GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

Mine will! LOL! But its hard not to flip over!! You basically have to sit on the bars!

Litespeed why would you even consider the over priced Ego kit ?

i found this new AFT pro kit online and i think it uses the same headline motor of ego kit?it has strong ACS crossfire freewheel and aluminium laser cut Bottom bracket mount and its a lot cheaper then ego?? use your own battery gives more options-maybe from cellman in the frame better then Ego in the backpack as the weight is on the frame not on ur legs?

http://www.af-tech.com.au/Products_Ebikes.html

Also if u want more power then the 36v 960w they have, then maybe change to a greentime or huatong controller 48v

I noticed they also have a few different upgrades as well like oil in gearbox , hybrid ceramic bottom bracket and other stuff

When i save up some funds i might try this kit out, also would love to get 20ah a123 one day for this future bike

Gab

I'm not considering it although I really like it. That kit you set a link to looks like the Cyclone kit with a better mounting plate/mount. Prolly not to bad considering the mounting of the Cyclone kit was the biggest problem with it. I betcha that Ego kit is 100% top notch and just ride till your tired of riding. That German engineering is some good stuff but the costs are always way up there. For my new high power build I'm going to stick with the tried and true hub motor till these mid drives can get into the 40mph club on flat ground with my 200 lb butt on board.

Tom

Totally missed this thing, looks like a better solution than the cyclone in terms of fitting and makes a nice kit for the girlfriends bike if you like but I cant see that 450W or even 1KW is going to light the fires under some of the folks on here, I suppose it depends on what you want to do or where you live, there is no doubt this will make a super little hill climber but I wouldn't trade it for my BMC or my X5 as a general system.

It will be interesting to see them get hacked and pimped in the usual ES way though so get the spanners out fellas :)

Gab said:
Litespeed why would you even consider the over priced Ego kit ?

i found this new AFT pro kit online and i think it uses the same headline motor of ego kit?it has strong ACS crossfire freewheel and aluminium laser cut Bottom bracket mount and its a lot cheaper then ego?? use your own battery gives more options-maybe from cellman in the frame better then Ego in the backpack as the weight is on the frame not on ur legs?

http://www.af-tech.com.au/Products_Ebikes.html

Also if u want more power then the 36v 960w they have, then maybe change to a greentime or huatong controller 48v

I noticed they also have a few different upgrades as well like oil in gearbox , hybrid ceramic bottom bracket and other stuff

When i save up some funds i might try this kit out, also would love to get 20ah a123 one day for this future bike

Gab

G'Day all,
I have been lurking for a while, time to come out.
I am very interested in the GNG kit, looks like a great alternative to the Cyclone.
I recently built my first e-bike. Due to the hills where I live I decided on a non-hub setup, a 960W Cyclone. Like a lot of others I was not very happy with the standard mount.
I came across AFT (http://www.af-tech.com.au/) from a post in this forum and ordered an Aluminium mount from Jim at AFT.
I am really impressed with the quality of the mount! Highly recommended. His other product definitely seem interesting.
I am impressed with the Cyclone. Climbs all the hills in my area with ease.

Sorry for the slightly off topic post.

Have fun.

Cheers, Martin.

That looks like a great setup Martin. Good pics!

Did the first check today with the CA onboard. 48A top, and about 40 - 47 when climbing uphill (or rather racing uphill). That would be about 3Kw )
This was a short ride. Sunday i was riding a 1.7 km uphill at almost full throttle. Motor was a little hot at top of hill. But that would be normal after putting through 40amps in maybe 5 minutes?
(top speed today on CA was 54kph)
Had a new belt on, to other one lasted about 50km hard riding with 2:nd idler setup.
btw, i wouldn´t consider putting my girlfriend on this beast, not even my prevoius girlfriend.
WP_000496.jpg

WP_000497.jpg

WP_000495.jpg

christerljung,

Are you still at 72 volts or 20s lipo? I forget but seeing your low voltage at 59.9 throws me off. Seeing you suck in that kind of wattage is pretty impressive to say the least. What controller are you running again?

Tom

Velcro01, welcome!

Thanks for posting the AFT mid-drive kit. I hadn't seen these before. Although it is good to compare similar kits to each other, that kit looks like it deserves its own thread, especially for others to be able to find information about the AFT kit in the future. If you do start a new thread on the AFT kit, please tell us the volts and amps you are using. If you could also include the temperature of the controller and motor when it is under load, that would be useful information.

Prevoius powercheck is now verified with an external Amperemeter. The CA values seem accurate.
Had no idea that power output could be at these levels. :shock: But i have no experience from other ebike setups so i didn´t now what to expect either.
With these high amps the powerfeeding cable must be replaced by a really fat one?

