Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Yeah I was more concerned about the bike at the time, but I have other bikes and spare parts but only one rib cage :p

Speaking of parts, some rims I ordered for a few projects arrived today.
One is a fat ass 3" wide 24" cruiser style rim for my 5404. I'll probably end up in some sort of cruiser-ish bike but not sure what yet. I'll probably thow it on my stealth fighter briefly for shits n giggles. Pictured with it is the rims I DID buy for my fighter, 24x2" wide (50mm) so should look good with 2.5-3" tyres on it. My current rims are 39mm wide. They'd be tougher being welded sun double tracks but they're not available any more so if you want a wide 24" double wall 36h rim, this was my only option.
For size comparison, the wheel off a cheap mountain bike. The 3" rim kinda dwarfs the 2" one but even that is pretty fat

phat-rims.jpg

Hyena said:
Yeah I was more concerned about the bike at the time, but I have other bikes and spare parts but only one rib cage :p

Speaking of parts, some rims I ordered for a few projects arrived today.
One is a fat ass 3" wide 24" cruiser style rim for my 5404. I'll probably end up in some sort of cruiser-ish bike but not sure what yet. I'll probably thow it on my stealth fighter briefly for shits n giggles. Pictured with it is the rims I DID buy for my fighter, 24x2" wide (50mm) so should look good with 2.5-3" tyres on it. My current rims are 39mm wide. They'd be tougher being welded sun double tracks but they're not available any more so if you want a wide 24" double wall 36h rim, this was my only option.
For size comparison, the wheel off a cheap mountain bike. The 3" rim kinda dwarfs the 2" one but even that is pretty fat

Hi Hyena,
Can you tell me where you bought those 2" rims?
regards, XLR8

HyenaElectricBikes.com :mrgreen:
Lets just say they're not available to the public. Minimum order is 100 rims but I managed to get a "sample" of a few different rims before committing to a big order :wink:
I still had to buy 10 sets though at an inflated price + pay for express air shipping which wasn't cheap. Still, as I said there's bugger all other rim options around and those fatties work out at around $150 ea delivered from chopperus and I got a set for not much more. I got a few of these 24x2" rims for myself and a mate, 2 sets of the 3" fatties for myself and Aussie Jester and a few others for another project. I knew there'd be interest in the 24x2" rims so got a few sets of those to sell on. $50 ea if you want one. No eyelettes so you can run fat spokes.

I normally like all black rims but decided to do something different for an upcoming build with some gold trials style rims 8)
This will be for a stealthy "super legerra" ebike build with internal 6 fet controller, Mac (or maybe BPM, haven't decided yet) and 8ah lipo pack inside the frame. Not sure how far I"ll go with the gold accessorising yet, I don't want to make it too ricey/tacky but I saw a black yamaha the other day with gold rims (something like THIS and it looked pretty sweet so I'm going to go for a look like that. Gotta find some fat, strong rim tape now!

gold-rims.jpg

Hyena said:
Not sure how far I"ll go with the gold accessorising yet, I don't want to make it too ricey/tacky

54766.jpg

This is gonna be AWESOME!!!

Damn Jay those fatties are giving me a fatty :p Go the gold bling :wink:

How you feeling now after your getoff the other week, all good?

Ypedal said:
I wonder if animals do that too.. " Hey man.. you see steve jump that branch yesterday, he totally missed his mark.. fell 40 ft.. f'n hilarious.. almost dropped my nuts "
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul :D

Yeah still a bit sore mate, can't take a deep breath or cough or laugh without it hurting but the xray shows now fractures so that's good. And a slight silver lining, the xray shows no growth of my tumor since xmas. In fact if anything it's a touch smaller which is great.

In other news, I'm making the move into the chain drive world. In a big way :twisted:

nkWPN.jpg

HPM5000 - good for 5kw continuous and over 20kw peak. Given how Luke's bike goes with the 10kw version of this motor (albeit highly tuned), I reckon it's little brother here will delivery plenty of grunt for my needs.

And for giggles, here it is next to my fighter.
The plan is to make a custom frame for it though, positioned in the usual place of the bottom bracket with the actual bottom bracket mounted just forward of the motor. With a large chainring it should just about cover the motor which should make for a pretty stealthy set up :)

yvaS3.jpg

Pretty :)
The thing that keeps me away from chain drives, they are hard to setup and almost impossible to setup if you aren't a machinist or know one.
Anyways, good luck mate! :twisted:

That's right, and that's the thing that's deterred me for so long. I've gone as far as I can with hubs now so it's time to make the next step.
Well, I still haven't laced up my 5404 to that big fatty rim yet but I know roughly the performance I'll get from that and I'm anticipating I'll quickly become immune to the extra power :p
I'm actually not ready to put the HPM into commission yet but had the opportunity to get one when nechaus was placing a bulk order with GM so decided to take it. As I said, I want to build a whole custom frame around this motor so that will take time (I still haven't even got a hardtail prototype made up yet for my hub builds)
What I'd really love to do is to run this through a little 2 speed gearbox - say 60 in 1st and 100 in 2nd. That'd be a monster. But it very much becomes an electric motorbike then and trying to conceal that sorta stuff to ride it on the road as an "electric assist" push bike isn't going to float Well, I could technically hide much of it inside the custom frame but then with the extra power comes the requirement for extra battery capacity and then it all snowballs.

