Specialized Big Hit FSR

rodgah

10 kW
This frame was made by a certain forum member....most people know who he is.

Specs:
2005 Big Hit FSR Cut and changed
2011 Rockshox Totem Solo Air
Fox Vanilla RC Shock
Hayes Stroker Trail
FSA Gravity Cranks
Blackspire Downhill 32t Chainring
MRP mini G2 Chain Guide
Wellgo Bear Trap Pedals
24" Fireeye Rims
3.0" Halo Contra tyres
Carbon fiber quick release battery cover

HT3525
12 gauge spokes
12fet with 3 speed switch
CA-DP
Magura throttle
24S 10AH Lipo
4 x 6mm torque arms

Frame
Where it started
fsr.jpg

c9657bfd.jpg

3433715d.jpg

588edf2e.jpg

236b22ac.jpg

82e0cd94.jpg

92e0722f.jpg

573a7b17.jpg

a2143847.jpg

Things left to do on the frame:
Done

Electrics

Seal removed and zip tie
022bacd0.jpg

First attempt at lacing a rim....what a bitch :shock: with 12Gauge spokes
abe4c8c5.jpg

Torque arm (has been changed to fit a bit better). Will be laser cut from 6mm Stainless steel.....4 of them, 2 on each side. M9 Bolt holding it to the frame.
cb6d0dd3.jpg

Torque arms done.
e1695201.jpg

Decided to put a M8 bolt right thru and a nyloc nut on the other side.....plenty of room even with the disc on :mrgreen:
21babef9.jpg

Things left to do on the electrics:
-Redo pack for more protection

Cheers

Looking forward to seeing this up n running :)

What sort of amps are you planning on running through it?

Geez that garage looks familiar lol

Paul :D

Great work :D can't wait to see progress on this one.

See you are going with 24s10ah, looks like the enclosure could hold much a heap more. Would another 10ah fit in there?

Very nice work, but also a really clever means to leverage an existing alloy frame as major components to simplify a custom frame build.

Can you relate how you aligned the original sectioned frame components (head tube, BB, etc ) to the battery box? Did you tack up a jig based on the original frame, section the frame, then assemble in the batt box using the jig for alignment, or was it done by measurement, etc? Any alignment issues or gotchas in the technique you used?

update....posted pics of the torque arms and wheel mounted :mrgreen:

Timma2500 said:
What sort of amps are you planning on running through it?
um 50? so 5000w.....but i have a 3 speed switch so i guess i will likely use the 2nd speed for most riding

Justtoby said:
you got skilz
cough paul....got skilz

briangv99 said:
Would another 10ah fit in there?
I want to use the long 6s packs, so no, but I think another 5AH would....will re-evaluate once I work out how much range it has with ~1000wh

teklektik said:
Can you relate how you aligned the original sectioned frame components
I think it was all done by eye/measurement, No idea mate sorry, frame looks straight whichever method was used.

cheers

rodgah said:
teklektik wrote:Can you relate how you aligned the original sectioned frame components
Yeah just as Roger said, just by eye and measuring. Basically i cut out all the flat sheet parts, bend where needed, tack weld it together as per pics, check alignment then weld the box up. Next is cutting the original frame to suit the box shape, tack weld it to the box, check alignment and start welding it up while re-checking alignment as i go. If it moves slightly, i'll weld it accordingly to help pull it in the direction i need. No real gotcha's in the technique used, just keeping the seat tube/BB and head tube straight can be tricky. My 1st bike (the Norco) was out of alignment but it wasn't noticable while riding.

rodgah said:
Justtoby wrote:you got skilzcough paul....got skilz
Cough, cheers Toby.

rodgah said:
um 50? so 5000w.....but i have a 3 speed switch so i guess i will likely use the 2nd speed for most riding
Sweet, you going to drill the side covers?

rodgah said:
update....posted pics of the torque arms and wheel mounted
The torque arms turned out nicely, that thing won't be twisting at all :)

Frock man approves of this build ... Oh Yeah!

frockman_smaller.jpg

Seriously, well done guys. :D

I can only assume that AJ has **unsubscribed** from this build :wink: :lol:

Simon

hi love your frame i haver a big hit i am working on and i see your Torque arms i am looking for a set for my big hit where did you get them or did you do them your self .how much would you charge to do a set for us you should do some and sell them for other big hit users :mrgreen:

Awesome craftsmanship. I really wish I had access to a tig welder when I see these kinds of builds. Why'd you extend the headtube?

WOW :shock:

That is how an electric bike should look IMHO.

Just gorgeous.

Can't wait to see her finished.

EDIT: Just noticed your in Townsville. I have fond memories of the place and Maggie Island, came through their twice on my travels.

Kudos

Superb looking bike. Great work.

Noticed you have a small chain ring fitted so high speed pedal assist is out as it stands. Have you considered fitting a schlumpf to this bike so that you could pedal at higher speeds?

Looks great mate, are you happy with the head angle? Looks close to the mark. I think i might try to find a pair of those forks, they're a bit stealthier than the 888 Bombers...

Kepler said:
Noticed you have a small chain ring fitted so high speed pedal assist is out as it stands.
Bugger, sorry Rodger, thats my fault. I haven't allowed you enough room where the box tapers out :(

kudos said:

cheers, actually I live on the sunshine coast now....might have to change that

Kepler said:
small chain ring

Im not really into pedaling if im 100% honest, but my idea of gearing it this way is for just a slow cruise speed ~25km/h....I should be able to cruise all day with a bit of pedal assistance, and not impossible to pedal without assistance. The cluster confuses the matter, I actually intended on running a single speed freewheel but the chain line was horrible so the cluster solved it and you can see the fixed position derailleur.

Timma2500 said:
happy with the head angle?

definitely looks right, doesnt feel wrong though I doubt I would know, thing feels like a dirtbike with pedals with the 3" tyres, stuff the missus its mine hahahaha. Definitely a sweet pair of forks, so plush, makes peddling hard a bit ridiculous though.

Timma2500 said:
thats my fault
doesnt matter, the only times I would try to pedal would be up a steep hill or cruising along slowly(along the esplanade :wink: ) if I was more serious I could put a proper derailleur on it.

Wow :shock:
That's a great looking bike man. Do you plan on keeping it the same color as the original frame? Could you post some pics of the batteries inside the frame?
You and Timma should start some sort of business up. It would be killer to have people send in there bike frames and you just tack a box into it.

Trackman417 said:
Wow :shock:
That's a great looking bike man. Do you plan on keeping it the same color as the original frame? Could you post some pics of the batteries inside the frame?
You and Timma should start some sort of business up. It would be killer to have people send in there bike frames and you just tack a box into it.

Agreed and seconded.

I'm sure you'd have a queue of buyers for these.

Kudos

Amazing! I always love seeing examples like this of highly functional engineering combined with artistic beauty.

Back