Tidal Force : "The Long Ranger"

I must have missed it, but what motor did you end up going with ? Looks like a 9C
PAS on a powerful bike is scary! I hope you have a bypass switch on it.

You know what guys... my ass hurts. I put in my first 40 miler of the year....

There were a few thing i changed on this ride. I put more air in the rear tire. I have 40 up front and 50 in the back on my big apples. I changed my controller programming and remove 120% from my speed switch and programmed it to 100. The reason why i did this is i think when you go WOT it advances the timing regardless on what the speed is so it made for rough shitty acceleration... atleast when i tested it around my neighborhood. When I tried it today after the change there was rock solid acceleration .... this thing has so much pull that i back off before i can even top out at speed. Its supposed to have a theoretical speed in the high 40s.. Ive yet to break 35 but there is still so much acceleration past that point. I think cause of my accident im psyching myself out but i gotta remember where i was riding which is a multi use trail so i try to keep it between 20-25 tops if no one is around or looking i open her up. The bike coasts extremely well so i dont thing its any drive train losses. When i hit the throttlle and accelerate past 30 and let go of the throttle it still feels like accelrating and i hover at a speed for a while then it slowly starts to drop off so it free wheels very well. Also ive down graded to a regular helmet so im not as agressive. I still have my motorcross helmet for whenever i wanna take it back to the streets but for now im still breaking the bike in and working out the kinks

In other news 7 miles at the end of my ride i broke a spoke... it broke at the nipple and not at the elbow.. which is odd for me. I used spoke washers at the elbow this time around... now it breaks at the other end... So i had to limp it home.. the wheel fortunately was still pefectly true i just didnt wanna risk the long ass walk home. So now i gotta remove the wheel and replace the spoke.. which works out because i think i can take it to the LBS and still get my wheel retension and trued within the 30 day grace period which is an awesome value.

My consumption is a little high.This is only my second ride out. My legs arent used to pedaling. This should get better with time. Im 20-30lbs heavier. My battery is about 10 lbs heavier. I think this motor is an 8x7 instead of a 9x7 which i think may make it a slightly hotter/ faster wind. I have a 13-14 tooth cog in the rear instead of the 11 tooth i had last year so i over spin and cant apply to much effort unless the grade slightly changes uphill to drop the speed those 1-2 mph. Im looking into 54t front single crank. Im never winded or out of breath my leg just burn like a mofo so i pedal in 10-15 second bursts and coast a bit on the cruise control for 5-10seconds and pedal some more.

[youtube]dNX4hMMyuCQ[/youtube]

So... I got my wheel back from the shop .. after I broke a spoke at the end of my last ride.. I replaced the spokeand they retensioned the wheel. Got everything back up and configured... I did more test rides around my home and im looking at my true consumption data..... this Lyen controller is a wolf in sheeps clothing... I know i should scale back... but man the power is just nasty.... So fresh off the charger 83.9v lowest voltage 79.5 Under load and peak is 76A. I know im sustaining every but of 65-70A when I go up the hill on my street....and under acceleration in the flats that 6kw.... I am scared as hell of this thing but i dont wanna go down to 16s... booooooo! I really have to be careful.....I havent even taken the bike up to top speed yet......

also ive been reading around... tell me why am i shopping for heated vests at the end of summer... Damn Alan B...

Broke my flashlight holder while my bikes was spead eagle upside down during repairs... bought a new one... all rubber this time....

Whoever was selling those frames with TF logos on them never realized what they could be used for.
By agreement they should have removed name from the frame.

Anyway all this above thread has nothing to do with Tidal Force ebike.

By that thinking, one would have to remove the name from any bike you modify from it's original, or convert to ebike if it was a pedal-only, etc. That's silly. ;) What does it matter?

Um......I always considered TidalForce to be a high performance American bike brought to it's knees by lousy management. It seems to me IC57 is doing exactly what Tidalforce might have done if they had the business smarts.
otherDoc

Wavecrest Labs management back then has little to do with performance of Tidal Force.
docnjoj,
you must be kidding , right?
"everything..." ??
including cheese alloy broken off brake disc mount?
amberwolf,
for private use yes it would be silly to remove name.

miro13car said:
Whoever was selling those frames with TF logos on them never realized what they could be used for.
By agreement they should have removed name from the frame.

Anyway all this above thread has nothing to do with Tidal Force ebike.

The name is baked into the paint... couldnt remove it if i wanted to.

The name is under clear coat so it could be just painted over or stickered over. The Tidalforce S-750 frame is a great ebike frame. Strong, overbuilt, cutouts to run the cabling through the frame, strong dropout, mounting plate for torque arms, etc... I have a few! :roll:

Im on the fence where I want to go riding at today... there is revisiting where I fell over a year ago or revisit a town call Peachtree City. Ive visted here a while ago. It has alot of bike/golf cart paths... one is 35 miles away the other is 15....hmmm decisions decisions... I need to mentally get that fall ride outta my head and just redo it.....carefully.

