29mm to 35mm to 50mm -> My evolution to the Cromotor

Hey methods,

Do you know what the watt rating of this motor is?

500w 750w ?

steveo said:
Hey methods,
500w 750w ?

You joking?
Try more like 3KW... but that all depends on how you rate it I guess. The rating system of stalling a motor and driving DC current until it overheats is retarded. We need a more delicate method for rating motors based on a series of realistic loading scenarios.... kind of like how they calculate MPG.... you end up with two or three ratings depending on how it is used.

Search for CroMotor - there is a ton of data out there on it.
Dont use Justin's simulation - the power supply was not big enough so it reads way low.

-methods

we should all probably come together on a standardised way of measure/testing that we're happy with...

or go the LFP route and take a vowel of silence

Yea - you will never hear me call out a motor by its power rating. Too misleading.

Same is even true for a Power Supply... it is just a heat rating really and as soon as you strap on a fan you can double or triple the power rating.

-methods

methods said:
steveo said:
Hey methods,
500w 750w ?

You joking?
uh, yeah. :lol:

i've been really tempted to ask if charges while pedaling but have held off thus far.

handsome hardtail ya got there, methods. 24" wheels?

you might want to tuck a pillow in the back of your belt tho, to make the landing softer on your back the first couple times?

That hard tail belongs to Matthew - and I already told him to stuff a pillow down the back of his pants :mrgreen:

For myself I am sticking with the trike - smokey burnouts all day and never the uneasy feeling of the front lifting up.

-methods

Ypedal said:
smokey burnouts on a KMX..= fun ! :p

That looks like wicked fun! Gonna have to put that on the bucket list.

Come on methods where your smokey cromotor burnout, we know you want to .... Lol

steveo said:
Come on methods where your smokey cromotor burnout, we know you want to .... Lol

Evidently you missed this one?

[youtube]bjZsLkQorHE[/youtube]

And I did a burn-out in Method's house with the cromotor trike (his house is being remodeled inside).

[youtube]pDtrFr7rUA0[/youtube]

liveforphysics said:
steveo said:

Evidently you missed this one?

[youtube]bjZsLkQorHE[/youtube]

And I did a burn-out in Method's house with the cromotor trike (his house is being remodeled inside).

[youtube]pDtrFr7rUA0[/youtube]

Im looking for the smokey tire burnout over a nice maybe 50feet hehe

Ive seen em already, awsome vids

Matthew finished five 24 fet controllers
I put GizMo (the Arduino Shield) into fab today
Matthew is on the verge of ordering parts kits for our monster 6 fet run
My trike is just falling apart... toooooo muuuuuuch poooooower
Matthew put in an ebikes.ca order for V2 and V3 CA's - so we will be integrating our goodies with their goodies to make more goodies

hmmmm... My cro is still running great but my trike is just being torn apart. Luke gave me some huge tire for the back so I suspect things will get even worse when I start hooking up.

No time for the forums - every minute is going into Arduino Shield development and building my new shop.

-methods

I noticed today no more Crystalyte motors on your web site. You getting out of selling them ?
Don't need it yet , but had planned on purchasing a ht for my phasor this fall.

ohzee said:
I noticed today no more Crystalyte motors on your web site. You getting out of selling them ?
Don't need it yet , but had planned on purchasing a ht for my phasor this fall.
Maybe he's getting a new shipment in of crystalyte H40 hubmotors :mrgreen: or 5403 hubmotors? Ebikes.ca is selling them maybe he will to?

I have not seen in some time where ebikes.ca carries the HT 3525 motor. looking at their site now tho
I see some 5403's in rear 26's for sale. Rear 26 inch 5403 with Disk Side Cover 695$ Still no HT's tho.

Yea - I am pretty much done selling 9C and Crystalyte motors.
They are still profitable and people still like them... but in my opinion they are not sustainable. I think we are edging very close to the correction that is going to clobber any vendor that depends on that profit source so I have decided to move all of my resources over to developing sustainable - locally sourced - in house products that will keep us afloat during the crash.

