XPD: open-source keywin e-bike lab replacement

I need a profile for a 6 Fet Lyen controller. The board is EB306 but the tag says to use a EB312 profile. I have just purchased and installed the controller and it work fine. However there is no 6 Fet EB312 profile in the software I downloaded. I have not been able to get a response from Lyen. I am reluctant to make a change until I can see a logical profile first. I do not use the preset speed settings.

If you're talking about the "Parameter Designer" software, it seems you have downloaded the old version of it.
You may search for a newer version, with support for EB3xx controller series.
This thread is about an alternative software, which supports EB3xx series, but the EB3xx support is now in the testing stage.
For guaranteed results you might want to use the "Parameter Designer" software, which is not covered here.

Sorry to come in so late on this thread. I have a need to program a 3xx board. Been though the thread and have the XPD.3 loaded fine. I am confused though. With this latest version can I use my Lyen 2xx programming cable or do I need something else now?

Kepler said:
Sorry to come in so late on this thread. I have a need to program a 3xx board. Been though the thread and have the XPD.3 loaded fine. I am confused though. With this latest version can I use my Lyen 2xx programming cable or do I need something else now?
You need different cable for 3xx, or modification to Lyens cable. Have no acces to pictures of the differences till tusday but try to ask zombies or neilp.

Kepler, you need an adapter cable like mine:
infineon-2-to-3-cable-adapter.jpg

You connect the right end of the cable with your programmer, and insert the left end into the controller. The wire marked with red must connect with the red cable on programmer & controller. The opposite ends of the flat cable are connected together and connect both to the bottom contact of the right connector (just in case it's not obvious from the photo).

Ok - I used this software and it is great. My intention here was to lay down a post with a rewording of the install... the original post makes it sound a little harder than it is and I am afraid that is scaring off a few folks. All you need is one link... you just have to do is go to the code depository and download two files - the prerequisite files and the XPD (both zip). Inside the prereq there are three executables that you run in the order posted. Then you can just dip into the XPD folder and run it.

But.. when I went to go get links they all appear to be dead (though they were working yesterday). I know this may make the developer cringe but I am going to post up an independent snap-shot on my server just in case things disappear (which has happened way too many times over the years). I also compressed everything into one single zip and labeled the software programs FIRST, SECOND, and THIRD since it confuses the shit out of me to install those version numbers out of order :mrgreen:

So look... this is how easy it is:

1) Download this single zip file: methods super retarded easy XPS install version

EDIT: Dont use that one for my controller, overshoot window is not set correct in defaults - use this

2) Extract it and look at what is inside - should look like this:

XPD_SCREENSHOT.jpg

3) Install the three files in the order shown (you can delete them when you are done)

4) Open the XPD folder and run the program

Dude... Easy right?
You might have some USB driver issues but I don't at the moment so good luck finding those on your own.

NOTE: Programming is not 100% clear cut - you have to know what you are programming, what R12 is set to, etc. Assume nothing... so if you are having trouble my best advice is to set LVC all the way down to 10V. If you are using a LYEN tune on a stock controller I suspect he is already compensating for the R12 mod... so if you set LVC where you want it you may end up getting it like 30V higher than you expect. That is something I ran into.

In the end I think I ended up starting with an 18 fet tune and converting it over to a 24 fet and that worked. Have not played with it enough to determine what was hanging me up... but when you are sitting on a 13KW trike one tends to get a little impatient :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anyhow much respect and a thousand thanks to anpaza for supplying this amazing software... just the simple touch of describing what functions do when you hover over them makes things so much better... if there is anything I can do in thanks let me know.

And FYI folks... that link I have is just a snapshot in time. If you follow his links you will get his latest source version which is usually a good idea. :wink:

-methods

Anpaza- Just wanted to say thank you for your awesome work. A fantastic gift to the ebike community.

Thank you!
-Luke

Okay, here is the 0.3.1 release.

https://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12389

If 0.3.0 alpha works for you, there's no need to upgrade. The changes in 0.3.1 compared to 0.3.0a are minimal.

Download the archive for your OS (e.g. xpd-0.3.1-windows.zip for Windows, xpd_0.3.1-1ubuntu1_all.deb for Ubuntu) and install just like previous versions.

I generally use Windows, but seeing tbe various versions of build you have available, I wonder if any are suitable for a Mac, and how to install on it

Anyone put this on a Mac yet?

ah ok , so python based. i forgot that. so need to read up on how to run python..cheers

Ah shit

Code:
Bon-Air-Mac-Pro:~ neil$ python /Volumes/User\ Folders/Users/neil/Downloads/xpd-0.3.0/xpd.pyw 
FATAL: This program requires PySerial to run
Nah, not for me..supposedly already has python installed, but looks like lots of command line stuff needed to do to get it to work, for something that is not that important for me
http://jessenoller.com/2009/03/16/so-you-want-to-use-python-on-the-mac/
http://www.python.org/getit/mac/
http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/starting/install/osx/

have tried a few things and as you found it just dumps you in to a text box.

