Battery Packs - Where to buy them

dogman said:
Was refering to the limn, sold at electricrider. Boppinbobs post above says 150 amps from a 20 ah pack, thats 7.5c. But I see no such claim on electricriders site, nor any identification of the cell manufacturer or the c rate. I know there are good cells out there, but if they don't want to say they are the good stuff.... ?

I just like some claims for c rates so we can divide them in half and have a clue. Hey Bob, has anybody reviewed that electricrider limn?

:oops: I was not quite in tune here.... so sorry Dogman! :oops:

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

You could do what I've considered doing by taking 2 36v allcell packs and wire them in a series to get 72v. That would be the lightest option for you. 10 lbs I think.

I'm still wondering why these are no good ?

http://www.bmsbattery.com/packs/427-48v-10ah-38120-lifepo4-battery-16-cells-ebike-battery-pack.html

knighty said:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/packs/427-48v-10ah-38120-lifepo4-battery-16-cells-ebike-battery-pack.html

I don't know if Headway can discharge that fast. I heard 4C max and 2C max if you want it to last long. This man 40A max or 20A or less if you want it to run reliably.

mvly said:
knighty said:

I don't know if Headway can discharge that fast. I heard 4C max and 2C max if you want it to last long. This man 40A max or 20A or less if you want it to run reliably.

there's 2 choices

30-60amp discharge pack for $499
or
50-100amp for $519

half the reason I'm asking is.... I just bought one :)

Knighty check all cells for voltage and make sure there are all balanced before use. Buy a single cell charger to bring up low cells is needed befor you go for a long ride this large AH cells need to be balance to the same level to start with or befor your ride for battery balance, Maybe a voltspheres single charger to bring up a low cell as it stops at 3.65v and is good to have for a headway pack. Start with a good balance pack.

999zip999 said:
Knighty check all cells for voltage and make sure there are all balanced before use. Buy a single cell charger to bring up low cells is needed befor you go for a long ride this large AH cells need to be balance to the same level to start with or befor your ride for battery balance, Maybe a voltspheres single charger to bring up a low cell as it stops at 3.65v and is good to have for a headway pack. Start with a good balance pack.
Ummmmmm..... I think that is a "Voltfreaks/Voltphreaks" charger. I have 2 of them for // 4 amps charge of A123 20AH cells.
otherDoc
edit : Yep Voltphreaks!

I am selling my hardcase 4s lipo pack pack 84v off the charger and 74v nominal. Its in the for sale section. 600 for just the pack 750 for the pack charger and PSU... just a thought if you want to venture into lipo. Pack had the pack 2 months and less than 10 cycles so i would consider it virgin.... its on flea bay also... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261099245991 Ignore the buy it now price. Put in an offer at the price mentioned here if you are intrested.

999zip999 said:

so... how do I charge them individually when they come all in one pack ?

will the balance leads let me do this ?

I bought the 600watt charger from bmsbattery too... but reading on here they're not great and die pretty quick (damn)

is there a charger which can charge the whole pack as 1 ?

I'd like to be able to fix the charger to the bike, so I can charge it wherever I am

I see nothing wrong with that bms battery choice. Some people, including the originator of this thread just aren't thrilled with bms batterys communication, shipping time, etc.

Right Doc I was just made the voltsphere name up some how ? But a single cell charger is helpful with balance and shuts off at 3.65v. The 600w charger is fine as a bulk charger. Just not for throwing around in a backpack.

I generally advise against that. Your controller is assembled assuming it will be bolted to the bike, and suffer vibration. Your charger is assembled assuming it will sit on a shelf or table. If you must carry a charger, I advise a smaller lighter cheaper one, and carry it in a pack or messenger bag to minimize road shocks.

You could try to vibration proof a charger better of course. One thing to consider about a big charger, is where is there a plug with enough amps left on the circuit to use it. A 600w charger won't make friends of the guy at the quick mart, if you blow the breaker on his Ice freezer. You might look at 300w for the on the road chargers.

hi, i rode about your troubles; its easy tu buy A 123 cells , built and assembly in pack´s, bms are cheaps, 2 x 36v, 20 amps in serie and some diodes to avoid to burn the fet´s. if you like i can built for you, i send you a cotation if you like; send me more info about your needs , there are beautifull a 123 pouch 20 amp, too. . better prices and easy to find are the lifepo4, you find out a lot in e-bay.

If you are looking for something different, I have Three (3) choices for you at
http://www.rawvelocity.com in the LiFePO4.

