Vaporware and failed EV companies

Awesome, if sad, thread. Thanks for all your research.

I'd love to see a similar thread of actual available EVs in the US. Wasn't Subaru going to release one sometime soon?! I love the idea of the Nissan Leaf, but for less than half the cost I could build an electric car myself with equal or better range. *sigh*

Toshi said:
index.php

Brammo Empulse. Current status: Still vaporware, although Brammo at least has shipped a few Enertias to show that they're for real.

A recent email from brammo (I preordered the empulse):

We are proud to announce that we will be revealing the production version of the much anticipated Brammo Empulse on May 8th, 2012. The launch event will take place in Los Angeles and will be webcast live to all pre-order customers. Since the Empulse concept was first revealed, a vast amount of development and testing has taken place and we are confident that you will be delighted with the ground-breaking electric motorcycle we are about to reveal. On April 18th we will announce full specifications of this exciting milestone in the evolution of motorcycling, giving you every opportunity to become familiar with the Empulse before seeing it for the first time on May 8th.

Electric motorcycle racing is an integral part of our lives here at Brammo and our experience and championship record on the track has played a critical role in the evolution of the Empulse from concept to production. Professional racers have had a hand in the development of the Empulse and they will be sharing their Empulse riding experiences and impressions with you at the reveal on May 8th.

Follow this link and learn more about the Empulse and its roots in Brammo's racing heritage.

If you have questions about the Brammo Empulse simply email empulse@brammo.com for an answer.

The Brammo Team

Toshi said:
ishoes_electric_shoes_1.jpg

iShoes. Current status: Out of business, apparently, with a dead domain name.

I own a pair of these, $250 if anyone wants them!

Thanks Toshi! This thread speaks volumes... now what is it trying to tell us?

bigmoose said:
Thanks Toshi! This thread speaks volumes... now what is it trying to tell us?

Batteries are still too expensive and 95% of designers suck
The world doesn't move as fast as we'd like especially the automotive industry
fuel injection was introduced 20+ years before every car on the road had it
same with disk brakes
abs
air bags
etc
money rules the world
if Tesla doesn't succeed the EV industry will be set back another 5 years
electric scooters and motorbike make much more sense than 4 wheelers given current battery tech
fast chargers and wireless charging are going to change the equation if there is standardization (big if)

Vegos-small.jpg

An orginal Zappy, ESW death scooter, and a pair of Vego scooters circa 2003.
All had some amount of production but went under after a short time.
I call the ESW a death scooter because it was powered by an Etek motor and was a stand-up only scooter with very short wheelbase. It also had very strange steering that made tight turns very difficult without a lot of practice.

1997-1999
switched reluctance motor - I remember this could make it up the steepest hills in SF
trish.jpg

GENERAL
Manufacturer EMB Incorporated (until Dec. 1999)
Warranty 1 Year Limited
Top Speed 45 mph (51 mph option)
Range upto 35 miles, see simulator
Recharge Time 4.2 hours (20% to 95%)
MOTOR
VR24 Electric, 24 vdc
Variable Reluctance
2-phase brushless design, Air Cooled
Torque 8 ft-lbs peak (40 ft-lb after reduction)
5:1 Helical Gearset, Internal to Motor
Max RPM 15,800
BATTERY PACK
Optima D750S (x4) Valve-regulated lead-acid
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) type
Non-spill, Maintenance free
Life Cycle 300-350 deep discharge(100% D.O.D.)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT
104 amp-hour, 24 volt VRLA/AGM advanced battery pack
VR24TM drive system with integral helical gear speed reduction
Fully automatic on-board charger
Electric, power-assisted regenerating rear brake with anti-lock features
Hydraulic fork with aluminum triple clamps
Twin coil-over-shock, adjustable rear suspension
Full floating hydraulic caliper front disk brake
Cast aluminum alloy helical style wheels
Dunlop performance tires
Electronic twist grip "smart" throttle
Safety neutral mode with "Power" select
Chrome foot peg
Custom molded seat
Keyed ignition switch
Speedometer/odometer
State-of-charger (fuel) meter
Sealed beam hi/lo/flash headlight system
Turn and tail light package
Dual rear view mirrors
Horn
Tool kit

hybrid_car2.jpg

"ECD Ovonics' hydrogen hybrid has been equipped with hydrogen storage tanks using the company's proprietary solid metal hydride technology, which enables hydrogen to bond at the atomic level with a powdered metal alloy inside the tanks. This technology allows storing hydrogen at much lower pressures than the 5,000 to 10,000 psi storage tanks typically used in other hydrogen vehicle applications. The result is the ability to carry a greater volume of hydrogen on-board to provide increased driving range, in this case just under 200 miles." http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Ovonic-Hydrogen-Hybrid-Vehicle-Begins-Fleet-Testing-at-South-Coast-AQMD-687745.htm

"On February 14, 2012 Energy Conversion Devices, Inc. and its subsidiaries, United Solar Ovonic LLC and Solar Integrated Technologies, Inc. filed for bankruptcy in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Conversion_Devices

2001 Xootr eX3
This thing was bad ass back in da day
20 pounds
brushless
made in USA
365f.jpg

365b.jpg

Ecycle motors- Solid Slot
solid_slot_stator.jpg

Vaporware for many years now.

