BMC brushless 1500 watt motor from superkids

johndjmix

10 W
Has anyone tried the BMC 1500 watt motor from superkids? This is one of the motors I would like to try for my bike prototype. Would appreciate some input on how it performed.

--john

There's a lot written about the 2000 watt bmc motor, similar to the 1500 watt model. I my self have chased this motor among others.
To me the motors are over priced and when I ask, there out of stock!!

Funny this topic seems to surface every 6 to 8 months

Prove me wrong !!

Pete

There is not a lot of documentation on these motors.
But yeah, the question does come up.

Magudaman has played with it, but not documented it too much on his own threads.
I do not know who else has played with these extensively.
I do know that you are going to need a dual reduction to get these motors up to proper speed though, IE a 7:1-10:1 ratio.

I do have a bit of info on it's MAC variant though;

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40166

The "2000W" MAC lawnmower mower is identical in most ways, main difference being the cover. But it doesn't have the best heat path.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40166&hilit=2000w+mac&start=75

Wish i had more info for ya :/

Thanks guys, gear reduction is no problem, using a neugart 90 deg reducer....

Yea, hearing good things, but all 4 of the motors im going to test I hear good things. Anyone got a good source for the MAC version?

--John

Actually got a 114 tooth rear sprocket and a 12 tooth front, that should get me right where i want to be in reduction.

But the wiring of this motor has me stumped:

3 Thick phase wires.....I understand these.

Then a 5 conductor wire:

Red:
Brown:
Green:
Black:
White:

I assume this is the hall sensors....but whats what?  Which is +5v and which is ground and which is A B C?

Then there are 2 thin single wires coming out of the motor: blue and black.  What are these for?

--John

johndjmix said:
Actually got a 114 tooth rear sprocket and a 12 tooth front, that should get me right where i want to be in reduction.

But the wiring of this motor has me stumped:

3 Thick phase wires.....I understand these.

Then a 5 conductor wire:

Red:
Brown:
Green:
Black:
White:

I assume this is the hall sensors....but whats what?  Which is +5v and which is ground and which is A B C?

Then there are 2 thin single wires coming out of the motor: blue and black.  What are these for?

--John

red shoul be +ve, black ground... the other 3 - its up to you to match them with whatever controller you use. A bit of experimentation (with no load on the motor) will usually reveal the result.

\http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Determining_the_Wiring_for_a_Brushless_Motor

that should give you some idea... just write down the combo's you've tried as you go along, should only take half an hour or so at worst.

Be sure to try all 36 combos of halls and phases. If you are new to brushless (As i am), you need to realise just moving one or the other (Hall wires of phases) is not enough! You must try moving all of them to every possible combo (36 combos). 6 will run good.

--John

Anyone know what this motor should draw with no load? Im bench testing it and seeing in excess of 10 amps on full throttle.....is this normal with no load?

It runs totally smooth, so i think the above wiring is correct.

--John

Hell I would think 10a at even 24v would be high at no load.
Bob

BTW, now that you've had a chance to test run the motor how much noise, wine, whirl or sound does it make?

[youtube]p5k3O3no8Ic[/youtube]

Here's my MAC "2000W" spinning up to 2700rpm ( 70kV ) at 38.6v using all of ~2.75 amps.

p.s. does yours have the same funky plastic case, or did you get a fancy metal case with your BMC?

The test was at 48V.....humm, maybe the kelly hall sensor setting is wrong, it can go 60 or 120 degrees...

neptronix: Where did you get the 2000 watt motor? Superkids hasent had it in ages!?????

And yes, mine came with that plastic case....

--John

That's cheezy that you got yours with a plastic case too. I guess BMC and MAC are now doing that :(

Yeah, it does sound good. It has that grunty tone from having a lower pole count than the MAC hub motor. But what is really disappointing with this motor is that it has the same stator dimensions as the MAC hub motor, and just a tiny bit more neo magnet thickness.

The 2000W model i have is very similar to your 1500W model. I got it by saying the right magic words to a particular MAC sales rep. If my tests of the motor turn out good ( i swear i'll get to the tests one day :p ), i may get a group buy going, but so far i am not too psyched about this motor.

[youtube]pP1BJQJrds8[/youtube] Video of the motor in action ( from magudaman ).

Here is a relevant thread on the "2000W" MAC motor.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40166

neptronix: What controller are you using?

Im using a kelly and didnt get the high speed option on it, myself and kelly girl are both pretty sure thats the problem. Its a bit confusing, when i ordered the controller the kelly says "supports up to 40000eRPM. I didnt see the E, and thought it meant RPM. Im not sure of the formula to convert, but Fany at Kelly says thats the problem. So ill ship that one back for them to modify. Then this motor will go on one of our other ev's we build.

As for the bike, ah, after reading several threads (yours included) i realized im not going to have the performance i expect without going big. So I ordered the Golden motor 5000 watt brushless. I was torn between that and the brushed/brushless etek's, but what it came down to is size, as the golden is just a tiny bit smaller and will fit in my frame design better. From the videos ive seen looks like the golden makes a TON of power, should work well. Went with the air cooled unit as I cant see overheating this monster on my 100lb bike. Makes me wonder though, does the water cooled unit have a impeller built into the motor to pump the water or do you need an external pump?

--John

did you get the combo 1500w bmc and the 72v 55a Crystalyte controller?
I have the combo 1500w superkids kit am going to test it this week when the throttle get here.

I'm just using one of cell_man's infineons. ( aka a lyen mark II controller )

..which i estimate is good for about 4000-5000rpm on these motors.

Yes, eRPM and RPM are two different things. It has to do with the number of poles. I'm not 100% sure of the formula, maybe it's poles X RPM, but i'm not certain.

I believe these are 8 pole motors.

I ordered just the motor. Actually have 2 of them now....just installed one in a friends machine.

Power is nice and smooth, but you need to remember its a high-rpm motor....at low rpm it has no power compared to a Unite 1000 watt for example.

That said, for the money your much better with the Unite 1000 watt PM motors. Get a 48V and run it at 60. For $230 you can get a motor, and a controller. Been running them for years, and they are SOLID as a rock. But the unite PM weighs MUCH more than a brushless.

--John

Back