Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Short lived shenanigans with a speaker across 2 phase wires

[youtube]MT5Ew-5ykXM[/youtube]

The speaker promptly blew as the power from the motor was way too much but the proof of concept works if I could be bothered making up a basic circuit to hold the power back

Hyena said:

The speaker promptly blew as the power from the motor was way too much but the proof of concept works if I could be bothered making up a basic circuit to hold the power back

:lol: :lol: :lol:

it was probably designed to run on ~12v or so, so adding a resistor in series should do it. Sounds kinda neat. I'll be doing the same to mine next week once exams are done!
makes me wonder what having 2 or 3 speakers would sound like (on seperate phases).

Hyena said:

Blew the speaker.. LOL... That's acutally quite funny! :mrgreen:
What kind or speaker was it and how many watts was it rated for?

I used to install car audio systems over 20 years ago and when we got bored around the shop we used to tap the leads of old car speakers across 12v car batteries to see how long the speaker cones would excurt and threw in a quarter and watch how high up it would launch until we fried the speaker coil.

sn0wchyld said:
it was probably designed to run on ~12v or so
Not even that, and certainly not at anywhere near this wattage.
Check out this post in the other thread where we were talking about this
Prodigit makes some good points about what is needed.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18209&start=45#p584436

I did notice it adds some resistancey/slight shudder sort of a feel and I wonder if it wouldn't be detrimenal to the controller if used long term. You'd certainly want a switch on it.

Sacman said:
Blew the speaker.. LOL... That's acutally quite funny! :mrgreen:
What kind or speaker was it and how many watts was it rated for?
Yep this is the second time I've blown voice coils testing this :lol:
Wait... that didn't come out right at all :shock: :p
The speaker was probably only rated at 10w - it's a little 4" from a budget stereo I pulled off a junk pile.

I think with the appropriate resistors and caps so it didn't instantly blow this would be good with a small 4" siren type horn and wouldn't be stupidly excessive on the handlebars.
Excessive, yes, but not quite stupidly excessive... :lol:

Hyena said:
Wait... that didn't come out right at all :shock: :p
The speaker was probably only rated at 10w - it's a little 4" from a budget stereo I pulled off a junk pile.

I think with the appropriate resistors and caps so it didn't instantly blow this would be good with a small 4" siren type horn and wouldn't be stupidly excessive on the handlebars.
Excessive, yes, but not quite stupidly excessive... :lol:
:lol:

hey what happened with those 8a cell level chargers you were talking about? you said you posted a sale link but I couldnt find it to save my life... :|

Hah, tricked you all - they don't really exist and it was all an elaborate photoshop :p

Nah I just haven't gotten around to taking pics yet to properly post up and I'm waiting for a few more to arrive to.
I'll go post up a pre-sale thread with pics to follow

Must be that manly beard :lol:

Here's the link to the balance charger for sale thread

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41107

Fire up your paypal account kiddies before Luke cleans me out :lol:

You blew a speaker?
When you get it working you should name it Peter Slipper in honour of the current state of Australian Politics....

Well, happy 4th of July.
Not that we usually celebrate it here in Australia but it marks the 1 year anniversary of the day I fell in a heap and was handed the diagnosis of the big C. 12 months on and I'm still kicking :twisted: though I'm currently dying of man-flu which I could do without (courtesy of a crappy immune system that still sees me picking up every bug that's doing the rounds)
The clock is still ticking so it's time to get on with my growing bucket list of ebike builds to finish before I die :p

Massive congrats, on the still being here, NOT the independence day thang. Now get back to work. We need more e-bikes MORE,MORE,MORE...I've "heard" codeine and pseudoephedrine are awesome for manflu.

ibprofen cold and flu. its a goddam wonder drug.

and grats on your 1st bday mate! now lets go for 30+ more! :twisted:

No updates for a while, I've been fairly crook and haven't been out and about much.
The weather is looking nice for this Sundays ebike group ride in Sydney so I'm looking forward to that. I've borrowed my father inlaws gopro (he bought one after seeing my footage) so I can record proper video on the day. I think atleast one other guy will have a gopro too so it'll be good to combine footage for 2 different view points.

In other news, my new winter riding attire is now complete after my latest purchases arrived earlier this week.
I was wearing snowboard pants which were warm and waterproof but not very protective in the event of a stack. I also felt a bit unprotected in just a normal jacket in this cold weather (unable to wear my armour) so picked up some new kevlar duds and armored cordura jacket.

The pants are pretty sweet, they're jeans with stretchy knees and crotch meant for comfortable motorbike riding but perfect for ebike riding with the flexible knees. They're not armoured as such but the kevlar content is reassuring in the event I find myself sliding across the road.
The jacket was a bit of a bargain, $80 including deliver from the UK and has armour all through it, a zip out warm liner and offers a little more freedom to move in while also looking less batman, so that's good.