Another one is Eestor:
http://eestorbatteries.com/
Technological Breakthrough

If EEstor is the real thing, revelutionary energy storage is here. EEstor is a very secretive company located in Cedar Park, Tx. They claim to have invented a new ultracapacitor power system that would replace current battery technologies and hopefully turn the automobile industry on its head. Based on current claims, a three to five minute charge should give the capacitor sufficient energy to drive a small car 300 miles (480 km). Zenn Motor Company owns the rights to these batteries for the automobile industry. EEstor's batteries are supposed to be available for Zenn's electric cars in the fall of 2009.

Hmm... what year is it now? Total investor scam.

built by The Electric Cycle Company (TECC). It is no longer manufactured as the company went out of business in 2006. Only 112 known units hand built in Van nuys,CA. Designer Ely Schless

It can reach 28 miles per hour (45 kilometres per hour) and maintains that speed for up to 30 miles (50 kilometres). It is a 36 volt system using three 12 volt batteries.

I actually rode one. Ugly but rode very nicely.

The Volvo C30 electric is NOT vaporware!
The business case has been clear from the beginning that the car is only able for leasing. The project plan was followed and the car was released in time. All cars are now out on the streets in the hands of people who has leased a car. I'm working with Volvo's EV projects so the source is reliable..... :wink:

Toshi said:
Volvo_C30_EV-1.jpg

index.php

news-scion-iq-ev-electirc-.jpg

Volvo C30 EV, Smart ED, Toyota/Scion iQ EV, birds of a feather. Current status: Vaporware from the consumer standpoint, with limited test runs available only for internal testing or testing in utility company fleets.

Goethe said:
The business case has been clear from the beginning that the car is only able for leasing. The project plan was followed and the car was released in time. All cars are now out on the streets in the hands of people who has leased a car. I'm working with Volvo's EV projects so the source is reliable..... :wink:

Are these lessees utility companies as I implied, or are they individual consumers?

Toshi said:
Goethe said:

Are these lessees utility companies as I implied, or are they individual consumers?

AFAIK are there no individual who has leased a car. Some cars has gone to utility companies thats been involved in the project. The rest of the cars has gone to different companies that wants the enviromental profile. But whats important is that the product is carrying its costs and its out on the streets. It's no difference to a limited edition sports car! Except the performance.... :wink:

i recently saw a Frito Lays deliver truck that was all electric. 2 ton cab type delivery truck. i think Lays is up to about 400 now, and they are also buying CNG powered delivery trucks and LNG long haul tractors for the freeway.

i think the ZENN is the nicest EV production vehicle, with SLA. but they went bankrupt last year too. part of eestore.

i have seen about 4 Leafs here in portland, and i rarely drive so there have to be a bunch.

fechter said:
Ecycle motors- Solid Slot
solid_slot_stator.jpg

Vaporware for many years now.

They haven't seemed to catch on commercially, but ZapPat has one.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7940&p=123303#p123303

flathill said:

I've seen quite a few ppl on A2B bikes,....
so how is it "failed" ?

The ones I have seen are quite awesome.... they are a blend between electric bike and moped.
(loved the wide-tires and beefy rims)

http://www.ultramotor.com/en_us/e-2-wheelers/e_scooters

EBJ said:
I've seen quite a few ppl on A2B bikes,....
so how is it "failed" ?
Well, they went bankrupt:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33908
That's usually a fail in most people's books. ;)

They were bought by Hero in India, so perhaps production will continue, though who knows what kind of changes to bikes or service will happen.

It's a beautiful bike. They just need to figure out how to drop the price.

Toshi said:
Toyota RAV4 EV. Current status: Vaporware, although its vapors (and the associated Toyota money) are seemingly all that's keeping Tesla afloat these days.
An update on the RAV4 EV, as detailed in a thread elsewhere on this board: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30141&p=579285#p577516

Toyota_RAV4_EV_003.jpg

- available for outright sale in 4 Cali markets "late summer 2012"
- $49.8k MSRP (see later in the linked thread for my analysis of this price with regard to a gas RAV4)
- production run of 2600 planned over next 3 years
- 115 kW motor, 41.8 kWh (!!) of Tesla lithium, 9.6 kW Level 2 charger (!), est. 4100 lb curb weight

Not bad, Toyota... if you meet your promised "late summer" of this year ship date!

Toshi said:

Saw something yesterday on a news site. A consortium including a Chinese company as a major partner apparently bought the assets and is talking up re-starting the project.
http://insideevs.com/aptera-usa-lives-made-by-zhejiang-jonway-group/

Still vaporware so far...

Back