Until someone comes up with an easy instal Mac dmg, then it is dead to me on mac. I don't have a mac laptop, and can't get the bike near the home mac, so not a real issue, jsut would ahve been nice to have it..but not worth hours of research

I did actually start fiddling with it, and did do the pgsyserial, then it asked for psyGTK...then it ran but no serial was selectable.

Need someone with more knowledge to create compete package for Mac to do a one click install from a dmg

The problem could be with XPD.

On POSIX operating systems (which includes McOS) the module that scans for available serial ports is xpdm/scan_posix.py

So far it looks only for devices named "/dev/ttyUSB*", which is true for Linux but most likely is not true for Mcs.
If you find out how the serial port devices are named on McOS, you can try to edit scan_posix.py and add the mask for Mc serial devices.
For example, if on McOS serial devices happens to be named /dev/USBSerialAdapter* , you should change the line:

for port in sorted (glob.glob('/dev/ttyUSB*')):

into:

for port in sorted (glob.glob('/dev/ttyUSB*') + glob.glob('/dev/USBSerialAdapter*')):

Then you will see your serial ports in the drop-down combobox. Whether they will really work depends if PySerial you succeeded to install can 'talk' to McOS serial ports.

Thanks for the input, but not even going to try...it is something I do not even need. have jsut spent since 0600, to now, 2010, trying to get a new NAS4Free box up and running. Decided it is time to stop..I just kicked the front panel clean off the front of the chassis of the tower case. utterly sick of frocking computers today. The bloody thing runs for as long as you leave it, but as soon as you actually try and sue the fcukign thing,like add hard drives, configure shares and run backup, well give it half anhour and ths shitting thing has kernel panics and the ^%^R%&E%Y%W thing shuts down.....aaaaagggh

If I have time to futz with it, I'll give it a go, because it would be handy to be able to use my imac (which is relatively portable) rather than dragging the whole CrazyBike2 into the bedroom with the PC, or taking the controller off (which would require cutting wires as the halls are soldered since the connectors gave me too much grief).

If I figure out a neat way to do it I can upload the bits here.

I just tried this application for the first time today on my 2WD:

• The first controller (vintage 2011 road trip) flashed fine.
  • The second returned "Upload failed: Invalid reply byte 'ce'". For the life of me I could not get it to accept even the default configuration.
I pulled out my tried-&-trusted Parameter Designer for Infineon 116 and loaded up the old faithful file, and no-joy; won’t flash, and won’t give an error code with that app... it just sits there Waiting for Godot. Decided to flash the first controller with the old faithful – and it flashes fine. I must therefore presume that it is not the XPD application, but rather the second controller that is unresponsive. Pity; so much work into modifying it… and it won’t flash. :cry:

Anyways – I would be keen to know what the error code means.
Not moving, KF

Lots of chips floating around now that wont flash.
Solder the shunt, build up an external 3-spd switch, and forget it is my advice.

Or... you could lift it and solder in another from a known programmable blown controller :wink:

-methods

Hi Kingfish, take a look at the source code, XPD is Python, easy to read. The code is waiting for a byte to come back, but it got the wrong byte back, so it won't proceed. Might be interesting to compare what it is waiting for with what it got back. If they are close perhaps it is a bias too close, or a bypass cap in the wrong place, or a solder splash affecting the programming line.

Kingfish said:
I just tried this application for the first time today on my 2WD:

• The first controller (vintage 2011 road trip) flashed fine.
  • The second returned "Upload failed: Invalid reply byte 'ce'". For the life of me I could not get it to accept even the default configuration.
I pulled out my tried-&-trusted Parameter Designer for Infineon 116 and loaded up the old faithful file, and no-joy; won’t flash, and won’t give an error code with that app... it just sits there Waiting for Godot. Decided to flash the first controller with the old faithful – and it flashes fine. I must therefore presume that it is not the XPD application, but rather the second controller that is unresponsive. Pity; so much work into modifying it… and it won’t flash. :cry:

Anyways – I would be keen to know what the error code means.
Not moving, KF

This is funny.. I am having the exact same issue with 3 different controllers so far.

I talked to Lyen via pm last night and he told me the mk2 controllers of his need the usb ttl adapter with the jumper between the outside pins.

I tried on my desktop pc - my mac - parallels windows and was about to give ubuntu a try.

Searching on the error is also no luck.

I also have flashed an older 12fet controller multiple times with no issues. arrrrrrrrrgggg I feel your pain.

Back