Choice of bike frame - dilemma solved

Tiberius

10 kW
Hi All,

I have been thinking for a while about what type of bike to electrify. You may have seen some postings to this effect. Toshi was considering converting a road racer, but I think he has changed his mind. The argument was that on one hand a road racer is the best for weight, aero drag, etc, but on the other hand most people here recommend a full suspension MTB.

Anyway, there was a simple answer in the end. This is as much an experiment as an intent to hit the spot first go; I may well end up doing another. I already have one ebike, eZee Torq, so the solution was obvious: If it is research, then at this stage choose the option that is most different from what I have already. So I got this off ebay:

1af0_1.JPG

The rear wheel is 26" with a 6 speed freewheel and 140 mm spacing. Looks like ideal for a Crystalyte. So compared to the Torq it will be
Rear motor instead of front,
Folder instead of fixed
Front 3 speed deraillieur instead of 1 speed
Full suspension instead of none
Able to climb steep hills

Nick

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
try squinting.
It's a magic eye thing.

I can do the magic eye thing, and I STILL don't see me. The wheels look pretty funky when you try, though.

Link said:
try squinting.
It's a magic eye thing.

I can do the magic eye thing, and I STILL don't see me. The wheels look pretty funky when you try, though.

Attachments

• male_optical_illusion.jpg
    male_optical_illusion.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,175
:lol:
what boat?
I only see link.

Tidalforce is the reverse.
Battery in front, motor in the back.
Most don't like a hub bat cuz of the myth (don't know what else to call it) of unsprung weight, but strangely don't have the same reservation when it's a motor.
It's not that big a deal since the rider is the largest concentration of mass.
I'm partial to a hub battery as there's not a lot of payload space available on a bike I'm not willing to turn my back on a half kWh of free space.
I need my rack to be free to haul stuf, otherwise an ebike would be of limited use to me.
The thing I'd like to see on bikes with a large beam like this one is to expand that top tube even a little more to serve as tub for in-frame battery storage like the Optibike giving you complete stealth.

:lol:
what boat?
I only see link.

Mmm, I could see me being in that pic, too 8).

Most don't like a hub bat cuz of the myth (don't know what else to call it) of unsprung weight, but strangely don't have the same reservation when it's a motor.

Myth? Geh? I've noticed a significant difference is how hard bumps push back against my hands after I installed the BD36 hub. Has a lot more kick than it did before. I couldn't even imagine putting something super heavy like a Golden Motor or an X5 on the front.

Back