KMX trike build (updated pics)(new HD video)

Yup it got to me ... as much as I tried holding back on this I HAD to order me a trike kit from utah trikes.

Took the hint from andrew.box and ordered a frame kit with double wall rims (20") on the front. I think it is better this way but I'll end up buying the brakes I want and components I want.

Bought a crystalite HS3540 from method's like 3 weeks ago on a 20" rim.

My plan is to run this thing @ 20S lipo or maybe 18S lipo still trying to figure out which one.

I bought the controller a while ago and it is being modified by amberwolf to handle more current and bigger phase and battery wires. Fets are going to be replaced too.

I'm working on a 24S a123 monster battery for this thing but in the meantime I would like to start with 3 6S bricks from hobbyking for easy hookup and testing.

My question is this;
do you think 3 of these in series might work well pulling 60-70 amps max from the battery
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21431
I'm not looking to break 50mph with this motor or anything but to have a constant 30mph with bursts of a bit more when needed. If I crave more speed I'll probably add another 6S brick for 88.8V but for now I think 3 will do.

Another thing I want is to be able to fast charge this thing.
Are these nanotech's really good for charging at 2-3C?

Any suggestions in terms of brake and other components I might need. I was thinking AVID BB7's on the front (200mm) with a dual pull lever. Hookworms in the back but have not settled on what tire to use for the fronts.

UPDATE Oct 6,2012

Well some updates and pictures as promised...

Prepping the HS3540 and front 20" rims

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

Front disc brakes and spindles attached plus tubes and tires

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

Frame is out of the box to be prepped for the torque arm installation using the DP420

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

Front left wheel installed

DSC00987.jpg

DSC00988.jpg

Both front wheels installed

DSC00989.jpg

Seat installed too

DSC00990.jpg

Added the freewheel to the HS3540, had to make a spacer out of a washer I had

DSC00991.jpg

Some bonus pics

DSC00993.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

DSC00995.jpg

The torque arm I left curing with a heat gun and a carton box @150F for about an hour. Thing is solid now :D

Still to do;

Install the front brake cables and adjust accordingly
Install crank and pedals
Install chain and rear derailleur with shifter

Lots and lots more....

UPDATE Oct 13,2012

It is running now .... not electric at the moment but everything else runs fine. I'm gonna tweak the brakes and add the shifter cable.

DSC00999.jpg

DSC00998.jpg

UPDATE Oct 17,2012

Installed the shifter for the rear derailleur. Bought an SRAM grip shifter and cut a wuxing handlebar grip. 7 speeds it is. Now I need to tension the rear chain a bit since it is a bit loose. It still shifts good but i'D like to tension it a bit.

Shifter and Brake

IMG_20121017_184058.jpg

Installed a CA up front and used all the cable routing stops for the front derailleur that I won't have.

CA with a bit of clearance on the right

IMG_20121017_183804.jpg

Left clearance

IMG_20121017_183724.jpg

Now onto the throttle ... I bought a throttle from an user here on ES a while ago. Now I got it installed YPEDAL's style. Definitely the best way to install a throttle on these KMX trikes.

IMG_20121017_190432.jpg

IMG_20121017_190439.jpg

UPDATE Nov 17,2012

Well as promised here is all the updated pics of what I think is my new commuter in combination with my idrive. Enjoy!

trike008.jpg

trike004.jpg

trike016.jpg

IMG_20121116_153323.jpg

IMG_20121116_153334.jpg

IMG_20121116_153604.jpg

IMG_20121116_153621.jpg

trike020.jpg

trike017.jpg

trike022.jpg

And RIDE STATS
NO REGEN
LOTS OF START AND GO PULLS
NO PEDALLING

IMG_20121116_162921.jpg

IMG_20121116_162924.jpg

UPDATE Dec 5,2012

Update now with videos

No editing at all , no music. 808 v2 #16 camera mounted on giro remedy cam

The next one will have a cool intro and music.

[youtube]Ipj-sAu8JPM[/youtube]

Well big shipment arrived today...

I just can't figure this UPS guy. He never leaves small packages at my door and leaves a note for me to pick em up at the club house. Today thou he left more than 1500$ worth of things just sitting there. To make things worse I live on a 3rd story.

Anyway my frame kit arrived and this is gonna be a really busy weekend.

Ordered 3 Maxxis hookworms and avid 2012 200mm mec disc brakes. Also some avenir thorn resistant tubes, rim tape and a dual pull lever.

