Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

With all of those wires hanging loose on your bike, I guess you could say that your pretty darn lucky, one of your "pups" didn't yank any of them out :lol:
Gotta get that stuff nice and tidy :idea:

All that wiring (and battery pack etc that you can see at 1.26) is just an external headlight I threw on the day before. I don't normally ride my fighter to work so just threw it on as a temporary measure for visibility to get home at dusk. Likewise with the silly electronic horn (the little fella hits the button at 0.46)
I actually have internal wiring for a headlight with a seperate key switch click to turn the lights on but haven't wired up the DC-DC converter yet as I'm not riding the fighter of a night yet.

Cool video...Good to see the little one's following in daddy's foot steps! :mrgreen:

Mad riding skillz Jay 8)
Controlling a Fighter, 2 x kids and a vid camera - degree of difficulty 9.7 Puts you at Expert level I believe.

Gonna have to build kids ebikes soon like I did.

Glenn

Hyena said:
remf said:
They'll be wheeling you around on a futuristic 2-wheeled device in the distant future :lol:
I've always said I'll have the baddest electric wheel chair around when the time comes. I just hope it is in the distant future given everything that's gone on in the last 12 months... :|

Haha...you sure about that Jay...think you might have some "competition" in that department. I've been keeping an eye on the Quokka for sale section for mobility scooters, hope I can pick one up not running for cheap... Etek or similar size motor transplanted in, along with some nano tech lipo go Kart slicks and wheelie bars..teehehe

Well, I came a step closer to the wheelchair this afternoon. I got creamed a beauty, car doored at close to 50km/hr :x

I'd just left work and was heading along a quiet back street at around 50ks. It wasn't super narrow but with parked cars down both sides of the road if 2 cars need to pass they slow to a crawl if one doesn't actually stop to give way. A car was oncoming so I was fairly close to the parked cars when a guy flug his car door open. I had a split second to brake, maybe dropping my speed to ~40km/hr before the impact. I don't have any recollection of what happened next, I didn't hit my head but somehow lost a few seconds as it all happened so quickly. The next thing I knew I was lying in the middle of the road and thankfully the oncoming car had stopped. My leg was either under the bike or right next to me, I can't remember but the first thing I did was reach for the power lead to yank it. Maybe I lost more than a few seconds because next thing I knew 3 people were helping me up off the road. One was the guy that hit me, the other was his wife that saw it happen from across the road (outside their house) and I guess the other was the other car driver. The guy was very apologetic and said he just didn't see me to which I sarcasticly replied "what my headlight isn't bright enough ??" (it wasn't dark but my T6 headlight is bright enough to still throw a spot on the road even in the late afternoon and you can clearly see it even in broad daylight) They helped me up but I was more concerned with picking my bike up from the middle of the road. "Leave that, come and sit down" they said but I wasn't going to leave it just laying there :p The guy didn't say much else (probably a bit in shock) but his wife was nice to me, offered to take me to the hospital and took my pulse (said she was a nurse) and offered to drive me home. I said I'd be right as long as by bike wasn't bent as I didn't seem too badly hurt. My chest hurt like shit at the time and it's now much worse. Other than that I haven't got a single scratch on me so I'm at a loss as to what actually happened. My knee has a small bruise on it the size of a 10c coin and other than feeling like I've been smashed in the sternum with a baseball bat (dead centre just below the collarbones) I'm not sure how I came to be laying on the road without a mark on me or any pain from the impact. I was wearing my kevlar jeans and armoured jacket, though ironically the car door hit right where the zip was - ie no padding. But there's not a mark on my pants or my jacket, or my gloves or my helmet. The only thing I can think is a started to endo as I hit the front brakes, collected to top of the car door in the middle of my chest as I went over the bars, somersaulted and landed on my feet then lightly fell to the ground as the bike slid up next to me. :?: The tiny bruise on my knee is most likely from hitting the bars on the way over. But yeah, I'm at a loss as to what actually happened after the impact.

