Giant Reign 2 Completed

Thecopterdr

100 mW
This is my second build, My first was a Giant XTC 29er which I fitted out with a Cyclone 1200w motor kit and LiFePo 16Ahr battery.
Having researched intensively I decided that mid drive would suit what I wanted to do which was off road and bush trail riding.
I've seen a lot of Ebikes online and so many of them just look downright hideous, So I set out to try and put together a bike that is a little more discreet and appealing to the eye while possessing all the qualities of a good full suspension mountain bike.
I learnt a lot from the first bike including what would go better on the next one.
The first thing was to reduce the size of the speed controller so I purchased a Grin Tech Infineon 18 FET 35Amp controller that was nearly half the size of the stock standard Cyclone one.
The second was to run Lipos in a pack as per the EGO Kit, This wasn't a problem as I have 6 12s 5000 MAh Packs for my RC Mikado Logo 600 Helicopter with a charger that can crank out 40 amps all day long. I do currently charge 3 of these packs from 20% to full in about 40 mins flat.
I'm running 3 of these in my pack to get 15AH @ 48 volts weighing in at 3.95 kgs. This weight i hardly notice in my really supportive Camelback pack with a fibreglass Lipo liner.
One of the things I've noticed with off road bike mods is that the motor is always below the frame which to me not only looks awkward but would serve to hook logs etc and take a fair bit of abuse from whatever the front wheel throws up at it. I've utilized the space between the rear shock and down tube in the hope that the whole arrangement also looks a little more discreet.
The motor mounts will be powder coated the same Metallic grey as the Bike frame.
So far I have had a blast on this thing, Top speed is 55 Km/hr - a bit slower than the XTC 29er at 65 Km/Hr but it also climbs like a mountain goat. All up weight ready to go is 19.3 kgs. Everything seems to be holding up and I'm glad I went with the BMX drive chain - It hasn't stretched anywhere as much as the original cheapy chain that came with the kit.

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

View attachment 4

View attachment 3

IMG_0824.jpg

Nice work, looks fantastic. I love all the custom cyclone mounts people are doing.

Clay

Totally Awesome build! Nice work here!

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

Nice to see more mid drives. Great build. Makes me want to redo my cyclone setup.

I Like it !

I'm beginning to think I should abandon hub motors, they are too hungry and waste a lot of power.

Look really good, well done ! :D

How about posting some video. What are your thoughts on sound levels for the 1200 w motor?

Thanks guys, I think the 1200watt motor is pretty noisy with the included idler wheel in the kit.
This doesn't even have a ball bearing in it and is energy sapping junk. I purchased the roller from a local shop and when set to the right tension i've found that it is considerably quieter than the original setup. I've also repacked the gearbox with newer grease but still think that oil filled would be the best but am a little reluctant as the seal around the output shaft might not hold up to pressurized oil forcing its way into the motor housing.
I have just fitted a Kelly controller which is half the size again and much smoother on the throttle, I will post pics soon. Gopro is o order so will have footage to go with it.

Looking good!

First post "all up weight is 19.3kg" obviously that doesn't include the battery. 3.95kg in his camelback. For us in the new world that's 42.5 lbs, for the bike, and 8.7lbs for the battery. I have no idea what system you Brits use. :D something like 3 stone :lol:

wildharemtbkr said:
First post "all up weight is 19.3kg" obviously that doesn't include the battery. 3.95kg in his camelback. For us in the new world that's 42.5 lbs, for the bike, and 8.7lbs for the battery. I have no idea what system you Brits use. :D something like 3 stone :lol:

I think it'd be something like 3/32ths of a cwt (hundredweight)? Those poms have got some really fvcked up weights & measures!

Love the Bike You have done a great job, The mounting bracket is a work of art. Very cool.

I have built a bike using the GNG 48v 1000W kit. I have done the same thing as you and put My Lipo in a back pack 4x 6s 5 Amp hour Zippy's. Finnished it today worked great but I have a suspicion that I'm losing capacity at High Amps because I have under rated the wire harness. 1700 - 1800mm there abouts from lipo to controller with 30Amp andersons at each end and 75Amp Anderson at about seat level to connect and disconnect. When I was climbing step banks in first gear it was struggling abit compared to other people have written on this forum. I was wondering how you made your battery harness. and what rating of cable you used.

Here are some pics of the Kelly Controller.
So far so good and it seems to have much smoother acceleration than the Infineon.
Its a KBS48101L which is programmable, As you can see its way smaller than the infineon controller.

