Greyborg & HS3540

sanford

1 W
Hi all,
Been a bit a of lurker over the past year or two. Living in South Hertfordhsire in the UK.
I originally planned a MXUS Carrea Banshee (Kona Stinky clone) build, however the wife needed that motor for her bike as she changed jobs and does not drive. So I put this together;

12s2p Lipo in the bag and controller attached to the underside of the rack. Works quite well, around 25mph or so top speed.

I have no frabrication skills, no knowledge of electrics and cannot really solder, just used one of them mini blow torch things to do the harness etc.

So, as the wife "stole" my motor and batteries, I was on the look out for a replacement and lucky for me I was able to buy Spacey's Greyborg frame and forks, Lyen Sensorless Controller plus HS3450 and Magic Pie. Only picked it up the other weekend as I was unable to get down before that. Thanks Spacey for the great deal.

dscf4320t.jpg

imag0112cm.jpg

So just now need to get it built up. I dont have a massive budget so will be trying to do this as easy and cheap as possible probably using second hand parts where I can.

Purchased so far just the tyres (2x DMR Moto Diggers) and tubes they are on there way from chain reaction.
Still to buy; Brakes, front and rear. Rear mech and chain. Throttle and Grips. Also Batteries - Hobbyking Lipo - Either 18s or maybe 24s and a bulk charger. Plus need to work out how and where to mount the batteries as well.

Not sure if I will try to build the Magic pie into a wheel myself or get someone else to do it, anyone in the UK estimate how much it might cost to get someone to do it? And should I go for a 24" or 26" wheel?

if you just got the tyres and working on budget best to go with the wheel size the same size as the tyres i have had 24" and 26" wheels depends how tall you are i like 26" my self as i use my bike for work and a 26" wheel you will get a little bit more miles to your battery runs down i am in the uk and found local bike shops cost about £20 labour to spoke a wheel i used 13gauge stainless steel spokes if you are going to use the magic pie motor what are you going to do with the HS3450 as if you are thinking of selling it let me have the 1st offer as i am looking for one for my build
as for spokes go to ebay.co.uk and look for Item number: 280789962366 thay are £8.99 for 36 free p&p
ps i have some 24" and some 26" rims that will look fab on that frame thay are 3" wide fatboy rims i have them in 32 hole rim and 36 hole rim i am using a set of 26" x 3" with 26 x 2.7 tyres and loving every minit thay are double track very strong and soke up the uk potholes with no problem
keep us updated with you build
ps let me know about the motor thanks roger

Thanks guys.

Roger - No plans to sell right now, want to try both out on the bike, but if I need funds to finish the build will let you know.
Thanks for the info on the spokes. I think I sent you message on pinkbike yesterday about your bike/rims. Have you got any links to pics of you bike and wheels?

i dont have any photos of my bike at the moment its all in bits as moving house soon
but to give you some idear the wheels on this link are the same
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=32950&p=556780&hilit=phaser#p556780
plus i have seen them on here on the same grayborg frame as yours so thay will fit ok have a look at the greyborg bikes on here as some have them on there bikes then you can get to see what it will look like

ah it was YOU that swiped that Greyborg, I think I was about 10 minutes later than you, look forward to seeing how this one goes, good luck

rim? go with a Halo combat rim, available in 24" or 26" probably the best budget downhill rim, designed to take huge impacts at speed as it's for downhill, think they are about 30 quid, worth it though. For spokes use an online calculator to work out how long they need to be as you will know the size of the rim and hub and lace it up yourself. I got my spokes from Newtonsportec in china, about £25 quid delivered for some thick 12g spokes and nipples. Loads of guides on youtube about how to lace a wheel.

As for tires, the diggers are good I use them myself but they burn down pretty fast as they are very soft compound, the side walls are also very thin so high speed cornering can get a bit scary, for road use you cant beat the Maxxis hookworm tires, double the price but you get reinforced side walls, I have 2000 miles on my hookworms and they are going strong.

Also ( sorry to spam this thread ) but if you are after things like brakes and stuff, I highly recommend buying a donor bike. I bought a carerra banshee dead cheap off gumtree the other day with a mashed up frame for pennies, It had Tektro twin pot hydraulic brakes and a Rock Shox Recon fork worth more than what I paid for the bike. Hunt around for a donor you can pull all the components off for your Greyborg as it will ultimately be cheaper. I'm in the same boat as you, building as much as I can for as little money as possible!

