has anyone implemented reverse switch on an ebike?

monster

100 kW

the crystalyte controller i got recently has a connection for a reverse switch. might be cool to go backwards on a bike?

Please post mpegs of someone going backwards on a 72V bike.

the reverse switch i saw seemed to be somewhat slower than in the forward direction.

kbarrett said:
Please post mpegs of someone going backwards on a 72V bike.

I could plug in my BD36 backwards. It's only 48V, though :p.

monster said:
the reverse switch i saw seemed to be somewhat slower than in the forward direction.

The C'lyte ones are limited in the reverse direction for obvious legal reasons.

I've been trying to think of any likely situation on an ebike where a power reverse would be of any value that would outweigh it's liabilities.

I can't even see the value of a reverse even on a small to medium sized motorcycle, .... although on a big heavy Harley, BMW, Goldwing etc, Yeah
(Just a little bit of useless trivia... The Honda Goldwing Aspencade model was named after a local festival in my town that was kind of 'swiped' for a big bikers rally.)

And on an E-Trike or quadracycle, I can see it. But on a two wheeler??? Even my 100+ pound 2WD, I can pick it up and turn it around if I need to.
I could only see getting myself in trouble with a reverse.

monster said:

the crystalyte controller i got recently has a connection for a reverse switch. might be cool to go backwards on a bike?

I initially put reverse on my e-trike. But when engaged, the pedals rotated backwards too, and was more inconvenient than just "Fred Flintstoning' it. I took reverse off.

dick

I can't see any reason on a bike I'd ever want reverse periodically. If I needed the motor to run in reverse in the first place, I'd just switch the phases. With the reverse key switch on the clyte v1 controllers having no indicator whether it is in forward or reverse, many folks just disconnect it.

A better use is to simply put that key switch in series with the power button for a useful way to lock the "e" of the ebike. I always felt that inline key switches are too easy to bypass.

Most of my controllers have a reverse key feature built in .. handy if you use the controller on a front motor converted to rear or X controller with Y motor combinations..

Heavy trikes could make use of it as well..

And.. at oen point i accidentally mounted the motor the wront way.. much easier to just flip the switch than cut the zip ties and re-mount the wheel !! :lol:

Forward or reverse...same speed.. same no-load current. ( On older style V1 controllers.. don't know bout the V2. )

The only reason the reverse feature was made, as far as I can see, was to give you the option of flipping the whole wheel (of the front motor only) so that the wired side of the axle can be on right hand side. Obviously this cannot be done with a rear motor. I doubt the reverse was made to allow riding your ebike backards . . . :lol:

It says it has to have pedals to be an electric assist bike.

No where in the US regs does it say they have to actually work ...

Kbarrett said:

No where in the US regs does it say they have to actually work ...

No big deal Kb, but Oregon regs (ORS 801.258) actually states:

Has both fully operative pedals for human propulsion and ...

So if you get one of Safe's old bikes and ride it accross the bridge... :D

Edit: Oh yeah, on topic, I think the main purpose for the reverse option is for use on trikes and quads.

lazarus2405 said:
I was surprised to find... there is no reverse on the v2 controllers. :shock:

...Not that I'll miss it.

i use the "reverse" occasionally on a heavy delta style trike. helps when i am backing up somewhere with a heavy load. the trike has a C'lyte 408/4012 on the front.

to get reverse on the V2 controller you just need to locate a pad on the board labeled DSP and short it to ground.

rick

Ypedal said:
Heh.. next time the boys are over having a few drinks.. i'm getting the X5 powered BMX out .. flipping the reverse switch and handing it over to the closest friend... with instructions to

" Lean forward.. and just FLOOR IT !! "

:D yeah.. i'm like that ! :wink:

funny-pictures-cat-bubble-bath-trust.jpg

make sure he has a helmet!

reverse is useful when your waiting at lights and a driver cuts the corner at speed. hit reverse to get out the way. also it might be cool for showing off -do something that other cyclists can't. might be good for three point turns in confined space with heavy cargo.

Be sure to say "Hold my beer", and "Y'all watch this!" just before you start.

Back