IMG_0854.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0856.jpg

I've been putting the 3D printer to good use by manufacturing some custom controller mounts.
The top mount locks into the seatpost clamp to stop it spinning on the tube while the bottom one just clamps.

hey nice build,

I'm also very interested in seeing a detailed run down of your battery backpack. Also video would be great. I am keen on doing a battery back pack to save bike weight and keep it Stealth!

Thecopterdr said
I've been putting the 3D printer to good use by manufacturing some custom controller mounts.

I was looking at the your controller mounts with interest, the bottom one you could cut out, the top one had me puzzled how you had done it. 3D printer explains it. :D

I made up a back pack harness. went and checked the specks on the cable I used, only a 20Amp rating. I suppose I could shorten the harness my putting it out the bottom side of the pack. Terrible thing to do to a nice pack. And still need to shorten the motor leads and a better rated cable. what are you using?

Been to busy riding it, It's been a blast. Not climbing as well as I hopped, but it ain't to bad either. If I get another controller I can push more amps through it. The standard GNG is 20Amps. The Kelly sounds attractive from what you say about even power delivery. I got kicked off a couple of times doing climbs and not being careful with the throttle. It did prove the 75Amp Anderson Powerpoles where breaking cleanly, perhaps to easily through. I looked like you are using 50 Amp Anderson plugs.

Still considering the Infineon Controller because it comes with a Cycle Annalist connecter.

Sirbevalot will put some photos of the harness I have made up tomorrow night if I have time. They may help even if its only how not to do it. :)

Thanks Deepsouth.

The more i think about a Battery backpack the better it sounds. :D

Hi Sirbevalot

Photo I promised.
battery2.jpg

I just wrap it in a towel into my back pack and of I go, not very elegant. When I tipped over backwards climbing a rock face and me, bike and back pack went flying back down the face to end up in a heap at the bottom, I'm thinking that the towel did a pretty good job of protecting the lippo when I rolled over it a couple of times.
I'm thinking of making up a Poly-carbonate holder instead of taped cardboard.

The pack is two parallel packs of two which are put into series by the four 30Amp Anderson connectors. Those Connectors are also used to break the pack in half for parallel charging. the Big 75Amp Anderson's are my connect disconnect.

My pack is pretty much the same, I've used 2 pairs of Turnigy 6S 8000Mah to give me 48 Volts at 16Ah.
My 3D printer is currently printing out parts to make a lightweight but strong enclosure which will have clips for all wiring to keep things tidy.
I use 10 AWG wire throughout which is what the batteries have and EC5 plugs. I'm not sure what amp rating the plugs are but my RC 10S Helicopter has them on 10S packs pulling up to 120 amps.
No photos yet as the battery housing is a work in progress.

Generally speaking EC5's have a 120 amp rating although I have used Deans ultras at over 150 amps non stop for years. Lot of hype on the web and it appears Deans, EC5's and 45 and up Anderson Power Poles have enough to hang with 99% of the bike builds out there.

Tom

Thecopterdr said
My 3D printer is currently printing out parts to make a lightweight but strong enclosure which will have clips for all wiring to keep things tidy.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Which 3D printer are you using?
After my tumble down the rock face. I am convinced that if you are using a backpack lipo. Protection for the lipo is an important consideration. I had wrapped the lippo in a towel to stop it rattling around, the fact it did a good job of protecting the lipo was a happy bi-product. From every thing I have read on lipo says that these days the stuff is very stable compared to even two or three years ago, but physical damage is still a good way to get a lipo fire. And having that happen in my back pack while I'm wearing it is not a pretty thought. :) Using a lipo charge sack is a good idea I have one on the way from Hobbyking.

I'm sure a good tumble would be a nervous one with lipos on your back unprotected.
I've been running them in Helis for years and the only issues I have encountered are when you discharge them below 15-20%, They swell up and don't like charging to well afterwards - a lesson learnt years ago when one when pop while flying. And yes it stank badly.
I plan to integrate some high density foam into the case and have a small handle to help with hauling it out of the slimline pack.
I charge using a Revolectrix PL8 charger with an E fuel 60 amp 1200 watt PS and a FMA balance board. With this setup I can charge about 24000 Mah in 40 mins while monitoring the detailed health of each cell.
The 3D printer I use is the Makerbot Replicator 2, Its pretty awesome to watch your design unfold in front of you.

Back