Toms chunky KMX

Where are you? I just looked at your psts and the scenery is just awesome! I live in a quiet town with some nice scenery but nothing like your. Loving your setup as well.

I like in Bradford, Yorkshire, UK. Most of the footage was shot in a really nice local park. It was almost empty because the ground was too slippy to walk on so I had miles of big open traffic free paths to race around in. Never go on the main road on the trike though, that would be suicide, stick to the woodland paths and parks.

ecross said:
Dear Tom,

thanks for the great vid.
I`m new here in ES forum, sorry for my bad english.

I prefer also drive on snow, but with the batterys in the back for better handling.

Have fun!
ecross

I used to have the battery on the rear pannier but I found it made the trike quite prone to tipping in the corners. The best solution is the FFR battery mount as featured in the KMX further up this page as it keeps the weight down low in the middle. Having the battery on the front axle line really keeps the front down to stop it 2 wheeling and helps prevent understeer too. I'd rather have oversteer than understeer on ice.

Great Video , but WTF SHORTS ??

haha I know riding my bike that wind can really penetrate.

Good job holding that camera expected it to get ran over or something.

With great regret, the trike is now up for sale as I need to replace my car and I need to generate funds. Check the for sale section for more details

:|

[youtube]Iq7gF2rHS4Y[/youtube]

I was today asked to demo the trike to 40 international engineering students at the University I work at. They were all really engaged and asked loads of interesting questions, answers to which I wouldn't know if it wasn't for the brilliant knowledge base and community here on ES. I demo'd the trike on 50A and then limited it down to 6A when I passed over the controls to them, there were far too many people around to risk a shin smashing massacre. Enjoy the vid.

It adds some bulk, but I replace my hall wires with individual 45A andersons on each wire. I do that because I have multiple motors and controllers, and often run them in different configurations, that way I can easily change my hall configurations between different motor/controller combos. As I said, it does mean you end up with more bulk (Five andersons is much bigger than the plug you have there), but I prefer it for the flexibility it gives. When putting Andersons on such small wires, I crimp them a second time in the 30amp slot on the crimper, and add some solder too. I also fold up the wire a few times to give it some bulk before doing what i just said. Just an idea if you have a bunch of andersons available (I buy them in bulk from Powerwerx.com, so I always have plenty available).

Thanks for the advice but I think you posted on the wrong thread dude.

I also triple fold the copper before crimping with pliers and then flood with solder to make sure it can't pull out. andersons and hall pins are fine, bullets and battery wires are more challenging for my poor little iron. Signal wires I'm steadily mastering though. Thanks again

Sorry mate, I was posting in response to the querry you had on the first page of this thread, I hadn't realised there were two more pages, and that that was long ago. Sorry about that.

Thanks anyway, I managed to find a female connector matching the hall connector and paired it up to the hall connector that is standard on cellman and lyen controllers, now I have an adaptor to go between the 2 types. Shame neither are compatible with the crystallite mini XLR, but that's only one adaptor away I guess. Shame there is no easy accessible in the resource for all these type of connectors, big up to Lyen once more for posting me out a load of pins for connectors absolutely free. Top bloke.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

steel battery box, 1mm sheet steel construction, whole lot powder coated metal flek white. Lovely finish, middle box is to hide all the wiring, got a fancy PCB being made that handles the DCDC converter for the 12v circuit for data logging box, lighting, horn e.t.c

Yep, she's getting FULLY kitted out.

Wow, it's white!!! Awesome! Following this too...

464357_10152128500875370_1974124282_o.jpg

Painting the seat frame looks awesome.

First tests however are.... dissapointing. The HS motor pulls 2.5kw on takeoff, but it doesn't wheelspin even on the slickest of slick tires and still bogs down going up a hill, in a way my 10T mac motor doesn't with less than half the watts. The motor isn't getting really hot quickly which would suggest incorrect phase combo, the controller is a Lyen 12fet, he supplied it with the motor with matching, labelled connectors

scratching my head a bit as to why the performance is just a bit pants for the amount of power it's sucking down.

SkvZh.jpg

Back