Farfle joins the MENS club

Farfle said:
And what's more awesome, at 250A, the windings will be making only 840 watts of heat.

so its 13.4m ohms resistance per phase? (13.4*250*250=840) -just wondering if thats how you worked it out.

The phase wire is 15 paralleled strands of 18awg. And each phase is roughly 5 m long. So 10m of phase in Wye. Double check my math here but each wire is .021 ohms/meter so .021 ohms x10m /15 strands is .014 ohms per phase. 250a at .014 ohms is 875 watts. Little off my quoted number :oops: but I think I did that calc from a more accurate length of the phase wire.

Almost there...

Hopefully should be a roller tomorrow night.

20120828_212714.jpg

Damn!
A massive home built motor, steel frame stout as a wrecking ball, and now an implementation of the mythical sprotor to boot?
:D

That sprotor looks interesting! I think you will need to be very careful about lubing the chain, otherwise you might almost completely lose your back brake!

Here's some dyno pr0n for you all, peak hp was 24 at around 45mph. Max speed on the dyno was 77mph and max speed on the road is 81mph. Max input power was 318A at 89V and max stator temp on the dyno was 66C.

[youtube]bwoGXQDzB-s[/youtube]

The KV ended up being about 26 and all up weight was 31lbs. It's a little on the fat side. With more patience and a better set of lathe tools I could have shaved another couple pounds off.

The axle is 40mm in diameter where it goes thru the aluminum center stator support. And the drill I had to clear for the boring bar wasn't long enough to get there, so the stator has a 6" piece of 40mm chromoly solid rod thru it.

On the racetrack the highest temp we hit was about 106C. It's got at least another 30% more power in it. But at this power level, it's super reliable and I don't have to mess with it.

I didn't see it discussed in the thread, did you just copy the tooth profile of the original laminations or did you tweak them a bit?

I did tweak them a few mms in every direction. I made the tooth tips thicker and more contoured, the overall tooth is thicker and to compensate for the reduced copper area, I made the gaps deeper, so the teeth are longer, but still the same outer diameter. Basically I was just tweaking the shape and re-testing in femm to try to get as close to miles' posted flux densities as I could, while avoiding any super saturated points.

wow, this is exciting for me to just watch you!!!

Im very keen to see some power wheelies!!!
Are you going to upload some videos soon of the bike in action?
The dyno video was not enough for me!!! i need more!!!

Farfle said:
IIIT LIVES!!! kinda... in fits and starts...

[youtube]tM9_2XFhWP0[/youtube]
Hate to dog up the past, but what was wrong with the motor that it couldn't spin? Was it a motor issue or a controller issue?

moving this thread over to here where the bike is :D

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=44393

Killer build! Got me thinking of a mini version!

Back