Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

fizzit said:
speedict said:
you can replace with smaller shunt value but will affect its accuracy because measuring range is wider e.g. 0-200A

Cool! And the firmware would allow that?

Edit: I mean the android software. If I mod the shunt can it show up to 200A? or will it still max out at 99.9?

yes, don't need any software upgrade for it since no display restriction on current field.

do you want it for your castle application ? we have RC firmware for rc application, can you tell me your voltage limit ? 55V ok ?

TheBeastie said:
I noticed that the photos and videos on the speedict web site are pretty dated, that Sony Ericson phone is a Symbian phone I am pretty sure, I think even Nokia admit that Symbian is a deceased phone OS.

the model of sony ericsson on website is RAY which is android phone !

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_ray-3972.php

Attachments

• throttle range define.jpg
    throttle range define.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,098
TheBeastie said:
Does any one know if this device can showAh/KM? as in AmpHours per Kilometer? Which is what I believe the CA can do or Wh etc. Can't see anything about it on the web page.
Any one compared this to a CA? I can't help but think it is better/cleaner deal if you got an Android smart phone as long as its got all the same features as a CA.

Wh/km is possible.

N!co said:
TheBeastie said:
Does any one know if this device can showAh/KM? as in AmpHours per Kilometer? Which is what I believe the CA can do or Wh etc. Can't see anything about it on the web page.
Any one compared this to a CA? I can't help but think it is better/cleaner deal if you got an Android smart phone as long as its got all the same features as a CA.

Wh/km is possible.

thanks.

I bought a ZTE Blade III to use exclusively on my bike for Speedict.
However, this phone has Android 4.0.4 and the Speedict eBike app isn't compatible as it seems.
I was in contact with Danny regardig this and he had no solution. I searched the net for other ROMs with no luck.

Has anyone here had any luck with Android 4.0.4 and the app?

/Anders

speedict said:
N!co said:
I run it on 4.04 on my SGS2, no problem.

i don't mean that 4.0.4 is incompatible, the reason is 4.0.4 is custom ROM not official from Google, some phone company modify "too much" without fully tested ! i have friend with custom ROM phone without Google maps installed :D

So it seems I was just unlucky when I choose my phone....
I should have picked the one next to it with 2.3 but too late now. Maybe I should go for the CA instead if it is an unfixable problem.

The app gave some kind of crash report and since I'm kinda new to this whole android thing I just pressed "send report" without knowing where that info went. To Speedict I hope:)

If you got it, please look into it when you have some resources to spare from the eBike V2 project.

Any suggestion on how to get a non tweaked OS onto the phone is greatly appreciated.

/Anders

speedict said:
yes, don't need any software upgrade for it since no display restriction on current field.

do you want it for your castle application ? we have RC firmware for rc application, can you tell me your voltage limit ? 55V ok ?

Yup that is exactly what I would use it for. 55V would work well.
I think I will buy a speedict after X-mas, if santa doesn't bring me one. :)

fizzit said:
speedict said:

Yup that is exactly what I would use it for. 55V would work well.
I think I will buy a speedict after X-mas, if santa doesn't bring me one. :)

i may be your santa :D

fizzit said:
Sorry if this has already been covered! I just searched the thread and couldn't find anything. But how would the speedict handle spikes of up to 160A? Is it possible to modify it to allow this much current? My bike does not use more than 40 or 50 amps continuous but I think that the current can reach 160 amps for a small amount of time.

have you ever tried / measured or logged 160A by castle's data logger ?

speedict said:
have you ever tried / measured or logged 160A by castle's data logger ?

Unfortunately I have not downloaded the data log in a long time, so I don't know how accurate it is. I just downloaded it and I don't see any measurements above 60A, which is surprising. I think the log might be from when I had a smaller motor.
If you told me the part number of the shunt that is used in Speedict, would it be possible for me to order another shunt and solder it on top of the one that is already in the speedict? That way, it could measure exactly twice as much.

speedict said:
Sinusoidal vs. Trapezoidal Commutation, dynamic change via Android Device

[youtube]yFecre8dacY[/youtube]

I've been looking unsuccessfully for a field oriented controller for ebike motors to reduce noise from torque ripple and here I see one demonstrated which is nice. Can I buy it? How does this relate to the Speedict product? Is the Speedict going to be built in to motor controllers in future, will there be two products or is this a side project? Also the heading says "dynamic change via Android Device" and I'm wondering why you would want dynamic change other than for demo videos. Once you have FOC I can't see any reason to change back.

Ken Taylor said:
Can I buy it? How does this relate to the Speedict product? Is the Speedict going to be built in to motor controllers in future, will there be two products or is this a side project?

it is still not available, we stopped the development for a while because we are busy on Speedict Mercury, Mars, Venus and Jupiter production in recent month, we will resume the development later after those products launched, on the other hand this is just a speed controller without any surprise, internally we treat it as base module, on top of it is feature we developing on Mars, Mercury such devices e.g. Android / iPhone client, remote firmware upgrade, cloud data store, live view, data logging, throttle controls etc. ....

Ken Taylor said:
Also the heading says "dynamic change via Android Device" and I'm wondering why you would want dynamic change other than for demo videos. Once you have FOC I can't see any reason to change back.

you are right, just for demo purpose, however having both type of commutation change dynamically can compare the efficiency :D

speedict said:
Ken Taylor said:
Can I buy it? How does this relate to the Speedict product? Is the Speedict going to be built in to motor controllers in future, will there be two products or is this a side project?

it is still not available, we stopped the development for a while...

