Adding pictures?

There is a jpeg attribute that says 'the image is flipped this way' that the iphone probably inserts into the file.
This is not read by all software, and is quite new.
Not a phpbb problem. It happens with practically all web forums, sites etc. The 'problem' is that they do not look at the jpeg and rotate it before spitting it out to the browser. I don't think browsers have the ability to deal with this either.
Other pieces of software should react the same too.

Conclusion: Apple's iPhone plays by it's own rules. I bet it works great with iPhoto, iTunes, or on an iMac... :lol:

interesting

I thought I followed all the prompts etc when uploading some pictures with my last thread I started but my uploads left a link in the post that you have to click to view the pictures instead of showing up with the text and the rest of the post. ..................... Is there a step by step guide for how to post pictures on this forum or am I missing something simple. I was told by a member to paste the link but the instructions I was given did not really help me much...........thanks Wayne

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14748&p=230300&#p230300

Wayne, Tyler's advice worked. I edited your pix to be less than 800 pixels wide and placed them inline just like you did with the originals. They were a bit wider than 800 pixels originally. Guess it is a "magic number" we have to remember and keep the pix's width narrower.

i've found a way that saves me lots of time in adding photos with google plus

prerequisite: google account and smartphone w/ camera

1. install google plus from market place or play store or whatever it is on android now - not sure if google plus runs on iphone..
2. configure google plus to upload photos instantly to private album (or public if you prefer), when on wifi (or whenever)
3. take pictures of your ebike
4. open private album on google + from computer (use a bookmark, but if you've already got it open, it will always refresh)
5. view detail image (double click on it from album), resize browser window so image size is not too big and right click to copy image url (chrome)
googleplus_copyurl.jpg
6. in ES posting, click "Img" button and paste the url between the < img > tags
7. preview post to verify images work

notes:
- the photos are clearly not 'private' since the image url is visible to all, but no one can browse to them, and nothing in the url seems to reveal my identity, at least not yet! :lol:
- resizing the browser scales the image according, but also somehow changes the image url, particularly the last 'folder' in the URL path ".../s768/20120529_210441.jpg". i can change the 's768' or whatever it is to s400 to display the image at 400 pixels wide. or to s800 to display it at 800...

TylerDurden said:
Except your name in the album caption.
thanks. fixed. i just put the screenshot to show folks the google plus side, where you can edit and share your photos with people in your circles or whomever..

i know a bunch of ES member are sharing albums and creating circles, which is great, but yes, actual names there appear to be obvious. but i still don't understand a lot of the privacy settings.. definitely worth another topic.

Some info garnered from older posts from unrelated threads, but asking about posting pics:

amberwolf said:
Even a camera like that can easily take bigger pics. If that is the size it comes out from the camera, you should check it's menu to set it for highest resolution it will do. (yes the pics will be too big to upload, we'll fix that later).

Then see if it has a Macro mode, and turn it on.

Many cameras that have a physical zoom lens can take much better pictures if you stand away from the subject and zoom in on it; especially if it is a smaller item (like a component or PCB area).

If you can't get close enough and can't zoom in without blurriness, take the pic as clearly as you can at the highest res you can.

Get the pics into the computer, and open each one in Paint if you're using Windows.

CTRL-A to select all, then drag the pic toward the upper left corner until only the thing you're trying to show is in the picture at that corner.

Scroll down until you see whitespace, and click there to deselect everything. Now a little black dot will show up at the very edge of the whitespace at the bottom right corner. Grab that, and drag it up and left until it meets the picture.

Continue dragging until it "erases" all of the picture below and to the right of what you are trying to show.

Now you should just have the part of the image you want to upload. File - Save As and give it a useful name.

If what your'e trying to show is really tiny or detailed but needs a big pic to show, you may not be able to upload it to ES in a useful size. If so, go to http://picasa.google.com and sign up, then upload your pics there. You can then link to them here on ES with the IMG tags when posting.

If the pic might be small enough, try uploading it to ES in a post, and if it will not upload then it can be resized down easily enough. You can use Paint which can resize using CTRL-W and a percentage, or you can use a resizer program like AT32resizer, or similar. Only make it just small enough to upload.

If it's as small as the one you have above, it's too small to be useful in troubleshooting, most likely. ;)

amberwolf said:
mxmtech said:
Re: "Then I copy the URL for the image itself, " how do you copy a URL? I don't know what a URL is (or tags)

Ah, sorry. A URL is the link to something on the web, like http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew is the link to see all the new posts on DIY Electric Car forums, and http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=30978 is the link or URL to the image you posted above.

