How to shorten the wheelbase of a Bike E

Wow, i thought those things were made out of steel.

All these flexy flimsy recumbent designs scare me. The industry needs to give up on the idea of making these bikes as light as uprights. They need to be as stiff as uprights and that means throwing some extra metal at them, especially on bikes like this where you don't have geometry on your side!

My Rans Rocket is chromoly as well as my GFs Rans Tailwind. I got to tell you for speed and aero the Rocket wins easily, but for comfort...... that Tailwind soaks up the bumps like a Cadillac Fleetwood. It feels so nice it ridiculous.

The Bike E Is SUPER stiff. It has NO frame flex whatsoever, it just wasn't designed to take the kind of forces that that guy's big gas engine with CRAZY gearing put on it.

I would love (and may end up building) a chromoly Bike E so that it would have more flex in it.

Heh, that gas engine looks like a 50cc 4 stroke. Torque wise, it would be putting out far less than what our electric motors put out from a stall. It's all that torque being transmitted to the pivot point is what did it in.

Aluminum has AWFUL ride characteristics. IMHO i think it's only widespread these days because it's cheaper than chromoly.. that is it..

Sucks to see what happened to that bike though anyway!

neptronix said:
All these flexy flimsy recumbent designs scare me. The industry needs to give up on the idea of making these bikes as light as uprights. They need to be as stiff as uprights and that means throwing some extra metal at them, especially on bikes like this where you don't have geometry on your side!
On my semi-recumbent CrazyBike2, when I had a chain jam that would certainly have folded up a beam bike like his, it destroyed my rear wheel instead (and the chain itself, pulling it apart)--but it did not destroy the bike frame, because the frame was built to be strong for cargo, and couldn't flex along the line of chain tension like that.
http://electricle.blogspot.com/2009/12/blown-mosfets-due-to-chain-jam-possible.html
http://electricle.blogspot.com/2010/01/chainrings-are-all-evil.html

Says a lot for the strength of the chain.

I suspect some metal fatigue was involved. The frame likely flexed at that point for quite some time weakening that spot, till whammo.

This fatique issue is the main reason I don't recomend powering up really weak cheap frames much past 1500w.

It looks like the front forks are bent back also. There is more to the story than is told. The Corona beer sticker in bold lettering might be a clue.

Aluminum bike frames look nice & fat with the huge, almost comical welds, I bought only one and the ride was soo harsh even with the front suspension, i sold it two years later.

My cr-moly recumbent frame soaks-up small bumps just fine, like riding on a leaf spring 7 feet long.

I didn't notice the bent forks, that would imply that some kind of inertial event occured. Something along the lines of " while looking at my wattmeter I found a parked pickup truck".

StudEbiker said:
I think the bent forks may just be a result of the inevitable crash that happened. I don't think they are actually bent, they are just turned in relation to the handlebars.

Then the forks were put on backwards, or the steerer tube assembly was spun 180 deg. they're bent backwards bud. Take a closer look?

edit... the brake calipers seem to be in front like my older bikes were, yet the forks bend back, and the handle bars sideways, quite the puzzle indeed.

recumbent said:
StudEbiker said:
I think the bent forks may just be a result of the inevitable crash that happened. I don't think they are actually bent, they are just turned in relation to the handlebars.

Then the forks were put on backwards, or the steerer tube assembly was spun 180 deg. they're bent backwards bud. Take a closer look?

edit... the brake calipers seem to be in front like my older bikes were, yet the forks bend back, and the handle bars sideways, quite the puzzle indeed.

The brakes should be behind the fork on a Bike E. The fork is turned 180 deg. from where it should be. I think what may have happened is that the handle bars turned 90 deg. in the accident, then for whatever reason the fork was turned the wrong way for the picture.

Nothing about that front fork looks bent to me though. They look exactly like the forks on the two Bike Es I have (and all the other Bike Es I've ever seen), just turned backwards.

Back