Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Congrats to Jay and all others that survived the big C, my cousin went through chemo too and she's here still, my father went down a few years back but it is encouraging that not all is lost once diagnosed +,
well done all
mark

Good job Jojo, I lost my pa last summer, but mom is still here. He fought like the hero he is, but years of living life his way, got the better of him. Find a way to enjoy each day, and to hell with the rules, they are made to be broken anyway!
Brian L.

Hey jojothedog, or alteast his owner :p
Thanks for sharing your story, it's always good to hear of people getting on with their life and moving onwards and upwards.
I'm not sure I'd put myself in the survivors category yet as things are still very much up in the air but I guess I'm still alive for now so that counts for alot :p

I haven't been riding much lately, other than commuting to work which doesn't yield very exciting footage. I did get out for a quick squirt last weekend though so captured a bit of footage. I returned to one of the trails I haven't ridden in a year since before I got sick. Some may recognise it from one of the first videos I posted. The middle section I'd never ridden before so slowed a few times to work out which way the trail actually went! No fancy editing or camera angles in this one, my time was limited so it's just some onboard footage while out zipping around. I have a bit of a short attention span so often get bored watching fixed camera angle stuff but knoxie and a few others will probably like it.

I have some more footage from that ride which I'll try and edit later but that'll be it for new footage for a while. I pulled my gopro to pieces last night in an attempt to finally replace that badly scratched lens. After fitting the replacement I realised I'd accidently order a 25mm lens - which is hugely zoomed in compared to the stock 1.7mm one (even with it massively out of focus I could see it was no good) It would be useless for ebike use so I'll order another replacement but it wont arrive for a few weeks so until then I hope I dont crash or I'll be pissed to miss the stack :lol:
I'm going to go with a 3.6mm which has the effect of being slightly more zoomed in than the standard one but has none of the fish eye that the standard one has. Fingers crossed the swap is sucessful otherwise I'll have a dead gopro on my hand and have no option but to buy a hero 2 :mrgreen: Nah even when I do buy a new one I still want to keep this one for second angles or rear mounted or something.

Usual deal, the vid is still uploading for the next ~30 mins so won't be ready until you see the thumbnail

[youtube]rWrQJC7PVe4[/youtube]

That's enough to make me dizzy! Glad I don't have to try and keep up with that, I would have found a tree for sure. Nice of the youngster to leave his ride in the middle of the trail, I would have ran right over it and said OOPSIE! :shock: Thanks.
Brian L.

What does it weigh in at? Looks like the power is very responsive - can you lift the front wheel easily?

It's 40kg so a bit heavier than a stock fighter but lighter than a bomber and with (arguably) better performance.
The weight over the stock fighter is from the bigger H40 motor, triple clamp forks, fox coil shock and bigger battery (18S 18ah 30C lipo)

Because it's a high speed wind motor it doesn't have as much torque down low as I'd like so you have to yank on the bars while gunning it to lift the wheel but the mid range and top end is great. The burst of acceleration between 30 and 60km/hr is great. On those tight trails you can't really use all speed but the acceleration that comes with it is brilliant. I was never full throttle at any part of that vid - even on the wide open fire trails I rarely open it right up

Hey Jay. My son who is in Prep, has these online books to read. Check out this little character in one of the books. Thought you might get a kick out of the pic.
jay.jpg

- Adrian

Not sure how much weight that rear fender can take. Pretty dangerous setup with the dog sitting on fender.

He should convert it to a dd hub on 24s lipo for some fun and fast commuting!

Heh cool. He could almost pass as a cartoon me - if I had alot more sun exposure!

No build thread news unfortunately - I've been too busy getting everyone elses 5404s out to them to play with my own yet. Plus I don't have strong enough drops on any bike for this heavy beast - except my fighter, but it won't take a 26" wheel.
Speaking of the fighter I've been riding it to work for the last week and kinda just got used to it. I got back on my hardtail this morning and even with big crazy bobs at low PSI it felt like I was riding an lump of stone! The braking while adequate felt almost dangerous after being on the fighter and I'd also come to take the power of the H40 for granted - my modded 9C being fed 5kw feeling a bit anaemic in the mid range and top end. The smaller motor meant it was also sucking more amps for less overall performance too so chewed through the battery quicker.

I think I may have to put a H40 on my new commuter bike too :twisted:

haha yeah they'd make for good handlebar grips if using a half twist throttle. Better than my plan to fit Ben hur style metal spikes coming off my axles and bar ends :p
I actually thought about making some sort of handlebar mounted forward facing laser with a grid optic for enhanced obstacle recognition for high speed night riding with minimal other light. Playing with my laser with a rapid sweeping motion it quite clearly shows the shape of things a long way in the distance beyond the headlight range and I thought something like this could be cool for a terminator style view of the road ahead :mrgreen:

Eg. along the lines of this (pardon the pun :p ) - with a high powered laser projecting a large grid or a lesser powered one projecting a smaller grid that swept back and forth. My preference for simplicity would be the higher powered one. Naturally :p

IMVEFeb07LightingFirstsight.jpg

Last winter (or was it the one before?) riding home from work in the dark along an unlit bushy path I nearly hit a ped who was dressed all in black and didn't spot him until the last second. My hyena-vision(tm) would have spotted him well in advance though

ROFL.

