Mushymelon's Strong build

mushymelon

1 kW
I picked up a strong electric bike for a few dollars used. Looks like there will be lots of room for lipo. Its a bit of a strange design but the frame is steel and i plan on beefing up the weld in certain areas. The hardware is shit and some looks custom like the extra wide crank. No sure where im going to find parts for that. Im planning on using a golden motor I have for this project. Im also going to use downhill front forks and upgrade rear shock. Im thinkin 2.5 hookworms 24 or 26".

A few questions

How much power can the golden motor take without upgrading the wires. Currently runs 1500 watts and 31 amps peak with no heat issues. I would like to go 70, 90v lipo. 15 to 20 ah

Whats the best bang for the buck in lipo currently. Chargers too.

what controller would you recommend in a small form factor that can handle 70 90v 40 to 50 amps Im hoping to get 35 to 40 mph

IMG_0252.jpg

Unique torque arms

Anyone recognize this motor Z logo on it.

IMG_0250.jpg

Hey Mushymelon.

I picked up one of these bikes relatively cheaply as well. Here in Canada they were sold as Strong GTS
The giant integrated Battery box,full suspension and relatively comfy cockpit, really piqued my interest.
My intention is to upgrade battery, controller, and motor as well.

A couple of things you my want to consider.

1. The drop-out spacing is huge, 210mm iirc, most hub motors will not fit. Axle length is usually to short.
This frame would be a good candidate for some seriously thick clamping type drop-outs welded on the inside of the swingarm.
That would allow most Frocks to be used. And at big power to boot.

2. This is an all steel tank of a bike, I dont think you will need to weld for frame stiffness.

3. I haven't taken mine apart to measure yet, but I suspect that the steerer will be the older 1" standard, that will make it more difficult to source a proper front fork. And believe me that fork/pogo shock cry for upgrading if you are planning to go over 30kmh, which in it's current configuration is just a remote dream.

The motor is an old brushed hunk of ass. Mine gets warmer @ 350w than my C-lyte HS3540 @ 1500w.
Worst PAS system ever.

I hope I haven't discouraged you. I think it will make a solid platform with a little work.

Good luck, I be keeping an eye on ya, to see what solutions you come up with.

mushymelon said:
The Steerer tube measures in at 1 1/8, had me worried there.The golden motor will fit nicely too. I will have to make some spacers to get it lined up.

This is great news. For curiosity sake, how long is the golden motor axle? Which Golden motor do you have?

mushymelon said:
A few questions

How much power can the golden motor take without upgrading the wires. Currently runs 1500 watts and 31 amps peak with no heat issues. I would like to go 70, 90v lipo. 15 to 20 ah

I am not familiar with Golden motors, but I'm sure others can chime in if you can provide motor model.
Golden motors offers four or five different hub designs IIRC. From 250w geared hubs, to 1000w DD, to the torquey MagicPie.
From your watts/amps stats I'm assuming your running 48V ish. What sort of speed are you currently getting?
I don't believe that 20s (74v nom.) @30 amps will be to much trouble. 24s (88.8v nom.) @ 30amps might be pushing it without upgrades, but others real world experience will let you know for sure. Again your model will dictate how fast/much power it can handle without upgrades.

mushymelon said:
Whats the best bang for the buck in lipo currently. Chargers too.
For Lipo and Lipo accessories, Hobbyking.com is pretty tough to beat.
Especially if you have a warehouse in your home country.

mushymelon said:
what controller would you recommend in a small form factor that can handle 70 90v 40 to 50 amps Im hoping to get 35 to 40 mph

I don't think any brushless e-bike controller will fit in the same space as the current brushed controller. I pulled mine out to investigate and that thing is tiny. The good news is that there is lots of room on this frame to fit a controller that fit your power requirements.

Keep us posted. I think this is a ideal e-bike platform, with component upgrades of course :wink: and am excited to see what you end up with.

John in CR said:
210mm dropouts is perfect for most scooter hubbies. Time to upgrade for some real power. 8)

That's the plan here John.
This
Baja 500.jpeg
in it's current rat state
A side of Rat.jpg
Is going to donate this
The Motivator.jpg
to this
GT_S_top_class_e_bike.jpg

I hope some upgrades to fork, 20" front wheel, longer shock to get the geometry right, plus 18s lipo
will equal big fun. :mrgreen:

My winter project to come.

