DIY longtail -could it be this easy?

My built-out longtail is further reported and pictured today.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42103

mid-BB as a jackshaft for a non-hub motor...brilliant!

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48535
oat6vd.jpg

More current picture of my longtail, Bouncing Betty. Even this pic is out of date though, the big green bags now replaced with some smaller black saddlebags.

Also now sporting a 5304 rear motor, and 48v 40 amps controller, and an upgraded front fork. She hauls ass now, cruising just above 30mph, and can cruise that speed down a washboard dirt road very comfortably.

Bouncing Betty, 2013.jpg

Thanks again for this thread, which inspired me to get out the welder.

He's got two in the motor mounts, they just bolt on. For sure though, the more you truss it the stronger it would be.

CrazyBike2 had no cetner triangulation for quite a long time (removed for weight and for cargo space enlargment), and made it easier to stow cargo in the center, like dog food bags, battery boxes, etc. But eventually teh twisting and flexing cracked thru the toptube, and during a laydown/slide during an emergency stop last year, it finished that off. If it weren't for the construction methods and design of the seat/etc, I would not have been able to ride it home...but I made it the rest of teh trip like that. :)

It now has triangulation bars there, though.

It's replacement, in progress, will have one solid bar on one side and one removable on the other, so I can still use it for battery or cargo but still be stronger/less twisty. Optionally it might just get side covers that bolt to the "four corners" instead, doing the same job.

Most recent pic of bouncing betty.Bouncing Betty 5-2013.jpg

Added second set of faux leather saddle bags, seat with new white lycra cover, a front fender, a rear view mirror, and some big rear reflectors and a mount for a blinky light. In this climate, a white seat is priceless. No more hop on and :shock: .

Powered by a new 48v 10 ah Turnigy 20c lico battery that fits nice in the frame box. Gets me 15 miles at wot, including back up the hill from town. Max speed when the battery is still full, 33mph! 48v 14s 10ah lipo.jpg

I wanted a cellman A123 pack for it, but only had $200. I've begun to bulk charge with my old kingpan 5 amps charger from the now muerta pingbattery.

Coming from HK, a dongle to run a USB port from leftover 2s lipo. It will keep a phone or ipod charged, and run a led flashlight for the headlight.

Back