Long wheel base front box cargo bike

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Good idea amberwolf, I will endeavour to do a summary post.
Here are photos of the powder coated frame.

cargo33.jpg
cargo32.jpg

Hmm, I can't get pics above or several posts up - but would sure love to see them...

Here ya go Sam -

cargo32.jpg

Bravo Matt the frame looks bloody great mate, this is going to come together beautifully with the black wheels and stained cargo area :mrgreen:
As usual, keep the pron pics coming :wink:

Paul :D

Yours is definitley going to look better than mine. I will wait for your summary and the test ride reports before proceeding to actually build anything, but my pondering thread is here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43328

amberwolf said:
Yours is definitley going to look better than mine. I will wait for your summary and the test ride reports before proceeding to actually build anything, but my pondering thread is here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43328
Nice pondering, shit it's long!

Ok I'm feeling motivated now that the frame is home and powder coated.
I stained the box and put a coat of tung oil on it.
cargo34.jpg

The brakes are on.
cargo37.jpg
cargo36.jpg

The batteries are going just behind the box.
cargo35.jpg

I'm using Lexan for the battery mounting and cover, the cover will have carbon fibre vinyl on it like my other builds.
cargo39.jpg
cargo38.jpg

This is the cardboard mock-up of the cover.
cargo40.jpg
cargo41.jpg

This is the marked out cover.
cargo44.jpg

This is the plastic bender I use to bend the Lexan.
cargo42.jpg
cargo43.jpg

Here is the cover bent up but not quite finished.
cargo45.jpg
cargo47.jpg

More to come soon.

wow,
I just noticed this build today. loving it so far.

what about double bottom for batteries controller and charger? Sure it should be enough space and would be well protected.

This is new to me too. Nice workmanship.

I hope that tubing is thick, because there is a weak point in your frame at the base of the steering post. The rear of the bike is a decent truss, and the front's not bad either-- but where they join together, there's almost no bracing.

My friend Jeremy has been iterating front loaders for years now, and now he always trusses the boom tube through the middle. I think that proved to be a point of failure in unbraced versions.

Jeremy's cargo bikes

dsc_9122-copy.jpg

Chalo

Chalo said:
I hope that tubing is thick, because there is a weak point in your frame at the base of the steering post. The rear of the bike is a decent truss, and the front's not bad either-- but where they join together, there's almost no bracing.

My friend Jeremy has been iterating front loaders for years now, and now he always trusses the boom tube through the middle. I think that proved to be a point of failure in unbraced versions.

Thanks for the input. The tube is standard 1.6mm wall thickness mild steel.
This frame is very strong, the deck surround tube and the lower main tube are on different planes and act as a truss, plus the tubes that run on an angle back from the deck to the top of the steer tube act as a brace. Also the bottom tube and deck tubes are triangulated at two points along their length.

agniusm said:
what about double bottom for batteries controller and charger? Sure it should be enough space and would be well protected.
I don't understand this sentence.

I think he means a double deck on the cargo area--put the batteries and controller under there. I am considering that for mine.

I basically finished the bike last night. I just need to make a foam pad for the kids to sit on.
I took my oldest child to school this morning in the cargo bike, then went to a cafe with my two year old, fantastic fun.

cargo48.jpg
cargo49.jpg

cargo50.jpg
cargo51.jpg

cargo53.jpg
cargo52.jpg

cargo54.jpg
cargo55.jpg

How does it handle loaded up vs unlaoded, straight vs turns, slow vs fast, etc? Compared to a typical regular non-suspenison bike, at least?

Looks great! When are you putting in the sound system?

Love the cradle styled box and the fine workmanship exhibited throughout. Could easily be marketed worldwide as the ultimate in nanny cycles, and for green-minded day care centers; even industrial applications. Plenty of room also for sponsors to rent add space (Gerber, Toys R Us, Pampers, Kellogs, etc.) to help defray the cost of ownership, as well as other commercial uses (flower, pizza, plants, local delivery-you name it). I'll bet the guys on the Shark Tank Business Investors ABC TV show would like to see something like this. Forgive me for the $$s in my eyes. It's a gem, I love it! :D

amberwolf said:
How does it handle loaded up vs unlaoded, straight vs turns, slow vs fast, etc? Compared to a typical regular non-suspenison bike, at least?
It handles really well. The long wheel base provides a very smooth ride even with very hard tyres.
With no load on board it is very manoverable and corners really well. With two kids(total 35kg) and even one test ride with Aussie jester(80kg???) it's stable and easy to ride. The weight is low and easy to control, even with one child sitting to one side the handling is brilliant.
Chalo said:
Looks great! When are you putting in the sound system?
This is a good idea and may well happen.:D
The fingers said:
Love the cradle styled box and the fine workmanship exhibited throughout. Could easily be marketed worldwide as the ultimate in nanny cycles, and for green-minded day care centers; even industrial applications. Plenty of room also for sponsors to rent add space (Gerber, Toys R Us, Pampers, Kellogs, etc.) to help defray the cost of ownership, as well as other commercial uses (flower, pizza, plants, local delivery-you name it). I'll bet the guys on the Shark Tank Business Investors ABC TV show would like to see something like this. Forgive me for the $$s in my eyes. It's a gem, I love it! :D
Thank you for the very positive feedback, I agree there are many possible applications for these bikes and it's happening in Europe and bike friendly cities like Portland in the US.
Cheers,

Wow! What a beautiful, solid bike! What's wrong with you guys in Australia? Are all of you that skilled, that patient, that artistic!?? Geez, great work.

Is it possible that there are more hours in a day in the southern hemisphere? How do you find the time?

Another awesome build! I enjoyed this thread! Subscribed! :)

Tommy L sends.....
mosh.gif

Servus :)
Really nice nice built :))
I have some questions ;)
Did you weight your frame? just for reference :)
Is it TIG welded?
Are you still single? :mrgreen:
Now that you probably have some km on it. What do you think you would have make better? (if there is something ;) )
Grüß from Germany!
H.

Ok, 3 years on from finishing this cargo bike.
It has been awesome, no problems, and done about 2500km.
The family including the dog love it! I thought I would share a photo of my girls being picked up from school.

IMG_2181.jpg

1000w said:
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Good idea amberwolf, I will endeavour to do a summary post.

Thank You Kind Sir for inspiring me to attempt to build similar cargo bike. I congratulate you on the great build quality and producing great piece of kit for your family. I was wondering if you may be planning to create summary post outlining materials used and measurements of the frame. That would be most helpful. Thank you for sharing your build and it was lovely to see it completed.

Great build. If you power it well above pedal bike speeds, be careful with front wheel traction when not loaded. With the COG so rearward when not loaded loose gravel, sand, or other slick conditions can make the front wheel easily lose traction and slide out when turning.

Back