Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

As usual, great vids! Love the montage and soundtrack. Really nice. Have you rigged up a mouthguard-type mount or something??? Can't imagine how else you'd hold that sucker long enough to get a reasonably stable take.

Hyena said:
I'm thinking I'll swap the motor over to my customised diamond back frame but I'm also looking at new rides to convert. I really need to stop buying bikes but I have my eye on a mongoose ECX. They are pretty light (~12kg I think) but are surprisingly tough and also have removable dropouts which will make fabricating new integrated torque arm dropouts a breeze. I'm hoping to make the bike as close to 20kg as possible which should be pretty sweet with a 2kw motor and ~20km range. The triangle space is pretty minimal but if I can't fit it in there I'll fit it elsewhere. Even a small saddle bag would do.

Mongoose_ECX.jpg
hi jay just wondering what happened with this one?
i was going to ask you and others here what do you think about buying bikes on-line? There are some nice dual mtb on chain reaction cycles $1313 with 140mm travel front and back and and big discs.
www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75484
75484.jpg

probly a good size for you to.

I never ended up getting it, the guy wouldn't budge on the price he wanted for it and it turned it it was missing a seat post and a few other bits. I wasnt desperate for it anyway so I let it slide for now. I already have too many bikes in my garage so need to cut right back before I go buying more! I'm also looking at an old kona coiler which has much more triangle space and would ride nicer too at the expense of a few extra kg. It'd be great for offroading if I didn't have the fighter but I have too many similar things going on. I've still go this too that I've yet to build up and get going.

If it wasnt for that shock reservoir taking up space I could fit a nice pack and controller in there. I'll look into moving it one day when I get a chance. Again thought this bike would ride alot like my fighter so I'm not sure where and when I'd actually ride it. It's a bit heavy even with a geared motor for commuting and as much as the suspension would be nice over the bumps I really only need a light XC type bike.
Something like that one you linked on CRC would be ideal, and a good all purpose bike too. I'd definately recommend something like that to someone starting out. Shipping to AU is $200 though so not quite as cheap as it might first appear. That floating rear shock mount is interesting too! I guess it's engineered to be strong enough for general riding but not sure how well it'd hold up with a hub motor dangling and bashing around on the end of it...

Oh and those aren't what I'd call big discs! They look like standard 6"ers. Easily upgraded though and still looks like a good bike for the money.

Urrgh, I must stop wasting time on ES. I've got a uni thesis due tomorrow and I'm hardcore procrastinating! :roll:

That's looks too damn big for a geared motor. Did you just slam some gears into a H40 motor and call it geared? :wink:
Is that how you sell bikes these days? :mrgreen:

I give up. What is a uni thesis? All I found online are antithesis'. Is that what you wanted to type?

Trackman417 said:
That's looks too damn big for a geared motor. Did you just slam some gears into a H40 motor and call it geared? :wink:
Is that how you sell bikes these days? :mrgreen:
haha yeah that's the old H40 off my fighter, but I was saying that even with a geared motor it'd be a pretty chunky bike. And full throttle still managed to break it :p

I give up. What is a uni thesis? All I found online are antithesis'. Is that what you wanted to type?
haha uni = university.
thesis = dissertation
A dissertation or thesis is a document submitted in support of candidature for an academic degree or professional qualification presenting the author's research and findings.In some countries/universities, the word "thesis" or a cognate is used as part of a bachelor's or master's course, while "dissertation" is normally applied to a doctorate
Finishing this has been 7 years in the making! I keep putting it off and off but I've run out of excuses now (I played the cancer card last year :lol:) and have reached the time limit the uni allows for deferring and extensions. Anyway I'm wasting time again, stop talking to me :p

Hyena said:
haha uni = university.
thesis = dissertation
A dissertation or thesis is a document submitted in support of candidature for an academic degree or professional qualification presenting the author's research and findings.In some countries/universities, the word "thesis" or a cognate is used as part of a bachelor's or master's course, while "dissertation" is normally applied to a doctorate
Finishing this has been 7 years in the making! I keep putting it off and off but I've run out of excuses now (I played the cancer card last year :lol:) and have reached the time limit the uni allows for deferring and extensions. Anyway I'm wasting time again, stop talking to me :p

Never knew you were still in college! What was your paper on and what is your major? You are doing something I could never imagine doing. Working full time will attending college. I am having trouble keeping up with just a part time job and a full time at college. You got mad talent my man. Good luck, hope all goes well. 8) .