Wow that was a fast reply. I thought FOC controllers would be available in the RC world similar to this trapezoidal ESC from hobby King http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=10331 but as far as I can tell they aren't available anywhere. I can't understand why all BLDC motors that use hall sensors are not FOC as their doesn't seem to be any negatives except perhaps MCU cost. Is their a gap in the market, is it the extra MCU cost or is it something I'm missing?

Ken Taylor said:
Wow that was a fast reply. I thought FOC controllers would be available in the RC world similar to this trapezoidal ESC from hobby King http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=10331 but as far as I can tell they aren't available anywhere.

it is difficult to develop Sinusoidal commutation controller on rc world because its lack of hall sensor, also rc just need high rpm instead !

Ken Taylor said:
I can't understand why all BLDC motors that use hall sensors are not FOC as their doesn't seem to be any negatives except perhaps MCU cost. Is their a gap in the market, is it the extra MCU cost or is it something I'm missing?

Sinusoidal commutation is complicated on both hardware and software that's what you referred to "cost" e.g. hall timing and sequence is critical on sinusoidal, Trapezoidal communication need to control 1 x pwm signal but Sinusoidal need 3 ...
you can see most of the china made speed controller still use transistor to drive its mosfet because of COST, cost is everything to them, i have conversation with "some of them" as per their mindset if they can save $1 component cost each, when sold 10,000 units they can save $10,000 :D they don't even think about if they put $2 component cost they can sold 100,000 units :D

speedict said:
Ken Taylor said:
Wow that was a fast reply. I thought FOC controllers would be available in the RC world similar to this trapezoidal ESC from hobby King http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=10331 but as far as I can tell they aren't available anywhere.

it is difficult to develop Sinusoidal commutation controller on rc world because its lack of hall sensor, also rc just need high rpm instead !

I understand most of the noise in RC motors is from torque ripple which Sinusoidal commutation would remove and that would be very nice.

I only just realised that field oriented control and sine control is not the same thing from this post by Burtie at http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44910#p654534 but the R8C/25 application note you posted says on pg3, "As many
brushless motors have sinusoidal BEMF (called Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors PMSM), it is possible to
match these motors with a sinusoidal driving voltage". Therefore for these motors FOC and sinusoidal commutation produces the same controller output and the sinusoidal commutation algorithm is simpler. Burtie's Microchip dsPIC33 kit has algorithms for sensorless position detection that would be suitable for sinusoidal commutation but he finds it complicated to get them to work as described at http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44910#p654203

speedict said:
Ken Taylor said:
I can't understand why all BLDC motors that use hall sensors are not FOC as their doesn't seem to be any negatives except perhaps MCU cost. Is their a gap in the market, is it the extra MCU cost or is it something I'm missing?

Sinusoidal commutation is complicated on both hardware and software that's what you referred to "cost" e.g. hall timing and sequence is critical on sinusoidal, Trapezoidal communication need to control 1 x pwm signal but Sinusoidal need 3 ...

The hardware cost could make it uneconomic but software cost, is once off and if sinusoidal is better it should be able to be spread across every motor controller sold. It needs good engineers but Speedict seems to have them.

speedict said:
you can see most of the china made speed controller still use transistor to drive its mosfet because of COST, cost is everything to them, i have conversation with "some of them" as per their mindset if they can save $1 component cost each, when sold 10,000 units they can save $10,000 :D they don't even think about if they put $2 component cost they can sold 100,000 units :D

I'm interpreting your statement "they don't even think about if they put $2 component cost they can sold 100,000 units" as a belief that there is a gap in the market.

Ken Taylor said:
speedict said:
Ken Taylor said:

I understand most of the noise in RC motors is from torque ripple which Sinusoidal commutation would remove and that would be very nice.

I only just realised that field oriented control and sine control is not the same thing from this post by Burtie at http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44910#p654534 but the R8C/25 application note you posted says on pg3, "As many
brushless motors have sinusoidal BEMF (called Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors PMSM), it is possible to
match these motors with a sinusoidal driving voltage". Therefore for these motors FOC and sinusoidal commutation produces the same controller output and the sinusoidal commutation algorithm is simpler. Burtie's Microchip dsPIC33 kit has algorithms for sensorless position detection that would be suitable for sinusoidal commutation but he finds it complicated to get them to work as described at http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44910#p654203

speedict said:
Ken Taylor said:

The hardware cost could make it uneconomic but software cost, is once off and if sinusoidal is better it should be able to be spread across every motor controller sold. It needs good engineers but Speedict seems to have them.

speedict said:

I'm interpreting your statement "they don't even think about if they put $2 component cost they can sold 100,000 units" as a belief that there is a gap in the market.

FOC sensor-less is hard for e-bike market, for washing machine it is ok ...

Ken Taylor said:
speedict said:
FOC sensor-less is hard for e-bike market, for washing machine it is ok ...

Yes, that's what Burtie found.

but don't give up ! toshiba sent 2 engineers to our company last month as per their information toshiba japan is working on sensor-less dsp solution aiming this :D

Ken Taylor said:

hardware is one-off, design, prototype and production, one design can last for a year but software need keep on going for instance we have few A4 page of software roadmap but hardware just single page !

Nice, are they ready for shipping?
Maybe i can have it under the Christmas three :) :)

Cant wait to test an write a review, new engine is on its way to me to.

Like the orange sticker / batch to.

Back