Oh yeah, and on a much smaller scale my youngest (3 1/2) got an upgrade to his first electric quad bike on the weekend.
The 4ah 6V SLA it came with is becoming a bit gutless and sluggish as he gets bigger and heavier. It now goes much better powered by 16ah headway that can deliver 160 amps if the motor desires it :lol:

VzEVf.jpg

Hyena said:
HyenaElectricBikes.com :mrgreen:
.... Gotta find some fat, strong rim tape now!

Do you need special rim tape and tubes to deal with those big holes?
Do they do the holes to lighten the rim?

Yeah the holes are for weight reduction though I can't imagine it saves a HEAP and really it's a bit of a toss in ebike application where our motors and battery weigh so much more than a normal bike. Though that said they also do it on trials dirt bikes to save every gram they can. I thought it'd be an interesting project to make a modestly powered ebike from the ground up as light as possible but without going too mad on carbon fibre.

I'll probably just use a old 24" downhill tube stretched over the inside of the rim then trimmed down to fit. There's not really going to be anything coming through to puncture the tube from that side of the rim anyway.

I'm having a bad day so it's rant time.
Don't we all hate inconsiderate people who fail to share *SHARED* bike paths ?
Pedestrians are the first ones to cry if bikes are riding past too fast or they get clipped but when they do shit like below is it any wonder ?
For the record I always slow down around peds and especially kids as they're unpredictable but I know most of the lycra types don't and they'll blast on through regardless.
For the safety of my own kids I'd be moving out of the way of an oncoming bike, but not this bitch - she clearly sees me then turns her head to look away like I'll magically disappear if she's not looking at me. I barely had enough room to squeeze between the fence. I bet she drives her SUV the same way and jams her shopping trolley against the parked car along side her while unloading her groceries.
Sometimes I feel like throwing a stray elbow :evil:

[youtube]umORVBpnzaM[/youtube]

OH, and while having a whinge, I nearly got doored AGAIN!
Less than 2 weeks from when I got flattened last time :roll:
Time to fit a bull bar and roll cage!

[youtube]nUiscNggfJk[/youtube]

In other news I've just ordered a new gopro, the hero 2 :)
The quailty of my current one is OK for capturing footage of me nearly dying but it's time to return to good quality HD for my planned/co-ordinated weekend vids.
I've also just dropped $300 on quadcopter parts at hobbyking which should be here in 2 weeks. It's somewhat ironic that I've spent thousands at hobbyking and have over 50 orders according to my account info yet haven't built or piloted a single RC device since I was a kid!

Having done a bit of research I think I have most of the components about right but we'll see once I assemble it all! I've gone for lower KV motors and slower flying props which should be more capable of lugging my camera setup but if I decide I need for it to be faster and more nimble all I need do swap out around $60 worth of motors and props. Once I get the hang of flying it I'll fit it out with a FPV system so I can fly it out of sight and see what it sees in real time - proper drone type shiz :)
I also got a 9 channel transmitter for it so I have spare channels to play with. Not sure what I'll use it for yet but one possible thing I'd like to do is fit bright spot lights to it. Hovering outside the local pub and lighting up drunks from high above in a stream of light alien abduction style could be good for a giggle :lol:

Hyena said:
Don't we all hate inconsiderate people who fail to share *SHARED* bike paths ?
Hyena said:
OH, and while having a whinge, I nearly got doored AGAIN!
Less than 2 weeks from when I got flattened last time :roll:
Time to fit a bull bar and roll cage!
Sounds like Melbourne
The other morning some lady nearly run me over, the first excuse was a typical "I didn't see you" the second "I've got two sick kids in the car"
Got it on video

quad copter + camera = Hyena's e-bike builds (now with quad-copter cam video) :mrgreen:

I wan't to get a quad sometime soon...and a laser cnc machine...

You're going to LOVE the new GoPro! I have the Hero II and the video is just amazing. I trust that you'll put it to good use :mrgreen:

t3sla said:
I wan't to get a quad sometime soon...and a laser cnc machine...
I want a quad WITH a CNC laser machine on it. Flying, Slicing, dicing terror from above :p

grindz145 said:
You're going to LOVE the new GoPro! I have the Hero II and the video is just amazing. I trust that you'll put it to good use :mrgreen:
If you consider good use recording aerial footage of me zooming around on my ebike and buzzing girls down at the beach in coming months, then yes :mrgreen:
I'm going to need a good RC piloting accomplice for these videos though. I'm quite confident that I can't pilot my bike at high speeds and the drone at the same time :lol:
There's some very cool stuff you can do with them though with advance arduino programming. I don't have such programming skills but the guys that do seem generally happy to make it open source and available so that's cool. One with a GPS module that I can program to travel a specific route would be killer. I could map it out first and then ride along that route with the drone just ahead. Not following me as such but just ahead of me on teh same pre-programmed course

I need to keep this gopro one safely out of the hands of junior this time. And maybe look at some sort of lens protection for it when used 'naked'. I do that quite a bit, which ultimately lead to the demise of the old one. But I'll probably use it for initial test flights with the quad so I don't risk damaging the new one in crashes (which I'm guessing are highly likely to occur)

I can only imagine the breathtaking ebike shot possible when you add Hyena + Hero II + Quadcopter...

You definitely just need some code to autonomously follow you down the beach , and then come over and land, when you slap you knee, whistle, and say "here boy!"

Heh I'm sure I could fool some gullible girls if I had a mate sitting up on the hill driving while I pretended it responded to voice commands :lol:

Back