Which bicycle can comfortably and confidently handle 35mph?

Alloy forks. Double torque arms from grin, c washers, and the E-BikeKit inner washers. Fork dropouts deepened and slightly widened, abnd the axle shoulders shaved to fit the width perfect including the inner washers. Quite a fussy and exact fitting process. Noththing can be fudged with alloy forks.

Runs 1200w, 48v 20 ah. I have run more in tests, 72v 20 amps. After thousands of miles, I'm not sweating the forks any.

SamTexas said:
Thanks all for your input. I finally settle with a KHS Solo One frame. I will use a steel SR Suntour suspension fork with it. Let's hope it works.
Excellent choice. I had the derailleur version of that frame for a few years and it was both comfortable and bulletproof. (KHS Softail). I used it for longer MTB races where micro trauma to the butt was a problem. The hot set-up was to put a rubber boot around the shock/dampener to extend its life.

I look forward to seeing some pics when you get her done :D

sn0wchyld said:
Id happily recommend my norko, though the frame is a bit of a pita to mount batts on. ive had it at tops over 60km/h so far and it felt great. Basically any decent DH/FR bike would do fine, go fore one with a decent head angle - thats what makes em so stable at speed (though riding at <~10 takes a bit of getting used too, really 'wobbly' at first)

What head angle would you be looking at at that speed?

Quajochem said:
sn0wchyld said:
Id happily recommend my norko, though the frame is a bit of a pita to mount batts on. ive had it at tops over 60km/h so far and it felt great. Basically any decent DH/FR bike would do fine, go fore one with a decent head angle - thats what makes em so stable at speed (though riding at <~10 takes a bit of getting used too, really 'wobbly' at first)

What head angle would you be looking at at that speed?
i think its 64, but not totally sure... ive had it over 70 now, no probs, steady as a rock.

Hangdog98 said:
SamTexas said:
Thanks all for your input. I finally settle with a KHS Solo One frame. I will use a steel SR Suntour suspension fork with it. Let's hope it works.
Excellent choice. I had the derailleur version of that frame for a few years and it was both comfortable and bulletproof. (KHS Softail). I used it for longer MTB races where micro trauma to the butt was a problem. The hot set-up was to put a rubber boot around the shock/dampener to extend its life.

I look forward to seeing some pics when you get her done :D

That's good to know. Thanks.

miuan said:
Any quality freeride or DH bike. Most modern DH bikes are nicely slack and super stable at speed. My Kona Ute is stable too at these speeds, but I have a RS Recon fork and Big Apple tyres.
yur talking my same interest." first of all...the bearings/front & rear, have to be heavy duty/heat bearing/not let available for bicycles that can handle 20 to 35 mph. very unsafe in that respect, (as they will explode after long runs, so immagine what will happen if ur the rider." second of all, at 15 mph its very hard to stop....try 25,..i did-just to see...u do not stop, just slide forward, destroying the tires, generally goofing the brakes up & balancing. :roll:

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
i'm sure it's not what you're after but the montague paratrooper definitely meets this thread's titled criteria for anyone searching later on.
proven to confidently handle 40+ mph

kaysellters said:
I have pedalled it up to 44mph, but have not wanted to go any faster -- it is after all a bike, not a motorcycle.

Electric Rider sells the Montague bike for 799, and they also offer complete e bikes with that.... http://electricrider.com/bikes.htm

Never have seen or rode one though.

And I have to agree with all the naysayers on other aluminum frame bikes... My A2B Metro rear swing arm failed at the al welds after just 4000 miles, and that's only a 20 mph bike. UltraMotor didn't even blink when I called them about it; just replaced with another fine Chinese welded product.

I just want to remind everyone that a hardtail can be more than sufficient for 35mph. Just depends on your tire volume, front fork quality, the quality of your streets, and the age of your butt. All I'm worried about on a bike is penile pressure. I need to get a special sadlle for that. IMHO a hardtail is quite possibly going to always handle better onroad than any full suspension bike. My next full suspension bike will be a motorcycle.

I might add that my frame is a surly karate monkey with 4130 tubing and general beefiness.

hillzofvalp said:
All I'm worried about on a bike is penile pressure. I need to get a special saddle for that.
I'm not worried about that anymore. I'm actually thinking of retiring mine now that it has been made redundant through marriage. Involuntary celibacy is a bummer. :(

ambroseliao said:
I know that a Tidalforce S-750 frame with a good suspension front fork can easily handle 35 mph and can also easily handle 40 mph. I have an older Manitou Trance 150mm front fork that does a good job. It is oversized and has disc brake mounts. The frame is solidly built and the geometry is very comfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgF2OyzvIdM

Starting at 30 seconds to 1:30 I'm going over 40 mph. The rest of the video, my top speed is over 35mph.

Ambrose
u must have a death wish............? heavy duty bearings/2.225 tires/helmit & all body armour??

dickselectrictoys said:
u must have a death wish............? heavy duty bearings/2.225 tires/helmit & all body armour??
u must be new to this board. Ambrose is just one of the "medium speed" guy. To most guys on this board anything below 30mph is slow.

dickselectrictoys said:
... second of all, at 15 mph its very hard to stop....try 25,..i did-just to see...u do not stop, just slide forward, destroying the tires, generally goofing the brakes up & balancing. :roll:
That's hilarious. You could do us a big favor by posting pictures of your "bicycle". I'm sure I'm not the only interested in seeing it.

hillzofvalp said:
I just want to remind everyone that a hardtail can be more than sufficient for 35mph. Just depends on your tire volume, front fork quality, the quality of your streets, and the age of your butt. All I'm worried about on a bike is penile pressure. I need to get a special sadlle for that. IMHO a hardtail is quite possibly going to always handle better onroad than any full suspension bike. My next full suspension bike will be a motorcycle.