41Xva0LLGbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
2009_Icon_Victory_Riding_Pants.jpg

In other, other news, I posted about the AR Drone quad copters aaaaages ago I've been wanting one ever since but at $400 odd I just couldnt justify it as a toy. I wanted it largely for the video recording capabilities and planned to strap a gopro to it for ultimate ebike vids. I noticed they've recently released a new model that comes with a much better internal camera that now records in HD. oooooft!
I got all excited when I googled prices and saw they're now around $200 but that's for the old model, it seems the new ones are $350+
So that's still a bit steep for a toy but the old model is on sale in a local store for $175 which the missus said she'll buy for my upcoming bday :)
Decisions decisions, do I buy the old model and hack it with the gopro or shell out the extra for the new model with better camera that needs no add ons and will get longer flying time as a result ? I dont doubt the image quality is better with the gopro but it looks like the onboard camera will be pretty good, and records direct to an onboard usb drive as well as streaming back to your ipod/pad. Part of me says damn the expense and get the new one, or do I make my own quad copter ? I could make it bigger/stronger/better battery life/camera etc but then I'd lose the user friendlyness of the drone, along with the streaming video (which I'd need to pilot it properly atleast to guide where the gopro is looking) I've heard of people lifting several kilos with them though so that could be pretty cool, and with a multichannel transmitter I load it up with spot lights and god knows what else to make it a very cool toy. Another drawcard for the drone though is the apps, it has a game where you wear a bright coloured hat or something and it follows you. If I could put a marker on my helmet and make it chase me on my ebike through trails that'd be AWESOME.
What a dillema. 1st world problems... :lol:

Hyena said:
If I could put a marker on my helmet and make it chase me on my ebike through trails that'd be AWESOME.

I've always wanted to get some aerial shots and have contemplated shooting something from my ultralight. Of course a follow me UAV like the new AR Drone would be amazing...if it follows at 70 kph which I doubt. Even lower speeds would be great. I just wonder how good it is. GoPro quality would be very nice. But if the follow-me works, then that would be very tempting.

Nice gear and looks lightweight! I do prefer impact padding and d30 is fantastic stuff. Of course it is a bit bulky but not as much as other top-shelf protection I've seen. Then again most of time I'm in shorts & tee-shirt, including today...25.5°C like summer!

Nice riding gear.

If you're going to get a heli, make sure it handle the weight of whatever camera you want to attach and is suitable for flying outdoors with wind.

With the tiny little heli's I've been playing with, they are extremely sensitive to any carrying any extra weight. Manoeuvrability and flight time go way down, if they're even able to lift off the ground at all.

remf said:
I've always wanted to get some aerial shots and have contemplated shooting something from my ultralight.
Way to upstage me man :lol:

Of course a follow me UAV like the new AR Drone would be amazing...if it follows at 70 kph which I doubt
Yeah that might be a tall order for an AR drone, I'm sure a DIY one would be more likely to do it though.
There is some amazing aftermarket programming and hacks for these things though. I was reading earlier about a guy who added a GPS chip to one with remote PC control so he could use it as a true UAV type drone. Or put in the GPS coordinates / way points and set it off and it will fly as far as the battery allows. So cool.

voicecoils said:
If you're going to get a heli, make sure it handle the weight of whatever camera you want to attach and is suitable for flying outdoors with wind.
Yeah I expect the extra weight will suck up the battery quick - it'd be only for dedicate video shoots that I'd do this.
I think they do handle the weight of the gopro OK though, there's alot of video online of people strapping on gopros (using with weight saving rubber bands. haha) I remember seeing one of a guy who removed the altitude cap on his and flew it up to the outer stratosphere. Well ok that was a slight exaggeration haha but it was some rediculous height where you could see for miles around

With the tiny little heli's I've been playing with, they are extremely sensitive to any carrying any extra weight. Manoeuvrability and flight time go way down, if they're even able to lift off the ground at all.
Yeah the little baby cheap helis I've played with have been the same and I wouldn't expect them to handle the weight. I remember seeing vids of these drones though holding their own against a big pedestal fan - basically powering against the wind at almost 45 degrees to maintain a steady position. It's that autostability aspect that I'm really impressed with and I want something I can quickly learn to fly without spending months learning to intricately pilot the thing.

I'll google for some HD video samples from the new one and if it looks good enough I might just go with that.
Seems the 2.0s can be had for $300 on amazon but they won't ship here. Bummer.

As just posted in the stealth thread my fighter is finally nearing completion - until I change my mind and reconfigure it all over again :p
I won't repost all the pics but here's a couple

I've drilled the larger 40mm motor which while probably unnecessary will let me run even more power :twisted: The windings were pristine after a few months of 7kw peaks but it'll run even cooler now, letting my ride harder for longer. I've fitted an internal 100 degree thermostat inline with the hall voltage line which will essentially kill power to the motor in the event it gets too hot. 100 degrees is pretty conservative too but I'd rather be on the safe side. With my health being the way it is I couldn't push the bike home with a melted winding or even pedal it very far unpowered - but I CAN sit on a log for 10 minutes until the thermostat resets and then ride home a bit easier :)

My lipo charging solution is nearly finished. Balancing and isolated cell charging will happen though the centronics plug in the original CA location. This allows charging of individual cells at 8 amps which makes very short work of balancing. I could charge the battery only this way but charging at 8 amps is for suckers :p I'll use it just for balancing occasionally, which will only take minutes with this set up. Main charging will be done with a home made 2400w super fast charger - the most powerful one I can run on a standard house mains AC outlet 8) This will charge the 18S 18ah pack at 32 amps - just under 2C fror a 90% recharge in around 30 minutes. I've also replaced the standard key with a motorbike one which has a second click for accessories. First click turns on the bike, second click turns on the internal DC-DC converter which powers the lights (not yet fitted)

fighter3-ES.jpg

I've also removed the 3" halo knobby (and what a task that was!) and replaced it with a DMR motoRT which is more suited to the sort of riding I do. Not as slick as the crazy bob but still rolls fast on the road and hard trails. It's quite similar to the berm master actually.

