World Domination, I just got my self a 3d Printer!!!

Solder has weirder melting properties than thermoplastics. Thermoplastics have this very friendly curve where they're melty and sticky. Solder instead is just sort of runny or not, and so it will leak out of the nozzle too thickly, and bead up on the surfaces it touches. This is from what I've read.

That said, people sometimes mod these to do milling-pcb work (with a dremel type head) , so they start with a plain of copper on top of pcb board, and cut away the space between the traces you need. This can actually work quite well on certain designs, and has the added benefit of being able to drill holes. And most design software allows "zones" that mean you're not cutting a ton of stuff, you're merely cutting away space between parts that need to be electrically separated [I'm repeating myself].

spinningmagnets said:
There is a need for the type of tube clamps that will allow connecting a battery compartment to a bike triangle. Some bikes have a section of tube that is somewhat triangular in cross section. Others are oval. The easiest tubes to home-fabricate clamps to are circular and square/rectangular. I'm thinking something like this (turned sideways, bolts on the sides):

images

Four of these connected to the frame triangle (two on the top-tube, one on the down-tube, one on the seat-tube?) will provide a secure base to attach side plates. Once you have side plates in place (aluminum, 1/4-inch plywood?), an interior structure can be attached to the inside of the side-plates to properly secure the battery pack. Almost all seat-tubes are circular in cross-section, but the top-tubes and down-tubes are sometimes funky.

images

edit: just realized, since most seat-tubes are circular, perhaps two of the hydraulic tubing clamps can be used on the seat-tube (like the readily available one shown) and just one each of the custom 3d-printed clamps on the other two mounting points?

Does that clamp currently exist?

3d printers represent a whole new world of possibilities. Create your own part, make prototypes, make slugs for making a mold to cast in other materials.

For blue prints, there are "print centers". Has anyone opened up a CNC / 3D print shop?

Adrian's friction drive (commuter booster) has some mounts, and he seems to be a very good ES contributor. It'll ultimately be easiest to go through him. But I admit my own plan is to use my 3D printer and "copy" in so far as mimicking a custom print for one of my bikes, at some point.

KevXR said:
If you mean the one in the photo, then yes. I have half of one in my "found this bit on the road while riding, maybe it'll be useful someday" bin. ;)

They come in a number of diameters.

Hey Nechaus, are you printing in 1.7mm or 3mm feedstock? It'd be good to set up a swap bank of filament in Australia - a kilo of every colour costs a lot to set up and I'd be lucky to have used 50 grams so far! I didn;t realise so much air went into the internal mesh of these extruded models versus the SLA method which is >95% solid....

amberwolf said:
KevXR said:
If you mean the one in the photo, then yes. I have half of one in my "found this bit on the road while riding, maybe it'll be useful someday" bin. ;)

Do you have a part name and company to buy them from? Those clamps seem like they would be great for fasting motors and other items to bike frames. I was looking a building a "rail bike" for riding on rail road tracks. Attaching poles to the frame was a big challenge. Those rubber half shell clamps would have made it easier.

KevXR said:
amberwolf said:
KevXR said:

Do you have a part name and company to buy them from? Those clamps seem like they would be great for fasting motors and other items to bike frames. I was looking a building a "rail bike" for riding on rail road tracks. Attaching poles to the frame was a big challenge. Those rubber half shell clamps would have made it easier.

These may not be the same as amberwolf's clamp but they look the same--Alan B used them here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21390&start=285#p387821
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21390&start=285#p388158 :

DX Engineering Block Clamps
http://www.dxengineering.com/search...ering-resin-support-block-clamps?autoview=SKU

you can likely find conduit clamps with a neoprene ring that goes inside. the ring will be split already too and you could find an electrical supply store that might carry it. use the flanges that would usually go to the wall to hold the conduit in place as the mount for the battery case.

nechaus said:
Hey, So I decided to buy a Plastic 3d Printer, It uses either Pla Or abs Plastic, I ordered 2kg of pla plastic to start with.
Hopefully i can make electrical connectors, bike mounts for phones and cables and possible even lipo hard case and mounts, who knows, I have never used one of these things b4. but i have a massive list of things i can make, my partner is pretty keen on it, she can make a fair few things.
http://www.3dstuffmaker.com I got the eVOLUTION Model, Can make anything up to 200mm x 200mm x200mm
paid $1400 inc shipping + insurance and 2kg of pla. all assembled tested and calibrated. Who else has one of these type of machines ?

Hey yourself nechaus because you are on the cutting edge of an upcoming HUGE revolution on how stuff is manufactured. :lol:

Most every house will have one in about 10 years. 3D Print your own ebike anyone?

But you know how tech works, after 3 years it is fit for a boat anchor. My feelings about it is this. Make stuff you want and also make stuff to sell to try to mitigate the cost of the printer which will be fully obsolete in 5 years. :(

On the other hand, manufacturing will need people who can design patterns for home consumption.

:D

Sort of on-topic ;) , do any of you with printers think it'd be possible to print new parts for this? (assuming I can get accurate dimensions and draw it up)

IMG_6782.JPG

IMG_6776.JPG

View attachment 4

IMG_6773.JPG

IMG_6774.JPG

View attachment 1

IMG_6778.JPG

I *may* have a usable gear out of an old printer, but I have to go thru my box of gears and the couple of deceased but not yet parted-out printers to see if any match it's size and tooth count.