There are a lot of companies out there living shipment to shipment... when that first container does not show up - or the duties are 20% - or the prices double - or any of a dozen other things that can go wrong in a purchase that will be it. A warehouse full of motors and throttles and batteries will do you no good without the plug and play controllers to go with them - kits wont ship.

We are choosing to voluntarily "go broke now" while the waters are still calm. The wife and I stopped taking our phd welfare (high paying government jobs), we are trying to stop profiting off of non-sustainable things (like flipping Chinese stuff), and we have worked very hard to lower our monthly overhead (like moving into an abandoned trailer in the woods, sharing internet, dropping cell phone contracts, giving up our house, etc)

I firmly believe that a currency correction is on the horizon
Those of use who create value and are an asset to our community will weather the storm fine
Those of us who are willfully ignorant will be hit hard

So
For better or worse... we are imposing austerity on ourselves so as to acclimate. Like dipping your feet in the pool instead of getting thrown in by a bully.

oh yea... we still intend to do some business with the CroMotors and other things that qualify as "value added" parts... i.e. cheap stuff that passes through the hands of several people - spreading the work and wealth. Another example are the 24 fet boards... The producer makes a little, they Keywin makes a little, then we add value and make a little, then steve over at Jozztek can sell them and make a little. I justify this by the fact that we all add a little value along the way - instead of relying only on the trade imbalance.

-methods

I wish you luck. When you have something I need or want you are my vendor of preference.. then ebikes.ca then others.

Mostly just based on where people are in the world in relation to myself and how much they help out here.

temped to get one of your boards also. been waiting to see how that first batch works out.

We are choosing to voluntarily "go broke now" while the waters are still calm. The wife and I stopped taking our phd welfare (high paying government jobs), we are trying to stop profiting off of non-sustainable things (like flipping Chinese stuff), and we have worked very hard to lower our monthly overhead (like moving into an abandoned trailer in the woods, sharing internet, dropping cell phone contracts, giving up our house, etc)

Those of use who create value and are an asset to our community will weather the storm fine
\

Cleverest thing I have seen on the internet for a long while.

methods said:
Yea - I am pretty much done selling 9C and Crystalyte motors.
They are still profitable and people still like them... but in my opinion they are not sustainable. I think we are edging very close to the correction that is going to clobber any vendor that depends on that profit source so I have decided to move all of my resources over to developing sustainable - locally sourced - in house products that will keep us afloat during the crash.

There are a lot of companies out there living shipment to shipment... when that first container does not show up - or the duties are 20% - or the prices double - or any of a dozen other things that can go wrong in a purchase that will be it. A warehouse full of motors and throttles and batteries will do you no good without the plug and play controllers to go with them - kits wont ship.

So
For better or worse... we are imposing austerity on ourselves so as to acclimate. Like dipping your feet in the pool instead of getting thrown in by a bully.

oh yea... we still intend to do some business with the CroMotors and other things that qualify as "value added" parts... i.e. cheap stuff that passes through the hands of several people - spreading the work and wealth. Another example are the 24 fet boards... The producer makes a little, they Keywin makes a little, then we add value and make a little, then steve over at Jozztek can sell them and make a little. I justify this by the fact that we all add a little value along the way - instead of relying only on the trade imbalance.

-methods

Mate.. the above suggests to me you're a legend with your head screwed on right...

thanks for what you do and yer no BullShit attitude :) FWIW i'm trying to do the same kinda thing in my own small way here in AUS.. (not flipping chinese products, but adding, bettering, and trying to source local... pretty small-time compared to yourself, and haven't even started properly on the electronics side...) As an aside, I grew up as a survivalist (gun-toting hippy) in a remote old abandoned gold-mining area in Victoria Aus, as my pares kinda pre-empted some serious malaise a la currency crash... they were I beleive but a generation too soon, even if shit doesn't hit the fan as hard as you suspect, your austerity n assosciated stuff will do nothing but good for yourself n yours in the long run... in my totally unhumble opinion...

