XPD: open-source keywin e-bike lab replacement

has anybody tried to install the required files from "xpd-windows-prereq" (i.e. python-2.7.1.msi , pygtk-all-in-one-2.22.6.win32-py2.7.msi and pyserial-2.5.win32.exe) and run the latest XPD (v0.3.2) on windows 8 ? I can't get "pyserial-2.5.win32.exe" installed. I receive an error message "pyserial-2.5.win32.exe doesn't work properly" . any suggestions?

Mate just installed Win 8 and I have asked him to see if he can install it, and pointed him to this thread, he may get back to use with either results or to see how you have got on.

My guess is that it will should run fine (if all the drivers etc are installed). If not I would try compatibility mode.

Just wondering, is your machine with Win8 64 bit ? You don't mention that at all.

I sort of assumed most new PC's were all 64 bit now? I don't know i have not bought a new Win machine in almost 10 years ( went Mac in 2009)

it is a brand new notebook running 64bit win8. Besides XPD , other of my applications require USB<>RS232 cables. Some of those I have use the Prolific PL-2303 XA. I wanted to get the newest driver for win8 from their website only to know that this chip is not 'compatible' anymore...
r

You tried to install the 32 bit psyserial stuff, on a 64 bit machine. Maybe that is the issue?

I think I saw 64 bit versions on the berlios Xpd page. Maybe worth checking back on the download site to see. Or seeifthere is a 32 bit compatible mode that can be used

thx for the hint - I googled for it and came up with:

• pyserial 2.6 : "Python Serial Port Extension for Win32, Linux, BSD, Jython, IronPython" , thus definitely not win64
  • Pyserial installation on 64 bit win7 : some explanation how to install it via installer
  • Install pySerial as follows :
    download "pyserial-2.6.tar.gz" and extract (e.g. with 7-Zip) folder "pyserial-2.6" to c:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\pyserial-2.6 and install it:
    Open a command window (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt) and type to change directory: cd c:\Python27\Lib\site-packages-\pyserial-2.6 , then install pySerial by typing: c:\Python27\python.exe setup.py install

I will try this - any suggestions? r

FYI Guys

The default over-current window is one second in this code. That may be alright for a 40A controller... but if you are running any sort of a monster you really need to turn that down to 0. I made the mistake of leaving it at 1 second for a lot of our builds and I suspect it is the cause of the unruly handling of our test bikes and likely the cause of the 2 bench blowups that happened.

If you are reading this and you are running a high current limit - please turn that setting down to 0 to improve reliability
(as suggested by the software author in the pop-up windows)

This software rocks!

-methods

Dumb question time...
I have a couple batches of new 3-series controllers (6 & 18 fet)
updated all the software & made corrected jumpers.....
the new software works fine with the older 2 series controllers so I know my ttl/usb is working......

But i have yet to succesfully flash the newer boards.....i have checked & re-assembled the jumper adapters on pg 13/14 of this thread with no joy....

my question? is it possible forthe the ttl adapter to not work with the newer boards? I am stuck on the idea that if it works for 1 it should work for the other.....

here is the EB306-A-5 connector points (freash board
SAM_0158_zps9aa4384d.jpg

& the 18fet board:
SAM_0159_zps55bf02fc.jpg

notice the pins are labeled diferently between the 2 models...is there some wackyness between the boards.....these came from Kewyn.

any insight is greatly apreciated.

Software different for EB3xx boards.
Have you got latest XPD or Keywin software?.
I had this issue with a new Lyen board, I ended up ordering a new cable from him. Bit came with a 3 inch extension with jumper attached from pin ? to pin ? Sorry not got cable with me to check. This is maybe what you refer to with your reference to page 13/14 of the thread? Will need to get back to you with pics later.

But anyway, even new cable did not initially work till I updated the driver. Have you tried other software yet?

any test with android phone ?

I use now a USB host cable , I have found a pilot for the COM/USB converter and it now possible to read python file with android

so i'ts possible to program my controler ?

other , I test yesterday to use XPD whith EB806 board but it's don't work ? it's though a XC846 infineon chip ...

Thud said:
my question? is it possible forthe the ttl adapter to not work with the newer boards? I am stuck on the idea that if it works for 1 it should work for the other.....

Yes, tested this evening, I have two different cables, both from Lyen. One works on a new 6 FET from Keywin, the other does not. Sorry but I did nto get time to open the case up and see what board number exactly..but they only arrived from Keywin yesterday. I have a wheel to lace and a battery pack to assemble, plus a shed of other small jobs, so it totally slipped my mind to open one up today

I just wanted to pop back in and repeat how happy I am with this software. It is very powerful and I love the features. Thanks!

