wich Moped tire and rim = 24"doubletrack and hookwork 2.5 ?

Doctorbass

100 GW
I am looking for a STRONG rim and tire that could be a great equivalent to the one i have now ( same as for the old stealth bomber

24" doubletrack with 39mm wide and strong thick shape combined with the dual ply 24 x 2.5 Maxxis Hookworm ?

Wich could be the best equivalent in the mopped tire and rims ?

I wanna keep the actual 25" outher diameter !

I plan to use 11 or 12 gauge spokes.

Thanks for any help!

Doc

18" Moped/motorcycle rim with 3.5" tires comes out to a little over 25 inches for me. I believe the rims are 1.85 inch. I'm running Sava MC7s.

I know thats an inch wider, but if you go narrower, you won't get the 25" height. anything bigger than 18" rim size is usually a motorcycle, and hard to find skinny tires for them

HondaMB5.jpg

OK.. so a 19" x 1.60 rim with a 19"x2.75 would be perfect?

HArd to find! :? .. on ebay...

Doc

Doctorbass said:
OK.. so a 19" x 1.60 rim with a 19"x2.75 would be perfect?

HArd to find! :? .. on ebay...

Doc
19 X 1.60 is common rim size for trial motorcycles.
Check Morad alloy rims for a good, lightweight rim of this size

The overal diameter of my actual maxxis 24 x 2.5 is 24.75"

To match this with a 19" rim i need 24.75 - 19= 5.75 then 5.75/2= 2.875 wich is equal to a 2.75 inch motorcycle tire wich are usually more like 3.00.

so the target is 2.75-19 or if you preffer MH90-19

Doc

Attachments

• Motorcycle to bicycle Tire conversion.JPG
    Motorcycle to bicycle Tire conversion.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 7,315
I concur that 19" in between 2.5 and 2.75 is your best bet for the height you want. A good enough set of tire choices too.

These Maxxis (CHENGSHIN) or CHENG SHIN seem really interesting!

C-116:

0240000508.jpg

and the C-117:

0240000015.jpg

Doc

Hi,

I'm also looking for the same configuration for a Cromotor.
What do you think about this rim?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Rim-1-85x19-36H-Kaw-KX-Yam-YZ125-250F-Blue-/280715200570?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D270936924333%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8475988034202403584#ht_500wt_1180
Quality? Wide?

Thanks

I was at the Zero motorcycle local dealer today and i was taking a look on the 2012 zero XU model and i noticed that the front wheel was looking really close to what i'm looking for!

It is a 90/90-19 tire really similar to the dunlop D410 (
51_1_b.JPG

and the rim is a 1.85-19

I also took the measurement of the radius where the max width of the tire is compare to the wheel axel and the radius is 11.5", and the total width of the tire at that radius is 3.25"

I have checked on my Giant DH comp swing arm and at 11.5" radius the distance i have is exactly 3.5" wich would work with 1/8" inch play on each sideof the wheel.

But i still wanna find a good cheap rim of 1.60-19 and it is really difficult !

The excel rim are like 150$ !! but they are lightweight...

The Excel rim that match this size of 1.60-19 are made for the front tire of the KTM model 85SX 03-11; 85XC 07-09; 105SX 06-11; 105XC 08-09

Doc

Doctorbass said:
The excel rim are like 150$ !! but they are lightweight...
Doc

Hi,

Just found them at half a price!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIM-MX-DIRT-BIKE-EXCEL-NEW-YZ125-YZ250F-RM125-RMZ250-KX125-KX250F-19X1-85-/260840836604?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cbb534dfc&vxp=mtr#ht_2421wt_908
Sad that shipping to Israel is 100$

Doctorbass said:
24" doubletrack with 39mm wide and strong thick shape combined with the dual ply 24 x 2.5 Maxxis Hookworm ?

Let's look at a whole wheel instead of just the rim for the moment. There might be other interests reading, I think SOMEBODY will want these. Do you know the Honda Supercub, Passport, Trail series, etc. Millions of wheels over some 60 years, the wheels are still knocked off by the Chinese.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-SL350-Front-Wheel-Rim-Hub-19-/400280489083?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d32938c7b&vxp=mtr

$27.74 for the entire time honored design, buy it now price. A favorite of the amatuer builder or all sorts of things. They come in 14" through 21" that I know of. The Honda SL350 here did indeed have a 19" rim. If I was searching eBay for some wheels and a model I wasn't familiar with came up I'd just Google the front TIRE size, it comes right up. Economy shipping for the whole wheel, brake included, is usually under $20. This one is Oregon to SoCal for $13.16.

If someone is selling just the rim, well, often $30-40. Delace this and you should easily get maybe $20 for the hub, brake, spokes. OR, without having seen what you're building I cannot dismiss the possibility of you just using the whole wheel. I have so many of the 16" and 17" for things I have underway, used whole.

Your search terms are:

In EVERY search, "Honda Wheel." Each time you switch letters, CA, CB, CT, SL, ST, XL. If you wanted a 17" wheel you also search for S90.

stedework.jpg

Hi Doc, there is shed loads of choice in the 90/90 19" tyre size;

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres-90-90-19.html

Tench said:
Hi Doc, there is shed loads of choice in the 90/90 19" tyre size;

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/motorcycle-tyres-90-90-19.html

Thanks!