Brentis said:
This is great news. For curiosity sake, how long is the golden motor axle? Which Golden motor do you have?

I have the 1000 watt ver axle measures in at 230mm 220mm usable thread, because some thread is notched out to accommodate for the wires to come out the side. The distance between dropouts on this bike is only 185mm-190mm once the back tire is off. It was stretched out a bit with the tire and motor on. This should make it a good candidate for most motors.

IMG_0032.jpg

Now following this thread with interest. I have a bike very similar to this which looks a bit like this right now:

tornado.jpg

At the moment I've just added another 12V SLA to make 48V, replaced the stock controller (which didn't like 48V), replaced the analog voltmeter with a Hobby King power analyser, and added a torque arm. Next I'm planning to fit a cellman DD brushless motor and controller.

All in detail here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32898 with lots of noob questions and mistakes.

I ended up with 2 of those same motors - I believe it is called a P2A or a P2B.
I have run them using a 36v controller from Monster Scooter Parts, at up to 60v, and they performed well.
Now one of them is seized after I tested it no-load at 80v with a chinese controller.
The other I have installed on my wife's bike, though I haven't told her yet :? .
Good little motors for certain applications.

I think my motor is older. I bought the bike in 2002. It's not geared. I had to open it up a few days ago and pull out one of the brush springs that had overheated and got stuck. I think some solder had melted inside too...

I've had some progress with this build lately. Mostly gathering parts, but i did start chopping the frame and dropped some money on the things i need to get the bike rolling. Electronics and batteries will be done over the winter.

Found a good deal on some used shocks Junior t's in the front, proshock in the rear less than $200 for both.

IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg

I took the plunge and cut the frame to accommodate the front shocks and started fabricating the bits to build it back up not easy with the tools in my shop but so far im happy with the results.

View attachment 3
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg

Look crazy strong!.. as well !

Doc

parajared said:
Don't make it too heavy! Looks like she's about ready for a motorcross run with that much re-enforcement.

Exactly what I'm after. More weight up front can't hurt.

Im also planning for future motor upgrades, for now I'm going with an 8x8 hot rodded golden motor but I'm thinking cro motor in the future.

Doctorbass said:
Look crazy strong!.. as well !

Doc

I'm trying to correct the false advertising of the original.

Thank you for the torque arms there great. I didn't mount them traditionally, so I have the pre tapped derailed hole available to install some kind of axle/wheel lock it will work out great.

This is now the crazy strong electric bike build.

Some more progress.

Motor mods finished, 12g phase wires and temperature probe wires. Air cooling holes.

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Here she is with a little paint. I was able to build up most of the bike and go for a ride in the snow and ice. Its feels really solid and comfortable. Takes the rough stuff very well, I was wishing for power after about 4 blocks. peddling through heavy snow sucks.

IMG_3294.jpg
View attachment 2

Heres my custom lights. Two 1200w t6's with wide beam lens' and one 1800 MX U2 Zoom in the middle high beam. (crazy bright lol)

View attachment 1

Santa came late this year and brought me 99% of the items I need to finish.

Happy Happy!

IMG_3287.jpg

I love what you did with the frame, beautiful metal work! I'm jealous of your couch, nice collection 8) How much power (volts/amps) do you plan on running? How many amp hours and where the hell are you gonna stash all those bricks? :lol:

Qwiksand said:
I love what you did with the frame, beautiful metal work! I'm jealous of your couch, nice collection 8) How much power (volts/amps) do you plan on running? How many amp hours and where the hell are you gonna stash all those bricks? :lol:

Thanks man

100v 45a rated 15ah the bricks will go in the frame hopfully (12 x 6s 5000) the controller gets wedged in the frame too.

Very impressive modding of the stock frame! Shes definitely hell strong up front
where it needs to be, last thing you needs is the head tube parting company from the frame!

Look forward to seeing her running..best of luck with the rest of the build ;)

KiM

Back