-methods

I am in agreement methods, this software rocks......now if I can get it rocking with the version 3 boards :evil:

Neil,
thanks, I had a lyen's cable, but could never get the driver for that working on my old toshiba laptop.....I butchered it & put on a ttl adapter i had a disk for that has always worked perfectly with the original kewin bike labs parameter designer & lyen's version of the same thing.....& my much preferred XPD.

Still works fine for my older controllers with the newest version of XPD.

I am confident I have the wiring correct.....but have yet to flash a v3 board. If there is more stuff I need I'll have to get shopping. Thanks for the help.

Thud said:
Neil,
thanks, I had a lyen's cable, but could never get the driver for that working on my old toshiba laptop.....I butchered it & put on a ttl adapter i had a disk for that has always worked perfectly with the original kewin bike labs parameter designer & lyen's version of the same thing.....& my much preferred XPD.

Still works fine for my older controllers with the newest version of XPD.

I am confident I have the wiring correct.....but have yet to flash a v3 board. If there is more stuff I need I'll have to get shopping. Thanks for the help.

It could mean you will have to get shopping . I have two Lyen cables, both different. The newer one needs a newer driver from Lyen, speak to him about getting a new one.

I'll try and get images of the exact wiring that I know works on my EB306 boards today. Won't be able to post to here from the iPhone, but keep an eye on the Facebook ES page photos. This should at least confirm that the wiring you have IS as it should be.

i do have pictures here..but can't remember exactly which controller and what cable..so will take pics of the known working wiring later.

OK,so still not done my own jobs yet..but here are pics of wiring of working programming wiring for the EB306 Keywin board with Lyen cable.

One thing I did note that I thought was strange..the press switch in the programmin glead. I always assumed it BROKE the ground line to make the controller accept the upload. It actually Makes the ground connection momentarily. the switch is normally open, pressing it makes the ground connection

You can see the link that connects SLK2 to Tx

Photos are in order, from controller to the USB adapter.

Attachments

• EB306 Keywin 001 (Medium).jpg
    EB306 Keywin 001 (Medium).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 3,612
  • EB306 Keywin 002 (Medium).jpg
    EB306 Keywin 002 (Medium).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 3,612
  • EB306 Keywin 003 (Medium).jpg
    EB306 Keywin 003 (Medium).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 3,612
  • EB306 Keywin 004 (Medium).jpg
    EB306 Keywin 004 (Medium).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 3,612
  • EB306 Keywin 005 (Medium).jpg
    EB306 Keywin 005 (Medium).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 3,612
  • EB306 Keywin 006 (Medium).jpg
    EB306 Keywin 006 (Medium).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3,612
I will also post this up this is my v3 adaptor. The capacitor fixed quite a lot of issues for me when using the lead on different pc's .

V3 programming wiring.jpg

thanks guys,
Ill be trying again tonight with a fresh attitude :p
am i also seeing correctly you have the ttl's tx wire going to the rx port on the controller?
& vicea versa?

(seems to me the old units met straight up as tx to tx & rx to rx but its been awhile)

gwhy! said:
I will also post this up this is my v3 adaptor. The capacitor fixed quite a lot of issues for me when using the lead on different pc's .

Interesting, that your adapter breaks the power line. The Ed Lyen adapter CONNECTS the ground line momentarily, the ground is wired to the N.O contacts of the press switch

Thud said:
thanks guys,

am i also seeing correctly you have the ttl's tx wire going to the rx port on the controller?
& vicea versa?

(

Correct, the transmitting end needs to be connected to the receiver at the other end.

Im pretty sure this is how it is tx>rx and rx>tx I drew my diagram from memory and using NeilP photos , but I am 99.9% sure as anything else would have seemed odd to me at the time when I put it together. try it and see if you still have no joy then swap the tx/rx over , and let me know and I will change the diagram.

the switch in the + is a normally closed switch , it not always needed to be pressed/released to make the transmision sometimes it will just upload, think it something to do with the cap.

edit: I should say that my adaptor this was not from lyen

we are back in buisness!
thanks for the help...I ended up making a new cable from scratch & using an different yet identicle ttl adapter (much shorter wires though) i get a power surge warning from my laptop's usb port (only flashing the 18fet units) but the software looks right & says successful.

Out of interest did you use a momentary switch in line with one of the wires, if so which one, ground or 5v and did you connect it NC or NO ?

I just left the 5+ wire out of the harness ....started the send & plugged it in last..(too rushed to look for a button switch)
Instant transfer.
Just finished bench testing jesters new controller...works a charm.

Back