ROG130 said:
i dont have any photos of my bike at the moment its all in bits as moving house soon
but to give you some idear the wheels on this link are the same
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=32950&p=556780&hilit=phaser#p556780
plus i have seen them on here on the same grayborg frame as yours so thay will fit ok have a look at the greyborg bikes on here as some have them on there bikes then you can get to see what it will look like

They do look really good on that phasor. Will have a look through the Greyborg threads for ideas.

nonlineartom said:
ah it was YOU that swiped that Greyborg, I think I was about 10 minutes later than you, look forward to seeing how this one goes, good luck

Yes sorry mate, right place right time for once :) - Hope I can do it justice.

nonlineartom said:
rim? go with a Halo combat rim, available in 24" or 26" probably the best budget downhill rim, designed to take huge impacts at speed as it's for downhill, think they are about 30 quid, worth it though. For spokes use an online calculator to work out how long they need to be as you will know the size of the rim and hub and lace it up yourself. I got my spokes from Newtonsportec in china, about £25 quid delivered for some thick 12g spokes and nipples. Loads of guides on youtube about how to lace a wheel. As for tires, the diggers are good I use them myself but they burn down pretty fast as they are very soft compound, the side walls are also very thin so high speed cornering can get a bit scary, for road use you cant beat the Maxxis hookworm tires, double the price but you get reinforced side walls, I have 2000 miles on my hookworms and they are going strong.

Thanks, I may give it a go myself. Will try and work out what size spoke I need to get.
Yeah Spacey said the Hookworms were the tyres to get, I did want to save a few quid plus from August my commute will drop from 6 miles one way down to 1.3 miles, so will prob be doing more miles off road.

nonlineartom said:
Also ( sorry to spam this thread ) but if you are after things like brakes and stuff, I highly recommend buying a donor bike. I bought a carerra banshee dead cheap off gumtree the other day with a mashed up frame for pennies, It had Tektro twin pot hydraulic brakes and a Rock Shox Recon fork worth more than what I paid for the bike. Hunt around for a donor you can pull all the components off or your Greyborg as it will ultimately be cheaper. I'm in the same boat as you, building as much as I can for as little money as possible!

No, it's not spam, good to have input, thanks for taking the time. Good point about a donor bike, will get on gumtree tonight and take a look. Cheers.

I've just set up an alert on eBay for anything with "bike" in the title within a 15 mile range, you'd be amazed how many decent bikes get listed as just "bike" and nothing else so no one ever finds them, some proper bargains to be had.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

nonlineartom said:
I've just set up an alert on eBay for anything with "bike" in the title within a 15 mile range, you'd be amazed how many decent bikes get listed as just "bike" and nothing else so no one ever finds them, some proper bargains to be had.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

Will set up an alert too, dont worry I'm miles away from you lol........
....I'm down in South Hertfordshire........anyone else down here?

Well finally! (Two little kids (2 & 3 yrs old) keeping me busy) I'm now up and running at last...............

................ lovin it. Running 18s2p right now, but might try 24s2p next week.

How about some details and figures like top speed, cruising speeds and distance covered?

Looks excellent!

Tom

sanford said:
Well finally! (Two little kids (2 & 3 yrs old) keeping me busy) I'm now up and running at last...............

................ lovin it. Running 18s2p right now, but might try 24s2p next week.

Looks awesome!!

I bought the same tires and want to know how they hold up, please give us your feedback.

Thanks guys.

Only at about 50 miles right now. Still taking it fairly easy checking it's all bolted together fine. Don't have a CA or Speedict yet, and the crappy computer I have on there right now is useless. Will get a phone mount soon. Phone in my back pack keeps losing GPS but it did measure top speed so far at around 33mph. No helmet and quickly running out of road where I live has stopped me pushing it any further. The bike feels really stable and handles well. I am going to get some single crown forks and give them a try I think. The current turning circle with dual crowns and the covers is fairly wide.

One of the side covers is screwed/fixed on and I am using the velcro straps you see in the picture to hold the other side on. This works really well and I will stick with this until I decide on what voltage to finally run.

Will let you know how the tyres hold up as the weeks pass.

Now I need to get a rim + spokes and try out that magic pie.........

Thanks! Both bikes still pretty much the same. I'm off the road at the minute (good timing with the snow) as I sold my sensorless HS3540 and have a new HS3540 now with Halls that I need to fit to the Greyborg. Also have a set of black bars to replace the white ones on the way.

Picked up a Felt Little Bastard Cruiser the other week. Plan was to install a rear motor and make it my daily commuter, however dropouts are 110mm wide and the frame is aluminium.........so need to have a think about it.......

That was on eBay right? lovely looking bike, thought it was steel not alloy.

I've got a alloy beach cruiser I'm selling if you were interested. 135mm dropouts and disk mounts, not disimilar body style to this felt.

Hey Tom, I did not see one ebay? I got it from Gumtree for £90! Which despite being aluminium, was I think a steal!

Not sure which way to go now, either; modify a motor I have to fit, keep it stock as its a nice bike, or sell it on.......and keep looking for a Basman, just jumped on this cos the price was good.
I've seen your build thread on your cruiser, that and the Basman cruisers from voltage cycles etc inspired me to try and do my own. Thanks for the offer, will have to decide what to do with this one as the missus will kill me if I get another bike/frame :roll:

Back