1st ... if you like to build and put your own pack together (you must learn to condition and balance these for best capacity use) 3.2v/8ah per cell
2nd.... is A123... keep them in their ABS cases with vibration protection, or take them out to save space. 4s3p and 4s4p 13.8v/6.9 or 9.2ah
3rd.....is A123... you can Bulk charge these as they have a built in VMS 4s3p and 4s4p 13.8v/6.9 or 9.2ah

Tommy L sends..,.. \\m//

7161720097_99a56aa369_m.jpg
7161159852_4c26bb4740_m.jpg

7155905147_a5a590e4aa_m.jpg
7155903543_61e81348ea_m.jpg
7341106954_c636c6c25c_m.jpg

8002773511_0d744c32e0_m.jpg

999zip999 said:
Is this your first ebike ?
I currently have an E-Bike this would be an upgrade.
My current build has a 48v 15ah Ping Battery with a BMS
and a Cheap no name 1000 watt motor.
It goes 27-30 MPH

I want to join the 40mph + Club.

Yes I know I'll probably blow the engine or the controller but I'll be ready to replace them in a short while anyway.

This one is in my price range but I know nothing about the company, and the salesman is crappy.
http://www.lifepo4.in/72v10ah-.html

It's only 10ah but that's ok most of the time I'll be at 30mph and only bursting to 40 for short stretches.

boppinbob said:
If you've got 1800.00 bucks to spare you can pick up a safe and stable high capacity 20AH 150 amp continuous Lithium Manganese plug and play Sony manufactured 72 volt battery from Electricrider.com or you can string together some lipos from HK but read up on them first.
Nope don't have $1,800 to spend, thanks for the suggestion.

I do have a mechanic that can build me the battery if I buy the parts but it's a maze.

knighty said:
mvly said:
knighty said:

there's 2 choices

30-60amp discharge pack for $499
or
50-100amp for $519

half the reason I'm asking is.... I just bought one :)

Please tell me how it goes. This is one that seems Ok and is in my price range.

Tommy L said:
If you are looking for something different, I have Three (3) choices for you at
http://www.rawvelocity.com in the LiFePO4....
2nd.... is A123... keep them in their ABS cases with vibration protection, or take them out to save space. 4s3p and 4s4p 13.8v/6.9 or 9.2ah
A123 Motorcycle Start Battery
12.8V nominal 9.2 amp hour (18 amp hour Pb Eq).
The Battery pack is assembled from original A123System Cells 26650
4S4P configuration
High discharge rate * No memory effect * Environment Friendly
$189.95
Tommy L sends..,.. \\m//
So to yield a 36V 20AH pack, you'd need 6 of these, 3S2P at $189.95 pop, so $1139.70 complete, right? Fair market value for a new genuine A123 pack. Just saying that's part of the reason I built one myself using the AMP20 cells, the salvage from Victpower and using Agnius' kit. That cost me about $500, including the shipping to USofA. The kit makes it easy. Two of these for 72V.

I quoted tomz 486 without charger and 630 with charge basically for the cheapest assembled Hobbyking setup+shipping. Up to 250A peak discharge if needed. 72v 10AH 18s 66v Nominal.

I use Hobby King Lipo. Im thinking a 66v 15AH pack its 75.6 off the charger and 66v nominal. The 15AH pack should get you 20 miles If you are very aggressive then it will only get you 15.

413.00 42.66 x 9 6s Turnigy 20C Lipo 18lbs can peak up to 300A if needed.
546.00 42.66 x 12 6s Turnigy 20C Lipo 24lbs can pack up to 400A if needed.

Those are the shipped prices from the USA warehouse. That cost is not negotiable.

I charge $10 per pack to cycle the packs and verify the capacity and make sure the cells are solid. This is about 2 hours of work for each pack if you were to do it yourself.You have to verify the cell voltages before the first initial charge charge balance discharge and charge each pack. There might be additional cycles if a pack is questionable still a flat rate 10 per pack. It takes time. I can do this much faster than you could i have 300w discharge resistors vs the 40-80w discharge power of standard chargers.

$90 15AH
$120 20AH

My harness cost depending on which pack you choose.

110 for the 66v 15AH pack
140 for the 66 20AH pack Includes everything you need to charge and plug the battery into your controller. Custom fit. Fuse and precharge. Also Alarms are included.

Charger is 120. This price is negotiable for a less capeable.
Power Supply is 45. Not negotiable

Shipping for finish product can be 20-40 dollars depending services selected.

$778 72v 15AH pack
$971 72v 20AH pack

A less capeable ping battery is
1244$ for 72v 20AH 40-60A max
1066 for 72v 15AH 30-45A max

BUY EBAY BATTERIES AT YOUR OWN RISK. THEY ARE GARBAGE. I Use Paypal and will send you an invoice. You will get reciepts from all my purchases on your behalf. You also get battery discharge data so you know that each pack was tested and verified. Basically you get a battery that simply works. Im trusted on the forum. There will be some work on your part. BMS are nice but they are death traps for your battery sometimes. Simple monitoring on your part is whats needed to keep a battery alive. Use a cycle analyst. Program a conservative LVC on your controller and Cycle analyst. Use the provided lipo buzzers if you must drain your pack completely. Try not to use more than 70-80% of your pack capacity. All the capacity is there but there is virtually no risk if you dont take your pack to grave. If you drag it down every completely every cycle you risk damaging your pack.

