Farfle joins the MENS club

I sent this DXF to a few lam shops, and laser laminations in AR, can do it for 369 dollars, and may give me a small sponsorship, we will see.

Great! That sounds pretty reasonable. That's just the laser cutting?

If you need any advice on Alibre, feel free to ask - I've been using it for years.
Another possibility: http://www.deelip.com/?p=6517
SketchUp isn't really the right tool.....

What magnets did you use for your simulation?

Yeah, I like alibre alot, but all I have tried is the 2d modelling. I used n37 magnets out of the materials library on that sim

Miles said:
Farfle said:
Yeah, I like alibre alot, but all I have tried is the 2d modelling.
Actually, the 2D modelling in Alibre isn't that great.... It's getting some attention at the moment, though.

The other software that I use for 3d is sketchup, and for serious stuff, I have a copy of inventor that im somewhat good at. Inventor is VERY tedious tho.

heres some pics of the outside of the motor, and the stator support. Weight so far is 8 pounds:

2012-07-17180308.jpg

2012-07-17180322.jpg

2012-07-17180331.jpg

Found a little wheel speed /sprocket tooth count calculator online, at 3000 rpm it looks like looks like ill need about a 2.5:1 to 3:1 reduction for 60mph and quick acceleration at 20kw. So, whats the deal with tooth count, I don't really have a good feel for how much can handle how much. So if im running #35, would 20-60 be overkill? or can I get away with 16-48? I have used # 35 in FRC robotics, and have never broken one, but it does seem fairly small, and chews thru smaller alum sprockets quickly, so maybe a steel driving sprocket and a aluminum driven?

Going to wait for the final RPM of the motor before I order, but im pretty set on #40, it's poetry stout, so it should stand up to the hopefully 20+ hp this motor will put out.

AWESOME! laser laminations just sponsored me, the lams are shipping out today. The revised design cut from .35mm m15 silicon steel! Woo!

Heres a pic of the complete "can" . Its got less than a thousandth of wobble, so no vibrations spinning at 3000 rpm.

2012-07-19171933.jpg

2012-07-19172027.jpg

2012-07-19172059.jpg

Bearings are machined into the sidecovers, and the new axle is pressed into the the sator center.

2012-07-21214825.jpg

2012-07-21214838.jpg

2012-07-21214928.jpg

That is an outrunner I am most jealous of!!

Those laminations sound slick. You won't be running into much eddy or hysteresis losses, so the motor should stay pretty cool even at 3krpm.

johnrobholmes said:
That is an outrunner I am most jealous of!!

Those laminations sound slick. You won't be running into much eddy or hysteresis losses, so the motor should stay pretty cool even at 3krpm.

Thanks man, Im going to be lathing a hub, and ordering a few sets of spokes, so keep an ear to the ground on your end.

yeah, Its called turning. Anywho, heres a mock up pic of the motor :D .

2012-07-24150758.jpg

nice work!!! is that a dirt bike fork? if so, where did you get the headtube to make a good fit?

fractal said:
nice work!!! is that a dirt bike fork? if so, where did you get the headtube to make a good fit?

nope, its a Manitou Dorado, you can find them pretty cheap in need of a rebuild, which isn't real hard.

nicobie said:
Looking good!

Nice vise too.

Its my favorite one :D

Hey Farfle, I'm really interested in your rear swingarm linkage. How did you make it ? Are they all custom made pieces? Did you use a special BB? Bearings, ...etc? Having the swingarm link on the BB seems like a good and simple idea.

Right on! You're one of the very few folks on ES who has had custom lams made. I'm pumped to see it all come together!

The lams are .014" m19 C5 electrical steel, Im hoping it should keep eddy losses pretty low.

Back