Now some pictures.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121005_222748.png
    ForumRunner_20121005_222748.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 20,521
  • ForumRunner_20121005_222807.png
    ForumRunner_20121005_222807.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 20,521
yea looking good.. I plan on doing this same thing next year.. I really want a velo tho or at the minimum something to break the wind.

mind sharing how much you saved just getting the frame like that ? never thought about that option.

cant wait to see more even open box's

ohzee said:
yea looking good.. I plan on doing this same thing next year.. I really want a velo tho or at the minimum something to break the wind.

mind sharing how much you saved just getting the frame like that ? never thought about that option.

cant wait to see more even open box's

Frame kit is 850$ plus 49$ shipping with double wall front rims

Bought an hs3540 from methods when it was on sale for 200$

Avid bb7's ~150$

Im getting close to 1.3k and im still shopping for lipo and a CA.

My suggestion is go for the frame kit if you want GOOD components. I just hate to buy bundled things it seems you waste a lot of money that way.

Took some pics im waiting on the dp420 to cure in the diy box oven lol

Man those hookworms are hard to put on!!!

Well some updates and pictures as promised...

Prepping the HS3540 and front 20" rims

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

Front disc brakes and spindles attached plus tubes and tires

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

Frame is out of the box to be prepped for the torque arm installation using the DP420

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

Front left wheel installed

DSC00987.jpg

DSC00988.jpg

Both front wheels installed

DSC00989.jpg

Seat installed too

DSC00990.jpg

Added the freewheel to the HS3540, had to make a spacer out of a washer I had

DSC00991.jpg

Some bonus pics

DSC00993.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

DSC00995.jpg

The torque arm I left curing with a heat gun and a carton box @150F for about an hour. Thing is solid now :D

Still to do;

Install the front brake cables and adjust accordingly
Install crank and pedals
Install chain and rear derailleur with shifter

Lots and lots more....

Ypedal said:
have fun with the chain tubes :lol: .. an extra pair of hands come in handy.. refer to my review thread if you need help figuring them out, top bottom , forward back ..

Btw I still need to buy a bottom bracket and crank.

Ypedal

Do you know what type of BB it is and the width?

What chainring did u end up going and arms length?

The white frame looks awesome, didn't notice that was an option when I ordered mine. I can't wait to hear how it performs once it's finished. Looking good so far!

andrew.box said:
The white frame looks awesome, didn't notice that was an option when I ordered mine. I can't wait to hear how it performs once it's finished. Looking good so far!
Hey thanks man!!!

Btw your suggestions were BIG help everything was perfect. Now i'm trying to figure how to setup the shifter and what to put in the levers. There might be a problem with the derailleur being to long i think i might have to change it for a short cage but we will see.

Will be playing with the various pads on the controller to see what they all do (regen/etc), and install a CA connector and verify the one I have will work with this controller, which means yours should work the same.

After I get all the small-scale connections figured out I'll pull the FETs, beef up the power traces, and install the new FETs, install the new phase/power wires, then retest everything.

amberwolf said:
Will be playing with the various pads on the controller to see what they all do (regen/etc), and install a CA connector and verify the one I have will work with this controller, which means yours should work the same.

After I get all the small-scale connections figured out I'll pull the FETs, beef up the power traces, and install the new FETs, install the new phase/power wires, then retest everything.

Good to knoW! centainly no rush .. I need to purchase a 6/9 fet infineon controller to test it but it will be later used in the other bike I have. That other bike is currently running on a sensorless aotema controller and it is not working well with the geared hub I have on that bike.

I like the entry level price on the KMX Karts but the lack of decent steering on them can be a problem in high speed cornering. They tend to scrub too much in the corners.

Also what does scrub in the corners mean ? sorry not familiar with it and curious. I plan on getting one of these at some point , but not set on a make/model.

On a bike, the front wheel guides the turn and the rear wheel follwos. On a trike or quad, one wheel of a steering pair will guide the turn and the other will be dragged along a different curve than it would naturally go in, and the non-steering pair will follow, again with the wheel out of line being dragged into line. That's an oversimplification, but should be easy enough to picture.

With different mechanicals to the steering, suspension, etc, then this behaves differently, with more or less scrub (drag of tires on road) in some than others.

Thanks Amber never actually thought about that.. thanks for the explanation.

Yea makes sense.. do people who make products give specs on that value or is it something they try to omit ?

I don't know that most poeple care--the main issue is wear on tires and loss of speed in the turn, and possibly stickiness to the pavement causing you to flip in an extreme turn (but that could happen anyway).

I haven't seen specs on it at all. i don't knwo that there is a system of measurement in place for it, even.

It gets better, I felt the same way at first but now I feel very comfortable with the steering. Don't forget to check the amount of toe-in. When I had mine set with too much, it handled weird, was less efficient and wore out my tires.

Back