View attachment 1

Hyena said:
I've fitted an internal 100 degree thermostat inline with the hall voltage line which will essentially kill power to the motor in the event it gets too hot.

That sounds like a very good idea especially for fast wind motors...or Clydesdales. Your Fighter looks like a superb machine! It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Fast no doubt.

Hyena said:
I've also removed the 3" halo knobby (and what a task that was!) and replaced it with a DMR motoRT which is more suited to the sort of riding I do. Not as slick as the crazy bob but still rolls fast on the road and hard trails. It's quite similar to the berm master actually.

Yeah those chunky 3" wide tires like Duro's or Halo's aren't easy to get on or off. I've finally put Berm Masters on the Bomber and they're the best I've tried so far, at least for the type of riding I do on the big bike. Are the DMR's 2.4" wide? That's perfect for the Fighter though maybe not wide enough for the Bomber.

remf said:
Your Fighter looks like a superb machine! It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Fast no doubt.
Thanks, yeah it goes pretty well. I've got a number of vids up on youtube (search for "custom stealth fighter" and the first 10 or so are mine) but this one below probably gives the best feeling of speed. The other bike filming is about as powerful as a stock bomber so that gives you an indication of how it performs :)

[youtube]ewv-GmB_3jQ[/youtube]
For some reason that video has a heap of views. I don't post my videos anywhere but here and most get under 1000 views but that one has nearly 16000 views so a few people must have shared it on another popular site somewhere.

I've finally put Berm Masters on the Bomber and they're the best I've tried so far, at least for the type of riding I do on the big bike. Are the DMR's 2.4" wide?
Where'd you get the berm masters ? Yeah the DMRs are 2.4s but they're quite baloony so there's not much in it between those and the 3" I just took off in width.
I've got some 3" wide 24" rims on the way so once I get one of those we'll see just how fat a wheel a fighter will take. There should be just enough tread on the DMRs to fill out the width, if not I'll look at something else. For reference, this is a hookworm on the same size rim I'm getting 8)

basman2.jpg

That's perfect for the Fighter though maybe not wide enough for the Bomber.
Why ? Because of the power or the weight ? Mine has a fair bit more peak power than a bomber and has no traction issues.

Hyena said:
The weather is looking nice for this Sundays ebike group ride in Sydney so I'm looking forward to that. I've borrowed my father inlaws gopro (he bought one after seeing my footage) so I can record proper video on the day.
is it wrong to post someone else's vid for them? just it went public on youtube while they were sleeping?? :twisted:
[youtube]iBh7wErttc8[/youtube]
well done. i'd like to see a bit more speed and air over that dirt mound next time tho. :twisted:

Its weird you have a 100C thermostat. I have a 120C. You are going to trip the hall line. Im going to interupt Speed 3 and have it default to 2. It may just be simpler for me to trip the hall also but its alarming when you have a full loss of power and you are at speed in traffic. Thats why i wanted a limp home at like 25%.

Thanks Greg, I was indeed asleep! I posted it over in the events thread but hadn't done it here yet.
Ice, the whole reason I'm tripping the halls is it required no external wiring. Pop off the side cover, snip a hall wire, solder in the thermostat and seal it back up. Yes, if you wanted to run more external wires then doing as you are by limiting the speed would be better option. As for it cutting out on you at an inconvenient time, I view this as more of a last resort kinda fail safe. Once you smoke a winding it's game over and on an offroad build like this that could leave me 2 hours walk from home - something I couldn't do anymore with the way my heart and lungs are now. 5 minutes of pushing and I'm out. Granted mine is a bit on the conservative side but again I'd rather play it safe.

Hyena said:
Thanks Greg, I was indeed asleep! I posted it over in the events thread but hadn't done it here yet.
Ice, the whole reason I'm tripping the halls is it required no external wiring. Pop off the side cover, snip a hall wire, solder in the thermostat and seal it back up. Yes, if you wanted to run more external wires then doing as you are by limiting the speed would be better option. As for it cutting out on you at an inconvenient time, I view this as more of a last resort kinda fail safe. Once you smoke a winding it's game over and on an offroad build like this that could leave me 2 hours walk from home - something I couldn't do anymore with the way my heart and lungs are now. 5 minutes of pushing and I'm out. Granted mine is a bit on the conservative side but again I'd rather play it safe.

I almost wanna do a dual failsafe have the speed cut at 100 and the hall cut at 120... that gives a warning.

Back