The only problem i can see with hyena vision is that you may be able to see but your gonna blind everyone else with your high powered lasers :lol: \

Your gonna have to get a trailer on you bike to pull the power supply along as well

Scruff

Scruffoid said:
The only problem i can see with hyena vision is that you may be able to see but your gonna blind everyone else with your high powered lasers :lol:
Fine, I'll use IR and fit a camera and LCD screen as a visor to my helmet :p

Your gonna have to get a trailer on you bike to pull the power supply along as well
Bah, a DC converter from my main pack voltage will be fine. They don't draw much compared to a big hub motor sucking down a few kw. I'm only trying to illuminate obstacles ahead, not melt them out of my way :lol:

Hyena said:
Bah, a DC converter from my main pack voltage will be fine. They don't draw much compared to a big hub motor sucking down a few kw. I'm only trying to illuminate obstacles ahead, not melt them out of my way :lol:

sorry man, it sounded like a great idea till you said that... :(

Hyena said:
Playing with my laser with a rapid sweeping motion it quite clearly shows the shape of things a long way in the distance beyond the headlight range and I thought something like this could be cool for a terminator style view of the road ahead :mrgreen:

That is an exceptionally good idea!

-JD

oatnet said:
Hyena said:
Playing with my laser with a rapid sweeping motion it quite clearly shows the shape of things a long way in the distance beyond the headlight range and I thought something like this could be cool for a terminator style view of the road ahead :mrgreen:

-JD

But I think maybe we should still put the "melting them out of my way" build to a vote...+1

oatnet said:

-JD
Actually, I just saw the trailer for prometheus and it features a device that does almost exactly what I was suggesting. I'm 50 years ahead of my time :p
http://youtu.be/N0WUpsErUBA?t=1m

Hyena said:
oatnet said:

-JD
Actually, I just saw the trailer for prometheus and it features a device that does almost exactly what I was suggesting. I'm 50 years ahead of my time :p
http://youtu.be/N0WUpsErUBA?t=1m

Ahh... I hadn't heard of the movie, just looked it up, I avoid trailers/spoilers but I watch everything SciFi, so I hope it rocks. :D

I was toying with this idea a bit, for use in a car - using a computer to 3d the wireframe from the laser and put surfaces on it for a HUD, adding IR to identify/highlight people and critters, and advanced obstacle avoidance/braking to replace the radar models used today. An idea with this much potential must already be in development, which is probably where the movie got it from.

-JD

oatnet said:
Ahh... I hadn't heard of the movie, just looked it up, I avoid trailers/spoilers
If you click the link I post it starts at the point I'm talking about, so just watch that 5 seconds and then close it and there'll be no spoilers :p

An idea with this much potential must already be in development
Yeah I would have though so. If someone in the military isn't playing with an invisible IR laser version in conjunction with existing night vision equipment I'm very disappointed in them! As you say with the 3d frame wire view it could generate you'd get a very matrix / futuristic FPS game style view of the world. With shape and movement recognition software then incorporated into it to filter out fixed or defined objects you could have a slick night vision setup where you could see everything close range as per normal night vision but have further away lit up like christmas trees 8)

On an unrelated note, here's my latest vid, footage from a month or so ago before I pulled my gopro into a dozen pieces (still waiting on a replacement lens to see if it'll live to see another day)

[youtube]r-05gcCibpg[/youtube]

I won't be riding the fighter for a bit now, it's currently in pieces to finish off the wiring that I should have done ages ago (but couldn't stop riding it once it was 'good enough' to ride) I might relace the wheel with better spokes too. Behold, the first 30 spoke hub motor :lol:
Though it wobbled to look at it still rode fine a 70km/hr

fighter rim.jpg

Hyena said:
Behold, the first 30 spoke hub motor
You're a brave man riding that bike with just thirty spokes Jay.

I've currently got three broken spokes on my 9c that I got off your group buy a while ago and it's running on 20 series .......
It's starting to freak me out a bit, not sure if the flex I'm feeling is in my mind or the back wheel :shock:

Another great ebike video from you also......

Good man.

thewmatusmoloki said:
You're a brave man riding that bike with just thirty spokes Jay.
Naaaaah, what's the worst that could happen... :lol:
It's gotta get along way out of round before you really run into strife with them. I rode my old 9C with a number of busted spokes too and it was fine.
You mainly notice it at at low speeds where it actually feels quite unstable and off balance. Once you're doing about 15km/hr it just seems to sort itself out. Must be the centrifical action I suppose ??
Obviously I don't recommend doing it though, especially 4 in a row like I had.

I've currently got three broken spokes on my 9c that I got off your group buy a while ago and it's running on 20 series .......
It's starting to freak me out a bit, not sure if the flex I'm feeling is in my mind or the back wheel :shock:
You need more spoke ? I still have a few spares I think.
You do notice dropped spokes more on a hard tail though - with the fat tyres and plush suspension on the fighter I couldn't notice it once rolling. It was only the clatter of the loose spokes flying around that caused me to finally retire it.

Another great ebike video from you also
Thanks!

Back