg

Thanks for helping a noobie like me :)

There are many different 72V controllers. I'm referring to only this model with the CA08 XM06AD_P04.1 PC board inside. I haven't had mine open for over 9 months, but your pictures look like a different board. If it is, then disregard everything.

Ok, finally opened the controller.

On this side we can see the "x pad" without anything:
inside_center2.jpg

And here the "xs pad" without anything too:
inside_center.jpg

Here is the controller from behind:
rear.jpg

Not sure how to make sense of this for regen or ebrake lol

I hooked up the X pad to the ground through my brake levers and it does brake real strong (still don't know if it return current to the battery). I haven't tried the XS pad, maybe you can try it for us !

By the way, I see your controller was made November 5 2011 ; weren't the new controller supposed to have 4710 fets ??

Yes, any free pad where it is written gnd. Let us know what happen.
Maybe we will finally enable every function of this chep controller someday....

By the way, don't forget to run trough your brake lever...
While you have it openned for testing, you could try both pad.
The 4710 fets are your transistors (the 15 black "things" bolted to the heatsink). Some are better than others and chinese just put the least expensive of the day in those huatong controllers.

cwah said:

And here lies the problem. That is NOT the CA08 XM06AD_P04.1 controller PCB. It is a later model. This is the CA08 XM06AD_P04.1 controller PCB.

If your board is not exactly like this one, then the connections are probably totally different. Take questions about your controller to another thread, as you are just confusing yourself and everyone else.

wesnewell said:
cwah said:

And here lies the problem. That is NOT the CA08 XM06AD_P04.1 controller PCB. It is a later model. This is the CA08 XM06AD_P04.1 controller PCB.

Shall I also try to test the x and xs pad?

Back