Ok so i went out for a ride. Trying to push the rig a little more ...test the limits. Got it up to 44mph on a downhill stretch. Probably could have gotten more tucked in. 6-7Kw on tap is defintely fun in short burst but sustained power is defintely an issue with the 9C clones. Its not so much the heat saturation that ruined it for me...It was my temp switch. I finally got the temp switch to trip and it locked me out of speed 3 which was a good thing cause where it tripped it would have been bad times with a total loss or drastic reduction of power. My speed was capped at 28-30mph... The controller was limiting the overall top speed thus limiting the amps and total wattage to something a little more manageable. I didnt feel like i was in danger nor was there a sharp drop in speed. It was a very smooth transition. It took a little guess work to realize it was tripped. I may swap speed 1 and speed 2 to make there be a more noticeable drop in speed. Also it seems like every motor ive had... when you push them to their thermal limits the stator and the magnets rub and about 1/4-1/2 mile later after it cools its fine. Also I bought an 11 tooth 7 speed freewheel. It feels SOO MUCH BETTER. I can pedal in the mid 20s. This should help with my wh/mi on my rides. Also im going to tweak the amps down a little bit.

I let my LBS technician ride my bike. Hes the guy that trues my wheel. He has rode last years build. He says this one has defintely a bit pep. I went from 18s to 20s and 55-60 to 65-70A. It put a grin on his face. He got his co-worker to ride. In comparison to an flagship Izip hes rode... my bike develops so much more torque and speed so quickly it surpasses anything they have rode or sold.

I ordered some 203 promax on the front to replace the 160 on the front... not the greatest brand but anything is a step up. I also bought a new set of v brakes front and rear.. I think the springs are worn on my rear which makes adjustment a pain in the ass. I got a question. Im thinking about removing my rear brake due to adjustment issues and going with a disc front and v-brake front. Is there anything to suggest why this wouldnt work... and just have the motor regen braking in the rear. I also order some of the cable end caps that I loose to frequently... try to clean things up a bit. Some reason i think i need short pull levers instead of the long pull to get better braking performance. I may switch rear ebrake over to short pull regular lever.

* normal V-brakes are long pull Looks like I need to adjust the pads with spacers and replace the cable to get rid of any softness in the lever.

Well the brakes came in today. Replaced the rear V Brakes Caliper Pads and Cable. They feel better. I havent officially rode them yet but they are adjusted pretty good. I put the 203 front rotor on but I couldnt mount the caliper... I need a post mount to 203 post mount adapter... I just bought one so it should be here Tues or Wed.

Bad note... my car was finally repo. My bankruptcy was finalized like early Aug. Ive been expecting and preparing for it but the ebike fever hit and I spent some of my money on my build. Its finally in that finished phase where you are doing final tweaks here and there but the major costs are over. when you have 1200-1500 wrapped up in a bike thats recreational and 1200-1500 cash on hand for a car.... It puts me in a rock and a hard place. Im going to wait it out and see how work and this harness thing bridges the gap for a 2-3k car. I dont want to sell the bike but I will if i have to.. atleast it will kinda rid me of the TF frame thats been holding me back. I dont want another car note.. I just need something for local errands. 20-50 mile range. The bike isnt going to handle that task unless i have a cromotor or 5400 for sustained High Power ridinng. Decisions Decisions. Since i work at home i can use the wifes car as needed until money gets saved for a second car but it might be another month or two... Wish there was an electric kit motor cycle for like 1500 where i can use my ebike batt on it.

icecube57 said:
Wish there was an electric kit motor cycle for like 1500 where i can use my ebike batt on it.
You know that's totally doable if you could pick up a cheap bike for next to nothing. But then you're stuck paying rego, insurance and all the other stuff that comes with car and bike ownership. What are cops like in your area ? Why not make a powered trailer for when you need to load up on food/groceries/whatever else you'd consider carrying on a motorbike
2x 20" magic pies on the back you're laughing. You could even convert one of those child / pet carriers.

trailer_lg_hero_med.jpg

I really like this thread, ice. Great to see you back in the saddle. I'm curious how the arm is now? How recovered is it?

Hey ice, my first post on ES but have been lurking for a while. Nice job on the videos. Found this thread thru EV album while looking for ebikes in my area. I pedal part of the Silver Comet going to / from the express bus most days and know well the bridges and side trail you took at the end of the debut ride you posted earlier this month. Glad you're healed up and active again.

I've read most of this thread and a lot of others plus some on other EV sites. I have a solid idea of what I need to reach my goal of making the 22 mile commute to work by bike but, want to see some of the hardware in person. Plus I'm still saving up.

PM me if your ok with meeting me somewhere for a look at the bike. I have a pretty good idea of where you're at from the video of the run to subway.

OMG someone from GA. I stay over by Six Flags. The good part. I can let you demo or ride my bike any time you want.

Oh crap, now he's going to have a sidekick. The Long Ranger and his faithful companion Pronto, in the further adventures of "Life on the Edge of Traction". Wherever there is evil, you can find our heroes......hiding. In our next episode The Long Ranger secretly disguised as a mild mannered Abrams Tank...........

Back