New xtracycle edgerunner cargo bike - what do you think?

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.xtracycle.com/edgerunner

Looks like all sorts of win to me. 20" rear wheel, Chromoly frame, space for a falconev ( or similar ) bag, designed around tall / wide tires, disc brakes, sizeable room for a chain driven motor in the center, etc.

Not bad... :D

EDGERUNNER-5_02_02.png

Superfat tires help a ton.
A chromoly bike soaks up a lot of vibration as well.
Add to the fact that if you are sitting in the middle of the bike, the impact of the bumps is lessened.
I really notice that on my design logic 'da bomb' ( chromoly as well ) with 2.0" tires, and no suspension. It's a better ride than my dual suspension bike and my MAC Trek with the front suspension.

I rode a yuba mundo and noticed a similar effect. The long chromoly frame soaks up a lot of stuff. So this bike should exhibit some of the same smooth riding qualities.

There is no way around bumps - but you could go with a suspension fork up front plus a 24" wheel to even out the geometry. The wheel size difference with the 20" in the rear would not be so pronounced as well, so that'd be a bonus. And you can get a 24" schwalbe big apple ( i just ordered one ) 2.125" for the front. That would be an ideal setup.

best new product since the surly big dummy.just hope they offer a 48 volt version.

The radish is the best handling longtail I have ever ridden, plus Their warranty support has been excellent. Hopefully they don't disappoint.

Choices for pre-made Ebikes are growing! I've had my eye on this one (and a few others) :) . Should be able to do about 98% of the mundane jobs most of us would think of. The other 2%? Well, that's where this forum takes over. :twisted:

The MARC commuter train from Baltimore <> Washington D.C. require all bikes brought aboard have the ability to "fold". Moreover, during peak times, they have to be placed within a bag of some kind. Imagine the folk's faces when you try to bring this little lady on:

http://www.xtracycle.com/cargojoe

Bueno Idea, lower the cargo weight for better handling while getting the bonus of better hill climbing with the 20" wheel hubmotored.

All good looking to me, no downside really.

I was on the Yuba Mundo bandwagon a little while ago, until another project got in the way. But this changes the game!!!

The smaller rear wheel is very smart to allow a lower cargo mass and the diameter will be great for hub motors and ease of finding parts (BMX)

Nep, I think you have found my next bike :mrgreen:

I absolutely love it. I just want a bare frame though.. Cromotor at 9kW I am thinking. Passenger capable. How much load do you think there would be on the axle with 200
Lb rider and 160lb load on back? Would it be comparable to 200lb rider on a normal geometry mountain bike?

hillzofvalp said:
I absolutely love it. I just want a bare frame though.. Cromotor at 9kW I am thinking. Passenger capable. How much load do you think there would be on the axle with 200
Lb rider and 160lb load on back? Would it be comparable to 200lb rider on a normal geometry mountain bike?

Vertical load? I'm guessing that would be the same 360lb load across 2 wheels. Of course, the wheel base of this bad boy will mean you can put more torque in before any wheel lift occurs on the front.

cal3thousand said:
Vertical load? I'm guessing that would be the same 360lb load across 2 wheels. Of course, the wheel base of this bad boy will mean you can put more torque in before any wheel lift occurs on the front.

And even better, the 20" wheel will produce very good amounts of torque. Even an el cheapo 9C or Crystalyte HS would produce good power in a smaller wheel - check the ebikes.ca simulator to see what i mean.

And unlike using an ordinary frame, you won't have the same wheelie/strange geometry/poor handling/pedal scraping issues of using a 20" rear wheel that i did on my pike's peak race bike.

I think someone at xtracycle was listening to our wants!

I emailed them about it. if I got aframe from them I would want the dropouts at least .375" thick, and with a good tolerance on the 10mm slot (say plusminus .01-.03mm). I even offered to buy one of their framesets if I could send them custom fabricated dropouts

I think the new "Extracycle cargobike" is a great idea.

