ES Site Maintenance and Upgrades, Oct 22nd - 30th

Arlo1 said:
What's with all the outages lately?

Good question. ES started running r e a l l y slow this morning at around 07:30 (GMT), with frequent time outs. By 08:00 GMT it was just showing the SQL error message, like it has done all day here. The site has been down for around 10 hours today.

Yea id be happy to donate some money if it can help keep the outages at bay ?

It's hard to complain about something that's free , but the problem seem to be in responding to the outage.

Is there only one person who can fix the problems that happen ? I help run another vbasic forum and we have
similar issues , but the good thing is we have 3 admins who can help restart/clean up as needed. It's also offered
free with no commercial support so I do understand the challenges.

Overall server memory usage has been up since we added features to the forums, but previous outages were tied to suboptimal maintenance service scheduling, which has been fixed, but it seems that was not the only source of the memory issues that caused the table crash we experienced this morning. To be on the safe side we're doubling the memory on the server, until we see a better method for resource allocation to the backend logging/maintenance processes. Sorry for duration of the outages of late!

That would explain why all my topics are quiet. This has been on and off for me for about 2 weeks. It's amazing how much I rely on this site. I look forward to waking up in the morning to check es and I can't go a day with out logging in :)

mrvass said:
Overall server memory usage has been up since we added features to the forums, but previous outages were tied to suboptimal maintenance service scheduling, which has been fixed, but it seems that was not the only source of the memory issues that caused the table crash we experienced this morning. To be on the safe side we're doubling the memory on the server, until we see a better method for resource allocation to the backend logging/maintenance processes. Sorry for duration of the outages of late!
Please tell me you're running in a farm and not hosting on a co-located single machine. :?
~KF

Kingfish said:
Please tell me you're running in a farm and not hosting on a co-located single machine.

If it was good enough for Grandpappy, it's good enough for me!

Marty thinks that owning and maintaining your own server is like owning a cow. It is easier and cheaper to buy gallons of milk. I use
http://www.domain-website-hosting.com/
Think they are a reseller for
http://www.godaddy.com/
I am happy. Server almost never goes down.

Since this has been brought back up here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63845&start=0#p956145
I thought I'd ask some questions:

--Should a new thread, stickied for a little whle as a Global Announcement, be started for this?

--I know very simple HTML, and could probably build a landing page that has something like an ES banner across it's top that is a link to the root of the forums itself, and then thumbnails of images that each are also a link to the build thread for that particular bike. It would be a very simple grid with rows of small thumbnails resized to all fit right next to each other like one giant borderless collage. (I don't know tables and all that stuff so I don't know much of any other way to do it).

Just to have *something* better/more informative than the green/blue logo we've got right now, I'd meant to start something like this before, while this thread was still running, using what's already posted above, but life and events since pushed it out of mind.

--I don't have internet access most of the time, so what I'd need to do is gather links to pages and images from people, then type it all up at home from clipboard/notepad entries, and resize the pics to thumbnails, then have a way to send all the thumbnails to someone in charge of webspace on ES for them to put in a folder named as I've typed up the HTML (or tell me what to call it before I make the page). The ones already in this thread will help, but I am sure there are more not yet posted. If this is something people would want it done like, then could they post the image and the link they want it to point to?

--If simple HTML isn't enough for the landing page, then someone else will have to do it, cuz I don't have any of the stuff or knowledge needed for anything more complex than "written in Notepad" HTML. ;)

What I *wish* I could do is somethign that automatically poppe dup the full size image as you mouse over the thumbnail, with a description in a frame around it, but that's way beyond my means.

Back