I thanked the car driver for not running over me, put my chain back on, connected up the electrics and slowly limped away. The CA was all bent up and has a ding in the back but still seems to work fine. My throttle and second 3 speed switch (which I use for cruise control and enabling throttle off regen) got smashed up but I was able to get home OK. The PVC lipo box on my top bar was twisted but otherwise fine. A few components got grazed up - pedals, brake lever and fluid tank, bent bars and a buggered rear derailleur it seems (might just need adjusting but keeps skipping and jumping out of the top 2 gears)

My first thought as I rode away in a fair bit of pain was "SHIT, of all days not to have the gopro on!" :lol:
Followed by "thank Christ I was on my commuter and not the stealth fighter, I'd be really spewing if my fighter had gotten so banged up" :p

I bet I'll be sore(er) in the morning. I don't think I have any broken ribs (due to it hitting right in the centre) but the cartlidges must have copped a hiding. I'm just lucky I had the implant in my chest removed when I finished my chemo. It was a central line that tapped into the main artery leaving my heart and came to a large port just below the skin. This impact would have probably ruptured it, potentially causing me to bleed out internally :shock: They were planning to leave it in for a few years incase I have to have more chemo but when I got really sick they decided to remove it incase it was infected (it wasn't) If subdermal central line. So unlucky, but also very lucky.

DUDE! glad yer semi ok. I think a 40 kph collision is the equivelent of a second story tall fall so that's pretty heroic if you just got a bruise or two. Hope it's not a smashed sternum. Yowzer!

Glad you're not badly hurt.

The guy will look twice from now on. Especially after he gets the fine, which has recently been increased to $1,200 :shock:

Nearly got doored twice yesterday morning within 50m while in the bike lane..

PS cool kids!

holy shit dude. you really are in the wars eh? you wern't tempted to get the guy to pay for repairs etc? guess that was the last thing on your mind... and yea, least it was just the commuter.

good to hear you're still alive and kicking mate! hopefully you did just shirt front the door as you did your neat lil somersault.

Hobbit said:
DUDE! glad yer semi ok. I think a 40 kph collision is the equivelent of a second story tall fall
Is that why I feel like I've just belly flopped into an empty pool from my second storey balcony! :|

Ypedal said:
Damn... :shock:
that would indeed have been an Epic Go-Pro event !!!.. :lol:
I know, right !
The gopro is actually attached to the fighter from the previous day. I nearly got on it this morning but though "nah keep the miles off it, and it sticks out too much in public" (I've seen the cops every day in the last 3 rides and sooner or later I'd probably get pulled over. Mind you, if I'd been on the fighter I probably would have been going slightly quicker and passed his door before he flung it open. Or maybe I would have been cleaned up by a mac truck at the previous intersection. Who knows, no point in playing the 'what if' game - I'll leave the parrallel universe scenarios to the scifi movies :p

you and the other guy ( door person ) each take your $$ losses seperately ?.. or got your contact info's ?
I'm sure that had to have fuxored his door somewhat ?
I got his wifes phone number (which I rang to confirm). I didnt bother with rego details etc as I figured it was just a small crash and I and the bike were OK. But it wasn't until I rode off that I realised we were both a little more banged up than I realised. I guess I could ring him and see if he wants to pay a few bucks for damages ($200 would cover it) I could say "The hospital advised me to notify the police and contact your insurance company to fix my bike, but it's not really worth the hassle for a $200 worth of repairs"
I might get a chest xray tomorrow yet anyway, it's getting more and more sore to breathe and last time I broke ribs (snowboarding) it felt just like this until I could barely move the following day.

The guy was driving an 80s shitbox so I doubt he'll bother claiming even if he has insurance. And any damage it probably to the interior trim or inside of the door metal which wouldn't be notice from the outside.

full-throttle said:
The guy will look twice from now on. Especially after he gets the fine, which has recently been increased to $1,200 :shock:
That might make them more forthcoming with a few bucks if I share that with them!
Is that just in Vic ? What's that fine for ?

Nearly got doored twice yesterday morning within 50m while in the bike lane..
Must be the season for it! Not that my illumination is lacking at all (see this vid of when I had it pointed higher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAUfWKk0Jjg) but I'd just ordered some more headlights 30 minutes prior. Though in this guys case I still don't think it would have saved me. I actually have my light pointed to the left and down so as to not blind oncoming cars so it was pointed directly at his mirror has he have glanced at it before opening his door.

sn0wchyld said:
holy shit dude. you really are in the wars eh? you wern't tempted to get the guy to pay for repairs etc? guess that was the last thing on your mind...
Yeah my poor chest can't catch a break. It looks like a battle zone between radiation burns, tats for lining up the radio and 2 surgical scars (one a good 5mm thick). A few broken ribs would round things off nicely :roll:

