2000w rated hub motor

PeeHell

100 W
I've been recently seeking for an ebike hub motor that has a great quality/price ratio. The best I've found is this one :
http://www.poltm.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=1093&tid=122&fid=

I decided to order it since the specs and price were looking great. I received the motor and let me tell you it looks very similar to the "large diameter cromotor" : http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=35924&p=530502&hilit=large#p530502

Here are the specs from the manufacturer :
Stator diameter: 266mm
Stator width (magnets): 24mm
Kv: 9.3rpm/v
Net weight: 8.95kg
Rated power: 2000w
Phase wire gauge: 4mm² (~11awg)
Dropout: 145mm
Max claimed efficiency:84.8%

Taken from the document with test graph and data:
View attachment 5

Disk brake screw holes:
20130103_162422.jpg

Nice overall paint quality :
View attachment 3

The only issue I've spotted so far : a "cone" instead of the freewheel adaptor...
View attachment 2

A closer look :
View attachment 1

Nice stock phase wire size ; less mod to do :
20130103_162642.jpg

This motor looks promising thus far. I'd like to hear opinions about it from you guys as well as a possible solution for the freewheel issue. Any comment are welcomed.
Pierre-Luc

That does look just like the motor i like to call the "deep dish" cromotor. :mrgreen: dimensions being +/- 1mm.
Might even be that a magic pie side cover bolts right on to that weird tapered side.

Can you get us a pic of the interior?

pie_pirelli2.jpg

This is what the magic pie stator looks like.

That is my next move when I'll have time. Great idea to try the magic pie cover swap. I have a magic pie in the garage ; it's worth having a look at that procedure.

$235 shipped from china is a hot deal
Was that by air by chance?
Great find man!
POLTM is working witch fcuking Bosch on magnesium hub motors
Yes the germans
The future is looking bright for wheel motors

Maybe the cone shaped side cover allows for a stronger side cover (1 piece maybe
Maybe some sort of taper lock
And the design may allow the freewheel to slip before you break it
I've broke two side covers in a week a few years ago stomping on the pedals in high gear

The shipping was from DHL and I received within 5 days ! I'm still looking for a freewheel solution. Maybe I could glue a freewheel with 3M DP420 epoxy. Will see...

Any chance that cone thing unscrews leaving standard freewheel threads?
otherDoc

When you gonna open that badboy up? :mrgreen:

Is the dropout spacing 150mm, btw?

What motor did you order? On the polaris website when I click through to and see the motor it shows 266 series, but when I search 266 series polaris on google I get a different motor:
http://www.poltm.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=99&tid=22&fid=

Did they have no problem with you buying just one?

It would be a shame if this was made for a moped and you can't easily mount a freewheel. Have you tried contacting polaris?

Thanks!

Does anyone have a link to the chinese language version of the polaris webpage?

Anyone speak Russian? The Russian ebike forums seems to have many users of polaris hub motors...

I love how they list all the specs for the most part
going so far as to list the steel hardness
1、Casing : 20 # steel
2、Magnet material: NdFeB
3、Enameled wire: QZ-2/130
4、Iron core: DW600
5、Shaft:40Cr/Q.T.: HRC22-28 Side outlet
6、Cable:3*1.5mm²+5*0.2mm²/Max.Tmp.:180˚C

It looks like the windings are only rated to 130C :(
while the phase wires are rated to 180C

How thick are DW600 laminations?

I copied the link in my first post.
I'll probably open it next weekend.
I've seen the other 266 motor before and I went with the all-black cover one because of the superior weight (probably because of a thicker stator).
I cannot unscrew the "cone" thing ; it's embedded in the side cover.

How do you expect to tighten the disc side axle nut without destroying the dropout, the axle face, or both?

Staton Inc. made a similar design mistake with their in-house RH/LH threaded hub.

Good eyes Chalo. I didn't notice that. Not much axle shoulder there. I can't tell from the pic if there is a shoulder further in, allowing the use of a spacer.

No big deal though, if you would, and you should be, using a pinch dropout torque plate on that side. Assuming of course that you'd be running this thing at at least 2x the rated 2000w. 8)

Chalo said:
How do you expect to tighten the disc side axle nut without destroying the dropout, the axle face, or both?

Staton Inc. made a similar design mistake with their in-house RH/LH threaded hub.

Solution: 100% tight fit custom washer :cry:

I didn't notice that..

The test data sheet I received indicates 2000w rated power. Chinese vendors often don't write the same information correctly...

Continuous wattage will vary with the voltage they are thinking of at any given time in the spec sheet :lol:

I can see how this motor would do 2000w continuous all day long in a smaller wheel like a 24" or 20". My magic pie could do about 1250W-1500W continuous all day in a 20" wheel, and that was with a narrower stator that had far more end turn loss and less efficiency than this as a result.

The stator on this baby is about 20-25% wider than on the magic pie, and the spec sheet indicates peak efficiency is maybe 3-4% higher, so 2000W continuous doesn't seem like a stretch. Lace this thing up to a 24" ( 20" might be difficult/impossible :lol: ) and let it rip!

Shameless thread bump..
Have you gotten anywhere with this?

Haven't had time yet. Just starting to figure out how to install at least a one gear freewheel on this motor. Not that easy...

Does the cone appear to be solid, or is it just a thin wall casting? Might be some option to machine down the cone and cut a thread, or press on a threaded insert

I think this is exactly what the greyborg team has done. I will probably go this way. Really looking forward to see this thing in action ; I think it will match the performance of the new expensive Crystalyte "The Crown".

Interesting motor.
I hope to see you riding it in the Mount Royal next summer :D
What frame are you building on ?

I doubt that it will be close to the new Clyte in performance, for it looks like it has less than half the copper.

Ultimate solution would be a motor that wide but with 50mm magnets and deep slots filled with copper. :)

Ah yes but you have no idea how powerful a tallboy can be. My magic pie was insane. And it could shed an incredible amount of heat thanks to it's tallness. This is more efficient and has ~20-25% more magnet than my magic pie.

I can't wait until you show us the guts and/or actually get it running.

I was going to reply the same as neptronix. I currently own a magic pie too and I think that a large diameter is the way to go. It's like "bonus torque" because simple physics principles gives you the extra torque.
I don't think this will outperform "The Crown", but for 1/3 of the price, it'll be the best price/performance motor for sure.
I'm currently planning to mount this motor on my Tidal Force S750, but I'm having a hard time fitting 24x 4s 5000mah hardcase on the frame....

Back