Trackman417 said:
Never knew you were still in college!
Well I'm not really, haven't been for over 10 years. This research is done largely at my work but I write up my findings to get a higher degree fro it. My work paid the uni fees all those years ago so all it costs me is my time. I can't tell you what the topic is buts lets just say it will revolutionize ebikes :wink: haha J/K, sadly it's relatively boring medical science. I'd much rather be doing paid R&D more along the lines of ebike stuff but then the novelty would probably wear off too.

full-throttle said:
Just saw this
No skills required :p
haha, I see 2 hyena-esq self videoing methodologies in that video :lol:

Blink and miss two dozen pages, happy new year Jay and followers :)
How does the direct chain length go with suspension travel on your Fighter? With the Zocco Rossa with N360 hub shifting would bind in their factory no-tensioner setup. When I put tensioner on could feel shifting eased up. With the Norco A-Line I found the direct chain limiting travel with shock disconnected but real world I don't know, plus its wheelbase looks a lot shorter than the Fighter so don't know if length there makes up for it?

full-throttle said:
Just saw this
No skills required :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-2hgsdeYyo

This would actually be very cool if you could put a dot or barcode on the back of your helmet and it followed you around. THEN I'd buy 10 of them!

deepfraught said:
How does the direct chain length go with suspension travel on your Fighter?
I'm not completely sure I understood what you were asking. But the suspension movement isn't really noticable when it comes to the chain moving. I think due to the way it pivots the BB is only moving say an inch with 4" of wheel travel, and if I'm going over rough stuff like that I'm usally standing up on the pedals anyway with my anatomical suspension (knees :p ) soaking up the bumps. There's only a single speed freewheel on the back so shifting doesn't come in to it.

Architectonic said:
So we'll have to start calling you Dr Hyena from now on. :lol:
haha sounds like a rad name for a comic book baddie :twisted:
Dr Hyena on his crazy high powered electric bike speeding away from the scene of the crime :lol:

Rutiger said:
This would actually be very cool if you could put a dot or barcode on the back of your helmet and it followed you around. THEN I'd buy 10 of them!
You wouldn't need a barcode, just something it could lock into. They've done it now with AR drones and brightly coloured patches on T shirts. I think I actually posted aobut it here last time this came up
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/follow-me-with-parrot-ar-drone-and-color-tracking

Using IR would be cool as it would be invisible and could very easily lock onto the light source without using fancy image recognition software, but then it'd show up in camera footage that sees the IR that human eyesight can't...

Hyena said:
You wouldn't need a barcode, just something it could lock into. They've done it now with AR drones and brightly coloured patches on T shirts. I think I actually posted aobut it here last time this came up
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/follow-me-with-parrot-ar-drone-and-color-tracking

Using IR would be cool as it would be invisible and could very easily lock onto the light source without using fancy image recognition software, but then it'd show up in camera footage that sees the IR that human eyesight can't...

Damn, and here I was thinking I was being original. :p

Rutiger said:
Damn, and here I was thinking I was being original. :p
LOL, there's alot of that going on around here.
"hey guys, I've just signed up but I've had this really good idea for an ebike. What if you could make it recharge while you pedal..." :lol:

Off topic, my wife rang after lunch today and said an epic storm was headed our way - driving rain, thunder, lightning, hale, frogs - the works. I knocked off early, walking outside to find it quite gloomy. I rode like the wind right towards the storm and it got black, so dark that the street lights started coming on (at 3pm!) I JUST made it into the driveway as a few drops of water hit me then seconds later the heavens opened up.
*CHECKPOINT* :lol:

20 minutes later the storm is in full force, lightning cracking about the place then the power goes off. I wander around for a bit and then realise I have absolutely nothing I can do without power. An hour later and the power is still off and at this point I thought it could be quite a while before it's back on. My wife was on her way home with the kids and they'd be coming home to a dark house. So I went out to the workshop and with the last of the available light hooked up an inverter to the kids 12v 18ah SLA from their electric buggy to charge my phone and laptop (essentials :p ).
I then set about making up lighting so we could move around and the kids wouldn't be scared. I had a few 9w 12v LED downlights which put out enough power to light a room which I wired up to a few 5ah 3S lipo packs. These would last until bed time and hopefully the next day the power would be back on. But 2 of my 3 packs were only half charged, so out to the car to use its battery to power the BC618 to charge them up before dark.