If you right click on almost any image on the web, your browser should have in the little menu that pops up the option to "Copy Image Location" or "Copy Link Location", "Copy URL", "Copy Target Location", or something similar. Firefox uses the first of those to put the URL of the image in the clipboard, so you can paste it into a post on a forum or an email or wherever you want to.

As for tags, they are just the things forums and browsers use to know how to manipulate the text you type in (or paste in) to display it correctly.

In most forums, ES and DIYEC included, the message editor has buttons just above where you type your message to do various things, and they are done internally by putting tags at the start and end of whatever you are changing.

This includes Quote, so that others can easily distinguish someone else's words from your own, when you quote others, since just using " " marks can get kind of lost in long messages (especially mine). That's what I used at the top of this post to quote you, by copying and pasting that part of your post into mine, then selecting the text and clicking the Quote button.

Image tags are similar, so that if you have an image you either can't upload or don't want to, you can link to wherever it is on the web instead, and have it still display as an image.

Actually uploading the images using my blog is easy; same thing using Picasa's website itself. I don't use the Picasa program, as it has behaviors I don't like that I can't turn off.

amberwolf said:
Paul.............D said:
HOW DO YOU GET TO DISLAY THE PICTURES ON THE PAGE ?????
Since you're using Picasa:
--Open your posting window here at ES
--Open a new window (or tab) and go to your actual Picasaweb page showing just the picture you want (not the thumbnails page).
--Right click on the picture
--choose "copy image link" or "copy image URL", or "copy image location" whatever shows there in your browser's context menu for "image".
--switch to your posting window here
--click "Img" in the buttons above the posting text window
--click right between the {img}{/img} tag brackets
--paste the link (it should then look like {img}http://picasaweb.google.com/imagelinkblahblah219087298753987945whatever.jpg{/img} )

Repeat for every image you want to post.

It helps a lot to make sure the images are smaller than 640x480.

One thing to mention regarding Picasaweb:

The picasaweb album where pictures reside must have security set to "anyone with the link" or "public".

If it is a private album, only the owner can see the images.

I just gave up trying. I"m middle-aged and computers are not my game really. My browse-button does not work. Been posting thousands of pictures on countless sites, but i can not learn this system, somebody would had to teach me hand-in-hand before i would possibly understand. On other sites you just hit "browse", choose your image there, and then add it. You may have to resize, but that"s normal. On this forum i have no clue how to do it. I even have a PB-account, but can not copy a link from there. PB says "copied", but it does not work. There"s no link in the memory.
I do not understand why it has to work this way on this forum, this forum is great otherwise. To RC Groups example it is very easy to post images, done that a lot.

No idea why the Browse button does not work..I have done it on Mac, Windows and Ubuntu machines and it always works fine. Sounds more liek a browser compatibility issue. have you tried with different web browsers..Firefox, Chrome, Opera?

Sounds like a virus.
Download and burn (or have someone else do it, or send away for one) a copy of linux (ubuntu/linux mint etc) and boot the computer from the cd and see if it works in that. If it does and doesn't under your regular OS your os is infected.

pacamu said:
i get this
20130430_173539_5.jpg(121.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
need some help posting pics grrrrrrrrrrrr
if you can be more explicit, someone might be able to help you... when do you get the message? you hooking a camera to a computer? using android phone and google+? whatever you're doing may seem obvious to you, but w/o describing it, no one knows what you're doing...

Well,
I just looked thru 4 pages of posts about
"Adding pictures?"

NOT even once did I see anything about-
THE size limit for the pictures
size as in- mb's
Yes I did see the 800 wide many times

I just try a question I have post and see if I can
get er done or not ?

Geeez---!

thanks

johnnyfoos said:
as you see, you can upload attachments that are larger, but they won't display when you "place inline".

but now that they are uploaded, you can click the "Img" button, and paste the image URL inside so that it looks like this:
Code:
[img]http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=108852[/img]
and then the image, no matter how big will display:
file.php

bear in mind that most folks won't be able to see the right side when it gets over 900px wide...

GCinDC said:
johnnyfoos said:
as you see, you can upload attachments that are larger, but they won't display when you "place inline".

but now that they are uploaded, you can click the "Img" button, and paste the image URL inside so that it looks like this:
Code:
[im g]http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=108852[/img]
and then the image, no matter how big will display:
[im g]http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=108852[/img]
bear in mind that most folks won't be able to see the right side when it gets over 900px wide...

ok thanks for that did notice the pic cuts off the right side
and using the img code to paste

Hi,

How do I add a Youtube clip with the screenshot of the video instead of just the link. I've been playing around with the buttons, but so far I've only managed to paste in the link, which can be missed.

Max

Back