Server Maintenance Tonight Oct 24th 00:00 PST

mrvass

10 W
As mentioned by Justin in ES Site Maintenance and Upgrades, Oct 22nd - 27th, we'll be temporarily taking the server down at 00:00 on Wednesday Oct 24th at 00:00 Pacific time until about 02:00 worst case, to update PHP, PHPBB, and some programs on the server itself for security purposes. During this time the Endless Sphere forum and wiki will not be accessible, and any post data not already saved to the database will be lost if you attempt to post it. The server will likely be up sooner than 02:00, but we want to reserve that window in case errors occur during the update process. Thank you for your patience at this time!

This is the first of three planned server outages, the second to occur Oct 26th at 00:00 to 02:00 Pacific for some feature upgrades and additions, and the third Oct 28th at 00:00 Pacific for another set of feature upgrades and additions. Each outage will have its own topic to discuss what has changed, and to collect feedback on the changes that have occurred.

When the changes have been applied, I'll post here again and summarize the changes completed. Please post to this topic if you notice anything amiss in the changes made, or to provide much needed feedback on any of the new features implemented!

Thanks again for your patience!

Last Post before Downtime!!

(edited for fun)

Complete! A number of the back-end server services were updated, including PHP, and PHPBB is now updated to the latest version (3.0.11). The local apache/php compile was a bit slower than expected, but from what I can see, per our test prior to updating the live server, the board seems to be running well as expected!

Let me know if you notice anything amiss!

Thanks folks. I only remembered this downtime part way through breakfast when the forum disappeared! I'll do better next time...............

Jeremy Harris said:
Thanks folks. I only remembered this downtime part way through breakfast when the forum disappeared! I'll do better next time...............

So will I. Hope the global announcement of the next server outage on Thursday/Friday is good and prominent!

Since the downtime, I cannot enter the wiki anymore. It just shows these errors:

Code:
Strict Standards: Declaration of Auth_phpBB::modifyUITemplate() should be compatible with AuthPlugin::modifyUITemplate(&$template, &$type) in /home/sphere/public_html/w/extensions/Auth_phpBB.php on line 81

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sphere/public_html/w/extensions/Auth_phpBB.php:81) in /home/sphere/public_html/w/includes/WebResponse.php on line 22

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sphere/public_html/w/extensions/Auth_phpBB.php:81) in /home/sphere/public_html/w/includes/WebResponse.php on line 22

MRVass has been working on the wiki back-end so that people that have usernames and/or passwords with non-standard characters (like myslef!) can still log in and contribute. So for the next couple days until that is finished the wiki access may become sporadic.

-Justin

crossbreak said:
Since the downtime, I cannot enter the wiki anymore. It just shows these errors:

Code:
Strict Standards: Declaration of Auth_phpBB::modifyUITemplate() should be compatible with AuthPlugin::modifyUITemplate(&$template, &$type) in /home/sphere/public_html/w/extensions/Auth_phpBB.php on line 81

Hi- Any words about the tapatalk app for android support for ES forum? Tapatalk info: http://www.tapatalk.com/

I have asked Justin about this while ago and he told me that he forward to MrVass. What happened? I just hate ES's own forum app for android
due many problem cant see the pictures attachment or when longer I read forum cause error cache something has do with memory exhaust on ES app.

I prefer tapatalk app and they are excellent app for android and iphone. Lastly, They are free add listed in tapatalk network to see your ES forum on list.

Basic tapatalk functionality has been enabled, you can find the forum by searching for "Endless Sphere" on the tapatalk app.

Ohhhhhhh I love you!!!!! (No I am not gay). Now I am very happy use my paid tapatalk app. THANK YOU A ZILLION!!!

mrvass said:
Basic tapatalk functionality has been enabled, you can find the forum by searching for "Endless Sphere" on the tapatalk app.

rodgah said:
my most used app just went from safari to tapatalk........ :lol:
thanks a million guys, makes browsing so much easier on iphones....which is what I do 90% of the time.

Hey good to hear that this is being useful to folks. We also have the back-end for forum-runner still loaded on our PHPBB panel back from when Trevor briefly had the mobile ES app, so if some users have a strong preference of that interface over tapatalk we could potentially enable it too.

Only thing we are somewhat cautious about is that the overall post quality doesn't go down from people tapping shorthand on their mobile devices rather than contributing meaningful and thought out content with a keyboard. So for browsing on a mobile it's no issue, but for posting I'd recommend having some restraint to wait until at a real computer.

-Justin

justin_le said:
Only thing we are somewhat cautious about is that the overall post quality doesn't go down from people tapping shorthand on their mobile devices rather than contributing meaningful and thought out content with a keyboard. So for browsing on a mobile it's no issue, but for posting I'd recommend having some restraint to wait until at a real computer.

-Justin

This gets my vote!

I pretty much ignore posts written in "text speak", as I find it indecipherable much of the time (probably an age thing................ :wink: )

just as long as it doesn't get harder for the people like me who post pretty much exclusively from a mobile device, anything making it more difficult, makes it more difficult! :lol:

justin_le said:
MRVass has been working on the wiki back-end so that people that have usernames and/or passwords with non-standard characters (like myslef!) can still log in and contribute. So for the next couple days until that is finished the wiki access may become sporadic.

-Justin

Justin,

It looks like those with non-standard character usernames still can not log in to the wiki. Is this still on the to do list?

Cheers, Adrian

Back