I can split the pack and make it into any shape that you want the more elaborate you make your setup the more complications you possibly create for yourself when charging and discharging your pack.

I just gave a rock bottom quote for 686 for an 84v 10AH pack w 200w BC168 charger. I would like 727 to get a better premodded Server PSU

icecube57 said:
I just gave a rock bottom quote for 686 for an 84v 10AH pack w 200w BC168 charger. I would like 727 to get a better premodded Server PSU

I'm very interested in Ice Cubes Package, but I have newbie type of questions
1. Will I be able to charge all the Packs at the same time.
2. If I wanted to go a little larger maybe 12ah or 15ah how much more
3. I have a 1000watt generic Brushless motor and a standard 48V Controller I've been told will take a 60v but not sure about 72V
Do I need to buy a more advanced controller that will regulate Watts and Amps
or do I need to buy a Cycle Analyst
or both
4. Possibly some opinions on the 72V controller would be appreciated.
5. Does the $727.00 package include a charger that also balances.
6. On the setup I described with 10ah what should my range be at not full out but maybe
34 mph with occasional bursts of over 40mph
7. Unless I buy an extra charger my longest route will be 12 miles round trip to work.
For a frame of reference my 48v 15ah Battery does 19 miles pretty much floored the whole way. Which is around 27-29mph

So what will a 84v 10ah hour pack do in comparison.

tomzgreat said:
icecube57 said:

I'm very interested in Ice Cubes Package, but I have newbie type of questions
1. Will I be able to charge all the Packs at the same time.
2. If I wanted to go a little larger maybe 12ah or 15ah how much more
3. I have a 1000watt generic Brushless motor and a standard 48V Controller I've been told will take a 60v but not sure about 72V
Do I need to buy a more advanced controller that will regulate Watts and Amps
or do I need to buy a Cycle Analyst
or both
4. Possibly some opinions on the 72V controller would be appreciated.
5. Does the $727.00 package include a charger that also balances.
6. On the setup I described with 10ah what should my range be at not full out but maybe
34 mph with occasional bursts of over 40mph
7. Unless I buy an extra charger my longest route will be 12 miles round trip to work.
For a frame of reference my 48v 15ah Battery does 19 miles pretty much floored the whole way. Which is around 27-29mph

So what will a 84v 10ah hour pack do in comparison.

Your 48v controller will barely take 60v. To run 72v-84v You WILL need a 72v controller. If you get a 72v controller get one from lyen. You can can purchase a program cable that you change settings to have it pull more or less current. Typical 72v controllers are 72v 45A.

The pack I will make should be able to 40-60A peak. If you need it to be more capeable I can make it 100+A I just have to change some connectors out.

The BC168 charger... It charges and balances at the same time.

Under worse case senario the 84v 10AH pack with a 72v 45A uses about 1Ah a mile. So 10 miles. If you back off the speed to about 30-35mph bit you can easily stretch that pack 15-25 miles depending on how agressive you are. Seems like you possibly need a 15AH pack so you arent taking the pack to the grave every day. Leaving a little bit left in the pack will go a long way in extending the cycle life.

You will be able to charge all the packs at the same time.

18s Complete Kit
582 + SHipping72v 10AH pack
778 + Shipping 72v 15AH pack
$971+ Shipping 72v 20AH pack
20s
951+ Shipping for 84v 15AH pack
Price is slighly flexible maybe by 30-40$ by skimping on a few things... I dont advise tho lol

Apparently the best deal overall i the 72v 20AH pack.

I'm veering towards the 84v 15ah Pack
What would the weight and dimensions be.

A lot of people are saying that I'm veering towards the Dark Side with your setup.
My opinion:
I'm thinking that using the quality balance charger. Buying a Lyon Controller and having it programmed for
the right Voltages and 45 Amps Output, and an accurate Cut off current. In addition having a professional like you put it together with the right components that it should be pretty safe.

What do you think?

tomzgreat said:
I'm veering towards the 84v 15ah Pack
What would the weight and dimensions be.

A lot of people are saying that I'm veering towards the Dark Side with your setup.
My opinion:
I'm thinking that using the quality balance charger. Buying a Lyon Controller and having it programmed for
the right Voltages and 45 Amps Output, and an accurate Cut off current. In addition having a professional like you put it together with the right components that it should be pretty safe.

What do you think?

The pack Im going to build would be very similar to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfQ7homv_84 If you cant do everything in this video then we have a problem If you can we are golden.
160mm long x 149mm wide x 144 tall roughly

Your ping battery specs are 300x105x150 mm

Back