I purchased one of the GNG kits a couple of weeks ago with the idea that it would go on a bike I won in a raffle. But I decided not to put it on that bike due to it's poor quality and with full suspension not being the best fit for a conversion.

So tuesday, I purchased a Genesis GX7 at Wal-Mart. This aluminum bike has 29" tires and is a pretty large bike. But at over 6'1" tall and over 200#, its a pretty good fit for me.

I took an initial ride today and was impressed with how easily it climbed the 15% grade on the road and the 20% grade on my driveway. No speedometer yet, but it maxed out at 21.6 amps and 1084 Watts measured at the battery, a 48V 20AH LiNiCoMn from BMSBattery. The throttle is a little twitchy, even though it twists smoothly. None of my other throttles/controllers have gone from no power to lots of power so quickly.

For now the battery is in a plastic tote on an old rear rack I already had. Will probably need to upgrade to a better rack before long, but the battery only weighs 14 pounds. The original bike weighed 36 pounds and now with the kit and battery as pictured below it weighs 65 pounds.

Attachments

• Genesis GX7 001.JPG
    Genesis GX7 001.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 2,240
  • Genesis GX7 002.JPG
    Genesis GX7 002.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 2,240
christerljung said:
btw, i wouldn´t consider putting my girlfriend on this beast, not even my prevoius girlfriend.

New ES measuring stick, 'the bikes power lays somewhere above allowing my current gf to ride, but is still below what I'd be willing to let me ex on.' :lol:

sif not give the ex LPF's death bike :twisted:

Allrigth I spent 2 hours in my 19m2 student room with a hand file to get the bb from 73 to 68mm on my lapierre blue fr, I was really happy when I finally got it to fit! Pictures later today. I still have to make a battery tray and I'll be done!

just back from a test ride, SO frocking great!
47492_10151214069689617_1499915256_n.jpg

Huge torque, low power consumtion, nothing heating eougth to worry about,, very silent in my opignon!
I climbed some 4m high 45° (not grade) ramps, it won't get up them without initial speed, but it's quite close.
The chain came off two times, I will need to fix that. My 16s 4,6ah with cells from 2007 still gave me 40 min of hard riding, wich I consider very eficient. My Lapierre is also proving to be a good platteform, exepted for the 9mm front axle, feels weak when you get used to 20mm :shock:
Oh and another thing : as others said before, throtlle delay is almost non-existant, making it really easy to control wheelies :mrgreen:

It looks fantastic! That frame geometry is indeed a beautiful design. 2 hour hand file must be the proof of ebike love :mrgreen:
That thing about throttle characteristic is abit annoying. Im afraid doing wheelies at 72volt because it flipped over too easy :oops:
Maybe a resistor in series with red cable to throttle would calm it down? But you dont want to loose top speed either, hmmm.

btw, i just ordered my second GNG.
/C

Do you run a left hand rear brake set-up? Having the rear barke easy to grab gave me a lot of confidence sensitive power set-ups, should be standard IMO!

I would recommend this kit to anyone that has a little more time to invest than in the typical hub motor set-up. Offroad, there is just no comparaison between this kit at 1000w and a hubbie at 1000w. A good hub at 4000-5000w on a good rolling trail migth have a chance against this kit stock, but the hub bike would need to carry twice the battery and have a bombproof frame and rear wheel, making it crappy for jumps and technical sections.

Nice Work,

And yes, You have to run the Go Go Juice through the drivetrain, it just makes sense to be able to change up your torque...

Last week, we went up a 4,000 ft rocky climb, and bounded up some sections, under 1,000 watts, through the drivetrain. I am getting
to be able to stand up and hammer on the pedals, while under full blast power...Awsome. It's a game changer folks. Ride on.

Josh K.

Looks clean! how does it compare to your mid hubbie??

Powers feel very similar to my previous bike that had the BPM, but with a much quicker throttle response that makes feel this bike more torquy. The BPM bike was set to 1600w so it had more acceleration power in higher gears, wich the GNG lacks a bit. Not enougth riding time to testify on relyability but so far it does all what my mid mounted hub setups did with minor modifications to the frame and faster throttle response. The chassis is definitely working better than my last custom but i can't really compare as my M-hub bike is at home 1000km from here. I would like to ride side by side with the two bikes and one of my friends wo can ride those bikes fast, would be interesting.

Finally stopped raining but too late for a test run. Here's the Cannondale F5 ready to go, battery will be in my rucksack.

Attachments

• CannondaleEBike.jpg
    CannondaleEBike.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 2,547
Mid-Drive before I make a custom chain guide.

Attachments

• MidDrive.jpg
    MidDrive.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 705
Back