charger.jpg

My wife comes home to see the below array of battery power I'd assembled and I start explaining how I've got lighting plans set up, enough for the night etc. I went on to say how the batteries in my stealth fighter were fully charged and would offer heaps of power for other things if needed, or to quickly recharge the other batteries.
She shook her head and said "what are you doing ? We'll just go and stay at my dads for the night"
15 minutes later and our soft warm white led illuminated romantic take away dinner came to an end as he lights suddenly came back on and put an end to all my fun.
It was then I realised that of course the power was never going to be out for long - we only live 20km from Sydney CBD and the storm wasn't THAT big!
But yeah, for some reason I was preparing for the zombie apocalypse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to know I'll be prepared when the day comes :mrgreen:

apocalypse-training.jpg

I think Greg would agree with me that as residents of the capitol city of the USA, your electric power is 10 times more reliable than ours :shock:

NIce one Jay. very entertaining story :)
Its great to have the skills and hardware to be able to keep the tec running when no mains power is available.
Have you thought about putting a deep cycle battery on your solar panel(s)?? . I've though about using a deep cycle 12v sla with a moderate solar panel so i have a back up supply for the zombie appocalypse and conveniently charge my lipo to.

GCinDC said:
Your new fans might be interested to know that (before you got HUGE)
No need to make fun of my recent weight gain :p

dbaker said:
I think Greg would agree with me that as residents of the capitol city of the USA, your electric power is 10 times more reliable than ours :shock:
I did actually think of you guys and the days of power outages Greg has mentioned before. And you seem to really cop it there too. Qld gets the floods and the cyclones but we're pretty right here this far south.

pendragon8000 said:
Have you thought about putting a deep cycle battery on your solar panel(s)?? . I've though about using a deep cycle 12v sla with a moderate solar panel so i have a back up supply for the zombie appocalypse and conveniently charge my lipo to.

Yeah I'm looking into it. I have a modest size solar array on my roof and I'm fortunate to have gotten a contract on the last of the good buy back schemes. They buy my power at 66c/kw but in 2017 it runs out and they'll give me bugger all for it. Currently they're buying it at a pathetic 8c/kw and selling it back for 20-40c so there's next to no incentive to buy solar now. When my contract runs out I'll set up a large bank of SLAs (been looking at 100 and 200ah) and charge them up through the day to then power the house of a night. It wont be enough to run the whole place but it'll offset things a bit. I was also thinking I could also charge the SLAs off the grid power during the off peak period in the middle of the night and then run off battery when it's peak period and 5x the price :wink:
And thats just at todays prices, I'd hate to think what it'll be in 4 years time.

Solar panels have gotten pretty cheap now though so I'm thinking about buying more and adding onto my existing system which still getting good buy back for the power. They'd pay for themselves in the next 2 years and would then help me run off grid better in the future. I'd have to buy a more powerful inverter though which is another fairly large cost. I've been looking at cheap(ish) inverters online but I'm not sure how they compare with the solar ones. 3kw pure sine wave inverters can be had for about $400 delivered. The solar specific ones are several times that price - up around the 2 grand mark. Gotta do some more research

I've joked with mates that if you really wanted to scam a bit of extra cash what you could do is set up a large bank of batteries and charge them up off peak for 8c/kw during the night.
Then during the day feed that power back into the grid via your inverter for 66c/kw. That's 58c/kw profit :lol:
I'm sure the outlay for a huge bank of SLAs and low voltage DC-grid inverter wouldn't be worth it but in theory if you already had the batteries it'd work. Heh

Back on topic, I was clearing out some hard drive space and came across this old footage from one of my commutes. It illustrates nicely the moron mentality that so many cars have towards bikes :roll:

[youtube]WlVc7geveLo[/youtube]

Thats amazing buddy and yes I see this all the time, a while back folks were saying to me why dont you make your ebike go faster than 30mph surely you want it to do 40 at least? and my answer was no because car drivers will still overtake me, they see bike and they think overtake overtake overtake I can understand it in some ways as some cyclists can be unpredictable, wobble, suddenly turn etc, its just hard coded in to drivers heads, I dont take it personally these days, if they want to pass I let them, this dumb ass though only needed to wait 1 second? it shows how compelling the urge to overtake a bike is doesnt it.

In the US where I live, we (The Fuzz) have a nickname for drivers like that, we call them "waterheads". There is nothing but fluid where their brain should be. And whats really scary is waterheads out number the commen sense types 2 to 1. I guess the sense isn't that commen.

Rick

Back