Hi,

I think that 90/90-19 will be too much thick and I don't think that I have enough room in the swingarm (NORCO Aline 2004).
The thinniest tire that I found is this one:
http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-pilot-activ-motorcycle-tire?b=2676835

What do you think? Also don't know which profile size has.

Thanks

Doctorbass said:
I am looking for a STRONG rim and tire that could be a great equivalent to the one i have now ( same as for the old stealth bomber

Thanks for any help!
Doc

Well, here's my 2c. I recently down-sized my wheel size from 26 x 2.35 Big Apples front/rear to 24 x 2.35 Big Apple in the front and a 19" x 2.50 x 50 Deerstone Moped tire on a 1.40 steel moped wheel in the rear. Custom wheel by JRH. Beautiful job.

I choose this size moped wheel/tire cause I had originally decided to go with a bike 24" in the front and wanted to match as closely as possible that size. Measured the frame and couldn't fit more than a 2.50 in width. JRH was very helpful.

Finished diameter is 24". The weight rating on the moped tire is 320 lbs, the rated speed is 120 km an hour. Here are two side by side photos:
Two wheels 1.jpg
and looking at them together from the front they're very close.
Two wheels 3.jpg
spokes.jpg

19" tires in these thinner sizes-less than 2.75 x 60-are harder to hunt down, but I have also seen 2.25s out there as has been noted earlier.

I don't have a scale right now but look forward to posting the weight as well as ride impressions when I am able. The difference in the carcasses between the BA and the Deerstone is night and day as has been reported here already. You can feel it with your thumbnail. Heavy? Hell ya! But hopefully now when I hit a Vermont pothole with my HS3540 at 35 mph with the weeks grocerys on the back, it'll survive with a smile :)

Kent said:
Doctorbass said:

Thanks for any help!
Doc

Well, here's my 2c. I recently down-sized my wheel size from 26 x 2.35 Big Apples front/rear to 24 x 2.35 Big Apple in the front and a 19" x 2.50 x 50 Deerstone Moped tire on a 1.40 steel moped wheel in the rear. Custom wheel by JRH. Beautiful job.

I choose this size moped wheel/tire cause I had originally decided to go with a bike 24" in the front and wanted to match as closely as possible that size. Measured the frame and couldn't fit more than a 2.50 in width. JRH was very helpful.

Finished diameter is 24". The weight rating on the moped tire is 320 lbs, the rated speed is 120 km an hour. Here are two side by side photos:
View attachment 3
and looking at them together from the front they're very close.
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

19" tires in these thinner sizes-less than 2.75 x 60-are harder to hunt down, but I have also seen 2.25s out there as has been noted earlier.

I don't have a scale right now but look forward to posting the weight as well as ride impressions when I am able. The difference in the carcasses between the BA and the Deerstone is night and day as has been reported here already. You can feel it with your thumbnail. Heavy? Hell ya! But hopefully now when I hit a Vermont pothole with my HS3540 at 35 mph with the weeks grocerys on the back, it'll survive with a smile :)

Well, this old bachelor broke down and bought a bathroom scale. You know, you don't really need one. If you wear the same belt everyday, and you have your favorite pants which won't shrink anymore, you can tell if you've changed weight.

Anyway, heres the goods. For comparison, I also weighted a 9c clone with original 26" Chinese wheel/spokes and a Big Apple
wheels together.jpg

So the 26" 9c weighed 19 lb. The 24" 2.50 with steel wheel weighed 28 lb. So though I may have lost a bit of weight by going down to 24", I certainly gained by going with the heavier steel wheel and moped tire.

I won't be able to test ride until spring although when moving the bike around, the rear is noticeably heavier. But hey, a small price to pay at this point.

9 lbs? I can lose that! :) :)

Drunkskunk said:
Digging around, I did find another source of 19" moped tires. Treatland.tv. Not a lot available, but they did have a nice 19" schwable tire
https://www.treatland.tv/schwable-tire-19-x-2-25-p/moped-tire-19-225-schwable.htm

moped-tire-19-225-schwable-2T.jpg

Well, I just got one from them. For those who missed my thread about "going legal", http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49390

Although I was allowed to pass my inspection this time with a non-DOT approved tire, I decided to go ahead and make the plunge with a new 19" X 1.30 aluminum wheel with a 20mm DMR through hub built by JRH and this tire:
View attachment 3

When I had the 24" x 2.35 next to this one, I was appalled that I had waited so long and shuttered at the thought of hitting a pothole at 40mph. Gosh the Big Apple is thin!
Tires side by.jpg
Tires grooves.jpg

And here it is mounted:
Tire mounted.jpg

For those considering going up to a moped wheel/tire, I found that while this 19" moped was a close match to a regular 24" bike size, there are very few street tires offered in this wheel size. I may order another one to have a spare. But with this light a load on it, it should last a very long time indeed.

Dry rot? Weather checking? :)

Back