Joe

edit... written as I am making money from shorting the crap outta the stock market tonight... cos I'm an asshole like that.

Since I have brought the trike out of retirement I have been looking for that ridiculous MethTek.com Video that Matthew and I made.

The one where we claimed to be eating "Solder Chips" . . .

Best I could come up with was some raw footage (edited by TD back in the day)

[youtube]0KzNFqysBFU[/youtube]

If anyone has the "MethTek.com" Video... I would really appreciate it. At one point in time all of my data was deleted.

As far as the trike today?

Well... testament to the original 9C quality...
I put the very first 9C motor I bought (from Justin, back when they were shiny) on the back of the Tadpole. That might not sound that interesting... except for the fact that I had spread the forks to take the CroMotor + Torque arms. What... maybe 160mm? Now I squished it back down to 100mm - to retrofit a front hub into the back.

Anyway

I am slowly getting back to where I was.
A few more paychecks... and maybe I can have a respectable bike again.

Who knows. Only my accountant :roll:

-methods

Matt says he has the raw footage that made up the original MethTek video.
That will do I suppose.

Its weird. . .
When we grew out of Floppy disks and Zip Drives the raw stackup of data became unmanageable. I would guess that over the last 20 years I have lost 2 USB drives (to corruption) and at least 5 hard drives.

Backing up...
Of ONLY the interesting bits...
I now see as an important discipline.

Because once its gone - its gone.

All you have left are the memories
And it has been proven that every time you pull those out
They corrupt

-methods

Oh yea - forgot why I raised this thread from the dead.

I need a CroMotor or equivalent for my trike.
Of course I want used
Of course I could care less about scratches and dings and dead halls and rubbed wires.

Ideally I would like one in the flavor of John Holmes -
Laced into a motorcycle rim

As the bike tires cant hold down the torque
I want to FEEL it... no burnouts... just rubber pulling on road :shock:

Been "Bat mobile'ing" it around Santa Cruz quite a bit. Even a decade later people act like they have never seen a KMX trike :roll:

No wonder it is taking folks so long to realize that there are Walkers,
There are bikers,
There are drivers....

But there is a whole different class out there

Not mopeds
Not motorcycles

They are quiet
They are quick

They have 8" disk brakes and a 20 mile range....

They weigh only a few hundred pounds with rider

They dont really belong on the road with the 3 kilo-pound cars
They dont really belong on the sidewalk -
or do they?

Well...

The walkers think they OWN the sidewalk
The drivers think they OWN the road
They seem to both think that "it was so it shall be"

lol

Well....

If that is the way we are looking at it...

I own both the road and the sidewalk.
I am not a walker, a bike, a car, a motorcycle, a moped, or a "Motor Vehicle"

Maybe I am a segway
Maybe I am a pedal assist
Maybe I am bionic...

All I know... is that we are just starting to wrap our minds around the change necessary to embrace lithium into our daily lives as THE mainstream.

Gas Stations die

Oil investors go broke

Infrastructure changes... cars drive themselves... more people adopt electric assist...

its coming
er... no...
Its HERE

lol

The never ending Wild West is what it feels like

... I keep waiting for people to change as fast as those on the cutting edge are ...
It aint happening

so
Looks like its on to the next generation

... Its working here in Santa Cruz ...
Kids all over the place on Jump Bikes

They are hooked
Its like kRacK!

... Once you go E-Bike, you never go back

-methods

If you poke through the definitions in your state's motor vehicle code, I think you'll find that you ride a motorcycle. It may not meet all the requirements of a motorcycle, but that's the category it can be made to fit without disabling it.

Hi Methods,

If you still need the Cromotor, I can send you mine if you take the delivery costs + whatever you can spare. It's laced into a SAS HALO 24" rim, which might suffice for your purposes.

KR, Henk

Back