RC throttle interface build tutorial........

roblenderman said:
Not 100% sure how to set the throttle limits.

Easy. Check the manual for your ESC but usually you just...... Hold the throttle at 100%, turn on the ESC, it should beep, then turn the throttle to 0%, more beeps. Done.

Hello,
I have servotester.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8296&Product_Name=Turnigy_Servo_Tester
Also Hall sensor
I did the following
1) remove the potentiometer.
2) insert a jumper lead from the input signal pin to the potentiometer socket centre pin location.
3) reassemble and plug in your throttle.
But it did not work for me.
Testing the hall sensor give me 0,7 - 4 V
What else I can do?

Tanks

renaatdb said:
Hello,
I have servotester.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8296&Product_Name=Turnigy_Servo_Tester
Also Hall sensor
I did the following
2) insert a jumper lead from the input signal pin to the potentiometer socket centre pin location.
What else I can do?

Tanks

I could be wrong often am, but i never had any luck connecting a hall sensore effect throttle to
a servo tester, actually when Hyena was over he tried and blew up a servo tester :-| Dunno if it can be done?
I have always used Magura (pot) throttles...

KiM

AussieJester said:
renaatdb said:
Hello,
I have servotester.
Also Hall sensor
I did the following
What else I can do?

Tanks

I could be wrong often am, but i never had any luck connecting a hall sensore effect throttle to
a servo tester, actually when Hyena was over he tried and blew up a servo tester :-| Dunno if it can be done?

KiM

It really depends on the servo testers design, you will need to test by looking at the pot in the servo tester to see if both ends of the pot are connected to the rest of the circuit first, then with a voltmeter mesure the voltage across the pot if it dont read a steady 5v then its not doing to work

edit: if only 2 connections from pot to servo tester then will only work with a pot throt, if 3 connections from pot to servo tester and there is 5v across the pot then a hall throt should work.

AussieJester said:

KiM

Sure can...... read page 2 of this thread.

Would this work for the reverse order? I want to control the motor controller using a RC transmitter. I would not think so, but I'm just curious if that would work.
Sorry for the newbie question.

Yeah, I know. Just thought someone that might have done this servo tester fix would know if it works the opposite way. I am not smart enough to figure that out by myself. Figured it was a possibility to use the servo test in reverse order and have the rc signal converted into a hall effect. But anyway...

I have put to much thought into it but cant you use the servo to turn a 5k pot, should be pretty easy to sort out..

Has anyone done this for this servo tested and if so can someone give some input?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11780__Turnigy_760LV_HV_Dual_Pulse_Width_Selectable_Servo_Tester.html

thanks

Hope you can help me out here,
I am building a Stiga Snowracer with a outrunner to drive the snowracer, I am alomost finished with the mechanical side. And have the motor up and running with a servo tester,but would like to add a throttle handle so that it is easyer for the kids to ride it.

Here is the setup I have
5S Lipo connected with a Sbec that is connected to the ESC

and the throttle i would like to connect.

Question:
Where do I connect the 4 wires from the throttle ? I do not need "power indicator" on the handle so maybe I only need to connect 3 wires ?
How do I connect the Sbec if I remove this and insted connect the throttle on this side ?

I hope you understand, and can help me with this. The snow is melting fast here so I need to fix this fast :)
Here is a render of how the Snowracer should hopefully work,it is mainly designed to be used on the street with fairly hard snow.

first i would start with th ealian throttle as it only has 3 wires and these wires are obvious what goes where, unless soemone can say for sure what color wire goes where on the 4 wire throttle, one of the wire will be for th eleds on the throttle but your guess is as good as mine to which one, red = 5v black =gnd , other color = signal ( on the 3 wire throttle )

you will need to take a nice close up picture on the underneth and top of the servo tester board so someone can tell you how to wire everthing up ( or even if its possible to do with the servo tester that you have )

One thing you might consider is using a Cycle Analyst V3 with an external shunt. This would give you battery monitoring, allow you to use any throttle, and eliminate the servo tester. The CA can provide the BEC as well.

The V3 with pulse throttle output wasn't around when this thread started but is an option now. You can read about the setup procedure in this Guide. Not an inexpensive solution and maybe not something you want to get into when your time this season is so short, but if you want monitoring anyway, it might give you an integrated solution.

Not sure who you have for local distributors - Grin Tech could tell you. I know Reinhard at cycle-analyst.de is pretty close by geographically.

Just a thought...

All right, I was trying to figure out how to find this thread again. My backups failed of course, when my computer went all my links went with it, 30-40 threads here included. I'll just tell people this is probably the most useful thread for anyone interested in the RC controllers.

Slowrider said:
Hope you can help me out here,
I am building a Stiga Snowracer with a outrunner to drive the snowracer, I am alomost finished with the mechanical side. And have the motor up and running with a servo tester,but would like to add a throttle handle so that it is easyer for the kids to ride it.

Here is the setup I have
5S Lipo connected with a Sbec that is connected to the ESC

Question:
Where do I connect the 4 wires from the throttle ? I do not need "power indicator" on the handle so maybe I only need to connect 3 wires ?
How do I connect the Sbec if I remove this and insted connect the throttle on this side ?

I hope you understand, and can help me with this. The snow is melting fast here so I need to fix this fast :)

Yes a CA will be a much better option and allow so much more ( but at rather a higher cost )

I just looked back at page one of this thread and looks like someone has aready documented the details about using this servo tester http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12196

Many thanks for the feedback so far, bare with me as I am a noob when it comes to electronics.

This is where I am at right now,

I connected the ailien power throttle with black to -, red to +, and white to signal. This makes sense to me if we consider the connection digram on the Turnigy unit.
So next I need to remove the pot (we will now use the pot in the hand throttle) and make a jumper wire like hill hater described on this picture.

BUT, where do I connect the Sbec to supply the 5V for the ESC ???

Slowrider said:
Anyone that can help me with where to connect the 5V from the bec to the modded servo tester or is this just not possible ?

just connect the output ( + , gnd ) of the BEC to the + and gnd of the servo tester, you could connect to the +,gnd of the throttle input.

gwhy! said:
Slowrider said:
Anyone that can help me with where to connect the 5V from the bec to the modded servo tester or is this just not possible ?

just connect the output ( + , gnd ) of the BEC to the + and gnd of the servo tester, you could connect to the +,gnd of the throttle input.

Like this ?

Back