And the fact they are Cro-moly makes for a very comfortable bike. My 7 foot long bike pictured in avatar (except with panniers) is the most comfortable bike by leaps and bounds. these new cargo goodies are hopefully better designed. Good luck for the company.

hillzofvalp said:
I emailed them about it. if I got aframe from them I would want the dropouts at least .375" thick, and with a good tolerance on the 10mm slot (say plusminus .01-.03mm). I even offered to buy one of their framesets if I could send them custom fabricated dropouts

This is a worthy effort. Please keep us informed. I am thinking of retiring my cracked Kona Ute frame and this would be a good candidate!

does anyone know or think that grin will come out with their battery mounting system that they show on the edgerunner?that would be ideal for the big dummy i imagine.if anyone knows please post here.peace out.

neptronix said:
cal3thousand said:

And even better, the 20" wheel will produce very good amounts of torque. Even an el cheapo 9C or Crystalyte HS would produce good power in a smaller wheel - check the ebikes.ca simulator to see what i mean.

And unlike using an ordinary frame, you won't have the same wheelie/strange geometry/poor handling/pedal scraping issues of using a 20" rear wheel that i did on my pike's peak race bike.

I think someone at xtracycle was listening to our wants!

Plenty of room for batteries or a mid mount. That small wheel will require less reduction as well.

I wonder how much they will be selling frame kits for.

Looks super dorky to me
You know they sell 10x cost on taiwan crap/gold because 5-7x on made local isnt good enough
They problem is qc
Could be a 16 year old punk first day welding and he was up all night playing starcraft at the local internet cafe
Cracked out and shaking from a energy drink overdose
Or a little old lady welding forever who is the shite
You may get a nugget or a turd with a bad weld

If you have the money to burn and want made in California by one man
Try a hunter
screenshot-2010-07-14-at-7.18.56-PM.jpg

http://mashsf.com/_dev/_wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/screenshot-2010-07-14-at-7.18.56-PM.jpg

A bit cheaper is the cleaver made in Oakland by one man
tumblr_lq45126bDs1qerqbbo1_1280.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq45126bDs1qerqbbo1_1280.jpg

I think my next bike will be a 2wd 20" custom cargo
For ghetto charger road trip redundancy and prototyping a novel regen system
So this doesnt happen when carrying a bud/chick and we hit a pothole at 40
675024d1329684868-broken-chromoly-frame%3B-how-find-welder-repair-frame-002.jpg

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/frame-building/675024d1329684868-broken-chromoly-frame%3B-how-find-welder-repair-frame-002.jpg

miuan said:
hillzofvalp said:

This is a worthy effort. Please keep us informed. I am thinking of retiring my cracked Kona Ute frame and this would be a good candidate!

haha. The response was pretty lacking, imho. maybe it has to do with the fact that it is unreleased (not shipping). they wouldn't give me tolerances on the slot, the dropout thickness, or tell me I could ship them my own dropouts for a custom frame. Hopefully I can get more out of them when they respond to my second email with clarifications.

Funny though cause they referred me to justin for everything ebike related. Would justin even know the tolerances and such geometry of this frame? If they don't answer back with anything I'm going to talk to him about it I guess

That's the bike I mentioned back in May this year: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39968 I'm glad to see it's making to market.
It doesn't look like the torque sensor BB is going to be in the production models.
You can be sure it's going to ride sweet. Sam Wittingham has been fine tuning the concept for a couple of years already.
A review in Momentum #57 expected ~ $3495 USD and $3300-$3900 CAN price tags. In another article, Vancouver's bicycling mayor says he wants one.

I don't doubt that a good custom fabricator can make you nice stuff too. But I do think that surly makes some good frames, and one designed for electrification is not a bad idea.

For most peoples needs, a 20" driving wheel will be enough torque, so no need for mid drive unless you have steeper hills than 10% to climb.

As for broken frames, look at the surly frame and look at the one in the picture above. See the huge difference?

But the possibility of breaking stuff under huge loads is one reason why my longtail has full suspension. I know it's easier on my destroyed lower back, and think it should be easier on rims and spokes. My homemade longtail beast rides down washboard dirt roads at 30 mph just fine.

I think somebody that really knows how to build frames needs to start making longtails with rear suspsension.

Re hilforzaps dropout comments, It's chromoly. Looks super simple to me to just cut off the stock dropout and have a decent welder put anything you want on there. No fancy geometry, it's just a plate welded to a tube.

Back