I can probably repair the cracked/broken mount, or maybe file out a new one from something else, maybe metal, but it's a fairly complex shape, which I'd likely screw up. :oops: Repairing would be easier.

As it is, it does actually slew counterclockwise, IIRC, but not the other way (just clacks cuz no pressure on gears). The stripped gear actually works ok, but since it's cracked, too (was actually bent over when I opened it up), it's gonna come apart sooner or later, and being nylon I can't glue it. Might be able to melt the crack together.

amberwolf said:
Sort of on-topic ;) , do any of you with printers think it'd be possible to print new parts for this? (assuming I can get accurate dimensions and draw it up) ..........

What happened to that? Looks like it was following a extremely fast comet and couldn't keep up. "Wizzzzz-Bang" :shock:

If this thing is printable http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q10Jz2qIog8 :( .....
then your telescope parts are certainly printable.

Any good with Autodesk? Sketchup? Been learning Solidworks lately myself cuz every house is going to have a 3D printer.

e-beach said:
What happened to that? Looks like it was following a extremely fast comet and couldn't keep up. "Wizzzzz-Bang" :shock:
Dunno. I got it that way. I presume either it was dropped or banged around, or someone hand-moved the mechanism (which wont work because of the worm gear), the teeth fo the gears pushed up on each other forcing the worm gear and bracket away from the main gear, putting too much pressure on the mount's (now cracked/broken) base, breaking it. Dunno about the cracked gear, but I expect that's a casting defect, it cracked, then because it couldn't mesh properly it damaged teeth. The little gear it meshes with looks ok from what I can see, but I'd have to take it apart to be sure.

Any good with Autodesk? Sketchup?
Just Lightwave3D (6? 8? I forget), and a long time ago the very old TrueSpace v1 or 2. It doesn't output solid models but I'm sure I could convert it's output (LWO) to one.

Hey guys,

I have been reading this thread but have not yet replied due to crazy amounts of work i have at the moment.
I have not been able to 100% utilize my 3dprinter to its full potential due to my crappy designs skills,

my strategy, Ordered noopept off ebay ( nootropic), going to do a short design course over a weekend and cram as much information into my brain as i can,
Today been looking around at the best way to approach this, basically looking for a good course that will help me design all sorts of ebike parts, and allow me to use a popular cad or 3d program blender/autocad efficiently, so time poor atm

I have been doing more research on an nylon extruder for my printer, looks like its going to be a pain in the butt to do, due to the fact of having to upgrade my mother board that can handle such hi heat extruder...

im going to be doing a bulk order of PLA next week, if anyone is interested in going 1/2's with me in a big order, PM me, thinking about 10 kg of pla all up..

I use 3.0mm PLA ideally 2.7mm

thinking of ordering from 3dstuffmaker.com they seem to have good quality PLA so ill ask what kinda of prices they can give me for 10kg of the stuff

im very keen on getting some flexible PLA, try it out see how strong it actually is, looks great for making rc tyres, phone cases ect...

Anybody see the news article about the 10 year old boy that had an artificial hand (fingers) printed and they were attached to a glove type item, and, the fingers are controlled by cables and such. . He can handle a ball and pick up items with that hand, as a "prototype".

You guys need to see the big picture ? :wink: :lol:

Enjoy all the info supplied on this thread. Keep it going. 8)

I'm thinking there needs to be a seperate group of threads for 3D - poor old Nechaus has been threadjacked so much since the inception!

Google sketchup, although it just changed hands. So keep a copy of the installer.

spinningmagnets said:
I've been told that "Rhino" is good for drawing 2D files (CNC plates?), and "Solidworks" is good for 3D stuff, any advice?

I was doing Sketchup for a while and it was intuitive enough, free but basic. I have been learning Solidworks lately and it is very complex at first, but once you get past the vertical learning curve it is a very nice program. A lot of supporting info on the internet and the public librarys around here.

How about your very own 40mm LiFePO4 battery holders?

Oh I started on Lightwave, did my phd on Mechanica on a silicon graphics workstation, worked for a large corporation utilising Cinema3D to do packshots, and used Rhino for packaging development. There isn't a thing that you can do on those paid-for packages that can't be achieved with open-source plugins in Sketchup.

It's all pretty similar nowadays!

Get a copy of OpenScad too - parametric things based on input variables are so much easier than using explicit modelling software for those kinds of items. You can download a parametric fastener, change the parameters for a M8 metric fastener 35mm long, and mash go. You'll have your model in about 3 seconds.

Last OT on telescope:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=701042#p701042
is an update to my OT post here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=697923#p697923

I don't know if it has been mentioned but you can use your kinect for 3d scanning [youtube]BjB-glQzNes[/youtube]

Have any of you guys printed with nylon yet? I'm reading some really impressive things about this stuff http://www.taulman3d.com/and its about the same price as the ABS I'm getting from Ultimachine. I'll probably try some out here in the near future.

Here is an infographic that some people might find useful. I call 'BS' for step two on the shape limitations on sketchup due to the massive raft of plugins, but I did that to death already above. The other steps might make sense to those thinking of having a go.
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130215-infographic-step-by-step-guide-for-3d-printing-with-a-reprap.html

Cheers.

Back