I might add that my frame is a surly karate monkey with 4130 tubing and general beefiness.

I think this really depends on the roads. At 35 mph a hardtail hitting a deep pothole may become quite uncontrollable, even broken. On some road surfaces a hardtail is perfect, on others unusable. It appears to me that you haven't experienced a good suspension bicycle.

dickselectrictoys said:
first of all...the bearings/front & rear, have to be heavy duty/heat bearing/not let available for bicycles that can handle 20 to 35 mph. very unsafe in that respect, (as they will explode after long runs, so immagine what will happen if ur the rider."

And here I am all worried about LiPo, when it was those darn exploding bearings I should have been focusing on. :lol:

Seriously dude, you need to get out and explore this website a little. Since 2007 I've run tens of thousands of miles on ebikes at 35 mph plus, not a single bad bearing yet, let alone the explodey kind. There are hundreds if not thousands of folks here with similar experience.

Of course, I wouldn't try it on a Prodeco like the ones you are selling - the quality on those bikes is terrible, they are basically just short-lived toys, so I would expect problems like that on a phantom x2 x, storm, genesis 500, stride, etc.

dickselectrictoys said:
second of all, at 15 mph its very hard to stop....try 25,..i did-just to see...u do not stop, just slide forward, destroying the tires, generally goofing the brakes up & balancing. :roll:

That has nothing to do with ebikes, but everything to do with Prodeco's poor build quality. I wonder if the problems you are seeing with braking is the reason Prodeco bikes are so underpowered - they aren't fast enough to reach normal ebike speeds, and they can't climb hills tall enough to cause a fast descent, so the brakes aren't stressed. :oops: I can't think of any other reason they would put such a weak motor and short-range battery on it Instead of the 50% higher 750w Federal limit. I am still confused as to why it weighs a whopping 60lbs despite the tiny motor/pack, it should be 3,000w-5,000w with that bulk.

Spend an hour or two building a real ebike, and your perceptions will change.

Exploding bearings, huh? Last time i checked, everyone riding a >50mph eBike on here has never ever reported that problem.
50mph on a even a 20" bicycle wheel won't even crack 1000rpm.

Anyway, i have something to contribute to this thread other than talking a little smack :mrgreen:

wheeldifference.jpg

This bike had no suspension, a 203mm front disc brake, aluminum frame, steel fork, and 2.75" wide/tall moped/motorcycle tire out back.

The front disc had a lot of stopping power, and the regen on such a slow winding hub in a small wheel was so intense at only 10 amps in that you had to clench your butt around the seat to stay on the damn bike when you engaged it :lol:

I felt super confident riding it even on our poorly maintained streets, doing 40-42mph. I rode with traffic like a motorcycle on that bike.

I can't say the same for my 26" and 700c wheeled bikes using bike tires.

The super fat rear tire and brakes capable of stopping it so rapidly just made so much of a difference. It was almost like a rear suspension in itself - 4lbs of rubber will kinda do that... :)

It forever changed my ideas of what an electric bicycle should be.

Hi, can you tell me please what motor/controller/battery combo you are using on your bike to cruise at 35mph?

35 mph? No Problem, this commuter ebike soaks it up:

DSC_5485.JPG

Greyborg Warp frame
17" Moped rims and 2.5-3" Gazelle tires
Cromotor
18S Lipo 70 volts 20 amp hours
12 FET Lyen controller (24 FET is being repaired, this is the backup)
Dual 160mm 4 pot front Gatorbrakes
DNM Volcano front forks
Yasusu rear shock
Cloud9 seat
Mirrycle side view mirror
Rear brake coming soon (regen works too)

Alan B said:
I think this really depends on the roads. At 35 mph a hardtail hitting a deep pothole may become quite uncontrollable, even broken. On some road surfaces a hardtail is perfect, on others unusable. It appears to me that you haven't experienced a good suspension bicycle.

It really depends on the roads. long distance rides with unfamiliar roads, probably full suspension. I've rolled over pot holes with ease with just front suspension and 2.35" x29" tires. Today I went to the worst road in my city to test and tune and my fork.. it was at 25mph and controllable, but pushing it. If I was going 35-40 and I hit this I'm not sure what would happen but I have been told that large wheels offer smoother ride at high speeds.

My bike probably has a longer wheel base than most mountainbikes from being a XL frame sized for 29" wheels. This may make my hardtail in a different class

hillzofvalp said:
Alan B said:

It really depends on the roads. long distance rides with unfamiliar roads, probably full suspension. I've rolled over pot holes with ease with just front suspension and 2.35" x29" tires. Today I went to the worst road in my city to test and tune and my fork.. it was at 25mph and controllable, but pushing it. If I was going 35-40 and I hit this I'm not sure what would happen but I have been told that large wheels offer smoother ride at high speeds.

My bike probably has a longer wheel base than most mountainbikes from being a XL frame sized for 29" wheels. This may make my hardtail in a different class

Try at least 50 miles of rough roads, pavement cracks, seams and ridges, wet and muddy pavement, gravel, potholes, road debris, glass and sticks at 35mph, and then report back.

Back