GCinDC said:
can't imagine what the wife said...
"you're home later than usual"
"...err, yeah, ran into a bit of traffic"
:lol:
I didn't tell her and won't be telling her either :wink: She'd just have a spack attack and go on about getting rid of my bikes again or trying to ban me from riding to work like she did when I broke my wrists. So I'll save her the stress of replying to my suggestions as to what she can go do :p

at least you'll catch up on your reading on the train/bus whatever. :lol:
Damn the expense of petrol, I'm driving :p
And then I'm saving up for this: http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/batman-motorcycle-suit

Hyena said:
Damn the expense of petrol, I'm driving :p
And then I'm saving up for this: http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/batman-motorcycle-suit

ooooohhhhh SHIT YES. thats going on the christmass list. lol. Now I just need to mod my bike to have huge 20inch wide tires, a black paint job and missile launchers and ill be set!

Hyena said:
That might make them more forthcoming with a few bucks if I share that with them!
Is that just in Vic ? What's that fine for ?

Seem to be.. Hopefully other states will follow.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/SafetyAndRules/SaferRiders/BikeRiders/Cardoorsbikeriders.htm

NEWS, 1 August 2012

Minister for Roads, Terry Mulder, announced tougher fines and penalties for this rule will come into effect on 2 August 2012.

The on-the-spot fine has increased from $141 to $352.
The maximum court penalty has increased from $423 to $1,408.

My wife got doored a few years ago - cracked the helmet, bent the forks, taco-ed the wheel.. The door wouldn't even close afterwards. Driver's wife was more preoccupied with the door not closing :roll:
Luckily for her I wasn't there :twisted:

New law starts tomorrow, that's the story of my life :roll:
Not that I'm interested in chasing it, if the guy was an asshole the story would be different though.
Statistics suggest that sooner or later I'll get hit again and hopefully I'm as lucky next time.
Just had a chest xray. Doesn't look obviously fractured to me (which I figured) but I'll wait for the doctors report tomorrow.
I'll inspect the bike when I get home and decide if it's worth ringing the bloke and seeing if he'll chuck me a few bucks.

Man im scared to get back on mines now. You have survived much worse. You can shake this off no problem. Glad you are ok tho mate. I think you should pursue something. I would be like i could go for more but i just want my stuff fixed.

Sorry to hear man.

Had an accident on my motorbike once when a truck turned infront of me (no indicator) while I was about to overtake it.

Don't think I was knocked out but I remember hitting the breaks and then the next thing I know I am sliding along the road into the gutter.

The truck driver told me I went flying infront of his windscreen :p Hit him right on the front corner, almost made it round. No injuries but bruised all the way down my left side.

I think the brain just switches off for a second.

Hope you get better soon.

P.S. The motor you got me for the Girlfriend works a treat. Thanks Jay

Yeah I think I'll ring and say "with all the drama I didn't think to ask yesterday, is there any damage to your car ? My bike is more damaged thanI originally thought so if you're making a claim on your insurance I'll get them to fix my bike too" If he says he's not going to make a claim I'll then ask if he wants to give me $200 to fix the bike and say it wouldn't be worth the hassle to involve his insurance company and pay the excess (which I'm guessing would be atleast double that)

Rustedhen said:
I think the brain just switches off for a second
Yeah it's like the blunt force trauma / impact causes a temporary glitch and your brain needs a few seconds to reboot. Sadly I've gone over the bars many times before but I always remember the impact and circumstances. I guess this time the sudden hit preceeded the fall so I lost those few seconds in the glitch.
Glad the new motor is working for the GF.

Hyena said:
Sadly I've gone over the bars many times before ...

lmao.. sorry man.. not laughing at you.. but this absolutely cracks me up... why is it that someone getting hurt brings on laughter.? humans are weird.

I wonder if animals do that too.. " Hey man.. you see steve jump that branch yesterday, he totally missed his mark.. fell 40 ft.. f'n hilarious.. almost dropped my nuts "

Hey sorry to hear about your accident man, bring on the batman suit.

Of course I had a quick squiz at that web site, and found this:
water-jet-pack.jpg

a water jet pack for only $100,000. :shock:

Sorry to here about your accident mate hope everything is ok.
Old mate who opened the door should be paying to fix your bike.

Back